• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Aegies said that both consoles will have a lot of exclusive games at launch.

Nice to hear. That will seal my purchase, as nothing else I've heard has swayed me.

Mascot

Can someone please explain to me why I should be getting all excited about being able to record and play back game footage? It seems a totally pointless feature to me. I'd much rather spend my valuable free time actually interacting with games rather than watching re-runs of something I just played.

What am I missing here? What the hell is all the fuss about?

I can't see 2 power distinct nextgen xboxes. That would be too confusing for consumption of software.

There may be 2 skus, perhaps one with hdmi in and another without. Not everyone needs to run a cable box through the system. But that's as far as it would go in my opinion, otherwise you'd get software developed for the lowest common denominator to get more penetration.

the lowest sku wouldn't have games outside of xbla games.

pr0cs

Can someone please explain to me why I should be getting all excited about being able to record and play back game footage? ?

Well to me it's hardly a system selling feature but I won't lie, there have been numerous times playing sandbox games (SR3, GTAIV) where something funny/awesome happened and I would have loved to replay it.
Though to be honest I would have preferred a system like Halo where you could view the 'action' from any angle as opposed to simply saving the frame buffer as a video.

Karak

Well to me it's hardly a system selling feature but I won't lie, there have been numerous times playing sandbox games (SR3, GTAIV) where something funny/awesome happened and I would have loved to replay it.
Though to be honest I would have preferred a system like Halo where you could view the 'action' from any angle as opposed to simply saving the frame buffer as a video.
This is how I feel about it.
As one of the Side Points for a system, recording, posting, and maybe a bit of editing would be VERY high on my list.

How "speedy" is a 6X BD Drive? Are we talking a substantial increase in speeds?

It's 3x faster than the one in the PS3. Not particularly quick given the amount of RAM involved, but they're limited by the amount of noise something like a 10x or 12x would put out.

I imagine partial installs will be the norm and I'm perfectly fine with that. Never had an issue with game installs on consoles as long as the HDDs are large enough. I expect at least a 1TB option and if we lived in a perfect world, standard 2.5" HDDs will work in both machines but I'm not holding my breath.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I imagine partial installs will be the norm and I'm perfectly fine with that. Never had an issue with game installs on consoles as long as the HDDs are large enough. I expect at least a 1TB option and if we lived in a perfect world, standard 2.5" HDDs will work in both machines but I'm not holding my breath.

Microsofts install strategies will not be annoying I bet. That BR speed will be more than fine I think.

I will probably set aside around $2,000 for both consoles, games and an LG Theater 3DTV.

I recently bought an LG cinema display 55" passive 3D HDTV, it's awesome as hell.

eso76

That document from 2010, which talked about kinect v2 and fortaleza glass.

They talk a lot about XTV, which seems a bunch of features and services related to media consumption, and IIRC, they say something about each user being able to create their own OTT service with the console.

Feck, and I thought I had the idea first.

Mascot

People like different things. Watching other people game is about as interesting as watching paint dry for me... but horses for courses.

There are a lot of people whooping it up about this feature in the dedicated Edge reveal thread. I'm guessing they are all a lot younger than me. I don't do Facebook, never have, never will.

I'm boldly predicting success for these next-gen jack-of-all-trades consoles, but an old-skool return to dedicated gaming units next-next-gen. Quote me in 2020.

SpokkX

Can someone please explain to me why I should be getting all excited about being able to record and play back game footage? It seems a totally pointless feature to me. I'd much rather spend my valuable free time actually interacting with games rather than watching re-runs of something I just played.

I agree, is it the bragging people want? Ooh look at me!

Wynnebeck

Banned
I agree, is it the bragging people want? Ooh look at me!

Let's try to look at it objectively and not through the console war glasses hm? Being able to record everything from 15 minutes back is helpful for many things:

- You had an awesome match or need help nailing a combo in a fighting game and want to show people
- You pulled off a crazy shot or last kill in a FPS and want everyone to see it
- You speed ran through a level in a game and want to challenge someone
etc.

There are many uses for it especially when it has the ability to upload to Youtube or what have you. It sounds like an awesome feature. Of course, you can always complain about it. Your choice.

- You had an awesome match or need help nailing a combo in a fighting game and want to show people
etc.
In fairness, half of those are "ooh look at me".

I don't really think console wars come into it (I'd be very surprised if both don't have this)... I just think that maybe a lot of us (probably older gamers at a guess) don't really have use for this sort of thing.

Mascot

Let's try to look at it objectively and not through the console war glasses hm? Being able to record everything from 15 minutes back is helpful for many things:

etc.

There are many uses for it especially when it has the ability to upload to Youtube or what have you. It sounds like an awesome feature. Of course, you can always complain about it. Your choice.

