• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA

Jackson, Mississippi (CNN) -- On a recent Sunday morning just before dawn, two carloads of white teenagers drove to Jackson, Mississippi, on what the county district attorney says was a mission of hate: to find and hurt a black person.

In a parking lot on the western side of town they found their victim.

James Craig Anderson, a 49-year-old auto plant worker, was standing in a parking lot, near his car. The teens allegedly beat Anderson repeatedly, yelled racial epithets, including "White Power!" according to witnesses.

Hinds County District Attorney Robert Shuler Smith says a group of the teens then climbed into their large Ford F250 green pickup truck, floored the gas, and drove the truck right over Anderson, killing him instantly.

Mississippi officials say it was a racially motivated murder. What the gang of teens did not know was that a surveillance camera was focused on the parking lot that night, and many of the events, including the actual murder of Anderson, were captured live on videotape.

CNN has exclusively obtained that surveillance tape. The group of teens that night was led by 18-year-old Deryl Dedmon, Jr., of Brandon, Mississippi, according to police and officials.

"This was a crime of hate. Dedmon murdered this man because he was black," said Hinds County District Attorney Robert Shuler Smith. "The evidence will show that."

Asked if there could be any doubt whether the intent was to actually hurt and kill a black person, Smith responded: "No doubt about it. They were going out to look for a black victim to assault, and in this case, even kill."

Dedmon led and instigated the attack from early in the evening, he took part in the beating of Anderson, and Dedmon was also the actual driver of the Ford 250 truck that would serve as the murder weapon, according to officials.

As the teens were partying and drinking miles away from Jackson that night, in largely white Rankin County, Dedmon told friends they should leave, saying "let's go fuck with some niggers," according to law enforcement officials.

Then, the gang of teens climbed into Dedmon's green truck and a white SUV Cherokee, and drove 16 miles down Interstate 20, to the western edge of Jackson, a predominantly black area.

The teens would have seen Anderson immediately as they exited the highway, as the parking lot where he was standing is just beside the exit ramp.

"This is the first business that you get to coming off the highway and so that was the first person that was out here and vulnerable," said district attorney Smith.

On the videotape, obtained and reviewed by CNN, the group of teens is seen pulling into the parking lot, and stopping where Anderson is standing, though he is just off camera and not visible.

The teens can then be seen going back and forth between their cars and Anderson. Witnesses told law enforcement officials this is when the repeated beatings of Anderson took place.

Dedmon pummeled Anderson repeatedly as he crumpled to the street, according to officials, though this is not visible in the videotape. Finally, after the beating some of the teens left and some got into the green truck.

At this moment on the video, Anderson becomes visible, as he staggered into view and walked towards the headlights of the truck. The truck suddenly surges ahead, running over Anderson, then continuing at high speed away from the scene.

Shortly after he allegedly drove the truck over Anderson, Dedmon allegedly boasted and laughed about the killing, according to testimony given by some of the teens to detectives.

"I ran that nigger over," Dedmon allegedly said in a phone conversation to the teens in the other car.

He repeated the racial language in subsequent conversations, according to the law enforcement officials.

"He was not remorseful he was laughing, laughing about the killing," said district attorney Smith.

Later that morning, James Craig Anderson's family learned their 49-year-old brother and son died in a hit and run. Only later, when witness statements were taken did they learn the real horror.

"It appears there is no doubt that this was a racially motivated killing," said Winston Thompson, the attorney representing Anderson's family. "The family is still in shock still in disbelief."

Smith and officials in the Hinds County District Attorney's office say they plan to indict Dedmon for murder and a hate crime.

Deryl Dedmon is thin, weighing a mere 130 pounds, and short -- at 5 feet; he has straggly blond hair and piercing blue eyes.

The teen, just 18 years old, has been charged with murder and now faces a possible double life sentence. Calls to Deryl Dedmon's attorney have gone unanswered.

During a bond hearing his attorney told the court he saw nothing to back up the "racial allegations."

At Dedmon's home, a girl who answered the door pretended not to know him though the pick-up truck he allegedly used as a murder weapon sticks out of the family's garage.

Police say they returned it after the vehicle was processed. A second teen, 18-year-old John Aaron Rice, has been charged with simple assault, for his part in the beating his attorney also did not return calls.

Neither teen has entered a plea.

The other teens in the group have not been charged.

And James Craig Anderson's family has decided to remain silent for now, trying to come to grips with a crime they thought was in Mississippi's past: the murder of a man just because he was black.

