• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: The 50 Best Video Games of All Time

I remember when Super Metroid used to get Top 5 no question. Actually, I'm kind of surprised it's not in their top 10 here considering they have SM64 and OoT.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Halo not Top 10 and CoD4 not there at all are also glaring errors.

Both games defined, influenced and dominated the FPS genre on consoles, a genre which is still arguably the most popular on the planet.

Edit. Jeebus fuck, no Street Fighter 2 or DAYTONA USA?!? Man this list is bad

Rival

Gold Member
The top ten wouldn't be my top ten but they are all fantastic games. Oregon trail being as high as it is is kinda sketchy though. Can anyone actually say with a straight face that it deserves that spot?

Davide

Bad list. Rise of the Tomb Raider and no Last Of Us, Uncharted, Witcher?

Fallout 3 was bad. Way too many old games. It's intended to look more at history and nostalgia more than actual quality though. Tetris at #1 is still stupid on any list.

Games that deserved to make it on the list...
-Super Mario Galaxy
-The Witcher 3
-Mass Effect 2
-The Last Of Us
-Dark Souls/Bloodborne
-Assassin's Creed II (maybe)

sono

This list is not the 50 best video games of all time, but the most popular perhaps.

Tetris as the all time best video game of all time ?

That is an insult to the very many talented game developers out there frankly

Bad list. Rise of the Tomb Raider and no Last Of Us, Uncharted, Witcher?

Fallout 3 was bad. Way too many old games. It's intended to look more at history and nostalgia more than actual quality though.

Games that deserved to make it on the list...
-Super Mario Galaxy
-The Witcher 3
-Mass Effect 2
-The Last Of Us
-Dark Souls/Bloodborne
-Assassin's Creed II (maybe)
Seriously, the Witcher series is important outside just US too. The Witcher 2 was even given to Obama by the Polish PM, Polish are crazy about that series, lol.

But yeah it's TIME's list so whatever. Still a terrible list :lol.

Davide

Seriously, the Witcher series is important outside just US too. The Witcher 2 was even given to Obama by the Polish PM, Polish are crazy about that series, lol.

Never heard about this before, that's pretty insane and awesome!

If the Olympics can be in Poland...

Really cool list. Being a gamer since pong I can't argue with most of it, though of course I'd personally change the order around.

But I have to say: Rise of the Tomb Raider should not be on the list, like at all. RoTR is pretty fun, but god damn, its nowhere near the heights of such storied company. Had to do a double take when I scrolled down to it. Thats just bonkers.

diggler41

My top 50 NBA players of all time

18. Joe Johnson

3. Wilt
2. MJ
1. Bill Russell

Entertaining read and thread. Seriously at that #18.

so are these the best video games of all time or the most important video games of all time, because a lot of these would belong on one list but not the other

Sanctuary

The Oregon Trail instead of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego in the top 10? #NotLikeThis.

The Oregon Trail was a literal trailblazer, and its first incarnation was in 1971. The Carmen Sandiego series didn't appear until fourteen years later.

The Oregon Trail found a captive—and willing—audience in thousands of classrooms across the country equipped with Apple II computers in the 1980s. There, it helped introduce an entire generation (several, in fact) to video games.

Also, for posterity and to keep up with the general trend of this thread: No Horizon: Zero Dawn, no Breath of the Wild, no FFVII remake and no God of War XI = shit list.

edit: Actually reading the synopsis on Mortal Kombat shows that it's on the list not because of its actual gameplay, but because of the controversy it stirred and how it supposedly paved the way for more "Mature" games.

Seriously? Forget about the lack of DMC -the game that founded the modern character action games- for a second, but no character action title at all?

They are completely ignoring the sub-genre? Really? smh.

so are these the best video games of all time or the most important video games of all time, because a lot of these would belong on one list but not the other
Whatever the criteria, whether it be breakthrough gameplay, popularity and sales, pop culture penetration, critical acclaim, lasting influence, etc., Rise of the Tomb Raider has no business being on the list.

Wanderer5

Lol at Rise of the Tomb Raider at #18. It was good, but it not even the best Tomb Raider game, let alone be one of the best games ever.

Also, "or explore optional booby-trapped tombs, each a study in the art of not repeating puzzles or level design."

Er not to say there weren't any good puzzles and design, but eeeeeeeeeh. Also I only remembered like one or two optional tombs that had traps (and only slow motion crap at that).:p

I can somewhat agree with the top ten....but holy shit at everything else. Nothing from Naughty Dog? RoTTR at number 18? No Witcher? I mean, I get opinions and all... but this list seems like they put some thought into the top 10, then just said "fuck it!" for everything else.

Sanctuary

Haha, sorry if this was already posted, but I didn't see it yet.

