• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Rumor: Durango Memory System Overview & Example

owasog

Sufficient based on games produced today. Need to keep that in mind, since games will get a lot more complex and taxing in the new generation. More graphical features, poly's, higher resolution textures, more post processing etc etc.
Games will get as complex and taxing as the lowest common denominator will allow them to be. This is a fact.
No need to worry whether future games will be able to run on xbox or not.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The gap in power between the 720 and the PS4 is terrifying. I wonder how multiplats on 720 will fare, there are reasons to be worried on that front.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3dr parties systematically enhance the PS4 versions of their game with graphical features.

That is not true at all. There's no 'big gap in power'. From the looks of it, the 720 looks about 20 to 30% slower than the PS4, which in terms of multiplats would mean close to nothing. The real difference would only appear in exclusives imo.

I'm assuming then the above aforementioned additions will not affect the render output? Is it just on a per pixel/texel basis irrespective of what they will be forming?

Both will have 8GB RAM, I don't think thar texture resolution will be an issue.

I'm no hardware expert; is there an "easy" way for Microsoft to bump these specs before launch? (if they are real)

Like significantly increasing the RAM and/or GPU frequency?
Or double the RAM to 16GB, just to have a bigger number than Sony?

Yes, there is an easy way by using the Bathmate Hercules Pump. I heard it can add 8GB with 3 months use

owasog

Why?, so forum dwellers can brag about a number while increasing costs with no benefit?
No, the higher frequencies to bring it closer to the 7850-class PS4
And the big 16GB number to impress the kids who tell their clueless parents what to buy.

Razgreez

Both 360 and PS3 specs were a lot more impressive back in 05-06 than 720 and PS4 specs are now though.

The PS3 specs "seemed" more impressive yes, till developers discovered what a disappointment the RSX was. The Xbox has remained an impressively balanced console to this day - barring the limited eDRAM issue

nib95

Banned
That is not true at all. There's no 'big gap in power'. From the looks of it, the 720 looks about 20 to 30% slower than the PS4, which in terms of multiplats would mean close to nothing. The real difference would only appear in exclusives imo.

20-30% is conservative at this point. 33% more flops or double the ROP's, 6 more CU's (50% more), 3x the memory bandwidth etc. Be interesting to see what the final figures are, and how they translate in to actual gaming performance. Last I heard the PS4 might be getting a slight clock bump across the board as well.

20-30% is conservative at this point. 33% more flops or double the ROP's, 6 more CU's (50% more), 3x the memory bandwidth etc. Be interesting to see what the final figures are, and how they translate in to actual gaming performance. Last I heard the PS4 might be getting a slight clock bump across the board as well.

Well, we don't know if Microsoft will do something similar, with higher clocks for CPU and/or GPU.

And the "more flops" and "6 more CUs" are the same, 12CUs = 1.2TFlops, 18 CUs = 1.8TFlops. For 1080p, 16 ROPs are "enough" (according to eurogamer). I think 32 ROPS = better antialiasing than 16 ROPS.

The power gap is likely to be bigger than that. The 18 to 12 compute unit advantage is a big deal. 32 rops instead of 16 is a big deal. Faster memory is a nice advantage.

Those three things are going to offer a lot more easily accessible power. Third party developers could easily tap into that to tweak various settings higher, similar to how a PC gamer can alter settings in a game based on their setup.

It will be inexcusable if a multiplatform game runs worse on the PS4, and just pathetic if it only runs and looks the same as the Durango version.

30% difference in power is nothing now?

Razgreez

Well, we don't know if Microsoft will do something similar, with higher clocks for CPU and/or GPU.

And the "more flops" and "6 more CUs" are the same, 12CUs = 1.2TFlops, 18 CUs = 1.8TFlops. And ROPs are "sufficient" for 1080p.

Since anti-aliasing algorithms are run on the shaded fragments (passed on to the ROPs from the CUs) there's quite a large benefit in having 50% more of those. In effect, bandwidth permitting, it could allow for higher levels of MSAA at a, and once again i speculate based on my limited architecture knowledge, greatly reduced computational cost

The lack of any concrete leaks for some time makes me think the final hardware will be surprisingly different to this.

Is this some sort of mantra...

Satchel

Banned
The lack of any concrete leaks for some time makes me think the final hardware will be surprisingly different to this.

nib95

Banned

And the "more flops" and "6 more CUs" are the same, 12CUs = 1.2TFlops, 18 CUs = 1.8TFlops. And ROPs are "sufficient" for 1080p.

