• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

DBT85

Re yields. A noob question, why would one encounter yield issues and the other not when they are both using the same chip?

AFAIK (I'm sure I'll be corrected) it's because both are having everything (CPU/GPU/ESRAM for XB3) on one fat ass chip. So of the entire die being fabricated, the CPU isn't that large a part of it compared to say the GPU.

Both consoles appear to be using the same CPU, but different everything else. That is where the yield differences will appear and why one might suffer more in this regard than the other.

Spongebob

Banned
The 3GB of RAM for OS is crap. That's what I'm told by people who have proven to be reliable. So is the two cores dedicated to OS.

The 3GB figure likely isn't true now, but there is no doubt that it once was.

ERP on B3D has said that the amount of RAM dedicated for the OS is only a little bit less than 3GB so were probably looking at 2.5-2.9GB being dedicated for the OS.

Jadedx

Banned
How do Microsoft's first party studios compare to Sony's from a talent perspective? I heard halo 4 looks good but haven't really heard about anything else. I honestly stopped paying attention to xbox along time ago.

Well most are new, started between 2009 and 2012, but the ones too look out for are the Canadian Studios who have a lot of talent coming from Ubi and EA Canada. Then you have the team who helps 3rd party devs make games like how SCEE foster City does for sony's first party, you'd probably get some 2nd/3rd party exclusives from them. You have also 343, Lionhead and Rare who are all making core exclusives for next gen; twisted pixel, press play, and xbla productions will be making xbla games and maybe 1 or 2 low budget retail games. The rest are relatively unknown though.

Well first party to first party its not really a contest. Microsoft should just keep doing what they did with 360 and pay for 3rd party timed exclusives and produce a couple AAA exclusive titles while focusing on the console with the superior social atmosphere and they will be doing just dandy.
there's no doubt in my mind that they'll do the same thing for the most part as this gen. If I'm MS I don't see a reason to do anything different. Spend early on 3rd party exclusives, then a year or 2 down the line just stop and focus on a few IPs and let the multiplats do the rest while they focus on services.

there's no doubt in my mind that they'll do the same thing for the most part as this gen. If I'm MS I don't see a reason to do anything different. Spend early on 3rd party exclusives, then a year or 2 down the line just stop and focus on a few IPs and let the multiplats do the rest while they focus on services.

Absolutely. Why invest the kind of money and time in your own IP when you can just keep your capital and pick the best of the bunch. Microsoft has a much better handle on scouting exciting early IP it would seem as well.

AFAIK (I'm sure I'll be corrected) it's because both are having everything (CPU/GPU/ESRAM for XB3) on one fat ass chip. So of the entire die being fabricated, the CPU isn't that large a part of it compared to say the GPU.

Both consoles appear to be using the same CPU, but different everything else. That is where the yield differences will appear and why one might suffer more in this regard than the other.

Thanks for the reply.

If there are yield issues with one of the consoles is it possible to remedy the situation before entering mass production?

ekim

Thanks for the reply.

If there are yield issues with one of the consoles is it possible to remedy the situation before entering mass production?

I guess they already have evaluated the possible yield issue rate with production tests or something.

Absolutely. Why invest the kind of money and time in your own IP when you can just keep your capital and pick the best of the bunch. Microsoft has a much better handle on scouting exciting early IP it would seem as well.
and then 3-4 years down the line people will complain about the lack of exclusive games even though they knew it was going to happen.

So begins the cycle.

DBT85

Thanks for the reply.

They'll be trying throughout production of the units to resolve any problems.

If they have their hearts set on launching on (just pulling lots of numbers out of my ass here) lets say January 1st 2014 and have been told they'll get a 50% yield for the first 3 months then they'll budget for that. But they might get to that point and find AMD have managed to get a 60% yield, or worse it might have dropped to a 40% yield. If they were really struggling then Microsoft would have to decide what to do. Accept the piss poor yield and either pass the price on to the consumer or swallow it hoping the increase over time, or delay the launch by say 3 months. Swallowing the extra cost could cost millions, but delaying 3 months waiting for yields to improve might cost them a lot of sales.

AFAIK (again, I'm expecting to be corrected) all new fabrication processes suffer from some kind of yield problem. Some are easy to iron out, some are less so.

As Sony and Microsoft, you want as high a yield as possible as that way each working chip costs less and they can either lose less on each console or maybe go into the black.

TheOddOne

I don't know if they will carbon copy their strategy from this generation to the next generation. Why focus building studios in Canada, America and Europe? There certainly seems to be a plan set in motion to make them valued assets. Heck, 343 as a studio was set in motion in 2009 and finally in 2012 we saw their first real release.

meta4

That's the thing. I dont see Sony investing in third party exclusives ever again. They have too many studios and it would be a waste of money for them to try and moneyhat IP's. The best strategy for them would be to convince as many third parties as they can to not go exclusive at any point in the beginning of the cycle by offering some form of incentive. Convince them that there is more money to be had being multiplat.

