• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Microsoft has already proven that they can create great teams producing quality games.

They did it with Halo and 343 and so they did with Playground and Horizon (which is amazing).

And it seems they were just getting started. The first two years of the new xbox will be crucial.

Even Sony, whose first party offerings are so highly regarded, had a very rough start.

Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Lair and such can't compare to the likes of Uncharted, Killzone, etc (even though HS and Lair were second party).

I can't wait for some announcements.

I'm expecting Microsoft to go all out on their day 1 first party efforts while Sony will spread them out over the first year. Both are actually in really good places to have good games early on from their top devs.

Has it? They are borderline last place in terms of hardware sales, this is despite having a year lead over one of Sony's worst starts to the generation. They also do not have dominance in any major region. Third party exclusives are probably going to be much harder to come by as well.

Microsoft have two IP's left which have appeal to the type of gamers they attracted heavily to the 360 in its early stages, however one of those has taken so much damage since 2009 that it has a fraction of the influence it once held, and the other has only ever performed modest numbers. Neither of these are going to attract people to Xbox Live next generation, couple this with Xbox live slowly, but steadily descending into third place as an online service (despite being the only one that is a paid service) and it is quite clear that incompetent Microsoft are going to need to invest in some new properties to distinguish themselves in this upcoming generation.

it's less about position and more about taking marketshare away from your direct competitor. that's where microsoft's success lies this gen, don't focus on just numbers, look at the story behind those numbers, that's the real success story.

no-one thought they'd steal the US from sony, no-one thought they'd steal the UK from sony and make some in roads into their other regions. it's all about market-share and microsoft have done considerable damage to sony.

that's opinion. halo 4 was a great title. it might have upset a few core fans, but with the inexorable rise of call of duty, it's not surprising that people moved onto call of duty and halo saw a decline in numbers playing. next gen will see the rise of a different title, maybe the first person shooter they have in development with black tusk or maybe destiny will hit it big, no-one can really know for certain what the future will bring.

and again, new gen brings new possibilities. you're allowing your current gen feelings to cloud your judgement a little I feel. you may be right, but the last two gens, microsoft have come out very strong with a number of core titles and third party exclusives and have stayed strong for a few years. I expect the same again, but we'll see.

Don't know if I can talk about the others, but the new Microsoft London studio for example is entirely mobile/tablet focused.

ah, thanks.

Conor 419

Banned
it's less about position and more about taking marketshare away from your direct competitor. that's where microsoft's success lies this gen, don't focus on just numbers, look at the story behind those numbers, that's the real success story.

no-one thought they'd steal the US from sony, no-one thought they'd steal the UK from sony and make some in roads into their other regions. it's all about market-share and microsoft have done considerable damage to sony.

More relevant to Sony's failings, if anything. It's not like they own the UK market.

that's opinion. halo 4 was a great title. it might have upset a few core fans, but with the inexorable rise of call of duty, it's not surprising that people moved onto call of duty and halo saw a decline in numbers playing. next gen will see the rise of a different title, maybe the first person shooter they have in development with black tusk or maybe killzone will finally hit it big, no-one can really know for certain what the future will bring.

Regardless, with respect to XBLA hitting third place, and Microsoft not having the advantage of 'everyone playing on Xbox'. I doubt this theoretical new IP will have major appeal on their platform next generation.

and again, new gen brings new possibilities. you're allowing your current gen feelings to cloud your judgement a little I feel. you may be right, but the last two gens, microsoft have come out very strong with a number of core titles and third party exclusives and have stayed strong for a few years. I expect the same again, but we'll see.

Microsoft's early generation game for the 360 was excellent, 2007 was perhaps, the best year a platform has ever seen. I just hold doubts as to whether incompetent Microsoft will live up to that.

I forgot about Nintendo. Yes, they have sold the most in both markets but from a mind share perspective the 360 is the leading console.

???

That info is pretty widely available.

