• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Man I hope that BC rumor is true, it will make the transition to next gen a lot more attractive. As long as the 'top' titles get supported I'm fine with it being a software only solution. I was happy enough with their version of XBOX->360 emulation.
Now I wonder if Sony will be able to do the same, I suspect not considering how vastly different the PS3 is to the proposed PS4.
There's a patent out there that states otherwise. There are people who think Sony might have BC because of this patent.

That's the patent I've been referring to.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20100312969

All the information of the shared memory pool, not needing a custom bus and the like is from the patent.

I literally read the WHOLE patent today.

FrankT

So they will claim a single region roughly a year after Nintendo have already left the current generation? Not really a massive victory.

Perhaps, but Wii lost the fight long ago in the US. One can measure software and hardware for I don't know 1-2 years now already. I mean the 360 has been on top it looks like 2 years. Folks left the Wii a long time ago whether or not MS has actually been on top this gen.

On UK it has been too long since I have seen hardware so it is hard to say where they are all at now.

As for games, the last major Gears, Fable and Forza title still sold more than 95% of all of Sonys titles. And Halo 4 is the highest selling Halo title in the franchise history so far into it's release period. It's also likely sold more than all of Sony's 2012 first party titles combined.

What is this BS? Are you pulling these numbers out of your ass?
I am pretty sure GT, Uncharted and God of War all sell better than those IP's worldwide.

Now, as for quality, people like you are quick to proclaim the death of Lionhead and RARE, when their (and Microsoft's) focus on Kinect is exactly what led to the rejuvenation of the 360's sales and where we now see the 360 taking half the marketshare every month. Although, you'd be foolish to think that these large studios (each of them have multiple teams) aren't going to be focused on hardcore titles come next gen.

Firstly your acting like the US is the world. Secondly where has the bold information been suggested.

Lionhead and RARE were doing incredible things this gen before Sony fans could latch on to Killzone and Uncharted. They have some of the most technically proficient developers in the world. You would have to be really naive to not see where Microsoft's focus is for the new gen. There's a reason they've started up half a dozen new studios for the next gen.

Rare is a shadow of its former self and Lionhead has lost staff. Their latest releases do not give confidence at all.

The bold and underlined text: MS have opened six new studios (that seems a lot is it correct) but how many of them are making hardcore games?

And lastly, what the hell is up with the constant "Xbox Live is in third place" BS? You realize that XBLA/DLC/DD releases in general vastly outsell anything on the PSN or WiiWare right? Just look at the 5 million sales of Minecraft on XBLA. Microsoft's also has a much bigger software push for XBLA than either of their competitors. XBLA is still the dominant console Digital Platform.

I wanna see the receipts. Where are you getting this information from. Oh and Minecraft is not really a good comparison because it was not released on PSN so we cannot conclude that XBL gives developers more sales. I am pretty sure PSN has way more members than XBL simply because there is no pay wall.

Xbox Live itself is over 40 million+ users, which you better believe are vastly more active than Playstation or Wii users. Not to mention that Microsoft actually makes revenue from it and isn't giving it away for free. You would think Sony would be able to muster higher sales on its Digital Platform, yet time and time again we see that XBLA titles performs a lot better.

I remember an article a while a go saying PSN had 70 million accounts and that is that 40 million figure XBLG or everything.

Sony gains revenue from PS+ though it is not as lucrative as XBL

Your pulling numbers form your ass aren't you? (bold text).

ekim

I think VGleaks is going to leak something about the GPU, and I expect it to be great "news".

As long as it is about the GPU how it was planned while the alpha devkits went out then it's no news at all... except they spill the beans about the secret sauce.

So they will claim a single region roughly a year after Nintendo have already left the current generation? Not really a massive victory.
We'll see if you have the same reaction when the PS3 finally gets parity in worldwide sales later this year when the gen has ended and all of Microsoft's focus in on next-gen.

As long as it is about the GPU how it was planned while the alpha devkits went out then it's no news at all... except they spill the beans about the secret sauce.

We tend to assume the GPU is weaker than the one in Sony's new console; what if it will end up being stronger actually?

Or what about that dual-gpu setup? Where did it go?

ekim

We tend to assume the GPU is weaker than the one in Sony's new console; what if it will end up being stronger actually?

Or what about that dual-gpu setup? Where did it go?

I guess they won't change the basic setup of the GPU but they could change the base GPU chip or its clock while maintaining the custom architecture.

FrankT

Man I hope that BC rumor is true, it will make the transition to next gen a lot more attractive. As long as the 'top' titles get supported I'm fine with it being a software only solution. I was happy enough with their version of XBOX->360 emulation.
Now I wonder if Sony will be able to do the same, I suspect not considering how vastly different the PS3 is to the proposed PS4.

As long as we got full XBLA transfer as well.

2 chips though is it HW solution? Scaler and Xenos? I have no idea.

Conor 419

Banned
We'll see if you have the same reaction when the PS3 finally gets parity in worldwide sales later this year when the gen has ended and all of Microsoft's focus in on next-gen.

Microsoft have had time over both Nintendo and Sony, neither has Microsoft moved on to the next generation, it's not really comparable.

as do I. I worry about the comment that not all games will work though.

It'll definitely be BC... definitely. But, will every game work? Probably not..

what's the implication? that it's software bc or that even with hardware bc they can't guarantee all games will work?

