• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows principal holding a student’s head while he’s shocked with a stun gun

Dalek

Video shows principal holding a student’s head while he’s shocked with a stun gun

woodland-hills-screengrab-jpg.jpg

An attorney for three students who were allegedly threatened and beaten at a Pittsburgh high school said recent surveillance video exposes an atmosphere where administrators and police are “assaulting children.”

Todd Hollis, a civil rights attorney, said his clients plan to sue the Woodland Hills School District, school board and Churchill Police Department in three separate cases in southwestern Pennsylvania.

“We want a change in the culture,” Hollis said in an interview.

“This has gone uncovered; nobody feels that they’ve done anything wrong because they’ve been doing it so long,” Hollis added. “They’re assaulting children. They’re violating children’s civil and constitutional rights.”

The three incidents at Woodland Hills High School date to March 2015, when a then-15-year-old student was taken to the principal because he disagreed with a teacher in a classroom, the student’s attorney said.

Surveillance video released Tuesday showed Ahmad Williams, who is black, sitting in the school office when the school resource officer, identified as Churchill Police Officer Steve Shaulis, pointed a finger in the teen’s face.

The officer was seen walking into a hallway, where he appeared to continue speaking to the boy.

Hollis, the teen’s attorney, said the officer was “taunting” the teen, and that the teen responded.

The video showed the officer pull the boy by his collar and put him in a chokehold, forcing him down a hallway headed away from the camera. The officer then slammed him to the ground.

Another man, identified as Woodland Hills High School Principal Kevin Murray, quickly intervened — holding the teen’s head down as the resource officer appeared to use a taser on him.

“Shaulis tased him a number of times and handcuffed him,” Hollis said in a statement. “After handcuffing the child, Shaulis lifted the child up off the ground by his handcuffs and took him back into his office, where he continued to assault the child. The child was later charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. After presenting the attached video in court, the student’s charge for resisting arrest was dismissed.”

Hollis said a second student was threatened in November when he was found on school property after hours. A school administrator told him to leave and, during an argument, the teen called her a vulgar slur.

The student was then taken to see the principal. In an audio clip, the principal can be heard saying, “Call me a b—-. You want to treat my people like s—, treat me like s—; see how this goes for you.”

“You call me a b—-, I’m going to f—— punch you in the face,” he continued. “Man to man, bro. I don’t care if you’re f—— 14 years old or not, I will punch you in your face and, when we go down to court, it’s your word versus mine, and mine wins every time.”

The next month, Murray, the principal, was put on administrative leave during an investigation by the school district and the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

He was reinstated earlier this year.

Video and more at the link. Tase me if old.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
don’t care if you’re f—— 14 years old or not, I will punch you in your face and, when we go down to court, it’s your word versus mine, and mine wins every time.”

I think we should wait for all the facts to come in!

Horrible story. I want to take this opportunity to applaud the meme of "blank me of old". Usually gets a good laugh out of me

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
“Shaulis tased him a number of times and handcuffed him,” Hollis said in a statement. “After handcuffing the child, Shaulis lifted the child up off the ground by his handcuffs and took him back into his office, where he continued to assault the child. The child was later charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. After presenting the attached video in court, the student’s charge for resisting arrest was dismissed.”

Disgusting and then adding on those charge. Fuck these people.

Glix

14 years old or not, I will punch you in your face and, when we go down to court, it’s your word versus mine, and mine wins every time.

This quote is everything I hate about the world distilled into one sentence. Somebody should beat the shit out of this fucking piece of garbage, due process be damned.

Trojita

steve-shaulis-queshawn-wade.jpeg

This kid was punched by the same officer several times in the back and front of the head.

MKIL65

"When we go down to court, it's your word versus mine, and mine wins every time."

Right, so he's well aware of his actions. Therefore, he can't be described as ''mentally ill''

Surely he'll go to jail, right?

darscot

Man that is hard to watch, I dunno how people do it. That is my son I don't know how I get past it, without serious violence.

Glix

Right, so he's well aware of his actions. Therefore, he can't be described as ''mentally ill''

Surely he'll go to jail, right?

Go to jail???? He was reinstated to the job after the investigation.
The next month, Murray, the principal, was put on administrative leave during an investigation by the school district and the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

He was reinstated earlier this year.

Trojita

The kid that the principal said "I'll knock your fucking teeth down your throat" to was a special education student.

The recording that caught it couldn't be used in court.

They charged the student with wiretapping

The principal is back at his job and was also given the position of head coach of their football team.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/05/kevin-murray-woodland-hills-videos-principal-pittsburgh-pa-football/

According to TribLive, Murray was placed on leave after a ”controversial recording surfaced of a verbal tirade involving a special-education student."

The superintendent, Alan Johnson, said Murray was disciplined but will return to his job. TribLive quoted the superintendent as saying, ”I'm still deeply disappointed in the principal, and he knows that. And he is disappointed in himself. He will be returning, and we believe this was an anomaly. This was not representative of who he is and things he has done at Woodland Hills."

The District Attorney reviewed the case but is not pressing charges. The DA told TribLive that the recording, which was secret, could not be used in court. Murray is heard telling the 14-year-old student ”I'll punch you right in your face, dude," and ”I'll knock your (expletive) teeth down your throat," according to TribLive.