Hence why I said 'or'. And naturally Durango could get a similar bump, just nothing has been rumoured yet is all. My point was, currently the differences in spec amount to more than a 20-30% difference (imo). I'm not sure how one could quantify the advantages of 8GB GDDR5 (176GB/s) over 8GB DDR3 (68GB/s) plus 32MB Esram (102GB/s) either.

Also, has anyone else bar Eurogamer elaborated on the benefits of more ROP's or 32 vs 16? People/Microsoft said the 360's Edram would be "sufficient" for free 4xAA at 720p as well, only in the end it wasn't.

Green Yoshi

In the last years Microsoft focused a lot on the casual gamers (Kinect) and on entertainment apps (ESPN, Netflix), so perhaps they want to build rather a cheap console than a console for the hardcore gamers.

Razgreez

I'm not sure how one could quantify the advantages of 8GB GDDR5 (176GB/s) over 8GB DDR3 (68GB/s) plus 32MB Esram (102GB/s) either.

We should all club together and purchase a devkit of each console and then begin developing synthetic benchmarks that will run on both... i.e. never going to happen

Hence why I said 'or'. And naturally Durango could get a similar bump, just nothing has been rumoured yet is all. My point was, currently the differences in spec amount to more than a 20-30% difference (imo). I'm not sure how one could quantify the advantages of 8GB GDDR5 (176GB/s) over 8GB DDR3 (68GB/s) plus 32MB Esram (102GB/s) either.

Also, has anyone else bar Eurogamer elaborated on the benefits of more ROP's or 32 vs 16? People/Microsoft said the 360's Edram would be "sufficient" for free 4xAA at 720p as well, only in the end it wasn't.

My guess is 1080p in both, but better antialiasing (and some advanced effects) in PS4, maybe 30FPS vs 60FPS.

In the last years Microsoft focused a lot on the casual gamers (Kinect) and on entertainment apps (ESPN, Netflix), so perhaps they want to build rather a cheap console than a console for the hardcore gamers.

Do you really think that MS want to lose the third party support?

Xenon

That may have something to due with having the core gamers locked down, great third party support, and enough strong IP's to keep their base happy. Also MS may have moved resources to begin development for next gen much earlier than Sony.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I hope crow eating threads are allowed for whoever is on either side of these speculative discussions. That would make these worthwhile for peeps like me who sit back and smh all the back and forth lol.

Razgreez

I hope crow eating threads are allowed for whoever is on either side of these speculative discussions. That would make these worthwhile for peeps like me who sit back and smh all the back and forth lol.

Thuway, the parrot, already ate crow for his definite statements regarding the PS4 and was then summarily banned for avian cannibalism

true story

Piggus

I'm no hardware expert; is there an "easy" way for Microsoft to bump these specs before launch? (if they are real)

Like significantly increasing the RAM and/or GPU frequency?
Or double the RAM to 16GB, just to have a bigger number than Sony?

Microsoft isn't going to waste money on something that will provide no performance advantage just so fanboys who know nothing about how a computer works will have something to brag about.

Respawn

Banned
That said I find hard to believe that the rumored specs are final, that's way too weak.
Compared to what? PS4? The console will be fine and the games will be fantastic. If Microsoft is serious about these new studios and IP's you have nothing to worry about.

Compared to what? PS4? The console will be fine and the games will be fantastic. If Microsoft is serious about these new studios and IP's you have nothing to worry about.

Even with lower specs compared to PS4, Durango can receive multiplarform games. You're right, the console will be fine, especially for Microsoft.

Didn't a few "those who would know" on here claim both Sony and Microsoft have a couple of drop the bomb 3rd party exclusives each? I'm sure third parties played a role in development just like PS4.

I just can't see MS being way underpowered compared to PS4, perhaps a bit behind but not by a large margin. I wish they would hurry up and announce it, the rumours are stagnant.

Didn't a few "those who would know" on here claim both Sony and Microsoft have a couple of drop the bomb 3rd party exclusives each? I'm sure third parties played a role in development just like PS4.

I just can't see MS being way underpowered compared to PS4, perhaps a bit behind but not by a large margin. I wish they would hurry up and announce it, the rumours are stagnant.

aren't they on par except different ram?

owasog

Microsoft isn't going to waste money on something that will provide no performance advantage just so fanboys who know nothing about how a computer works will have something to brag about.
It won't be "wasting money" if it means people will buy the xbox instead of the PS4 because it has moar RAM.