Mrbob

Are VGLeaks wise to tease something for Monday? What is to stop Kotaku from posting stuff from the 90 page PDF before them?

It is possible they might get Oprah Winfried. Scooped by someone else or another story before Monday. But I doubt it.

It is a risk sitting on info rather than posting it.

What is this BS? Are you pulling these numbers out of your ass?
I am pretty sure GT, Uncharted and God of War all sell better than those IP's worldwide

Firstly your acting like the US is the world. Secondly where has the bold information been suggested.
If you could read, you could see that I was talking mainly about US and UK. The place where I suggested that Microsoft was dominating Sony this gen. On the other hand, Halo 4 probably did sell more than all of Sony title's worldwide in 2012.

Rare is a shadow of its former self and Lionhead has lost staff. Their latest releases do not give confidence at all.
Naughty Dog has lost staff. Sony Santa Monica has lost staff. Guerilla has lost staff. Many of them have gone on to work for Microsoft at 343. Oh noooesss! What a meaningless statement. And as its already been pointed out in this topic, the Fable Journey team was a separate team in Lionhead just for Kinect. The main team has been working on their next title for a while.
I wanna see the receipts. Where are you getting this information from. Oh and Minecraft is not really a good comparison because it was not released on PSN so we cannot conclude that XBL gives developers more sales. I am pretty sure PSN has way more members than XBL simply because there is no pay wall.
Why don't you show me ANY PSN title that has done more than a million? Two million? Minecraft is sitting at 5. They've been numerous Gamasutra articles that have compared the sales of PSN/XBLA titles, and they've also been multiple reports showing how long users are active on their console, with the 360 as the highest. I'm not gonna sort through months and months of reports for you. Believe what you want.
I remember an article a while a go saying PSN had 70 million accounts and that is that 40 million figure XBLG or everything.

Sony gains revenue from PS+ though it is not as lucrative as XBL
Oh I know there are more "users" on PSN. But that pretty much anyone with email on a PSP/PS3/PSVita. I also realize that only half of the Xbox LIVE users are gold members. But even then, XBL users are far more active in purchases and sales than PSN members. Whether its DLC, active online populations for games such as COD, or digital multiplatform releases. Like I said its been covered again and again. Go look up gamasutra's articles on this. Not my problem that you have a problem with reality and don't wanna beileve it.

pr0cs

that it's software bc or that even with hardware bc they can't guarantee all games will work?

sounds like a software solution akin to what they had on the 360.
Probably better really since this time they own all the hardware IP.

I'm fine with software bc as long as all my XBLA titles work and the big name disc'd based stuff.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I'm fine with software bc as long as all my XBLA titles work and the big name disc'd based stuff.

The problem with software BC is even if a game 'works' it is still often not 100% and can having missing effects, slowdown etc.

Microsoft have had time over both Nintendo and Sony, neither has Microsoft moved on to the next generation, it's not really comparable.
lol, started backpeddling already? Figures.

You're quick to dismiss the fact that Microsoft has half the console marketshare for the past 2 years in NA and UK, but somehow it will be completely different when it takes Sony 6 years to reach worldwide parity due to selling in regions where Microsoft has no presence (see: Japan). Yeah, must be some accomplishment.
The problem with software BC is even if a game 'works' it is still often not 100% and can having missing effects, slowdown etc.
The benefit of software BC is that games can be improved through high resolution, and that it's still better than NO Backward compatability whatsoever.

Jadedx

Banned
Rare has started over, they have ~300 staff and they have a new studio director from codemasters who is focusing on core titles, I think they will be OK. Lionhead lost like 10 people including Molyneux, they still have most of their people.

The bold and underlined text: MS have opened six new studios (that seems a lot is it correct) but how many of them are making hardcore games?

Do some research, MS has added 17 new studios to their first party since 2009.

my worst fears possibly confirmed. software bc on the 360 was terrible. lots of game didn't work properly, they had numerous problems like slow down, bugs, glitches.

the worst I encountered being that panzer dragoon orta wasn't playable after the third level due to a bug. the game looked amazing on 360, but not to be able to play beyond the third level was the worst case of blue balling I've ever encountered. the bastards didn't even bother fixing the problem.

this, this, this, this.

Lionhead are reportedly working on a new IP with MMO-like elements, and probably a separate team working on Fable 4. Rare were advertising last year for "multiple AAA future console releases" with prefered candidates having experience in the Action/Adventure or FPS genre.

I think at most this e3 you will see a trailer for fable 4 with no mention of the mmo. I don't expect either one of these games to be in the launch window and showing both doesn't make sense to me. Showing fable 4 would just be a hype move before the release of the new console.

rdrr gnr

specialguy imploded.

Next-gen is indeed here
I think at most this e3 you will see a trailer for fable 4 with no mention of the mmo. I don't expect either one of these games to be in the launch window and showing both doesn't make sense to me. Showing fable 4 would just be a hype move before the release of the new console.
Hasn't Fable lost most of its momentum? Why not just do another new IP?

eso76

People still care about fable ?

Mascot

Have any mainstream media outlets started using the term 'wizard jizz' yet?

Our dream* of getting it mentioned in one of E3 keynotes might depend on it.

*My dream.

Have any mainstream media outlets started using the term 'wizard jizz' yet?

Our dream* of getting it mentioned in one of E3 keynotes might depend on it.

*My dream.

imagine steve ballmer going on stage and then saying "I am here to talk about the wizard jizz we put into our next console."

Top Bottom