• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: The 50 Best Video Games of All Time

BibiMaghoo

Terrible list with some mandatory choices thrown in to hide that they only play Nintendo games but recently bought an Xbox.

And While Tetris is great, it is no greater than say, Breakout. Its execution is perfect, but it lacks any real depth. There are games spaces away that put it to obvious shame in that regard. I can't consider a game lacking in depth, even if flawless in it's gameplay to be better than games that have both.

petran79

Banned
No Street Fighter? No Sega?
Time editors probably interviewed guys who played arcade games in the early 80s only and then preferred to play on PC or Nintendo consoles.

Ah, sure. Because it's ok for other people to ignore the OTHER half of the sentence, right?

What? Someone just responded to that.

Shit posting at it's finest. When you respond with a gif it's clear you have no counter point

Great way to try and single me out for shit posting. If you want my response ok I'll quote him for what I was really smh at.

"I dont think TLOU will be that well remembered a few years from now, maybe some people and magazines will forget about it."

Did you read that? This is already false. People are still talking about The Last of Us in 2016 and they're still going to talk about it a decade later.

People insinuate that somehow the opinions are wrong and that TLoU, MGS3, or something like SFII etc should have absolutely made the top 20 in lists like these. Just because those people feel that way doesn't mean everyone else should/does.

That's their opinion. If they feel strongly about it, they'll use hyperbolic language. If someone feels that it's completely absurd that TLOU isn't on the list (LOL), fine, good for them. I feel strongly about SFII being missing.

I don't see the problem. Anyone disagreeing with any part of the list is saying that "the opinions are wrong". That's what disagreement is. And that's exactly the discussion that these lists should generate - what they got right or wrong.

Anyway, it's all in good fun.

Dark Souls as the best game of all time? LMAO. It's easily my favorite game of the last decade, but it's nowhere near the best game of "all time".

I would say the best game of any decade is a contender for best of all time. And I also think Dark Souls is the best game in recent years.

Memento

I would swap ROTTR for TR2013 tbh, that game makes more sense

It makes zero sense for a supposedly professional magazine to put ROTTR or even TR2013 on the list and completely ignores Uncharted 2, which not only was the huge inspiration behind the Tomb Raider franchise reboot but actually is better.

Despite popular GAF opinion, it's not the best game ever made. Not that anything below the top ten makes a whole lot of sense anyway though.

Never said it was the best game ever made but not being in the list is just stupid, specially when we have games like Angry Birds on it....

Zolo

ROTTR seems to get more acclaim from places outside of the usual video game media/publications.

That said, I don't really care for best *whatever media* of all time since I tend to find them useless. Maybe most impactful or just whatever a person's personal favorite is.

Mxrz

I'd call it "The remnants of once proud Time Magazine's desperate attempt to stay relevant in the clickbait era top 50 video games, as by some guys born in the 90s that played some retro games once.

"Best" is subjective as hell. If its most impact then its a failure. Elite, SF2, Temco, Dune/WC2, etc. The bit about 2K5 over Madden, ignoring pretty much the entire history of Sega and EA kills that theory.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That really is one of the worst "best ever" lists I have ever seen.

It fails even as a talking point.

Harlequin

Rise of the Tomb Raider at 18 and none of the original Tomb Raider games are even on the list? Ew.

EDIT: I just realised that that may come across as me thinking that Rise should've been higher up. Let me clear that up by saying I don't think it should've even been on the list at all :p.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Actually not a bad list. But I always wonder -- do they mean, if you played all those games today? Or for when they were released? Or for their influence in the overall picture of gaming?

Some great games, but I think objectively for instance, GTA5 is just such a better game than GTA3. Did it have the same influence? Probably not, but as far as straight up quality? Well...

I disagree with Tetsris, Pong and the like being 'the best games ever'. Tetris is revolutionary, innovative and every nice thing you want to say about it, but nostalgia aside, it is not the best game. The first rocket to reach space isn't the best rocket ever.

not one souls game throw this list in the trash

You liking a game doesn't make it the best game ever. The Souls games Shouldn't even be a contender, everything considered.