The DA's office is still investigating separate allegations against Officer Shaulis and a student at the school, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

According to the newspaper, the student in the Murray recording incident, who was not identified, ”was charged with violating wiretapping laws and sentenced to probation." Activists have claimed there is a pattern of students being charged with crimes. However, Murray and his attorney say the entire incident was mischaracterised, with the attorney saying the principal is a disciplinarian and that the incident had nothing to do with race. Rather, the attorney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the youth in question had been ”disrespectful" to a female employee.

Mathunilx

Neo Member
Future teacher here:

Stories like this are scary. I've met many people who work at schools and no one would ever do anything like that.

However, one thing I always feared was having a student who did not care at all for the rules. Like, having a student who refuses to leave class when I ask him to, or who comes to class high etc

In these situations, there is pretty much nothing I can do besides call the principle or security. However, when I do that, I expect them not to be violent with the kid. If he refuses to leave and or becomes violent when they come to get him, there are probably ways to get him to cooperate without hitting him or hurting him.

When I read stories like this, I wonder why such force was deemed necessary. Unless the kid had brought a weapon to school or was threatening to harm other students, I see no reason to act like this.

Risible

“You call me a b—-, I’m going to f—— punch you in the face,” he continued. “Man to man, bro. I don’t care if you’re f—— 14 years old or not, I will punch you in your face and, when we go down to court, it’s your word versus mine, and mine wins every time.”

Except when there's a, you know, video surveillance system in place.

Being the principal YOU KNOW IT'S THERE. How the fuck do people like this get to be school administrators.

Future teacher here:

Stories like this are scary. I've met many people who work at schools and no one would ever do anything like that.

However, one thing I always feared was having a student who did not care at all for the rules. Like, having a student who refuses to leave class when I ask him to, or who comes to class high etc

In these situations, there is pretty much nothing I can do besides call the principle or security. However, when I do that, I expect them not to be violent with the kid. If he refuses to leave and or becomes violent when they come to get him, there are probably ways to get him to cooperate without hitting him or hurting him.

When I read stories like this, I wonder why such force was deemed necessary. Unless the kid had brought a weapon to school or was threatening to harm other students, I see no reason to act like this.
It really doesn't take much more than racism and individuals who like to abuse power.

And even if the kid had brought a weapon, it still wouldn't justify behavior like this.

”Shaulis tased him a number of times and handcuffed him," Hollis said in a statement. ”After handcuffing the child, Shaulis lifted the child up off the ground by his handcuffs and took him back into his office, where he continued to assault the child.
”You call me a b—-, I'm going to f—— punch you in the face," he continued. ”Man to man, bro. I don't care if you're f—— 14 years old or not, I will punch you in your face and, when we go down to court, it's your word versus mine, and mine wins every time."

It's completely messed up.

Jeff-DSA

I just watched the video and now I'm absolutely furious. I'm having trouble even commenting on it right now. I need some time.

Mesoian

”You call me a b—-, I'm going to f—— punch you in the face," he continued. ”Man to man, bro. I don't care if you're f—— 14 years old or not, I will punch you in your face and, when we go down to court, it's your word versus mine, and mine wins every time."

Except when there's a, you know, video surveillance system in place.

Being the principal YOU KNOW IT'S THERE. How the fuck do people like this get to be school administrators.

Hey, he was right.

And that's the world we live in.

The superintendent, Alan Johnson, said Murray was disciplined but will return to his job. TribLive quoted the superintendent as saying, “I’m still deeply disappointed in the principal, and he knows that. And he is disappointed in himself. He will be returning, and we believe this was an anomaly. This was not representative of who he is and things he has done at Woodland Hills.”
Nothin like a paid vacation to really teach someone a lesson

Khaz

The kid that the principal said "I'll knock your fucking teeth down your throat" to was a special education student.

The recording that caught it couldn't be used in court.

They charged the student with wiretapping

The principal is back at his job and was also given the position of head coach of their football team.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/05/kevin-murray-woodland-hills-videos-principal-pittsburgh-pa-football/

Holy shit

"I'm being harassed
- Do you have proof?
- I managed to record the harassment
- It's illegal to record someone without their consent
- ???
- You're being charged for that
- What about my aggressor??
- Since you don't have any real proof, he's free to go back to harass teach at your school"

Holy shit

"I'm being harassed
- Do you have proof?
- ???
- Since you don't have any real proof, he's free to go back to harass teach at your school"

You forgot the most all important fact that the kid fails the Paper Bag Test.

Break this fuckers teeth out of his head.

I'll gladly punch him in the fucking face if that's what he apparently wants so bad.

It should be standard in every school. Not for disciplining students (that's absurd, and this situation is awful), but for protecting them.

Fuck that. I had a cop in my rural ass Indiana high school full of white kids, and all he ever did was STILL harass students who were doing nothing.

Fuck the police.

JKRMA

Banned
So I guess the principal won in the end? Is this what the world has come to? It's one tape saying the whole his word against mine and he still won. WOW?!

Gotta send that mofo a calling card.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How are the parents not fucking outraged and terrified at the same time? If my kid were going to this school I'd be shitting bricks.

R0ckman

Holy shit

"I'm being harassed
- Do you have proof?
- ???

Wow this feels like a story from 60 years ago. This is almost Jim Crow level corruption.

Top Bottom