• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGtech's RE3 Remake Analysis: XBONEX, PS4-PRO, PS4, XBONES......Is the final Game better on XBONEX?

phil_t98

#SonyToo

The versions tested were 1.03 on the Playstation 4 systems and 1.0.0.4 on the Xbox One systems. Review Codes were supplied by the publisher. PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 Pro renders at a resolution of 2880x1620 and downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p with forced supersampling disabled. Xbox One normally renders at a resolution of approximately 1920x1080, but at some points during cutscenes it seems to render at lower resolutions such as 1728x972 and 1632x918. Xbox One X renders at a resolution of 3840x2160. PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X seem to be using a form of Checkerboard Rendering to reach their stated resolutions.

STATS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qqdLB-OiRG4meyQLVDuIC06GT8DJ8h6VXeCu3RYeu1c/edit#gid=0

aLhQiHN.png

X9McvB0.png

Summary:

No tearing on all consoles. PRO maintains 60fps 95.86% of the time. PS4 73.44%, XBONEX 68.73% and XBONES 43.5% of the time....This is quite a difference in framerate between the consoles, especially PRO and XBONEX...…Still puzzling that so many Capcom games are native 1080p on PS4 and it still performs well enough, even better than XBONEX at like for like advertised resolutions.....XBONEX at 4K and PRO at 1080p.......Still, PS4's native resolution has no CB and XBONEX's 4K is achieved through CB.......I wonder how much better PS4's framerate would be if it did CB to get to 1080p....I've seen the console at 1080p native many times when all the other consoles are doing reconstruction....Quite interesting...Food for thought...…That 2013 beast that is the vanilla PS4 is still churning at native 1080p....

so they are comparing different version of the game code. unpatch xbox version vs patched playstation code. basically unfair test at this point. be interesting to see if it remains the same when both on same patch number

thelastword

Banned
Difference in perceived quality is minimal, sure, but from technical standpoint, it's very different, this is just on Capcom and their wierd priorities.
Yes but when we play, what is most impactful to the experience is the framerate, controller response...…..

thelastword

Banned
I agree with that, hence that this is on Capcom.
Lets be honest though, this is not exactly the first game where framerate is better on PRO, there's a very long list of that happening.....This is not exclusive to Capcom and Japanese devs…….MS overhyped the XBONEX so much as a 4K machine with no compromises, when it's clear that there are compromises to get to 4k in most games, farless if this was native 4K as they touted.....

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Lets be honest though, this is not exactly the first game where framerate is better on PRO, there's a very long list of that happening.....This is not exclusive to Capcom and Japanese devs…….MS overhyped the XBONEX so much as a 4K machine with no compromises, when it's clear that there are compromises to get to 4k in most games, farless if this was native 4K as they touted.....
I guess the main issue is that with shitty jaguar cores, the issue is that the GPU could not be even properly utilised. Which I read somewhere, that you have to put a lot of effort to saturate RAM and use full power of GPU. But this does not mean that devs should do 4k, instead they should prioritized framerate and if they don't hit 4k, then meh, who cares.

thelastword

Banned
One x version will likely perform better again after a res patch. Lets see if this thread gets updated then :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That was said about the demo and many other games before, the same was said about the demo in this case and people said to wait for the final game, hence I put is the final game better on XBONEX in the OP....Just wanted to show that in most cases you don't see a massive upgrade from demo's or previews...

If it does update and improves, why is that a bad thing...…? You can post the update if it's news you are excited for.....I am a PRO player so I will most probably be playing the PRO version anyway..or maybe even PC...

I guess the main issue is that with shitty jaguar cores, the issue is that the GPU could not be even properly utilised. Which I read somewhere, that you have to put a lot of effort to saturate RAM and use full power of GPU. But this does not mean that devs should do 4k, instead they should prioritized framerate and if they don't hit 4k, then meh, who cares.
Hey at least next gen we can be sure most games will be 4k native on either console...….So the people really touting the benefits of resolution will be happy either way...….I still don't understand XBOX fans though, when XBONES was having 720p and 900p games, we had guys like Statham saying he still had a 720P TV and they couldn't tell the differences between these resolutions and 1080p....."best looking 720p game debuted" with Halo 5, till it's tech and compromises were broken down.....They went fierce on the true 4k native angle, but XBONEX is now struggling with framerate with checkerboard resolution....

When I propped up PS4 games over XBONES games it was not because of simply higher resolution.....It's because it was better in every category (rez, frames, effects), people are now pretending that XBONEX's higher resolution means it should lose on framerate......