That's the thing. I dont see Sony investing in third party exclusives ever again. They have too many studios and it would be a waste of money for them to try and moneyhat IP's. The best strategy for them would be to convince as many third parties as they can to not go exclusive at any point in the beginning of the cycle by offering some form of incentive. Convince them that there is more money to be had being multiplat.

I don't think Sony has the money.

I don't know if they will carbon copy their strategy from this generation to the next generation. Why focus building studios in Canada, America and Europe? There certainly seems to be a plan set in motion to make them valued assets. Heck, 343 as a studio was set in motion in 2009 and finally in 2012 we saw their first real release.

Its smart of them to have at least some studios with exclusive output since if Orbis isn't a nightmare to develop for Microsoft can no longer count on people picking those 3rd party titles up on their system first and foremost like they could this gen. I think they are likely spreading their money out to incorporate paid exclusive content as well as first party offerings they can rely on for the dryer seasons.

Well, that is well and good, but it is unlikely there will be so much differences between multiplats this time round. This gen is was mostly no contest in that regard, apart from a few exceptions.

meta4

If they can buy Gaikai and manufacture the PS4 and find 60 million dollar games they can surely moneyhat third party dev's if they want. I feel it would be an utter waste though. What is the point of owning so many studios if you have to money hat third party games like Destiny for exclusives.

They'll be trying throughout production of the units to resolve any problems.

If they have their hearts set on launching on (just pulling lots of numbers out of my ass here) lets say January 1st 2014 and have been told they'll get a 50% yield for the first 3 months then they'll budget for that. But they might get to that point and find AMD have managed to get a 60% yield, or worse it might have dropped to a 40% yield. If they were really struggling then Microsoft would have to decide what to do. Accept the piss poor yield and either pass the price on to the consumer or swallow it hoping the increase over time, or delay the launch by say 3 months. Swallowing the extra cost could cost millions, but delaying 3 months waiting for yields to improve might cost them a lot of sales.

AFAIK (again, I'm expecting to be corrected) all new fabrication processes suffer from some kind of yield problem. Some are easy to iron out, some are less so.

As Sony and Microsoft, you want as high a yield as possible as that way each working chip costs less and they can either lose less on each console or maybe go into the black.

Thanks again. Still probably a good 6+ months before they both will enter mass production so hopefully they have enough time on their side to get where they want to get.

timed exclusive apparently. it's as good as full exclusive in most cases, especially if it's a good game.

Yeah, this is true. I think having timed exclusives like ME and GTAIV episodes did a lot to cement the reputation of the 360 as 'the gaming system' in the US and UK.

A big question for next-gen is whether or not Sony's first party studios can produce a breakout hit. Personally, I liked Killzone, but it's not like it became a household name or anything.

Ding-Ding

Thats true but you cant exactly say that MS shareholders have given an open checkbook to the xbox division lately.

Hell, the major shareholder I know indicates that the xbox line has to be very much self sufficient to avert shareholder hostility

TheOddOne

Its smart of them to have at least some studios with exclusive output since if Orbis isn't a nightmare to develop for Microsoft can no longer count on people picking those 3rd party titles up on their system first and foremost like they could this gen. I think they are likely spreading their money out to incorporate paid exclusive content as well as first party offerings they can rely on for the dryer seasons.
Yeah. I personally believe though that they will keep investing in studios, seeing as they are more and more trying to keep IP rights in their hands.

Yeah, this is true. I think having timed exclusives like ME and GTAIV episodes did a lot to cement the reputation of the 360 as 'the gaming system' in the US and UK.

A big question for next-gen is whether or not Sony's first party studios can produce a breakout hit. Personally, I liked Killzone, but it's not like it became a household name or anything.

the gta4 episodes really were a massive boon for them. it helped that the episodes were very well done, fleshed out and were considerably more enjoyable than the core game.

I still remember all the chatter about how they were going to be terrible, short and not worth the time or money, done by a b tier team at rockstar (I think people pointed to them being done by rockstar leeds) and all the rest of it and then they were released to near unanimous praise.

if they can do the same next gen, they'll be onto a sure-fire winner.

I still remember all the chatter about how they were going to be terrible, short and not worth the time or money, done by a b tier team at rockstar (I think people pointed to them being done by rockstar leeds) and all the rest of it and then they were released to near unanimous praise.
Not unlike some of the FUD being spread about Microsoft first parties at the moment.

Conor 419

Banned
Well first party to first party its not really a contest. Microsoft should just keep doing what they did with 360 and pay for 3rd party timed exclusives and produce a couple AAA exclusive titles while focusing on the console with the superior social atmosphere and they will be doing just dandy.

Or not.

Not unlike some of the FUD being spread about Microsoft first parties at the moment.

indeed. although some of that is to be expected and warranted with how microsoft have handled first party support on the 360.

