• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Myriadis

I don't know how well it's known,because I was never that interested in Pokemon.It's also not a big mind-blower.But then again we had Biggoron,so...

Ash Ketchum.
Ketchum = "Catch 'Em".

Myriadis said:
I don't know how well it's known,because I was never that interested in Pokemon.It's also not a big mind-blower.But then again we had Biggoron,so...

Ash Ketchum.
Ketchum = "Catch 'Em".
...and now I must kill everyone in the room.

bjork

I really want to go through this thread, take the actual mindblowing things, make a new thread with them all in the OP, and have it be bannable for people to go "hey pac man came from the creator looking at a pizza" or whatever.

stilgar

bjork said:
I really want to go through this thread, take the actual mindblowing things, make a new thread with them all in the OP, and have it be bannable for people to go "hey pac man came from the creator looking at a pizza" or whatever.

Something can be mindblowing for you, anecdotal for me, obvious for others. So no.

Oli

Myriadis said:

Ash Ketchum.
Ketchum = "Catch 'Em".

If we're gonna do that, then we might as well note that K. Rool from the DKC series is meant to be "Cruel", and K. Lumsy is "Clumsy" etc.

Also, Ash's name always reminded me of Ketchup when I saw it.

bjork

stilgar said:
Something can be mindblowing for you, anecdotal for me, obvious for others. So no.

Winnie Cooper on the SMB show shouldn't be considered mindblowing under anyone's definition of that word.

Haunted

Oli said:
If we're gonna do that, then we might as well note that K. Rool from the DKC series is meant to be "Cruel", and K. Lumsy is "Clumsy" etc.
oh shi-

First Biggoron, now this.

Interesting to note how easy it is to overlook extremely obvious stuff like this when you play these games in another language.
plus I'm stupid

Myriadis

Oli said:

Rare games are full of it.
Don't forget two possible Answers in the Quiz in Banjo-Kazooie,which are "W.Anchor" and "M.Bates".
While we're on this topic,the mechanical shark in the third level of Banjo-Kazooie is really a Clanker.:lol

Just noticed that there were a girl face in NieR's manual look at the bottom of the pic :

Nier-2011.jpg

(Moreover some magic skills show for one or two frames a lion head, very hard to notice, the same that NieR has on his back (can be seen in that pic), and the same that is on one of the twohanded swords.)

This sword I think :

http://www.play3-live.com/screens/nier/ps3-nier-1244206678-2.jpg

selig

Banned
Myriadis said:

Ash Ketchum.
Ketchum = "Catch 'Em".

0_o

omg

selig

Banned
i dont know if it really fits this topic, but...it just occured to me that the wiimote+nunchuck design nintendo is using for the wii now, is basically a modern n64 controller...broken in half (or thirds, with the left third being gone).

The nunchuck has the exact identical feel of holding a gun-trigger in your hand, with the analog-stick directly on top of it. The wiimote has the buttons, the d-pad being like the c-buttons.

well, could be nothing, but i always love the n64-controller, so it´s a nice touch imo.

selig said:
i dont know if it really fits this topic, but...it just occured to me that the wiimote+nunchuck design nintendo is using for the wii now, is basically a modern n64 controller...broken in half (or thirds, with the left third being gone).

The nunchuck has the exact identical feel of holding a gun-trigger in your hand, with the analog-stick directly on top of it. The wiimote has the buttons, the d-pad being like the c-buttons.

well, could be nothing, but i always love the n64-controller, so it´s a nice touch imo.

The nunchuck is basically the middle prong of the N64 controller. That's why its awesome :D

Diablohead said:
Because owning Pokemon #151 is more exciting then owning Pokemon #150, mew was a hidden secret pokemon at the time.

Did they ever say why they left out Mew in the US version? I remember reading somewhere after you collect all 150 pokemon in the JP versions, you go back to whatever city and the dude who usually gives you a diploma or something, gives you Mew.

bjork said:
and ban anyone who finds anything in pokemon to be "secret", "hidden" , or "clever".

EG: HAY GUIZ< KETCHUM MEANS CATCH'EM I NEVER NOTICED THAT TILL NOW

Most LOK fans probably know this one, but here goes:

In Blood Omen, Vorador gives the fledgling Kain his Signet Ring (made of bone and blood). He hands it over with the words "It would be such a pity to lose you to The Abyss". Kain uses it to summon Vorador's aid later in the game:

vlcsnap-8785126.jpg
vlcsnap-8773674.jpg
vlcsnap-8775409.jpg
vlcsnap-8774013.jpg

vordoring.jpg

Thousands of years later in Soul Reaver, the same Signet Ring is being used by Lord Kain as an earing on his left ear.

kintrob1028.jpg

Interestingly, we first see it in recognisable detail as Kain's son is losing himself to The Abyss. Its an interesting visual reminder of Vorador's warning.

