• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
what is the L2 linking to? (in bottom pic)

quoting myself but im guessing memory controller :p

the one thing i'm not sure about is if this core is compute capable. has "compute commands" on the side, but these are still listed as shader cores

wNCIVdY.jpg

M0VAvIc.jpg

ywK4JMp.jpg

0191_76tk.gif

DopeyFish

Really? The hell, is it based on older tech?

it kinda does look like GCN, actually. sorta.

kinda screwed around with GCN. More texturing units as opposed to GCN? At least that's what I'm sorta seeing.

Like... they texture off the SIMDs? instead of through the compute unit as a whole?

*- note my knowledge is limited

it certainly doesnt look like gcn

Looking at it, the "SC" is similar to the GCN.

MwKOLtp.jpg

M0VAvIc.jpg

Both have 16kb L1
Both have 64kb LS
Both have 4 SIMD
Scheduler...

Looks exactly like GCN.

EDIT: It seems the GCN has 8 SIMD units, the durango example only has 4.
Durango diagram also doesn't list Texture units or fill rate units.

DopeyFish

except they have 4 texture filter units per SIMD on this GPU?

View-Space Positioning = texture filter?

edit:^^^^ isn't it only 4 SIMDs?

GCN_CU_M_zpsc1df57fa.jpg

except they have 4 texture filter units per SIMD on this GPU?

View-Space Positioning = texture filter?

edit:^^^^ isn't it only 4 SIMDs?

GCN_CU_M_zpsc1df57fa.jpg

You're right. That diagram I posted above has "2" layered, making it look like 8.

maybe.. I know nothing about GCN. Never really paid attention to AMD's new line of cards...

sangreal

I was mostly confused about the texture units, but it could be a diagram thing. We'll find out tomorrow I guess. Hard to really say anything without the context

GCN_CU_M_zpsc1df57fa.jpg

MwKOLtp.jpg

So which one is right? They are both slightly different.

Top has 4 vector (SIMD) units.
Bottom has 8.

Top has 16 texture fetch/store units.
Bottom has 8.

Fivefold

Banned
Do you guys honestly have any idea what this all means?

I'm a senior IT guy with a lot of hardware experience, soldered my fair share of mainframe and server boards and have absolutely no freaking idea what all those colored squares actually are or do.

I'm a senior IT guy with a lot of hardware experience, soldered my fair share of mainframe and server boards and have absolutely no freaking idea what all those colored squares actually are or do.

They are extremely vague...

Zabka

Four Os per VSP. Four VSPs per SIMD. Four SIMDs per SC. Twelve SCs in total.

That's 768 Os. That's right: Real-time blast processing. None of that pre-computed shit like back in the Genesis days.

Proelite

GCN_CU_M_zpsc1df57fa.jpg

MwKOLtp.jpg

Bottom has 8.

Bottom has 8.

Bottom has 4 SIMD units, they're illustrated in that way to show that they're composed of 16 ALUs each.

Bottom has 4 SIMD units, they're illustrated in that way to show that they're composed of 16 ALUs each.

But it says it's 16 wide. Why would they show it like that? Also the Texture fetch/store units are displayed the same way. I'm confused.

EDIT:... so we assume they are the same figures... it's just a GCN then.. right? They wouldn't be any different.

GCN_CU_M_zpsc1df57fa.jpg

MwKOLtp.jpg

Bottom has 8.

Bottom has 8.

I think the layered squares are just supposed to abstractly illustrate the fact that there are multiples of those units. 16 Vector SIMDs, or 4 Texture Fetch units. Don't read too much into it.

Looks like GCN, though. L1 cache is too big for VLIW4 or 5.

I think the layered squares are just supposed to abstractly illustrate the fact that there are multiples of those units. 16 Vector SIMDs, or 4 Texture Fetch units. Don't read too much into it.

Looks like GCN, though. L1 cache is too big for VLIW4 or 5.

Definitely, but that's good.