Well, none of those things interest me. I can see how other people might find them useful, however.

Oh well, just another 'feature' I'll be paying for but never using. I just want a box that plays next-gen games, to be honest. All the social networking fluff and media hub shenanigans will go mostly unused in my games room.

Plus, if every spotty oik on the planet is spamming YouTube all day long with game videos, then nobody will end up watching any of them. Uploading short videos in FIFA was kinda cool for about half a day until the novelty wore off.

Watching recorded game footage is very big in the fighting game community. SF4 has a dedicated system to watching fights from yourself or a lot of the top players from around the world. If the Durango makes this ability easy to implement on all games on the system i can see lots of people watching fighting game footage, racing game strategies, in game help videos for difficult portions of a platformer, etc.....

You may not get much use out of a system like that but i can see why many people would.

Krabardaf

BD speed will only define how quick your games are installed on your HDD...
Mandatory HDD install is an absolute given IMO.

I heard Microsoft is planning on restrictions for the games to start before they have finished downloading. Would be cool, but ultimately I only expect animated downloads with introduction, infos etc. Kind of an interactive manual while you download. I'm ok with it. But we'll see.(info not so fresh nor entirely reliable, but it would make sense)

KAL2006

Banned

I am the same as you but there is a appeal for this.

Hardcore players can upload tactics and strategy videos
People can upload a video of owning their firends for bragging rights (I already get pictures FIFA scores on my Facebook feed).
Upload videos for helping people who are stuck
Tournament videos

Not only we would be able to watch these videos, but we may be able to like the videos and comment on them. I think uploading videos and images is the beginning of something bigger, it is obvious they are chasing the trend of social networks and I think MS and Sony will have their own Miiverse but much more different, personally I think Sony will expand their LiveArea feature.

Mascot

Watching recorded game footage is very big in the fighting game community. SF4 has a dedicated system to watching fights from yourself or a lot of the top players from around the world. If the Durango makes this ability easy to implement on all games on the system i can see lots of people watching fighting game footage, racing game strategies, in game help videos for difficult portions of a platformer, etc.....

You may not get much use out of a system like that but i can see why many people would.

I am the same as you but there is a appeal for this.

Hardcore players can upload tactics and strategy videos
People can upload a video of owning their firends for bragging rights (I already get pictures FIFA scores on my Facebook feed).
Upload videos for helping people who are stuck
Tournament videos

Not only we would be able to watch these videos, but we may be able to like the videos and comment on them. I think uploading videos and images is the beginning of something bigger, it is obvious they are chasing the trend of social networks and I think MS and Sony will have their own Miiverse but much more different, personally I think Sony will expand their LiveArea feature.

But YouTube is already drowning in exactly these types of videos. I guess all that Sony/MS are doing is making it easier to record/upload them without having to use a separate capture card and logging in to YouTube? I'm worried that making the uploading process as simple as just pressing one button might create an exponential growth in uploaded videos, making separating the wheat from the chaff a little tricky, and negating any possible benefits to the system.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But YouTube is already drowning in exactly these types of videos. I guess all that Sony/MS are doing is making it easier to record/upload them without having to use a separate capture card and logging in to YouTube? I'm worried that making the uploading process as simple as just pressing one button might create an exponential growth in uploaded videos, making separating the wheat from the chaff a little tricky, and negating any possible benefits to the system.

I think it'd be ok. Popular stuff would rise to the surface as usual, but I'd expect there to be an easy way to share directly via URL or through PSN/XBL

Good news on exclusives, and I'll probably buy both at launch anyway. But key for me with MS is continued support. This gen they backed off on first party games and I lost interest and sold my Xbox mid-gen. If both machines have parity in Multiplatform releases, IMO the platform owner should continue to offer reasons to buy, and for me that means more than just halo and forza.

golem

the lowest sku wouldn't have games outside of xbla games.

My guess is if there was a cheap SKU, it would play XBLA games and also be able to stream gameplay/content from another Durango in the house, so much like an Apple TV. And maybe thats why the Durango needs to keep some hefty resources always available, to feed the other lesser/stream boxes around the house

Satchel

Banned

etc.

I'll be even more objective than yourself, and say that I don't think I've ever once really thought I wanted to playback something I did in a game 10 minutes ago.

Halo and FIFA both let me playback and upload shit and I never used either.

This is realistically a system wars checklist feature that's neat, but won't be used much by the majority.

as long as it doesn't impact game or OS performance, I'm cool with it.

Perkel

Banned

Perfect forum tool. Gifs compedium.

You didn't have this feeling that something awesome happened ? Hit share and you will have chance to save it. Already there are ton of awesome gta funny/amazing footage.