No this wasn't in Florida.

With vid
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/06/mississippi.hate.crime/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Jackson, Mississippi (CNN) -- The prosecutor investigating the hit-and-run killing of a black man in Jackson, Mississippi, announced he has upgraded the charge against suspect Deryl Dedmon from murder to capital murder. This makes the white 19-year-old suspect eligible for a possible death sentence if convicted.

Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith released a statement that said the upgrade to capital murder was made after new evidence was discovered that supported the allegation that Dedmon committed the crime of robbery during the commission of the killing of James Craig Anderson.

"It does not change the theory of the case," Shuler Smith told CNN. "It is still a hate crime."

The killing -- which sparked national attention after CNN obtained and aired exclusive surveillance videothat shows the attack as it took place -- is also being investigated by the U.S. Justice Department, federal and Mississippi officials tell CNN.

Anderson, 49, was first beaten by the group of teens as he stood in a hotel parking lot early on the morning of June 26, according to some of the teens who were interviewed by police.

After the beating, a group of the teens drove a large Ford pickup truck over Anderson, according to witnesses and officials. Anderson died from his injuries later the same day.

Federal investigators are in Jackson at the request of Smith, who says he will be seeking indictments against some or all of the white teens in coming weeks.

"This was a racially motivated murder, committed because the victim was black. We want to prosecute and bring justice in this case to the fullest extent of the law," said Smith, explaining that he called Justice Department officials and asked for more investigators to come to Mississippi to help interview witnesses and pursue leads in the crime.

Under federal law, authorities can pursue further charges and punishment if it is determined that a crime was racially motivated. Officials from the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed to CNN that "the department has an ongoing investigation."

Opinion: Hate crimes are a national problem

The group of teens that night was led by Dedmon of Brandon, Mississippi, according to police and officials in the DA's office. Dedmon is being held in Jackson.

Another teen, John Aaron Rice, was also charged with murder at first, until a judge reduced his charges because Rice was not believed to be driving the vehicle used to kill Anderson.

Smith and officials in the Hinds County District Attorney's office say they plan to indict both Dedmon and Rice for murder and a hate crime.

Attorneys for Dedmon and Rice did not return CNN's calls.

During a bond hearing, Dedmon's attorney told the court he saw nothing to back up the "racial allegations."

Neither teen has pleaded yet, and none of the other teens has been charged.

But Hinds and officials from the DA's office say they hope to bring indictments against not only Dedmon and Rice, but also other teens who were in their cars and part of the attack that early morning.

DA: Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man

Dedmon led and instigated the attack, according to officials; he took part in and led the beating of Anderson, and Dedmon was also the driver of the Ford 250 truck that served as the murder weapon, according to officials.

Before the murder, as the teens were partying and drinking miles away from Jackson that night, in largely white Rankin County, Dedmon told friends they should leave, saying, "Let's go fuck with some niggers," according to law enforcement officials.

Then the gang of teens climbed into Dedmon's green truck and a white SUV Cherokee and drove 16 miles down Interstate 20 to the western edge of Jackson, a predominantly black area.

The teens would have seen Anderson immediately as they exited the highway, because the parking lot where he was standing is just beside the exit ramp.

"This is the first business that you get to coming off the highway and so that was the first person that was out here and vulnerable," said Smith.

On the videotape, obtained and reviewed by CNN, a truck is seen pulling into the parking lot and stopping where Anderson is standing, though he is just off camera and not visible.

Teens can then be seen going back and forth between their cars and Anderson.

Watch the video (contains graphic images; discretion advised)

Witnesses told law enforcement officials this is when the repeated beatings of Anderson took place. Dedmon pummeled Anderson repeatedly as he crumpled to the street, according to officials, though this is not visible in the videotape.

After the beating, some of the teens left and some got into the truck.

At this moment on the video, Anderson becomes visible, as he staggers into view and walks toward the headlights of the truck. The truck suddenly surges ahead, running over Anderson, then continues at high speed away from the scene.

Shortly after he allegedly drove the truck over Anderson, Dedmon allegedly boasted and laughed about the killing, according to the testimony of police detectives who interviewed the teens.

"I ran that nigger over," Dedmon allegedly said in a phone conversation to the teens in the other car. He repeated the racial language in subsequent conversations, according to the law enforcement officials.

"He was not remorseful. He was laughing, laughing about the killing," said district attorney Smith.

v

Juicy Bob

Fucking disgusting as shameful to all of us as human beings. I'm not going to watch the video, though. I question why anyone (or, rather, the public) would need to see such footage. It feels like it's making a voyeuristic and grim spectacle of death.