For core projects, I only see these as a lock:

343 industries
Turn 10
Lionhead
Black Tusk Studios
Rare

Those are safe bets. You can find info stating otherwise for the others though:

Microsoft Los Angeles
Platform next
Microsoft Victoria

Quick search for others will tell similar stories.

It really doesn't seem like MS is gonna bank on 1st party to deliver core experiences, rather they will at best contract other studios (like Crytek, like Epic, Playground, etc) to beef up their offerings.

But yeah...it could all look a lil less casual heh MS?

BlackJace

I'm really interested to see how they will handle the brand name this time around. We saw how the Wii U's name bit Ninty in the ass.

More relevant to Sony's failings, if anything. It's not like they own the UK market.

I disagree. it's more to do with microsoft's success than sony's failings. exclusives, promises of exclusive, the focus on online gaming. it resonated with gamers. sony were left reeling and rightfully so.

Regardless, with respect to XBLA hitting third place. I doubt this new IP will have major appeal on their platform.

we just can't know. who could have predicted call of duty becoming the beast that it did? it's impossible to know how a game will be received. if it does everything right like call of duty 4 did, then you've got a winner on your hands, but it's equally as easy to mess up.

Microsoft's early generation game for the 360 was excellent, 2007 was perhaps, the best year a platform has ever seen. I just hold doubts as to whether incompetent Microsoft will live up to that.

and you're right to hold those doubts, but at the same time, they have shown they are willing to dedicate resources to first party studios and shown a willingness to throw money at third parties if they feel the ip will be a success.

I have my doubts about microsoft, but then I have my doubts about sony too. I feel the best thing to do is let go of past issues / feelings and see what they both bring to the table with an open mind.

Tagg9

BigPark is also reportedly working on a AAA title at the moment (developers of Joy Ride). I assumed they were working on a crappy motion control-based game, but it's supposedly going to be a big new IP for Microsoft. I don't think we'll hear about it until next year, though. (If anyone's wondering, I heard this from a friend of someone who did a co-op work term there.)

TheOddOne

BigPark is also reportedly working on a AAA title at the moment (developers of Joy Ride). I assumed they were working on a crappy motion control-based game, but it's supposedly going to be a big new IP for Microsoft. I don't think we'll hear about it until next year, though. (If anyone's wondering, I heard this from a friend of someone who did a co-op work term there.)
Do you mean Black Tusk Studios (It is their sister studio)?

onQ123

Just in case people missed this from the other VGLeaks thread

VGLeaks posted this on their Facebook page

frabz-Brace-yourselves-Monday-is-coming-078620.jpg

That gels with what I found a year or so ago. A portfolio for a freelance writer who's other credits included Bully and Socom claimed to be working on a new IP for Big Park writing the storyline and several characters.

Conor 419

Banned
*Studios*

Are Lionhead and Rare safe bets for hardcore titles? Lionhead has lost key staff, not to mention their most recent title was Kinect exclusive (and a complete flop). Rare haven't put a hardcore game out for over half a decade.

Microsoft are pretty much relying on their last, best developer (Turn 10) and the unproven 'Black Tusk Studios', to cater to the hardcore.

Are Lionhead and Rare safe bets for hardcore titles? Lionhead has lost key staff, not to mention their most recent title was Kinect exclusive (and a complete flop). Rare haven't put a hardcore game out for over half a decade.

Lionhead are reportedly working on a new IP with MMO-like elements, and probably a separate team working on Fable 4. Rare were advertising last year for "multiple AAA future console releases" with prefered candidates having experience in the Action/Adventure or FPS genre.

Conor 419

Banned
Lionhead are reportedly working on a new IP with MMO-like elements, and probably a separate team working on Fable 4. Rare were advertising last year for "multiple AAA future console releases" with prefered candidates having experience in the Action/Adventure or FPS genre.

I'm not sure Lionhead have the manpower to support two projects like that.

We shall see, Renly, come the dawn. We shall see.

I'm not sure Lionhead have the manpower to support two projects like that.