Personally for me as GT player recording my best race is big thing to me. I often watch my best replays.

Alx

But YouTube is already drowning in exactly these types of videos. I guess all that Sony/MS are doing is making it easier to record/upload them without having to use a separate capture card and logging in to YouTube?

That makes me wonder :who'll be paying for the bandwidth and storage ? I know youtube currently lets anybody upload anything for free (and I don't think they're profitable in the process), but millions of gamers having the possibility of uploading HD (?) videos at the press of a button could create a huge increase of traffic right ?

No one said you you're supposed to get "all excited". It's one feature, if you don't like it don't use it.

Withnail

BD speed will only define how quick your games are installed on your HDD...
Mandatory HDD install is an absolute given IMO.

I heard Microsoft is planning on restrictions for the games to start before they have finished downloading. Would be cool, but ultimately I only expect animated downloads with introduction, infos etc. Kind of an interactive manual while you download. I'm ok with it. But we'll see.(info not so fresh nor entirely reliable, but it would make sense)

Interesting. With next gen consoles all having BD (or other high capacity discs), average game sizes are going to shoot up next gen. Enabling the user to launch a game while it's partially downloaded would definitely be a popular feature. It's not so far-fetched, some games on Steam do this already.

mavs

Who cares? I don't know any of those people.

Sony has got to make their community features stronger this gen. Giving the ability to upload clips of games for friends to see instead of only describing them verbally sounds like a decent way to get people excited about their online services.

Mogwai

Does anyone has a good clue on how the new generation of consoles will perform in comparison to a PC?

I know the architectures are different and can't be directly compared, but I'm just interested in knowing whether the new consoles can compete with setups such as an i7-3770k and GTX 680 or if it's worse/better?

Just asking as I don't have any qualified guess myself ;)

stryke

Does anyone has a good clue on how the new generation of consoles will perform in comparison to a PC?

I know the architectures are different and can't be directly compared, but I'm just interested in knowing whether the new consoles can compete with setups such as an i7-3770k and GTX 680 or if it's worse/better?

Just asking as I don't have any qualified guess myself ;)

I reckon next gen consoles will hold up pretty well. I don't think it's very healthy to be so fixated on comparing consoles to PCs. They'll definitely be behind in terms of raw power and there will always be gap. Nothing can be done about that. Just hope that tech demos or next gen trailers like Watch Dogs, SW 1313, Agnis etc are indicative of what the consoles can achieve.

If anything, these consoles are just going to make PC games look better. Current consoles are really holding back PC ports.

Pooya

no they won't compete with that, but you can expect a lot more from them than comparable PC parts, still will never reach GTX 680 which is like 2x of console GPUs, and i7 3770k which isn't even comparable to the CPU in these consoles. that setup has a great performance lead over these console which 'no closed hardware optimization' can ever make up for it.

mavs

no they won't compete with that, but you can expect a lot more from them than comparable PC parts, still will never reach GTX 680 which is like 2x of console GPUs, and i7 3770k which isn't even comparable to the CPU in these consoles. that setup has a great performance lead over these console which 'no closed hardware optimization' can ever make up for it.

Hmph. Never reach? 8800GTS (the good one) was like 2X of console GPUs this gen, did we never reach the quality of a PC current to that card? Serious question, I don't actually know the answer. Also I'm not betting on good PC ports for launch titles, hopefully as time goes on we'll get much better than we got this gen.

Pooya

Hmph. Never reach? 8800GTS (the good one) was like 2X of console GPUs this gen, did we never reach the quality of a PC current to that card? Serious question, I don't actually know the answer. Also I'm not betting on good PC ports for launch titles, hopefully as time goes on we'll get much better than we got this gen.

8800GTX even today runs console ports better than a 360, yeah. that was a great investment back in 2006. 3 years old low end laptop GPUs run console ports better than 360 does today.

considering how similar the architecture is and how much healthier PC gaming is business wise today, I don't think ports will suffer, of course min spec will make a big jump and DX10 class GPUs will be obsolete.

ekim

8800GTX even today runs console ports better than a 360, yeah. that was a great investment back in 2006. 3 years old low end laptop GPUs run console ports better than 360 does today.

considering how similar the architecture is and how much healthier PC gaming is business wise today, I don't think ports will suffer, of course min spec will make a big jump and DX10 class GPUs will be obsolete.

That discussion never gets old, huh?

Interesting. With next gen consoles all having BD (or other high capacity discs), average game sizes are going to shoot up next gen. Enabling the user to launch a game while it's partially downloaded would definitely be a popular feature. It's not so far-fetched, some games on Steam do this already.