I was just speculating how Microsoft can improve the specs this late in the game, compared against a technically superior competitor.
But again, I know nothing about DDR3 technology. Have DDR3-densities doubled as well recently? If not, it might be financially impossible to increase the RAM-size like Sony did.

CLEEK

But Durango has more RAM.

Durango: 8192 MB DDR3RAM + 32 MB ESRAM = 8224
PS4: 8192 MB GDDR5 = 8192

8224 > 8192

Similarly, Durango has same amount of bandwidth as PS4; 68 + 102 = 170 GB/s.

Oh and ignore the PS4 CPU clock bump rumor to 2GHz. Also ignore the latency cycles.

The PS4 GPU is not 50% more powerful but the Durango is 33% less.

I think I covered everything.

The only thing you got right was in saying the Durango has 32MB more RAM. (And dont forget, the next Xbox is rumoured to reserve 3GB for the OS, where as the PS4 is rumoured to reserve 0.5GB)

The bandwidth is not identical. You don't just add some bandwidth numbers together to say the totals are the same. The Durange bandwidth is absolutley less than the PS4.

The PS4 GPU *is* 50% more powerful than the rumoured Durango GPU. The Durango is 1.2TF. 50% of that is 0.6TF. 1.2TF (Xbox) + 0.6TF (50%) = 1.8TF (PS4).

FuturusX

It won't be "wasting money" if it means people will buy the xbox instead of the PS4 because it has moar RAM.

I was just speculating how Microsoft can improve the specs this late in the game, compared against a technically superior competitor.
But again, I know nothing about DDR3 technology. Have DDR3-densities doubled as well recently? If not, it might be financially impossible to increase the RAM-size like Sony did.

I just have to smile...

To be honest when looking at the Specs of the Durango the RAM seems to be the least of their problem it's that GPU most should be worried about compared to the PS4 it's like a
HD 7770 vs HD 7870 that's a big gap imo.

Yep, MS´s GPU choice is just a big disappointment and shows they weren`t willing to spend to give us a great machine.

i-Lo

The only thing you got right was in saying the Durango has 32MB more RAM. (And dont forget, the next Xbox is rumoured to reserve 3GB for the OS, where as the PS4 is rumoured to reserve 0.5GB)

The bandwidth is not identical. You don't just add some bandwidth numbers together to say the totals are the same. The Durange bandwidth is absolutley less than the PS4.

The PS4 GPU *is* 50% more powerful than the rumoured Durango GPU. The Durango is 1.2TB. 50% of that is 0.6TB. 1.2TB (Xbox) + 0.6TB (50%) = 1.8TB (PS4).

Tera Bytes... nice.

The PS4 GPU *is* 50% more powerful than the rumoured Durango GPU. The Durango is 1.2TB. 50% of that is 0.6TB. 1.2TB (Xbox) + 0.6TB (50%) = 1.8TB (PS4).

Get a sense of humor

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
who didn't know that,what about the cpu? also can you compare the gpu with pc graphics cards for each?

CPU's are rumored to be almost identical.

PS4 GPU: 7850
720 GPU: 7770

Is it legit? Is there a Link?

sangreal

The PS4 GPU *is* 50% more powerful than the rumoured Durango GPU. The Durango is 1.2TF. 50% of that is 0.6TF. 1.2TF (Xbox) + 0.6TF (50%) = 1.8TF (PS4).

You're always in such a rush to defend the PS4 that you can't detect the slightest sarcasm.

Deuterium

Is it legit? Is there a Link?

Of course it is not legit. It is pure speculation based on unofficial, uncofirmed "leaks" from anonymous "sources". Heck, the bloody existence of the Nextbox hasn't been officially confirmed, yet.

This takes nothing away from Sony's PS4, which is looking to be an bonafide gaming monster. But people are absolutely jumping the gun, in proclaiming which console is superior to the other, at this stage.

i-Lo

CPU's are rumored to be almost identical.

PS4 GPU: 7850
720 GPU: 7770

Actually:

PS4 GPU >7850 in terms of CU, TMU (iirc), added GPGPU functionality, GCN 1.x, TF (1.84 v 1.76). It loses out to 7850 in terms of triangle count set up 1.6B vs 1.72B/sec and core clock.

Rumoured XB3 GPU> 7770 in terms of CU (12 vs 10 which is some here suggest that it may be a detuned Pitcairn instead), added GPGPU functionality, triangle set up (same count as PS4's GPU). It loses out in terms of core clock, TF count (1.23 v 1.28 of 7770)

More importantly, they are both being optimised to be more flexible and much more efficient. It means both of them will perform better than their closest PC variant counterparts.

Top Bottom