Destructoid on Time's Best 50 video games

Of course a "50 Greatest Games" list by a mainstream publication, then, will look like a stuffy, established literary canon (Tetris, #1!) pockmarked by the modern (Dota 2 #49, Angry Birds #48), with no real internal logic driving the thing. Greatest on its own merits (GoldenEye 007 is #22, Perfect Dark doesn't rank, Halo: Combat Evolved is #25)? Greatest for its cultural significance and progeny? This list isn't too concerned. Here's a paragraph on each, slightly longer than a Netflix plot synopsis.

Tetris is #1, but Pong is #40. Castlevania (#39) rates, but Symphony of the Night doesn't. No Metroid game makes it. The Legend of Zelda is #7, but Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 are numbers 3 and 2, which really just feels like pandering to those dang Me Me Me millenials.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the 18th greatest video game of all Time.

OF ALL TIME.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
*scrolling* "no dark souls? It must be really high on the list."

*still scrolling* "still no dark souls huh? wow maybe they didn't actually put it on here."

*scrolls past #18* "Rise of the tomb raider? Ok Dark Souls is definitely on the list lol"

*done scrolling* "Really? Rise of the Tomb Raider huh? Well alright!"

That's such a 'sore thumb' addition to the list, especially with some seemed omissions.

But of course, top x lists will always be missing something for each individual.

FLAguy954

Resident Evil 4 at #46 and NO SUPER METROID OR WITCHER 3?

The article's author:

2KsOo7t.gif

Wanderer5

MK instead of MK2?

SMB instead of SMB 3 or SMW?

LoZ instead of LttP?

This list is clearly about influence, not quality. And even then some titles are sorely missing (i.e. putting MK on there but no SF2).

Too bad the same can't be said with Tomb Raider lol.

Drangleic

Neo Member
rise of the tomb raider surely deserves to be ranked 18th on the top 50 casual games of all time... Specially if you compare it to the first TR in the nineties...

MK instead of MK2?

LoZ instead of LttP?

This list is clearly about influence, not quality. And even then some titles are sorely missing (i.e. putting MK on there but no SF2).

Not even about influence. No Ultima. Bioshock over System Shock. No Resident Evil 1. Then there's absolutely mind-boggling inclusions like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Starcraft 2, and Fallout 3.

It's like a guy who only plays modern AAA games listed down his favorites, and then googled "Important Games" and added the first ones he saw.

This is one of those "of course they choose this" lists

Most important games or something like that.

Yea influential for it's time and games with huge mindshare (despite having ages terribly gameplay wise etc.) aren't my idea of "best" tbh. Arguably best for their time might also be a stretch.

Having said that many of these I agree with.

Soodanim

Only read the top 10 in the OP and none of the discussion, because there's one shining thought in my kind:

What the fuck is The Oregon Trail? How can a game I've never heard of be in a TIME magazine top 100?

Hoo-doo

Banned
IDK I think TLOU is good and all, but it just has some good dialogue and story. Even comparing with something like ROTTR, Tomb Raider has way, way, way better gameplay and exploration elements. I dont think TLOU will be that well remembered a few years from now, maybe some people and magazines will forget about it.

TLOU is one of those games that will be remembered a decade from now, whether you like it or not.

On the other hand, RotTR was basically forgotten a month after it launched. What a dumb thing to say.

Seeing that it's Time, I knew that the Witcher franchise would not have a place on the list but fucking ROTTR? Also no Souls series?

Trash list is trash. Should have avoided this trash site like I have always done in the past. Oh well.

Budi

Only read the top 10 in the OP and none of the discussion, because there's one shining thought in my kind:

What the fuck is The Oregon Trail? How can a game I've never heard of be in a TIME magazine top 100?

I don't know, maybe you are just young? Or you don't know about game history much? It's not the articles fault that you haven't heard of Oregon Trail, it's on you.

Balb

MK instead of MK2?

LoZ instead of LttP?

The list is definitely safe and kind of dull but SMB1 is still an amazing game to this day that deserves to be high on the list.

64bitbros

I don't know, maybe you are just young? Or you don't know about game history much? It's not the articles fault that you haven't heard of Oregon Trail, it's on you.

But this list is pretty selective in its gaming game history. I'm an old geezer, and i am missing A LOT of old titles that could be seen as important in games history. Populous? Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder? The Sentinel? Wizzbal? Sensible Soccer/Kick off 2? MGS? Wing Commander? Descent? Elite? Ultima? I could go on. These are all games that made a mark in gaming history and have been in top 10's 20-30 years back.Before the internet there was only magazine's and i bought a ton of those. Never did i see Oregon's Trail this high in a top 10-20-50-100 list.

Top Bottom