Not GCN2 though as some people thought. I think it might be just different wording in the documentation.

wNCIVdY.jpg

Most interesting part: Distinct Compute and Graphics sheduling hardware. Not unlike Orbis, perhaps? Could be half and half, could be 4/8, could be fully dynamic, but that may solve our Orbis question as well...

EDIT: GCN already has Asynchronous Compute Engines that handle the GPGPU stuff, so even that is standard.

sholvaco

Neo Member
VSP = vector stream processor
DB = depth block
CB = color block
LSM = local store
GSM = global store

Depth/color block was something hinted at by "insiders". Are they modified render back-ends?

nib95

Banned
DB = depth block
CB = color block
LSM = local store
GSM = global store

Depth/color block was something hinted at by "insiders". Are they modified render back-ends?

Ahh so the colour block is finally back! Still wish I knew what it, and the DME's did lol.

scently

wNCIVdY.jpg

Most interesting part: Distinct Compute and Graphics sheduling hardware. Not unlike Orbis, perhaps? Could be half and half, could be 4/8, could be fully dynamic, but that may solve our Orbis question as well...

Oh I see. So you are saying that if this is similar to Orbos then maybe the those 4 dedicated compute CUs don't have a graphics command hardware but just the compute command.

DB = depth block
CB = color block
LSM = local store
GSM = global store

Depth block and color block sounds like units to help with kinect processing.

Something has to process the infrared data, and something has to processes the RGB data on the connect. To keep lag at a minimum, this might be it.

Or maybe not. But I'm sure they wouldn't want 200+ms latency for kinect responses like this gen. And assuming they are using cameras with resolutions and frame rates that aren't ass, these might be it.

Oh I see. So you are saying that if this is similar to Orbos then maybe the those 4 dedicated compute CUs don't have a graphics command hardware but just the compute command.

Probably not, actually. It was pointed out to me GCN already has dedicated Compute Command units called ACEs that take care of that. It could be segmented specifically like Orbis in some fashion, but not neccessarily. You can see them in this image:

Depth and Color buffers are a standard part of a GPU's ROPs, but if we assume each block shown represents 4 Render Out Processor it looks like Durango may have only 16 compared to the rumored 32 in Orbis. That would mean half the fill rate.

Probably not, actually. It was pointed out to me GCN already has dedicated Compute Command units called ACEs that take care of that. It could be segmented specifically like Orbis in some fashion, but not neccessarily. You can see them in this image:

Depth and Color buffers are a standard part of a GPU's ROPs, but if we assume each block shown represents 4 Render Out Processor it looks like Durango may have only 16 compared to the rumored 32 in Orbis. That would mean half the fill rate.

So you think that's what they are? VG leaks needs to explain their stuff soon.

If it's half the ROPS.. that... I don't think that's true. =S

So you think that's what they are? VG leaks needs to explain their stuff soon.

If it's half the ROPS.. that... I don't think that's true. =S

Yes, the depth buffer and the color buffer would be part of the same render back end. In GCN terms a RBE has 4 ROPs. So you take the four depicted in the diagram and multiply that by 4 and you'd get 16.

Frankly it's a bit weird for MS documentation to break them out individually like that, but it might explain aegies' confusion about color and depth compression being some kind of "special sauce", but the fact is that's a pretty old idea. the old Radeon 9700 had like 6:1 lossless color compression and 32:1 Z-compression in hardware. GCN rates are better than that, but it's not new or remarkable, and it's nothing Orbis won't have as well.

Depth block and color block sounds like units to help with kinect processing.

Something has to process the infrared data, and something has to processes the RGB data on the connect. To keep lag at a minimum, this might be it.

Or maybe not. But I'm sure they wouldn't want 200+ms latency for kinect responses like this gen. And assuming they are using cameras with resolutions and frame rates that aren't ass, these might be it.

Kinect data is processed in the Kinect itself, that's what the primesense chip does.

I await the reaction from everyone riding the hype train when they find out that Kinect Sports XVII for Xbox Durango(tm) still renders in 400p native/30fps (but can now figure out if you're showing a middle finger during your victory celebration instead of just a stubby hand).

Top Bottom