The ring is a nice little detail, never mentioned in the games, that some might not have picked up on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
riceandbeans said:
Did they ever say why they left out Mew in the US version? I remember reading somewhere after you collect all 150 pokemon in the JP versions, you go back to whatever city and the dude who usually gives you a diploma or something, gives you Mew.

No, it was event-always for every region. NA just never got the event.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Andrex said:
No, it was event-always for every region. NA just never got the event.
It was given out at TRU in North America and by other distributors in other regions. There were no in-game methods to catch event Pokemon back then like there are now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
It was given out at TRU in North America and by other distributors in other regions. There were no in-game methods to catch event Pokemon back then like there are now.

For RBY? I'm pretty sure there was no legitimate way to get Mew in those games.

vid

Andrex said:

There were a couple of different events. I know there was at least one Nintendo Power sweepstakes, and I very clearly remember there being a Black Friday event at TRU one year where you could get a Mew if you were lucky enough to get a winning card.

I never won, though. :(

Andrex said:

There was an event in the UK as well. I remember the weird machines they had that looked like it had a Super Famicom inside running some sort of software from a Super Game Boy. Pretty cool actually :D

They had upcoming games being showed off there too that you could play. Like Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Pinball, which weren't yet out here at the time.

elektrixx

Banned
I sent my Pokemon Yellow cartridge to Nintendo Australia. The next week: BAM! A Mew in my party! I was the first guy in primary school to have Mew, and it was that ace up my sleeve that let me do that duplicating trade trick with everyone at school constantly until I filled my pokedex.

Good times.

NoRéN

chase said:
Stop talking about Pokemon. Fuck.
25 minutes later...

elektrixxx said:
I sent my Pokemon Yellow cartridge to Nintendo Australia. The next week: BAM! A Mew in my party! I was the first guy in primary school to have Mew, and it was that ace up my sleeve that let me do that duplicating trade trick with everyone at school constantly until I filled my pokedex.

Good times.
:lol

There were some glitches to get a 'legit' (as in not GameShark) Mew in Red & Blue, but they were found so far afterwards it mainly went under the radar as a "Haha thats cool." thing.

Certainly not as big a deal as it would have been back then "ZOMG ZOMG MEW ZOMG" etc.

The proper way was from Nintendo events, sadly things like that never happened here in NZ so I had to hax to complete 151.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Conrad Link said:
There were some glitches to get a 'legit' (as in not GameShark) Mew in Red & Blue, but they were found so far afterwards it mainly went under the radar as a "Haha thats cool." thing.

Certainly not as big a deal as it would have been back then "ZOMG ZOMG MEW ZOMG" etc.

The proper way was from Nintendo events, sadly things like that never happened here in NZ so I had to hax to complete 151.
Yeah, apparently the glitch for Gen I surfaced in 2003 but after years of fake tricks and with sequels already released most people just didn't care anymore.

According to Ken Sugimori, Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed. It was also the first one programmed into the Generation 1 titles.

Remember the icon used for all generic Pokemon and the league statues?

2hr0kf6.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EmCeeGramr said:
According to Ken Sugimori, Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever designed. It was also the first one programmed into the Generation 1 titles.

2hr0kf6.jpg
holy shit.

Kurtofan

EmCeeGramr said:

2hr0kf6.jpg
Wow,mind blown.

EmCeeGramr said:

2hr0kf6.jpg
I heard he was the #1 pokemon in the code so it fits, another pokemon fact for this thread :lol

Just want to add something I only just discovered about Sonic Adventure 1

The monkey badniks in this game throw bombs at you which blow up after a few seconds but I never realised you could PICK THE BOMBS UP to throw back :lol as I was pretty sure touching them blew them up, guess my memory is wrong since I always avoid the bombs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6To5Y7ZdNc#t=03m09s

I am sure some other badniks throw these bombs at some point later in the game too, I need to try it on my dreamcast copy.

IceMarker

Diablohead said:
Just want to add something I only just discovered about Sonic Adventure 1

The monkey badniks in this game throw bombs at you which blow up after a few seconds but I never realised you could PICK THE BOMBS UP to throw back :lol as I was pretty sure touching them blew them up, guess my memory is wrong since I always avoid the bombs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6To5Y7ZdNc#t=03m09s

I am sure some other badniks throw these bombs at some point later in the game too, I need to try it on my dreamcast copy.
Cool! Did not know that!

EmCeeGramr said:

2hr0kf6.jpg
I loved using the fishing rod on those things.

EmCeeGramr said:

2hr0kf6.jpg

OK I knew about Rhydon being the 1st pokemon that was designed, but I never thought about this being the reason why it was the most common generic pokemon icon. Makes perfect sense :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
chase said:
Stop talking about Pokemon. Fuck.
Most of this stuff isn't interesting... it's just that these people were five when they first played it so everything blows their mind :/

Top Bottom