Well that's what they've been advertising for. They employ hundreds of people. Fable The Journey was created by the Milo team while the Fable 3 team moved onto their next big thing. Plus they had another separate team working on Fable Heroes. They have more than enough people to create two games. Perhaps not two AAA retail games, but they're definitely working on something core related. My guess is Fable 4 and a free-to-play MMO-like downloadable game.

TheOddOne

Durango to be backwards compatible and have TWO scaler chips?
We Say: Our source from our Sister Site has never let us down yet. We're leaning towards a yes on this one.

Source Says:
(09:33:46) Source:: Something they don't mention, though, is the new box will have TWO scaler chips... and what's cool about that is the UI can always be 1080p, while in-game rendering resolutions can scaled to increase perf as needed... two dynamic resolution planes.It's nifty.

(09:34:29) Source:: It'll definitely be BC... definitely. But, will every game work? Probably not...

Conor 419

Banned
Well that's what they've been advertising for. They employ hundreds of people. Fable The Journey was created by the Milo team while the Fable 3 team moved onto their next big thing. Plus they had another separate team working on Fable Heroes. They have more than enough people to create two games. Perhaps not two AAA retail games, but they're definitely working on something core related.

Link?

coldfoot

Banned
Why would you need TWO scaler chips to accomplish that? Unlike 3D graphics, you don't need to render the UI at variable different resolutions. You only need two: 720p and 1080p (fuck SDTV owners) and would overlay the proper version based on which screen resolution is selected. The one scaler would scale the graphics to the selected output resolution. There is no reason to dynamically scale the UI...

They are borderline last place in terms of hardware sales, this is despite having a year lead over one of Sony's worst start to a generation, ever. They also do not have dominance in any major region. Third party exclusives are probably going to be much harder to come by as well.

Microsoft have two IP's left which have appeal to the type of gamers they attracted heavily to the 360 in its early stages, however one of those has taken so much damage since 2009 that it has a fraction of the influence it once held, and the other has only ever performed modest numbers. Neither of these are going to attract people to Xbox Live next generation, couple this with Xbox live slowly, but steadily descending into third place as an online service (despite being the only one that is a paid service) and it is quite clear that incompetent Microsoft are going to need to invest in some new properties to distinguish themselves in this upcoming generation.

This is unsurprising. With Rare and Lionhead being essentially dead, Microsoft had better hope Black Tusk's title actually has some appeal, otherwise all of these shitty Kinect projects + Call of Halo is going to be a deterrent, if anything.
Nintendo, Nintendo again.

Regardless, with respect to XBLA hitting third place, and Microsoft not having the advantage of 'everyone playing on Xbox'. I doubt this theoretical new IP will have major appeal on their platform next generation.

Microsoft are pretty much relying on their last, best developer (Turn 10) and the unproven 'Black Tusk Studios', to cater to the hardcore.
You've jumped into this thread with a lot of BS, and your belligerent ramblings make no sense.

First of all, if you wanna talk numbers and sales then Microsoft has utterly crushed Sony in North America and UK, this is coming from a generation where Sony was outselling the Xbox 6 TIMES over. Microsoft will also be overtaking the Wii very soon in LTD sales in these markets and are already selling more than the PS3/Wii combined on a month-to-month basis. You wanna give all of this credit to Sony's failings, but supposedly Sony is at its peak over the past few years, with Killzone/Uncharted/God of War, yet Microsoft has crushed them with the Kinect initiative. So why is it that Sony at its best isn't able beat Microsoft when they are supposedly at their worst?

As for games, the last major Gears, Fable and Forza title still sold more than 95% of all of Sonys titles. And Halo 4 is the highest selling Halo title in the franchise history so far into it's release period. It's also likely sold more than all of Sony's 2012 first party titles combined.