Halo 2 Vista also had a similar feature, play the game while it was being installed. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

alcide

Banned
As much as you hates to admit it he's right. ;p

Good gaming PCs of 2012-2013 today should have no problem to run next-gen games as well as the next-gen consoles.

What if we have to move to this new directx version exclusive to Windows 8 ... <shudders>

szaromir

Banned

The bolded is just crap. Low-end laptop GPUs have like 50-80GFLOPS and obviously can't match 360's performance. I do have a 3 year old laptop with Radeon 5650M on board and it does outperform 360, but it was certainly not low-end.

Pooya

The bolded is just crap. Low-end laptop GPUs have like 50-80GFLOPS and obviously can't match 360's performance. I do have a 3 year old laptop with Radeon 5650M on board and it does outperform 360, but it was certainly not low-end.

I was just playing Spec Ops the Line on a Geforce 240m, 3+ years, in 1600x900 + FXAA on TV on a ancient HP laptop. with perfect framerate and maximum settings. how does it run on a 360? ;) it was low end at it's time, below it was only IGP. those? sure. that's not really low end, more like no end.

Intel IGPs right now are better than ps360 though.

szaromir

Banned
I was just playing Spec Ops the Line on a Geforce 240m, 3+ years, in 1600x900 + FXAA on TV on a ancient HP laptop. with perfect framerate and maximum settings. how does it run on a 360? ;)
Sounds dubious TBH. I also have the PC version, I'll run it on my laptop and see if such settings can handle "perfect framerate" (whatever that means).
edit: GF 210M was the low end nVidia processor.

Jburton

Banned
I am just surprised at how much closer to the wii u this is than what I was expecting.

Seems so desperate to try and claim parity.

Also people need to stop adding the supposed esram bandwidth with the ddr3 bandwidth and reaching numbers they put it close to gddr5 speeds, it does not work that way, esram is a way to try and compensate for the really low bandwidth speeds of ddr3 ......... the ddr3 is still a severe bottleneck and having to write to esram is an extra step and another source of latency.

szaromir

Banned
Sounds dubious TBH. I also have the PC version, I'll run it on my laptop and see if such settings can handle "perfect framerate" (whatever that means).
edit: GF 210M was the low end nVidia processor.
I just ran it, on max settings it's far from perfect. Either the game is superwell optimized for nVidia GPUs or you're not telling the whole truth.

scently

Seems so desperate to try and claim parity.

Also people need to stop adding the supposed esram bandwidth with the ddr3 bandwidth and reaching numbers they put it close to gddr5 speeds, it does not work that way, esram is a way to try and compensate for the really low bandwidth speeds of ddr3 ......... the ddr3 is still a severe bottleneck and having to write to esram is an extra step and another source of latency.

Er they can and they should. The gpu has access to both set of memory and can access both simultaneously so it effectively has access to 170GB/s of bandwidth like it or not.

As for latency, you should know the SRAM has the lowest latency among memory types so no, writing to it is not going to add latency, besides the system has 4 DMEs for a reason. Once we know more we can speculate.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Er they can and they should. The gpu has access to both set of memory and can access both simultaneously so it effectively has access to 170GB/s of bandwidth like it or not.

Unless you can describe the flow of data on a unreleased hypothetical piece of hardware and show how they add up, I would seriously doubt what you said it true. One is there to help the other as a high speed cache, but adding numbers is all kinds of levels of dumb, remember Major Nelson and his adding the bandwidth to show the 360 had higher system bandwidth? Do you agree with him, you sort of sound like it.

http://majornelson.com/2005/05/20/xbox-360-vs-ps3-part-4-of-4/

The Xbox 360 has 22.4 GB/s of GDDR3 bandwidth and a 256 GB/s of EDRAM bandwidth for a total of 278.4 GB/s total system bandwidth.

Dumb math made to fool dumb people.

Unless you can describe the flow of data on a unreleased hypothetical piece of hardware and show how they add up, I would seriously doubt what you said it true. One is there to help the other as a high speed cache, but adding numbers is all kinds of levels of dumb, remember Major Nelson and his adding the bandwidth to show the 360 had higher system bandwidth? Do you agree with him, you sort of sound like it.

Hahahahaha, I'd completely forgotten this.

scently

Yeah, and how exactly do you get the total flops in a gpu? because I can assure you it is generated by a single computing element. Btw the eSRAM is read/write/modify so for all intent and purpose it is a memory for the console. The system has a total of 170gb/s of bandwidth to its memory pools, and that is a valid statement. Of course you can go further and say that 'of that bandwidth, the system can access one pool at.....gb/s and the other at.....gb/s' and you will also be correct.

Anyway if it helps you feel better then fine, phrase it how ever you want, and that's all I am saying of this issue. I would rather not get involved with trading insults when all I want to do is have a discussion.

Top Bottom