• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, lots of screeches and roars used in movies and games come from public domain stock recordings.

Some of them are still just modified animal calls or sounds made for nature reels like 60 years ago. That roar for Angilla and Dragyon is probably some kind of exotic bird call that got deepened or slowed down.

I just finished Half Life 1 completely for the first time (I know LTTP). Most of the alien noises sound like they came straight from Sea World audio clips.

jaxword

RockXLight said:
Exactly. He killed them all by waking the Wind Fish.

So what does that mean in regards to The Ocean King Oshus, who was ALSO a gigantic magical whale who had his own island world separate from the reality?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jaded Alyx said:
I just had a huge WTF moment while playing Mass Effect 2. I arrived at the Captain's cabin for the first time and messed around with the Sound System.

The very last tune you can listen to is from Need For Speed: High Stakes.

Man, I miss true Need For Speed...

Oh shiiiiiiiiii....

OMG Aero said:
You can't really kill something that doesn't exist to begin with.

1kill
Pronunciation: \ˈkil\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, perhaps from Old English *cyllan; akin to Old English cwellan to kill — more at quell
Date: 14th century

transitive verb 1 a : to deprive of life : cause the death of b (1) : to slaughter (as a hog) for food (2) : to convert a food animal into (a kind of meat) by slaughtering
2 a : to put an end to [/i]

Gee, you're right. Link certainly didn't put an end to the world that the Wind Fish dreamed up.

Dream or not, there was a tangible element to the world of Koholint because Link himself went there--as a living, breathing part of Koholint island. If it wasn't *real* to a certain extent, and Link was only part of the Wind Fish's dream world, Link probably wouldn't remember Marin after waking up, since Marin is only a figment of the Wind Fish's imagination (IIRC, he does remember her since he sees her in seagull form at the end of the game).

Amalthea

Banned
OMG Aero said:
You can't really kill something that doesn't exist to begin with.

What if the whole universe is just the dream of a sleeping being (some would surely call it god), whose mind is capable of simulating a complete reality with lifeforms that are sentient and self-conscious. What if that being once will wake up? :D

FoxSpirit

bjork said:
I'm blown away by the fact that glitches count on speedruns. Most recently:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?CastlevaniaDoS_NewGamePlus_hard_409

Yes, glitching is a valid method in speedruns. Though you can decide to make a non glitched run if the glitches skip too much of the game. Sometimes glitches are also very hard to do and not used until the record is extremely tight. This only applies to manual runs, of course.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Tyrant_Onion said:
What if the whole universe is just the dream of a sleeping being (some would surely call it god), whose mind is capable of simulating a complete reality with lifeforms that are sentient and self-conscious. What if that being once will wake up? :D
Then you disappear and your girlfriend goes on a quest to revive you

Odrion said:
A Phoenix Down is a Phoenix's feather. A down is another word for a feather

Yeah, I'd always facepalm at people who tried to say that it was a mistranslation of 'tail feathers' because they're at the bottom of the bird, hence 'down'.

Mak

Bear said:
From what I understand, the thief is the only NPC in any Zelda game that can be killed by the player.

Didn't know about the third option, neat.

Actually, Link could destroy dogs in Link's Awakening with the magic rod.
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/8872

(Also: Link's Awakening was a dream, the people weren't real! :p Link had been drifting at sea the whole time since in the ending, you see that his arm is still wrapped up in the rope on the mast of his ship from the opening. Both the Windfish and Link were dreaming.)
laisadream.gif

snoopers said:
Nice tatoo.

xDGfvvxMe.jpg
Seeing this made me notice something in another Clover game...
943732_97129_front.jpg

No, not the IGN watermark, above that.
The Trademark symbol next to the I, I can't believe how long I was blind to that

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, lots of screeches and roars used in movies and games come from public domain stock recordings.
This probably explains why I associate the Starfox 64 Andross with Mr.Blobby...the same public domain noises...

mclem

Starwolf_UK said:
This probably explains why I associate the Starfox 64 Andross with Mr.Blobby...the same public domain noises...

I thought Mr Blobby actually had a heavily vocoder'ed real voice?

Sagitario

Starwolf_UK said:
Seeing this made me notice something in another Clover game...
943732_97129_front.jpg

No, not the IGN watermark, above that.
The Trademark symbol next to the I, I can't believe how long I was blind to that

Good one, I never noticed...

Choppasmith said:
So, for Mega Man 3 players out there.

You probably know about the secret tricks you can do with Controller 2.

You may or may not know Proto Man's Ending theme is longer than what you actually hear in game.

Now did you know you can "Freeze" the game to hear the full theme in-game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_e7nlvzwCw

:D

Even if the trick isn't common knowledge, I think virtually every Mega Man fan has heard Proto Man's extended theme.