But I always wonder -- do they mean, if you played all those games today? Or for when they were released? Or for their influence in the overall picture of gaming?
It doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it. That's one reason why it's a terrible list.

Bioshock so low, with an NFL game just above it. Christ.

NFL 2K5 is flat-out a better game than BioShock. So is Tecmo Super Bowl. That's two, count 'em, two NFL games that are better than BioShock.

I know that people here sometimes have a hard time wrapping their heads around the high quality of great sports games, but that doesn't make them bad games.

The list might have been more successful if it had been a list of "games we think are pretty darn cool in no particular order".

galaga not being #1 is a war crime tbh

DevilDog

You liking a game doesn't make it the best game ever. The Souls games Shouldn't even be a contender, everything considered.

It is as much as a contender as everything else. Why wouldn't it be?

NFL 2K5 is flat-out a better game than BioShock. So is Tecmo Super Bowl. That's two, count 'em, two NFL games that are better than BioShock.

I know that people here sometimes have a hard time wrapping their heads around the high quality of great sports games, but that doesn't make them bad games.

100% agree, it's easy to forget sometimes that sports games are so popular for a reason.

Oh, super glad to see Rise of the Tomb Raider here. Was my GOTY last year, it's just outstanding, so cannot complain with that pick.

Can you give me an overview of what was great about it? I played some hours at my friends house and was underwhelmed by the combat and its reptitive nature so I gave up. That and I prefer Lara in the previous trilogy, yet I've seen people praise it a whole lot!

so edgy, etc

I wasn't trying to be edgy. But I shouldn't have posted that since that game wasn't even mentioned.

Anyways, it's hard for me to disagree with the top 10. All of them were influential in some regard and some set the tone for their respective genres. Good list.

Oneself

It's a top 50, I know it's totally worthless to argue but hey..

IMO

ROTTR shouldn't be there. Tomb Raider 2 should.

MK2 should take MK's spot. MK was obliterated by its sequel.

Street Fighter 2 should be somewhere with Tekken 2 or VF2 to represent the 3D fighters.
Also, where the hell is Journey? Shadow of the Colossus??
What about the original Resident Evil or RE2?? I respect the fact that RE4 made it but RE is pretty much the father of horror games, even more when you read the reasons why Wolfenstein is in there... The Last of Us, no?
There should also be an arcade racer somewhere; at least Outrun or Top Gear or Burnout 3. And Sonic 2... And my personal pick SOTN.

It's a top 50, I know it's totally worthless to argue but hey..

IMO

ROTTR shouldn't be there. Tomb Raider 2 should.

MK2 should take MK's spot. MK was obliterated by its sequel.

Street Fighter 2 should be somewhere with Tekken 2 or VF2 to represent the 3D fighters.
Also, where the hell is Journey? Shadow of the Colossus??
What about the original Resident Evil or RE2?? I respect the fact that RE4 made it but RE is pretty much the father of horror games, even more when you read the reasons why Wolfenstein is in there... The Last of Us, no?
There should also be an arcade racer somewhere; at least Outrun or Top Gear or Burnout 3. And Sonic 2... And my personal pick SOTN.

I find the absence of Street Fighter II (Turbo) to be inexplicable. Should have been there instead of MK.

ArjanN

Why so much hate for ROTTR here?
It's best TR game in more than 10 years, i honestly don't see what's wrong with it. Game deserves to be on the list, maybe not in TOP 20, but there really isn't anything wrong with game being on the list. I repeat it's best TR game in more than 10 years and this is deserved.

It's a solid game with nice production values that makes sense in a top 50 of the year, but doesn't belong on a top 50 best games of all time list, not that the list makes much sense to begin with.

Entries like Oregon Trail and Angry Birds only make sense from an 'influential' point of view, not a quality one.