I don't particularly understand the kinect complaints though, there's not much to suggest any of them are working on kinect titles, outside of ryse of course. we'll find out soon enough, e3 is only a few months away. :(

We'll have to wait.

Everything can change from one gen to the other. Sony's 1st party didn't have the same level of output in the Ps2 days.

If MS wants it, all it takes are good producers, willingness to invest, and hiring great talent. It's not rocket science.

I have friends in some Microsoft 1st party studios and I've been told that a fair number of them are focusing on mobile/tablet and kinect games.
So you can't count them the same as Sony's in terms of potential next gen support.

Not saying Sony has more, just that not all of Microsoft's will be touching the Durango.

How do Microsoft's first party studios compare to Sony's from a talent perspective? I heard halo 4 looks good but haven't really heard about anything else. I honestly stopped paying attention to xbox along time ago.

Sony with naughty dog and Santa Monica has the the top two best studio in the industry but 343 isn't that far behind with GG equal to 343. The rest is an even, not even pushing that far ahead of multiplat devs.

ekim

I have friends in some Microsoft 1st party studios and I've been told that a fair number of them are focusing on mobile/tablet and kinect games.
So you can't count them the same as Sony's in terms of potential next gen support.

Not saying Sony has more, just that not all of Microsoft's will be touching the Durango.

:-/

Makes sense. They might be going the whole Win8 direction and have those titles be played on all their devices (Windows Phone, Surface and Xbox 720).

this is worrying. what studios if you don't mind my asking.

Conor 419

Banned
any particular reason why? it's worked wonders for them this generation.

Has it? They are borderline last place in terms of hardware sales, this is despite having a year lead over one of Sony's worst start to a generation, ever. They also do not have dominance in any major region. Third party exclusives are probably going to be much harder to come by as well.

Microsoft have two IP's left which have appeal to the type of gamers they attracted heavily to the 360 in its early stages, however one of those has taken so much damage since 2009 that it has a fraction of the influence it once held, and the other has only ever performed modest numbers. Neither of these are going to attract people to Xbox Live next generation, couple this with Xbox live slowly, but steadily descending into third place as an online service (despite being the only one that is a paid service) and it is quite clear that incompetent Microsoft are going to need to invest in some new properties to distinguish themselves in this upcoming generation.

This is unsurprising. With Rare and Lionhead being essentially dead, Microsoft had better hope Black Tusk's title actually has some appeal, otherwise all of these shitty Kinect projects + Call of Halo is going to be a deterrent, if anything.

It's pretty easy to see which studios are working on core games and which are working on Mobile/Kinect games. Good Science, Kids and Lifestyle, Playful Learning, Microsoft Soho and potentially Big Park and Rare are the "casual" studios. New studios such as 343, Black Tusk, Victoria and their new publishing studio we know to be focusing on core gaming. Possibly Rare too (and Turn 10 and Lionhead, though those aren't new obviously). Then there are a few others that we don't know much about at all

derFeef

There are 3 or so studios focusing on that kind of games for a while now, not the new ones I think.

edit: yeah, what InaudibleWhispa said :)

Don't know if I can talk about the others, but the new Microsoft London studio for example is entirely mobile/tablet focused.

Where Phil Harrison is involved? Makes sense.

We'll have to wait.

Everything can change from one gen to the other. Sony's 1st party didn't have the same level of output in the Ps2 days.

If MS wants it, all it takes are good producers, willingness to invest, and hiring great talent. It's not rocket science.

Microsoft has already proven that they can create great teams producing quality games.

They did it with Halo and 343 and so they did with Playground and Horizon (which is amazing).

And it seems they were just getting started. The first two years of the new xbox will be crucial.

Even Sony, whose first party offerings are so highly regarded, had a very rough start.

Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Lair and such can't compare to the likes of Uncharted, Killzone, etc (even though HS and Lair were second party).

I can't wait for some announcements.

triggaz

Banned
1st party doesn't matter anymore. 3rd party is what defines the genre. Funny because it was Sony who ushered in this change. They couldn't compete with Nintendo 1st party so they basically got the whole industry behind them to combat nintendo. And it worked. However 3rd parties aren't loyal despite how many here on gaf wish it wasn't.

That being said Sony 1st party outside of GT really don't have those genre defining blockbusters and they suffer for it. The platform now more than ever matters the ecosystem itself and imo MS has them beat there hands down.

Conor 419

Banned
Microsoft has already proven that they can create great teams producing quality games.

They did it with Halo and 343 and so they did with Playground and Horizon (which is amazing).

And it seems they were just getting started. The first two years of the new xbox will be crucial.

Even Sony, whose first party offerings are so highly regarded, had a very rough start.

Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Lair and such can't compare to the likes of Uncharted, Killzone, etc (even though HS and Lair were second party).

I can't wait for some announcements.

Microsoft's investment into new IP was remarkable, their management of them however, was laughable.

Top Bottom