Skyr

That was said about the demo and many other games before, the same was said about the demo in this case and people said to wait for the final game, hence I put is the final game better on XBONEX in the OP....Just wanted to show that in most cases you don't see a massive upgrade from demo's or previews...

If it does update and improves, why is that a bad thing...…? You can post the update if it's news you are excited for.....I am a PRO player so I will most probably be playing the PRO version anyway..or maybe even PC...
I am not sure you can consider a game final nowdays without a day 1 patch. My guess is they will patch it as a lot of people complained about the performance of the demo on the one x.
Oh and btw my PS4 copy arrived today and I will play it tonight on that. Hence why I don't really care about the One X performance. I just find it funny that as soon as the PS4 version is on top you are really quick about making a thread about it :messenger_kissing_smiling:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Hey at least next gen we can be sure most games will be 4k native on either console...….So the people really touting the benefits of resolution will be happy either way...….I still don't understand XBOX fans though, when XBONES was having 720p and 900p games, we had guys like Statham saying he still had a 720P TV and they couldn't tell the differences between these resolutions and 1080p....."best looking 720p game debuted" with Halo 5, till it's tech and compromises were broken down.....They went fierce on the true 4k native angle, but XBONEX is now struggling with framerate with checkerboard resolution....

When I propped up PS4 games over XBONES games it was not because of simply higher resolution.....It's because it was better in every category (rez, frames, effects), people are now pretending that XBONEX's higher resolution means it should lose on framerate......
yeah but you yourself was doing the same when Xbox X came out, go back to the battlefront 2 comparison and xbox was at 4k and you were shouting about a 1fps difference so its swings and rounds about when you want it to be in your favour

Xbox One X performs worse than PS4 Pro despite a 40% gap in tflops.

Series X performs worse than PS5 despite a 16% gap in tflops?

That's only an idea dont fly at me with your insecurities Series X worshippers!

thelastword

Banned
When did less stable fps become okay if the resolution is higher?

Some people are talking in whatever direction the wind blows, again.
You should have seen some of these XBOX fans and DF when XBONES won better framerate with less resolution/similar, less effects in the few games it did.....No framerate disparity on the level of RE3, DMC5 etc... though...….You could not hear the end of Dragon Age, GTA5 (before it was patched), Witcher 3 and AC Unity.....
Base PS4 is still a beast!
Absolutely, hey I figure if they used CB on base PS4, it would be up there with PS4 PRO relative to framerate.....

BigLee74

What's your point, TLW? Seriously? You seem to think the Pro is a better macgine than the 1X?

It isn't, in the slightest.

If developers ramp the res up so high that framerate suffers, thats purely on the devs, not the machine.

If they brought the res on the 1X down to Pro levels, the 1X would run it better with LOTS of room to spare.

If they brought the res on the Pro up to 1X levels, the Pro would struggle and have a significantly inferior framerate.

Sometimes, for inexplicable reasons, they choose to push the res too high on the 1X. Doesn't make the Pro better, it simply means the devs chose poorly.

But again, you know all this. Yawn.

Xbox One X is at a higher resolution as the PS4Pro, maybe the developers should have developed using similar guidelines as the pro and brought the resolution down to achieve a consistant frame rate.

thelastword

Banned
What's your point, TLW? Seriously? You seem to think the Pro is a better macgine than the 1X?

It isn't, in the slightest.

If developers ramp the res up so high that framerate suffers, thats purely on the devs, not the machine.

If they brought the res on the 1X down to Pro levels, the 1X would run it better with LOTS of room to spare.

If they brought the res on the Pro up to 1X levels, the Pro would struggle and have a significantly inferior framerate.

Sometimes, for inexplicable reasons, they choose to push the res too high on the 1X. Doesn't make the Pro better, it simply means the devs chose poorly.

But again, you know all this. Yawn.
What the devs should have done is irrelevant, we are discussing the current game and it's current tech stats...….There are a load of games where devs try to push resolution way too high on XBONEX and the framerate suffers as a result......That's a fact...

The reality is that X was touted so high as a 4K console with no compromises, so devs are trying to live up to the mantra, maybe MS dictates that the rez on XBOX should be much higher to go with their marketing slogan of "true 4k, no compromises".....You cant just blame the devs as even in this faceoff thread people are praising the resolution as a great thing, even when the framerate suffers so much.....X was suppose to have the better resolution, better textures and effects and better framerate as well.....That is how it was pitched...….Yet if X cannot do 4K CB 60fps, I wonder what the framerate would be at 4K native, perhaps 15-20fps?

ethomaz

Banned
At least things will be very interesting next gen......