Now, as for quality, people like you are quick to proclaim the death of Lionhead and RARE, when their (and Microsoft's) focus on Kinect is exactly what led to the rejuvenation of the 360's sales and where we now see the 360 taking half the marketshare every month. Although, you'd be foolish to think that these large studios (each of them have multiple teams) aren't going to be focused on hardcore titles come next gen. Lionhead and RARE were doing incredible things this gen before Sony fans could latch on to Killzone and Uncharted. They have some of the most technically proficient developers in the world. You would have to be really naive to not see where Microsoft's focus is for the new gen. There's a reason they've started up half a dozen new studios for the next gen.

And lastly, what the hell is up with the constant "Xbox Live is in third place" BS? You realize that XBLA/DLC/DD releases in general vastly outsell anything on the PSN or WiiWare right? Just look at the 5 million sales of Minecraft on XBLA. Microsoft's also has a much bigger software push for XBLA than either of their competitors. XBLA is still the dominant console Digital Platform.

Xbox Live itself is over 40 million+ users, which you better believe are vastly more active than Playstation or Wii users. Not to mention that Microsoft actually makes revenue from it and isn't giving it away for free. You would think Sony would be able to muster higher sales on its Digital Platform, yet time and time again we see that XBLA titles performs a lot better.

coldfoot

Banned
Xbox Live itself is over 40 million+ users, which you better believe are vastly more active than Playstation or Wii users. Not to mention that Microsoft actually makes revenue from it and isn't giving it away for free.
XBL does not have 40 million PAYING users. That number includes all subs.

You've jumped into this thread with a lot of BS, and your belligerent ramblings make no sense.

First of all, if you wanna talk numbers and sales then Microsoft has utterly crushed Sony in North America and UK, this is coming from a generation where Sony was outselling the Xbox 6 TIMES over. Microsoft will also be overtaking the Wii very soon in LTD sales in these markets and are already selling more than the PS3/Wii combined on a month-to-month basis. You wanna give all of this credit to Sony's failings, but supposedly Sony is at its peak over the past few years, with Killzone/Uncharted/God of War, yet Microsoft has crushed them with the Kinect initiative. So why is it that Sony at its best isn't able beat Microsoft when they are supposedly at their worst?

As for games, the last major Gears, Fable and Forza title still sold more than 95% of all of Sonys titles. And Halo 4 is the highest selling Halo title in the franchise history so far into it's release period. It's also likely sold more than all of Sony's 2012 first party titles combined.

Now, as for quality, people like you are quick to proclaim the death of Lionhead and RARE, when their (and Microsoft's) focus on Kinect is exactly what led to the rejuvenation of the 360's sales and where we now see the 360 taking half the marketshare every month. Although, you'd be foolish to think that these large studios (each of them have multiple teams) aren't going to be focused on hardcore titles come next gen. Lionhead and RARE were doing incredible things this gen before Sony fans could latch on to Killzone and Uncharted. They have some of the most technically proficient developers in the world. You would have to be really naive to not see where Microsoft's focus is for the new gen. There's a reason they've started up half a dozen new studios for the next gen.

And lastly, what the hell is up with the constant "Xbox Live is in third place" BS? You realize that XBLA/DLC/DD releases in general vastly outsell anything on the PSN or WiiWare right? Just look at the 5 million sales of Minecraft on XBLA. Microsoft's also has a much bigger software push for XBLA than either of their competitors. XBLA is still the dominant console Digital Platform.

Xbox Live itself is over 40 million+ users, which you better believe are vastly more active than Playstation or Wii users. Not to mention that Microsoft actually makes revenue from it and isn't giving it away for free. You would think Sony would be able to muster higher sales on its Digital Platform, yet time and time again we see that XBLA titles performs a lot better.
What are the sales of the dd titles and exclusive titles?

Microsoft's investment into new IP was remarkable, their management of them however, was laughable.

It really depends on the perspective. They killed all the brands that didn't make a lot of money.

That would be wise management. They kept Gears, Halo, Fable, Forza, and Kinect stuff.

All multi-million sellers.

But yes, for us gamers, having lost Ensemble Studios, Bizarre, the old Rare, etc. is depressing.

What are the sales of the dd titles and exclusive titles?

Why didn't you pose the same question to Conor when he repeated the statement that somehow XBLA was in "third place"?

It really depends on the perspective. They killed all the brands that didn't make a lot of money.

That would be wise management. They kept Gears, Halo, Fable, Forza, and Kinect stuff.

But yes, for us gamers, having lost Ensemble Studios, Bizarre, the old Rare, etc. is depressing.

Yep, killed the stuff not making money, and started putting more money into cheaper downloadable titles (moneyhatting Minecraft was the smartest thing they've done in a long time), started putting money into paying for exclusives of third party DLC, timed exclusives etc. Their business isn't necessarily good for a hardcore gamer, but it's good for business.

activision shuttered bizarre. and to be fair, a lot of the talent had left rare before and during the sale to microsoft.

still, they shuttered ensemble and that deserves a lot of angry clucking aimed toward their general direction.

Conor 419

Banned
tumblr_lno7boYi7I1qa89vy.gif

First of all, if you wanna talk numbers and sales then Microsoft has utterly crushed Sony in North America and UK, this is coming from a generation where Sony was outselling the Xbox 6 TIMES over.

This has never been disputed.

Microsoft will also be overtaking the Wii very soon in LTD sales in these markets

Will they?

But supposedly Sony is at its peak over the past few years, with Killzone/Uncharted/God of War

What?

Microsoft has crushed them with the Kinect initiative.

What?

So why is it that Sony at its best isn't able beat Microsoft when they are supposedly at their worst?

Sony are not at their best, do not say again in this thread that Sony are at their best.

As for games, the last major Gears, Fable and Forza title still sold more than 95% of all of Sonys titles.

No they haven't.

And Halo 4 is the highest selling Halo title in the franchise history so far into it's release period.

It's also likely sold more than all of Sony's 2012 first party titles combined.

And what a task that was!

Now, as for quality, people like you are quick to proclaim the death of Lionhead and RARE, when their (and Microsoft's) focus on Kinect is exactly what led to the rejuvenation of the 360's sales

Rare's change in direction was a positive one commercially, but I have only stated in this thread that they are essentially dead to the hardcore. Fable: The Journey, however, did not contribute to this success, at all.

and where we now see the 360 taking half the marketshare every month. Although, you'd be foolish to think that these large studios (each of them have multiple teams) aren't going to be focused on hardcore titles come next gen.

We shall see, Renly, come the dawn. We shall see.

Lionhead and RARE were doing incredible things this gen

They have some of the most technically proficient developers in the world.

Do they?

There's a reason they've started up half a dozen new studios for the next gen.

I wont deny I am interested to see what their studios are up to, though I have large doubts that they'll have much appeal.

'Descending into third place', I said. XBLA is stronger than PSN, but certainly not Steam. I do not see XBLA holding this position over PSN as

A| We're entering a new generation
B| PSN has near feature parity, despite XBLA being a PAID service

Xbox Live itself is over 40 million+ users, which you better believe are vastly more active than Playstation or Wii users.

lol

pr0cs

Man I hope that BC rumor is true, it will make the transition to next gen a lot more attractive. As long as the 'top' titles get supported I'm fine with it being a software only solution. I was happy enough with their version of XBOX->360 emulation.
Now I wonder if Sony will be able to do the same, I suspect not considering how vastly different the PS3 is to the proposed PS4.

rdrr gnr

Certain number of games have more active players on the PS3 even though the 360 version of the game sold more -- given PSN is free. I read something about BF3 being the most active on PS3. Do you have a source for your 40+ million gold users and their activity in comparison? As well as titles selling more?

I think XBL breeds more of an ecosystem and commitment -- but you are undercutting PSN.

Also, the studios you are name-dropping are Rare and Lionhead? What? Technically proficient? Lionhead and Rare are scraping the bottom of the barrel of current-gen developers -- even if they made okay Kinect games.

Top Bottom