• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video X Games 2013 Thread: Mosquitos X Capcom: Fate of Kayane's Legs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RE: This conversation on stream right now, kinda agree that this weird sentiment exists, but EVO really stuck a middle finger up to tier whores and people (players or monsters) that though UMvC3 had been figured out. Just kinda solidified that we have so much left to learn, and that good play can get you further than just throwing Doom on a team.

vulva

So when's the tournament actually happening? 40 entrants and they said this is going til the end of the day? How is that even possible

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Please beach gods put Yipes and Champ on the mic.

These two on the mic right now need a break.

I don't know who the guy in the gimp mask is but he sounds like he just got done deep throating a copacabana foot long.

RE: This conversation on stream right now, kinda agree that this weird sentiment exists, but EVO really stuck a middle finger up to tier whores and people (players or monsters) that though UMvC3 had been figured out. Just kinda solidified that we have so much left to learn, and that good play can get you further than just throwing Doom on a team.

Yeah finally people are picking zero now instead of tier whoring

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So when's the tournament actually happening? 40 entrants and they said this is going til the end of the day? How is that even possible
Tournament started an hour ago. And they're streaming every single match, pretty much because they can.

By the looks of the breaks in between matches though, they're going to need to run some stuff off-stream though.

Yeah finally people are picking zero now instead of tier whoring
Flocker has used Zero since Vanilla, and he's the only Zero that made it that far. He also uses Hawkeye, who is agreed upon to be not that great, especially in the slot he's in.

vulva

yeah enzo, I really don't know what you're talking about here. One tournament doesn't prove anything anyways

edit: this is in regards to the evo thing

LordJim

Nobody plays anywhere near optimal for mid and high tier characters to be irrelevant yet.
Player skill wins more matches and drops/mistakes cost more matches than any match-ups and tech could ever hope to do.

A bottleneck will be reached, but for now half the cast can form great teams.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
yeah enzo, I really don't know what you're talking about here. One tournament doesn't prove anything anyways

edit: this is in regards to the evo thing
It's not the first time Angelic has done that well either, he's consistently placed well, people keep sleeping on Shuma. Same goes with Flocker (see my edit). People have been abandoning Taskmaster and he plowed through most of the tournament. In a tournament with as many variables and different teams you have to face on the way to the top as EVO, that means a lot and shows quite a bit of coherency in team construction. There's no better measure for that sort of thing than EVO.

sleepykyo

I can feel the tension in this matches. You can almost smell the determin~ takeout from the crowd right on the stream station stage.

Max himself said season 3 of Assist Me is the last because UMvC3 has been figured out. :p

I thought VxG was a bigger kinda deal in the past, am I wrong? This seems more like our locals.

This is only the second time they've done VxG. Last year's highlights include Sanford winning marvel because no one noteworthy entered, AE matches played without the 2012 patch, and the Bifu stream showing hours of the AE title screen while matches happened elsewhere.

Grecco

It's not the first time Angelic has done that well either, he's consistently placed well, people keep sleeping on Shuma. Same goes with Flocker (see my edit). People have been abandoning Taskmaster and he plowed through most of the tournament. In a tournament with as many variables and different teams you have to face on the way to the top as EVO, that means a lot and shows quite a bit of coherency in team construction. There's no better measure for that sort of thing than EVO.

shuma assist is a top 5 assist but shuma himself still kinda sucks.

i dont see how a tourney where a zero vergil shell won is proof that tier whores got owned

AutumnAve

This is only the second time they've done VxG. Last year's highlights include Sanford winning marvel because no one noteworthy entered, AE matches played without the 2012 patch, and the Bifu stream showing hours of the AE title screen while matches happened elsewhere.

LOL. I had no idea, I have idea where my perception of VxG came from. That sounds hilarious.

LordJim

i dont see how a tourney where a zero vergil shell won is proof that tier whores got owned

Well, the rest of the top 3 is not shells people expected.
And top 32 had over 30 characters represented.
Top player and supposedly cheapest team in the world did not get top 4 and even lost to Jill anchor.
Nobody says balance is amazing, but game is nowhere near it's bottleneck

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

By a hair. Top tiers aren't suddenly not as good, but on the contrary there was no Doom in Top 3 either, who is pretty much the best universal support character. Taking a gander at the Top 8 kinda disproves the mentality towards the metagame, that's all.

EDIT: I cosign all of LordJim's posts on the matter as well.

Top Bottom