Nix

Banned
Fucking scum. Rape that little shit up the ass some in jail. Hope he gets life, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with kids these days.

Also, I like your avatar OP; very classy.

Tenck

Juicy Bob said:
Fucking disgusting as shameful to all of us as human beings. I'm not going to watch the video, though. I question why anyone would need to see such footage, as it feels like it's making a voyeuristic and grim spectacle of death.

It's from security cameras. That footage helped capture that little prick.

Haha you're the 4th or 5th person who comments on my avatar from Gaf. They all liked it too :)

Lamel

Banned
The dude being run over...fuck, you could see him putting his hands up to "block". What a little piece of shit who did this.

InertiaXr

This is just terrible. What's up with racism anyways? Maybe it's the way I grew up but I don't even understand why you would even care if a man/woman is 'your own color' or 'a filthy nigger' or any other color or race. This is a senseless crime and now this kid will sit in prison until he dies because of it.

Juicy Bob said:
Fucking disgusting as shameful to all of us as human beings. I'm not going to watch the video, though. I question why anyone (or, rather, the public) would need to see such footage. It feels like it's making a voyeuristic and grim spectacle of death.

I don't like this either. I'm assuming that CNN is 'proud' they 'exclusively' obtained this footage? This only needs to be shown in courts.

I can see them all now, drunk and fired up to go harass a black man just for the fun of it, having a good old time. Not very funny now is it ya fucking murderer.

2ajaqs6.png

Why is a video of a man dying being aired on national TV/available online? This is horrific, stupid, and awful enough as is without the family having to know that everyone in the country can re-live their nightmare.

Lionheart1337 said:

pretty sure this won't be one of those threads. Everyone here will be outraged rightfully so.

I wish I could take solace knowing that he'd get fucked up in jail, but for the most part there are white supremacist gangs in most american prisons and they'd be welcoming of them seeing as they committed a hate crime.

I can't think of any words for how I feel about this. Its beyond rage, its beyond disappointment in the fact that there are still people who think this way, its a feeling I cannot describe.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe that people in this day and age are still like this. Really? What a bunch of fucking shitstains.

duk

Banned
i fuckin hate trash like this, burn them alive after u cut off their balls and fry it up in front of them

FILTH!

Wow it makes me sick that people would still target someone because of their race, and murder them for it. :(

If you can kill without remorse, that means you are a sociopath right?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
And this is why we have hate crime laws, kids. Text book example in fact.

This shit makes me so angry. I can only imagine the rage I could be feeling if I was a close family member. It is so disgusting that events like this still go on in this day and age.
Jesus fucking christ.

Disgusting is the only word I can think of to describe the situation. The mentality of racists completely baffles me. The day this kid walks out of prison is the day I lose all faith in humanity.

I regret watching that video now. Hearing the story is one thing, but I'll never be comfortable seeing someone's last living moments played out before my eyes, especially when it's under such disturbing circumstances.

InertiaXr said:
Maybe it's the way I grew up but I don't even understand why you would even care if a man/woman is 'your own color' or 'a filthy nigger' or any other color or race.

I'm at a loss for words. I don't get offended on behalf of people, but you just throw it out there and prepend the word filthy to it... for what? You're trying to prove how post-racial you are but just come off flat out moronic.

I have often thought of moving down south to get away from the high cost of living in the north east. Then stories like this come along and I snap out of it.

Al-ibn Kermit

Nix said:
Fucking scum. Rape that little shit up the ass some in jail. Hope he gets life, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with kids these days.

Oh come on, racially motivated violence isn't a recent thing. I hope the entire group of teens get shown no mercy by the courts though.

InertiaXr

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
I'm at a loss for words. I don't get offended on behalf of people, but you just throw it out there and prepend the word filthy to it... for what? You're trying to prove how post-racial you are but just come off flat out moronic.

lmao what? So if I take the word filthy out of it then it's all fine. I'm just trying to communicate what this guy is probably thinking and what I have heard people say and type in real life and on the internet. The word filthy is 'prepended' (never heard this word before) in this context quite frequently, I don't care to come off as post-racial whatever that is but simply trying to communicate my point. If it scars your eyes so then hopefully a mod will edit it out if deemed necessary.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Blows my mind how people can even think of doing this shit and then convincing a bunch of others to do the same thing. Fuck dumb cunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom