• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Willeth

Myriadis said:
Oh,and btw...am I the only one that thinks "Ash Ketchum" = "Ash Catch 'em"?:D
This reminds me of something. You know how the theme of colours runs through the towns in the original Pokémon series - Cerulean, Fuchsia, Vermilion, etc? And the professors are named after woods - Oak, Elm, Birch and so forth.

Professor Oak's grandson is called Gary. There is a species of oak tree called the Garry Oak.

CryptiK

Willeth said:
This reminds me of something. You know how the theme of colours runs through the towns in the original Pokémon series - Cerulean, Fuchsia, Vermilion, etc? And the professors are names after woods - Oak, Elm, Birch and so forth.

Professor Oak's grandson is called Gary. There is a species of oak tree called the Garry Oak.
Gary Oak is Sudowoodo Confirmed

ITA84

Willeth said:
This reminds me of something. You know how the theme of colours runs through the towns in the original Pokémon series - Cerulean, Fuchsia, Vermilion, etc? And the professors are named after woods - Oak, Elm, Birch and so forth.

In the Japanese version, if I remember correctly, he's called Shigeru (like Miyamoto), which can also mean 'to grow', 'to be in full leaf'. Side note: Oak in the Japanese version is called Oukido, presumably 'orchid'.

CryptiK

completely stupid I know but: I see Dugtrio in the third pic

2n8d99l.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would you kids calm down with the Pokemon trivia? I have no idea what you're talking about :lol

Blutonium

This is probably posted 20 times/common knowledge...it was news to me though.

Originally, Nintendo was a playing card company. Among the licenses they held was Popeye the Sailor, which was owned by King Features.

In 1981, Nintendo made one of those cheap pocket games starring Popeye, and planned to release a more elaborate one for the arcades. A first-time designer named Shigeru Miyamoto was assigned to the project and began sketching game concepts involving the classic Popeye/Olive Oyl/Bluto threesome.

After one of those concepts was approved, Miyamoto found out that King Features had denied Nintendo the rights to bring Popeye to the arcades. The characters were suddenly off limits to Nintendo, but Miyamoto went ahead with the game anyway - keeping the threesome, but arbitrarily replacing Popeye with a plumber, Olive with a princess and Bluto with an ape.

Source: http://www.cracked.com/article_18530_5-pop-culture-classics-created-out-laziness.html

BocoDragon

That story doesn't really make sense.. Popeye the Nintendo arcade game exists. The home port was a Famicom launch title and made it over the the NES too.

If the story was that Popeye 2 became Donkey Kong maybe it'd have the possibility of being true..

Mario wasn't a plumber at that time (he was a carpenter), Pauline isn't a princess (if she's a princess, I'm the Duke of Edinburgh), but yeah, it was originally a Popeye game according to Miyamoto himself.

BocoDragon said:
That story doesn't really make sense.. Popeye the Nintendo arcade game exists. The home port was a Famicom launch title and made it over the the NES too.

If the story was that Popeye 2 became Donkey Kong maybe it'd have the possibility of being true..
They sorted out the rights with King Features after Donkey Kong came out and Miyamoto used one of his other designs for that game.

BocoDragon

Yeah wiki says the same thing now that I check..

I guess Nintendo was determined to get that Popeye license, and they did score it AFTER Donkey Kong.

DK came out in 1981
Popeye came out in 1982

BocoDragon

I wonder if Popeye was a success even in it's own time. Obviously with hindsight we tend to think the Popeye license was an unecessary footnote compared to what would later be Nintendo's giants.. But I wonder if it was a success by 1982 standards?

BocoDragon said:
I wonder if Popeye was a success even in it's own time. Obviously with hindsight we tend to think the Popeye license was an unecessary footnote compared to what would later be Nintendo's giants.. But I wonder if it was a success by 1982 standards?
It was. It was no Donkey Kong but the arcade machine was quite successful and the NES port did okay.

wRATH2x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I remember playing that game a lot, bu that was just me and my cousins in the year 1994. So I wouldn't know.
Segata Sanshiro said:
It was. It was no Donkey Kong but the arcade machine was quite successful and the NES port did okay.
Thats good to hear

BocoDragon

Can anyone think of any other Nintendo license games?

They probably published Rare's GoldenEye..

.. I bet you could even count the number of sports star endorsements on one hand... Mike Tyson, Ken Griffey... Um...

BocoDragon

Princess Skittles said:
Hamtaro! :3
Yup!

Hmm.. There are so few.

On the other hand, if we were talking Sega licensed games the list would be massive.

BocoDragon said:

.. I bet you could even count the number of sports star endorsements on one hand... Mike Tyson, Ken Griffey... Um...
The only other notables would be Spartan X/Kung Fu and a handful of Disney and Star Wars games, I'd think.

and the Jump Stars games and some other Japan-only stuff like Eyeshield and NHK Quiz games.

BocoDragon

Segata Sanshiro said:
The only other notables would be Spartan X/Kung Fu and a handful of Disney and Star Wars games, I'd think.

and the Jump Stars games and some other Japan-only stuff like Eyeshield and NHK Quiz games.
Those are pretty interesting examples.. Spartan X was Irem in Japan and really had no licence when Nintendo published it here as Kung Fu.. But I appreciate your attention to detail.

And I guess by Star Wars you mean Shadiws of the Empire and the Rogue Squadron games.. Which had LucasArts as a middleman.. but I suppose Nintendo did publish them. Then again.. They also published games like Megaman 6 and Street Fighter Alpha 2 by the same standards :p

and Disney... Uh... That Rare Mickey Mouse racing game?

Anyway Nintendo clearly goes it alone most of the time. I feel like Popeye was the only time they actually sought out a license.. And it makes sense, since it was in the era before they had established their own line of properties.

BocoDragon said:
Those are pretty interesting examples.. Spartan X was Irem in Japan and really had no licence when Nintendo published it here as Kung Fu.. But I appreciate your attention to detail.

And I guess by Star Wars you mean Shadiws of the Empire and the Rogue Squadron games.. Which had LucasArts as a middleman.. but I suppose Nintendo did publish them. Then again.. They also published games like Megaman 6 and Street Fighter Alpha 2 by the same standards :p

and Disney... Uh... That Rare Mickey Mouse racing game?

Anyway Nintendo clearly goes it alone most of the time. I feel like Popeye was the only time they actually sought out a license.. And it makes sense, since it was in the era before they had established their own line of properties.
Nintendo published the Famicom version of Spartan X. Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, one of the Pod Racing games, and the Rogue games. Disney, Mickey Speedway USA, Magic Mirror, and an assortment of GB/GBA titles.

It sounds like you're actually asking about Nintendo-developed licensed games, which would be limited to Popeye and Popeye alone. Chalk it up to thinking they needed it to break out at the time followed by quickly finding out they didn't need anyone or anything, an attitude that persists to this day.

BocoDragon

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nintendo published the Famicom version of Spartan X. Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, one of the Pod Racing games, and the Rogue games. Disney, Mickey Speedway USA, Magic Mirror, and an assortment of GB/GBA titles.

It sounds like you're actually asking about Nintendo-developed licensed games, which would be limited to Popeye and Popeye alone. Chalk it up to thinking they needed it to break out at the time followed by quickly finding out they didn't need anyone or anything, an attitude that persists to this day.
I always found it fascinating that Sega was the complete opposite...If it suits them, they'll use Disney, Batman, Warner Bros, Marvel, Muchael Jackson, The Offspring, Rob Zombie, KFC.... Etc :p

They'll even develop and publish other game companies properties.. Ninja Gaiden, Strider, Ghouls n Ghosts, Megaman... Etc.

karobit

BocoDragon said:
They'll even develop and publish other game companies properties.. Ninja Gaiden, Strider, Ghouls n Ghosts, Megaman... Etc.

Weren't those to get around exclusivity agreements that those 3rd parties had with Nintendo? Konami/Capcom/etc couldn't develop the license for another console, but they could sublicense it to another developer (in this case, Sega itself)?

junker said:
Sure about that?
23jmj4y.jpg
uh. yes.

the man in the mural does not have the same red face paint markings as dhalsim, nor do i see any evidence of a skull necklace around his neck. in fact it appears the man in the mural may be wearing some kind of robe.

so...what exactly were you trying to prove?

mclem

BocoDragon said:

Depends on how exactly you regard a 'licensed game'; "Frisbee" is officially licensed in Wii Sports Resort, and Wave Race 64 made quite a bit of use of the Kawasaki license; while the games weren't built around the license themselves, they did make use of them heavily.

Xux

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Wonder Kitchen is literally one giant advertisement for Aijinomoto Mayonnaise

EDIT: Should also add that it's Nintendo-developed... I think.

Reminds me of Pikmin 2, sort of, and all the random trash you get with name brands on them.

jaypah

Andrex said:
Spin jump?

spin jump?

yeah, spin jump. the one where you spin around. i'm not trying to be funny but i've seen people blank out before and forget that there was a spin jump that lets you bounce off of thing that you normally couldn't jump on.... kind of like you were using Yoshi.

For those wondering, the Donkey Kong/Popeye thing has been 100% confirmed by Miyamoto himself. In fact, he discussed the subject with Iwata a few months ago prior to the launch of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol1_page1.jsp

Iwata: So that was the big turning point in your development as a game designer?

Miyamoto: Right. And it was then that, having rigorously analyzed what exactly made people want to play one more time, I sketched out ideas for five games. At this point, Nintendo was the licensee for Popeye.

Iwata: Yes, the company was releasing Popeye playing cards and Popeye Game & Watch titles.

Miyamoto: That's why at first I asked if I could make a game using Popeye. The basic concept of Popeye is that there is the hero and his rival who he manages to turn the tables on with the aid of spinach.

Iwata: When you put it like that, it's the same as Pac-Man, isn't it? (laughs)

Miyamoto: Yes, it's identical to Pac-Man! (laughs) So I sketched out a few ideas for games using Popeye. At that point, Yokoi-san was good enough to bring these ideas to the President's attention and in the end one of the ideas received official approval. Yokoi-san thought that designers would become necessary members of development teams in order to make games in the future. And that's how Donkey Kong came about.

Iwata: But originally it was going to be a Popeye game.

Miyamoto: That's right. But while I can't recall exactly why it was, we were unable to use Popeye in that title. It really felt like the ladder had been pulled out from under us, so to speak.

Iwata: So even though you were making a game about climbing ladders, you had the ladder pulled out from beneath you before you even got started! (laughs)

Miyamoto: Great gag! You deserve a standing ovation for that one! (laughs) Anyway, at the time we were at a loss as to how to proceed. Then we thought: "Why not come up with our own original character?"

Iwata: So basically Donkey Kong and Mario came about once the ladder had been pulled out from beneath you.

Miyamoto: Exactly.

Iwata: Miyamoto-san, you really do lead a charmed life!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the girl who played Winnie on The Wonder Years guest starred in an episode of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. Was just watching this on Netflix and was surprised to see her. Looks like this was in 1989, during the second season of The Wonder Years.

98g4gw.png

wondermega

That Popeye/Mario connection is news to me.. pretty wild. I wonder if, in an alternate universe, millions of gamers are getting psyched to play Super Popeye Galaxy 2..

..and people mourn the quality of Sega's current-gen Krazy Kat games.

Top Bottom