• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Because if there's one thing the current generation taught us, it's that power is what matters.
All generations teach us that software support is what matters.

Two of these systems will likely provide a large addressable market with a receptive audience and offer relative parity for multiplatform development. One of them is significantly weaker and downporting may not provide sufficient ROI to justify the opportunity cost, given the perceived audience behavior.

Speaking strictly from these spec leaks (no dev kits for me thus far with nextgen) it certainly does seem like Sony went with the right approach. 4GB is sufficiently into the "way more than before" range that you'd want to go for max speed and try to keep the CPU and GPU fed. Microsoft's specs smell strongly of having some other compute requirements under the hood, whether that's Kinect or magic surprise b.

Reminds me vaguely of the N64/PS1 generation, though this feels a bit like the opposite. Nintendo had elite-tier bandwidth and easily the best CPU, but latency was just embarassingly bad. We ended up spending most of the dev time trying to figure out how to keep the CPU fed. The PS1, on the other hand, probably could have used a bit more RAM to cache CD data but latency and the rest of the CPU spec were pretty good at dealing with what it could deliver.

(Well, that and there was no 4kb texture cache limitation!)

Dennis

Banned
After perusing the first page of Gaming, I have become convinced that Sony and Microsoft are planning to release new consoles.

This is insane. I have been predicting that Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be a "stopgap" system where they release a hybrid console/hybrid in about 4-5 years to somewhat sandwich themselves halfway between the other MS/Sony consoles, but this is WAY behind where I thought they'd be at this point.
You probably should have expected this, at least since we found out how strong Wii U was

Krabardaf

Its not the speed but what it can do in each cycle (ie modern cpu designs are much more efficient for each clock cycle)

It's true but two operation per clock @1.6Ghz is roughly the same than one @3.2Ghz so...Speed still matters.

I'm not saying you don't know that of course, but i feel like since these rumors have surfaced, CPU frequency is deemed irrelevant by virtually everyone.

I'm not very well informed on the upcoming CPUs, but i don't think that even with 8 cores, they'll be able to compete with the high end quad cores found on PC. Heck, I'm pretty sure my 4.4Ghz ivy bridge destroy it already.
(i'd be happy to be proven wrong though).

AzaK

hmm

Orbis: Jimi Hendrix
Durango: Stevie Ray Vaughn
Wii U: Guy on Youtube playing Iron Man?

This made me laugh. <sob>

This is insane. I have been predicting that Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be a "stopgap" system where they release a hybrid console/hybrid in about 4-5 years to somewhat sandwich themselves halfway between the other MS/Sony consoles, but this is WAY behind where I thought they'd be at this point.
I wondered if they'd "stopgap" Wii U too in the sense that they'd aim for 4-5 years life, being about 3-4 into the life of Orbis/Durango which could very well have another 6-7 year solid life. Would work better for them port wise as they'd have a few years before new Sony/MS machine instead of 1.

Random question, but why would Microsoft or Sony give documentation to game journalists that they don't really understand anyway?

Or is it that the documentation has been provided to these people by developers violating NDA and leaking?

Pistolero

So no new info on those original modules supposed to boost rendering

10% weaker than Durango at running Durango ports?

Not joking.

I called it. MS goes for heavy customization and efficiency, instead of putting a PC GC and calling it a day (what Sony seems to be doing with their GPU once again). It will be a repeat of this gen, with Durango having the upper hand in multi games!

Proxy

So no new info on those original modules supposed to boost rendering

I called it. MS goes for heavy customization and efficiency, instead of putting a PC GC and calling it a day (what Sony seems to be doing with their GPU once again). It will be a repeat of this gen, with Durango having the upper hand in multi games!

lol.

coldfoot

Banned
Orbis: F-22 (super high performance but not well rounded)
Durango: F-35 (lower performance but much more user friendly and multirole)
Wii U: Sopwith Camel

PC: Fictional aircraft in the movie Stealth

Razgreez

I wish someone would build the console equivalent of a Landkreuzer just for the Hell of it.

so that's where the idea for the Marmota came from

300px-Marmota.png

Rapstah

Orbis: Alexander the Great
Durango: Napoleon
Wii U: Italy in World War 1

Alternative but less clever Wii U candidate: Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Nerdstrom

Banned
Orbis: Magic Mountain
Durango: Disneyland
Wii U: Legoland

disneyland pulls in a shitload of money compared to magic mountain and magic mountain although great has been in danger of being sold/shut down for many years now. This might be the most accurate comparison in this thread lol

operon

Orbis: Big Mac
Durango: Tesco value burger
WiiU: Quorn burger
PC: Double Whopper

for non uk/irl Gaf The tesco burger has added horse power

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Am I the only one not surprised by this?

From what we've learned from far back as E3 at the very least, it was made pretty apparent that the Wii-U even at its best would still be a similar situation with the Wii. A console that's still nearly 10X weaker than the competition.

Because if there's one thing the current generation taught us, it's that power is what matters.

Seriously, though, this looks fantastic. If Kinect 2.0 is what I think/hope, I'll be there day one.

It taught us that third parties and core gamers matter in the end. And for that reason his assertion probably isn't that far off.

Top Bottom