Currently XBONEX is 35% over PRO, higher bandwidth over PRO and here is the result.

Next gen, Series X has a 17% higher TF over PS5, 2% higher CPU over PS5......
PS5 has very customized hardware to mitigate those deficits, has a higher clock speed which raises all aspects of the rendering pipeline, has an extremely faster SSD and Sound chip......Yeah things are going to be interesting indeed...….
I believe we will have some “surprises”.
For example there won’t be results on differences like this gen.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yeah, but it's not native 4K...…..PS4 used to outperform XBONES in 1080 vs 720p 60fps games, with better effects on PS4...….That is with the same 33-35% divide between vanilla and mid-gen consoles....
Complete bullshit. Show me a game that is 1080p with better effects and that runs better on Ps4 v 720p with less effects and runs worse on Xb1.

sendit

Yes, RE2 was 1620p on both systems and the X ran basically 99% stable at 60 FPS in that. Like I said; why they pushed this all the way up to 2160p is just weird but given the version numbers I have no doubt there will be a day one patch.

Agreed. Let’s discuss this with terminology we can all relate to. The XboneX is 40% more powerful than the PS4Pro in terms of teraflops.

6 vs 4 😭

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Xbox One X is at a higher resolution as the PS4Pro, maybe the developers should have developed using similar guidelines as the pro and brought the resolution down to achieve a consistant frame rate.

This is what many are trying to tell you WILL HAPPEN with the PS5 and XSX. Now do you get it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That the Playstation 5 will have lower framerates and resolution with 3rd parties? I'm aware.

Man, you aren't that smart are you? It's as if you never even read the OP. Just another rabid Xbox fanboy foaming at the mouth that also doesn't even play video games.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Whatever it would be, it would be significantly higher than the Pro at the same settings, agreed? 😉
CB can hardly keep above 40fps, but you don't want better effects, but you boldly want significantly better effects than PRO at TRUE 4K Native.....Sometimes I don't even know what some of you guys are about.....You'd rather be comforted that XBONEX is True 4K native at ultra settings with very low framerate just to say it has a significant rez advantage over PRO, Actually I was talking about true 4k native for XBOX at the same settings as PRO....If it's only doing 4K CB at 40fps at similar settings to PRO, forget about True 4K native, max settings, because you would probably be looking at dips to 5fps then......

Vawn

Banned
PlayStation is usually top priority for big games because more people play there. They make the game there and worry about ports for the less popular Xbox after. Just because the X is more powerful than the Pro, doesn't mean it's worthwhile for developers to maximize performance for it.

Last edited:

BigLee74

CB can hardly keep above 40fps, but you don't want better effects, but you boldly want significantly better effects than PRO at TRUE 4K Native.....Sometimes I don't even know what some of you guys are about.....You'd rather be comforted that XBONEX is True 4K native at ultra settings with very low framerate just to say it has a significant rez advantage over PRO, Actually I was talking about true 4k native for XBOX at the same settings as PRO....If it's only doing 4K CB at 40fps at similar settings to PRO, forget about True 4K native, max settings, because you would probably be looking at dips to 5fps then......

Jesus man, it was a yes or no answer! 😂

Man, you aren't that smart are you? It's as if you never even read the OP. Just another rabid Xbox fanboy foaming at the mouth that also doesn't even play video games.
No, I just know, like a lot of people here, that 6TF GCN with an under powered Jaguar processor isn't powerful enough to run 4K consistently with a good framerate. Next-Gen, there's no reason why developers couldn't push the XSX or PS5 to those limits. 5TF RDNA 2 should be powerful enough to hit 4k easily at current gen fidelity, the rest will be used for Ray-Tracing, Audio, Polys and so on.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
You can't even compare the One X and Pro to the base One and PS4, the entire memory interface is different. The system is kneecapped in ways it wouldn't be if it had a unified pool of GDDR5. Have you suddenly forgotten it's running DDR3 and 32mb's of eSRAM for the frame buffer?

Apples to oranges.
PS4 and XBONES, same CPU, GPU from the same vendor, the difference was in the memory type and setup......Unified GDDR5 would not make XBONES as performant as PS4.....

REDRZA MWS

Key phrase, “Japanese developers”. They tend to slack on xbox for obvious reasons.

What is the install base in Japan of the Xbox one let alone the One X?

Which console has a much larger install base?

Which is Capcom (and obviously other Japanese Devs) HOME console?

Top Bottom