Same with King's Quest III really, because there's at least 10 better adventure games.

Mortal Kombat definitely isn't the best fighting game, and even if it was no one prefers MK1 over MK2.

And so forth.

It is as much as a contender as everything else. Why wouldn't it be?
Because you can't consider a game without considering its flaws and the Souls games have problems from technical and otherwise. It isn't enough to grade a game on what it wanted to do. 'The best game ever' mantra should be as close as you can get to a 'perfect game'. And that includes all aspect of the game. The same goes for any 'best ever' list. At least that's what I think.

That's quite a leap in logic. So just because TLOU is from the same studio that made a game (that's not even TLOU) that inspired Crystal to reboot TR, that means people can't prefer ROTR to TLOU (or even Uncharted)? What the fuck am I reading here?

"Besides the things I listed". So you agree that TR has better exploration? That was one of that poster's points. So why don't people discuss the merits of both games instead of posting stupid gif replies?

Ah, sure. Because it's ok for other people to ignore the OTHER half of the sentence, right?

The poster straight up dismissed TLOU as less impactful than ROTTR which obviously made no sense because, again, TLOU is one of the most critically acclaimed games of last gen that had a huge impact on Pop Culture and secondly, the ROTTR wouldn't be the way it is without ND making the Uncharted series that propelled TLOU to the status it has right now. If you want to take that as a leap in logic, fine. But that's like rewarding Playstation All Stars for being a standout title when Super Smash Brothers was the blueprint, even if you want to argue that "some" people think that PASBR has better gameplay than SSB.

It's asinine imo that ROTTR is even mentioned when it did not do anything different than the game that came before it which was the standout title that lead to it's success. It completely side steps the game that really started it all. Quality wise and story wise for a linear driven game, ROTTR is not better than TLOU...at all. That would be an opinion rather than a fact taking into consideration the reviews and how it's viewed in the large scope of the gaming community.

No one will be looking at ROTTR 10 years from now talking about how it blended great storytelling with gameplay etc etc etc, the way we constantly talk about TLOU. Shoot, we don't even do it now lol! Until it was mentioned on this list, it has ZERO impact after it's release. The point was, you can prefer it all you want, but to argue that it's more deserving on that list as the best of all time compared to TLOU...That's a leap. RE4 had more impact than ROTTR, which is enough for it to not even be in the same class.

Toad.T

Banned
To me, most top XX lists feel so similar. It's probably because they confuse/combine influential with best so often.

I'd like to see a top 10, 50 or even 100 list that's strictly quality based, without any thought of how a title impacted the industry.

The poster straight up dismissed TLOU as less impactful than ROTTR which obviously made no sense because, again, TLOU is one of the most critically acclaimed games of last gen that had a huge impact on Pop Culture and secondly, the ROTTR wouldn't be the way it is without ND making the Uncharted series

Talk about hyperbole. What impact did TLOU had on pop culture? And you don't know if ROTTR would be the way it is if it had came before the Uncharted series. Hell, the Uncharted series wouldn't be what it is without the influence of the first tomb raider games.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
was the only one to make me double-take. I haven't played it so can't judge but... yeah, it came as a surprise.

It's very good, but not top 50 of all time good. Pretty strange list.

I didn't look through the list for long but the one thing that stuck out to me was how Red Dead Redemption was only slightly better than Fallout 3 according to it.

AlJ8K.gif

wildfire

Banned
If that was true then you should have Half Life 1 instead of Half life 2, half life 1 had a much larger impact on the entire genre of fps games then HL2 did

That's the problem with all these lists that try to rank based off impact. They never stick to that for the entire list and then you end up with CoD2, Starcraft 2 and other games on here that make no sense in the context of the list.

You guys are really going to say Half Life 2 which went on to directly influencing how the Call of Duty series were made, which is the biggest console game franchise that isn't F2P, is less influential than Half Life 1? That is absurd.

Do you have any specific reasons you believe otherwise?

Top Bottom