• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

bjork

bernardobri said:
This is a non VG fact, but whatever.

Put "Find Chuck Norris" on Google and press "I'm feeling lucky".

If old, well.. I'll be damned.

29vjs50.png

Ramma2

bernardobri said:

That's awesome, took me a few seconds to deduce that it wasn't an actual google page.

Koren

Ramma2 said:
That's awesome, took me a few seconds to deduce that it wasn't an actual google page.
There's dozens (if not hundreds) of falsified google research results... It's your first?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb

More evil than Satan himself was going to Microsoft, Dumb Motherfucker to Bush related merchandises, miserable failyre its biography, weapons of mass destruction returns a fake 404-not found, French military victories to "No document match the query. Did you mean French military defeats?", "asshole of the internet" in French was bringing french president homepage, etc.

Wichu

This isn't really mindblowing, but still quite neat. I read a few pages back (OK, a lot of pages back) that the SSBM theme was similar to the Zelda Dark World theme and SM64 Bowser level theme. But that's not all. Listening to the various Super Smash Bros. themes, you can hear bits from loads of different Nintendo games; for example, the Super Metroid theme has the same rhythm, and a similar melody. Melee's Final Destination theme has sections from, for example, Star Fox 64's opening. Melee's opening theme (and some other one I can't remember) have a bit very similar to a melody from the Kirby's Adventure Butter Building theme. There are definitely more Nintendo themes hidden in the Smash Bros. music I missed.

voltron said:
Now if it isnt a joke someone please explain it to me.
Ok now I want to go back to this again. What exactly are you asking to be explained? It does seem like the image explains itself pretty directly. But I do suppose if you haven't even played the game it would be harder to get.

jaxword

SuperAngelo64 said:
Don't do the age thing, Junior...

Haha, did you really say "Junior" as a pejorative? Is this high school?

Besides, I wanted to know how old he was when he first saw the curtain rise, because then it'd be understandable if you were too young to get the stage reference at the time.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Subliminal said:
This is GAF and you sir are a second class citizen.

You know folks that have acted like this have regretted it.
There's an infectious tag for folks that act smarmy to juniors!
:lol

Hopefully the ever watching eyes above are turned in your favour.

bjork

Red Scarlet said:
Place has been a shell of its former self for about 4 years now.

Seems so. I can understand things like sequence breaks where you use an in-game item or action to skip sections, like shinesparks or certain abilities in Castlevanias, but some of these glitches are just ridiculous. Like the Ducktales one on the moon.

Koren

bjork said:
Seems so. I can understand things like sequence breaks where you use an in-game item or action to skip sections, like shinesparks or certain abilities in Castlevanias, but some of these glitches are just ridiculous.
I'm not sure I understand what is the glitch/exploit you're talking about in the video?

Dani said:
You know folks that have acted like this have regretted it.
There's an infectious tag for folks that act smarmy to juniors!
:lol

Hopefully the ever watching eyes above are turned in your favour.

That was actually my first time calling out a junior. I'm usually against the kind of arrogance... but.. 'tit for tat' in this case. Retro-gaming elitism is starting to really grind my gears lately.

So whatever.

bjork

Koren said:
I'm not sure I understand what is the glitch/exploit you're talking about in the video?

In which?

In the DS Castlevania one, look at the part 2 video. He goes "in" the walls with a glitch that tricks the game, then when he resumes his game he can warp right to the end. Can't be something intentionally programmed.

In the Ducktales one the guy does something similar, but remains in the same stage, just further along.

oracrest

I am sure plenty of people knew this, or understood it originally, but "Phoenix Down" in Final Fantasy refers to down as the feather, like a down comforter full of goose down. I discovered this through listening to giant bombcast.

I always thought the "down" conveyed it's ability to resurrect a dead player. It blew my mind.

phoenix_down.jpg

Magnus

oracrest said:
I am sure plenty of people knew this, or understood it originally, but "Phoenix Down" in Final Fantasy refers to down as the feather, like a down comforter full of goose down. I discovered this through listening to giant bombcast.

I always thought the "down" conveyed it's ability to resurrect a dead player. It blew my mind.

phoenix_down.jpg

I perceived the word "down" the way you did when the item was listed as "Fenix Down" in Final Fantasy III on the SNES. At the age of 10, I think I just thought Fenix was a word I didn't know the meaning of, or that it was an invented but acceptable word in the world of FF. :lol I'd pronounce it as "Fennicks down", not realizing what fenix was supposed to be a mangled version of.

As soon as I saw it corrected to Phoenix in a later FF, I was like, "oh, down are the feathers." FU FF3's text character limit! :lol

oracrest said:

phoenix_down.jpg
kinda like "tango down" in shooters.

mclem

This is so simple, that I'm surprised I can't find it mentioned before; perhaps it's well-known, and I've just missed it, but a friend just stumbled on this by accident, and I can't believe it's not deliberate; it's a remarkable coincidence if not.

Rot13 is quite a popular basic spoilering and (extremely simple) encryption tool; quite simply, each letter of the alphabet in the phrase you're changing is replaced with the one 13 letters ahead, so a->n, b->o and so on. http://www.rot13.org/ is a convenient way to do the conversion on-the-fly.

In Mass Effect, Wrex is a popular character. He's grumpy and a bit of a pain in the ass, but that's why a lot of people like him.

Try ROT13ing Wrex.

Gomu Gomu

mclem said:
This is so simple, that I'm surprised I can't find it mentioned before; perhaps it's well-known, and I've just missed it, but a friend just stumbled on this by accident, and I can't believe it's not deliberate; it's a remarkable coincidence if not.

Rot13 is quite a popular basic spoilering and (extremely simple) encryption tool; quite simply, each letter of the alphabet in the phrase you're changing is replaced with the one 13 letters ahead, so a->n, b->o and so on. http://www.rot13.org/ is a convenient way to do the conversion on-the-fly.

In Mass Effect, Wrex is a popular character. He's grumpy and a bit of a pain in the ass, but that's why a lot of people like him.

Try ROT13ing Wrex.
Oh my :lol :lol

grkazan12

bernardobri said:

Mind blown, it's weird up until now I've never heard of the google bomb, anyways pretty.

BlakeofT

Here's a neat Pokemon fact: On each of these three devices, 20 steps earns you 1 watt. The reason it's like this is because, on average, you burn 1 calorie per 20 steps.
pika.png
1_pokemonpikachu.jpg
Pokewalker.jpg

Listening to those roars from last page again, I actually think they might be elephants. This isn't that rare, actually. The famous Alien screech when they get shot is actually... a young elephant trumpeting.

Anyway, another thing which was probably brought up in this thread before, but SEARCH LOLZ. Playing Rondo on VC reminded me of this.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
That phrase is commonly misattributed (it supposedly comes from an aphorism used in the psychiatric community) to French writer and statesman Andre Malraux. The original saying amongst psychiatrists was, "Man is what he hides, a wretched little pile of secrets." Malraux responded to this with, "Man is what he achieves."

However, the phrase "Un miserable petit tas de secrets" lived on in Malraux's name, where it eventually ended up in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

So now you know, that phrase isn't awkwardly thought-up script writing or Engrish on Konami's part.

Top Bottom