Mak

Choppasmith said:
So, for Mega Man 3 players out there.

You probably know about the secret tricks you can do with Controller 2.

You may or may not know Proto Man's Ending theme is longer than what you actually hear in game.

Didn't know you could pause it, but I've only beaten MM3 once.

Related to that, when you encounter Proto Man during a stage and pause just as you scroll to his room, his tune will play twice and fade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cek18oiktuM

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
ME 2 spoilers .. I dunno if it was mentioned before ?

Najaf said:
Did anyone notice that the color of the sun behind the Illusive man at the end of the game is made up of the proportions of your paragon and renegade points? The more paragon you were, the more blue the sun is and vice versa.

pretty awesome if true :D

Was posted in some Pokemon thread, but it belongs to be here too...

In the Japanese anime, Ash is named Satoshi, and your rival Gary is named Shigeru...

Pokemon was created by Satoshi Tajiri
And we all know who Shigeru Miyamoto

The two were friends durring the development, and Miyamoto helped Tajiri pitch the idea to Nintendo.

Not really mind blowing, but in Golgo 13 for the NES you could regain health by having sex with female operatives similar to how your health is restored in GTA by having sex with a hooker.

My mind was blown today when I found out Nintendo added the option to draw in rainbow colors in Pictochat with a DSi. I mean, it's the first time I've used it since 2004.

reetva

Banned
Guardian Bob said:
Was posted in some Pokemon thread, but it belongs to be here too...

In the Japanese anime, Ash is named Satoshi, and your rival Gary is named Shigeru...

Pokemon was created by Satoshi Tajiri
And we all know who Shigeru Miyamoto

The two were friends durring the development, and Miyamoto helped Tajiri pitch the idea to Nintendo.
Satoshi said that that's why the protagonist is always one step behind Gary/Shigeru. Though in the end you beat Shigeru. That's a pretty big deal mixed message. :lol

IrishNinja

GillianSeed79 said:
Not really mind blowing, but in Golgo 13 for the NES you could regain health by having sex with female operatives similar to how your health is restored in GTA by having sex with a hooker.

it was a one-time event, unlike the cigarettes, as i recall. still got that cart laying around, its a classic that breaks like every rule nintendo had back then.

Also, i'm sure this has been posted, but for the Naughty Dog game Rings of Power on the Genesis there's a code that will replace the game's start up logo with a topless woman.

FoxHimself said:
My mind was blown today when I found out Nintendo added the option to draw in rainbow colors in Pictochat with a DSi. I mean, it's the first time I've used it since 2004.

The strangest thing of all is that the rainbow colours actually show up on an original DS/DSL if you pictochat between DSis and the original DS, meaning that the original DS has had color support all along but Nintendo didn't let you use it for some reason!

Cow Mengde said:
You want a mind-blowing Nintendo secret? I'll give you a mind-blowing secret. Nintendo stole (or maybe they just got permission and we didn't know) sound effect straight from Godzilla.

Let me direct your attention to the Draygon battle video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcemRrXqCbE#t=0m38s

Now listen to THIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y95a5tkzY-0#t=0m18s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBEtpfxHpy4#t=1m00s

Draygon's roar is 100% without a doubt Angillas's roar. It's not similar, it is his roar.

I also recall that sound being in the SNES port of Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers in Fei Long's stage.

Can't find a video of it though. I could be wrong.

Edit: found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjElbEh_B84

5:02

voltron

Sciz said:
As seen earlier in the thread (though I'm not sure exactly where, so GAF > Internet > GAF):

2n8d99l.jpg

I am an intelligent person and this makes no fucking sense to me.

Its just a piss-take yeah?

deleted

EmCeeGramr said:

Some of them are still just modified animal calls or sounds made for nature reels like 60 years ago. That roar for Angilla and Dragyon is probably some kind of exotic bird call that got deepened or slowed down.

That explains why I hear the squeaky metal door sound from Half Life 2 in nearly every movie...

voltron

wRATH2x said:
Well maybe you're not that intelligent.

At least now I know.

Now if it isnt a joke someone please explain it to me. BTW if it changes anyone's opinion of me being a dumbass one reason I wasnt sure about it was because of one of the subsequent posts on p70.

jaxword

voltron said:
At least now I know.

Now if it isnt a joke someone please explain it to me. BTW if it changes anyone's opinion of me being a dumbass one reason I wasnt sure about it was because of one of the subsequent posts on p70.

I have a honest question, how old were you when Mario 3 came out?

Tf53

voltron said:
At least now I know.

Did you realize that p70 means post 70?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
This is a non VG fact, but whatever.

Put "Find Chuck Norris" on Google and press "I'm feeling lucky".

If old, well.. I'll be damned.

Top Bottom