• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows woman shoot at burglars in home invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you believe this is a one in a million example, then you are reading or following very biased news sources. A simple Google search for home intruders being shot brings up a great number of stories of people protecting themselves and their home. There are quite a few even of mothers home alone with their children, catching intruders in their child's room or trying to get to them.

Seriously, this is far from a one in a million thing. This is why discussing responsible ownership and laws makes more sense than trying to outright ban guns entirely. There are far too many stories of people protecting themselves and others against criminals who could care less about laws or peoples' lives.

Goes all ways with guns. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

entremet

But the paranoid states in the south are ruining it for the more enlightened Northeast states, by helping get guns into circulation

anti-gun advocates are LITERALLY worse than hitler

Sure. But I think hearing about all these gun stories on GAF as a non-American has colored your perception a bit.

We do not live in a constant state a fear and massive gun ownership across the population. Legal ownership is still not that common. It's not like vehicle ownership and it's very regional.

There are also some nuance with gun owners. Some are hunters, others hobbyists, others collectors, and others get them for home defense. We're not this homogenous population of gun owners either.

Many gun owners would never use their guns for home defense since they see it as an unnecessary risk.

Damerman

I thought the first shot from the robbers hit her. She is very lucky. And to be brave enough to exchange gun fire with them is crazy. I'm not sure i would do the same as her in this situation.

Kurdel

Banned
"I am glad there are so much guns out there, because we need to protect ourselves from all the guns out there."

Having lived in Africa for half my life, there are measures you can take to protect your home/valuables without the prospect of killing someone. I am sure having a gun is cheaper, but if you live in a bad enough neighbourhood to think about that, why not reinforce your house?

home-security-in-south-africa-what-you-need-to-know-5-638.jpg

MogCakes

Man, it sure seems like a lot of people would rather have the lady be killed so they can wag their finger and point out that guns didn't save her.
"See? Guns are horrible, look at what those inhuman burglars did to that poor defenseless woman! Tools of the devil!"

"That was disgusting, that woman killed one of the poor burglars with a horrible gun! Guns are horrible and she should be locked up! I feel so bad for that burglar, he didn't deserve to get shot by a horrible gun just for trying to rob someone at gunpoint. I know because guns are horrible. This world has no justice, they would have left peacefully, they are angels at heart. Guns are horrible, tools of the devil!"

Yeah, there is some hoop-jumping going on with this gun argument.

"See? Guns are horrible, look at what those inhuman burglars did to that poor defenseless woman! Tools of the devil!"

"That was disgusting, that woman killed one of the poor burglars with a horrible gun! Guns are horrible and she should be locked up! I feel so bad for that burglar, he didn't deserve to get shot by a horrible gun just for trying to rob someone at gunpoint. I know because guns are horrible. This world has no justice, they would have left peacefully, they are angels at heart. Guns are horrible, tools of the devil!"

Yeah, there is some hoop-jumping going on with this gun argument.

Agreed. Gotta maintain the narrative even when events contrary to it pop up. Spin it.

Lyn

Banned
"I am glad there are so much guns out there, because we need to protect ourselves from all the guns out there."

Having lived in Africa for half my life, there are measures you can take to protect your home/valuables without the prospect of killing someone. I am sure having a gun is cheaper, but if you live in a bad enough neighbourhood to think about that, why not reinforce your house?

These exist here as well, although generally only seen in the rougher neighborhoods where crime is extremely rampant. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I imagine most don't want these due to not wanting their home to look like a prison or to hinder emergency services during a fire/rescue.

The ones you linked look a little nicer, but generally the ones I see here are more along these lines.

Zoe

That would have stopped the guy trying to crash throughh the glass door, but if they have a way of getting through your lock, they're gonna get in.

HyperionX

If you believe this is a one in a million example, then you are reading or following very biased news sources. A simple Google search for home intruders being shot brings up a great number of stories of people protecting themselves and their home. There are quite a few even of mothers home alone with their children, catching intruders in their child's room or trying to get to them.

Seriously, this is far from a one in a million thing. This is why discussing responsible ownership and laws makes more sense than trying to outright ban guns entirely. There are far too many stories of people protecting themselves and others against criminals who could care less about laws or peoples' lives.

A one in a million example would mean it happens approximately 300 times per year. This could easily be a one in a million and you'll still find a great number of stories like this.

Number-wise, they are greatly outnumbered by unnecessary gun deaths. This is the point a lot of us are trying to make, but sadly ignored by too many in this thread.

He's not saying that. He's saying that a gun for self defense is statistically counter productive. Un seatbelts people in car wrecks are occasionally saved from death by being thrown clear of the vehicle but that is a statistically poor safety strategy. So is a gun. Math not opinion.

Basically this. Owning a firearm increases, not decreases your chances of death. Events like these are rare exceptions (but trumped up by certain people as if it was the norm).

dezzy8

The only thing I see wrong with this video is the fact that the husband/boyfriend showed his face after the fact that she shot shit up.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Good for her.

Whilst I don't agree with America's gun laws, at least people can defend themselves like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom