• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Xav

ITA84 said:
I think I once read that the RR game code was like 3-4 MB.
PlayStation 1 has like 2MB RAM if I remember so Ridge Racer must be that or less. I think the Ridge Racer file size might be the bigger mind blowing fact here.

Ridge Racer was great because of that, you could boot the game and play it all night without the actual cd in the playstation, I use to do that with a friends copy.

Kulock said:
Mario's Ladder was great. Nice art, too.

Here's something about TF2 that caught me earlier today. I don't know if Spies still do this in-game, they might (or it may have been patched out since), but Valve can be the master of the subtle touch at times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1qU4ld6aw

Spies disguised as other classes have a tell with their eyes. They generally keep them wider, and stare at the player instead of looking where the spy's looking.
Not that I will see faces that often but that is a real nice touch if intended, clever.

Gravijah

Diablohead said:
Ridge Racer was great because of that, you could boot the game and play it all night without the actual cd in the playstation, I use to do that with a friends copy.

Whoa whoa whoa, you damn pirate!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Xav said:
PlayStation 1 has like 2MB RAM if I remember so Ridge Racer must be that or less. I think the Ridge Racer file size might be the bigger mind blowing fact here.

Yeah, that's... pretty amazing actually. So, aside from the music, the whole game is loaded into memory? Makes me think the models where programmed rather than loaded into memory.

Forkball

Miyamoto wanted to implement Yoshi ever since the original Super Mario Bros., but couldn't due to the limitations of the NES. An early sketch:

Yoshi-concept.png

Also, Ikue Otani, the voice of Pikachu, voiced Yoshi in a Mario anime.

Forkball said:
Miyamoto wanted to implement Yoshi ever since the original Super Mario Bros., but couldn't due to the limitations of the NES. An early sketch:

Yoshi-concept.png

This one was mentioned 'way back in the thread, and I think it was disputed, too, but I'm too lazy to go find it. No worries, though; thread is too damn huge.

Has anyone mentioned the Firefly/Serenity characters in Halo ODST? I'm sure people riding the hype train didn't get a shock, buy MY mind was blown when I played it a few weeks after launch. I knew next to nothing about the game and was completely taken by surprise. I actually recognized their voices before the (not so great) character models' similarities hit me.

LiquidMetal14 said:
The file size small though.

And other PS1 titles allowed the swap trick I believe.

The story data from FF7 was on all 3 discs. I had a dodgy Disc 2, so after starting the game with that disc, I switched to disc 1 or 3. All the events, dialog and game is in there - only it plays the wrong FMV when you get to a cutscene. It's entirely possible to complete the game using only Disc 1, if you don't count the actual initial checking of the game discs.

jaxword

Leondexter said:
This one was mentioned 'way back in the thread, and I think it was disputed, too, but I'm too lazy to go find it. No worries, though; thread is too damn huge.

I doubt it was Mario 1 where he wanted it, but I can accept probably Mario 3. Or even 2, really.

Leondexter said:

Disputed, why? It's mentioned in the Mario Mania guide by Nintendo Power, with that very picture, if memory serves correctly. I guess you could argue when during the NES era, but he still wanted it before he could pull it off.

It stuck in my mind, so it surprised me back then to see Yoshi for the NES does include Mario riding Yoshi, but on otherwise empty cinema screen. And of course Mario is Missing...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kulock said:
Disputed, why? It's mentioned in the Mario Mania guide by Nintendo Power, with that very picture, if memory serves correctly. I guess you could argue when during the NES era, but he still wanted it before he could pull it off.
Also you gotta love how Mario Mania included Miyamoto's musing that perhaps someday in the future Mario would wear metallic clothes.. which he did in Mario 64 :D

I have no doubt that Miyamoto had the concept of Mario riding a dinosaur in SMB1. It might not have been a "technical" limitation that he wasn't included until SMW... but just a game design one. You really have to design a game from the ground up to accommodate something like that.

Leondexter said:

Has anyone mentioned the Firefly/Serenity characters in Halo ODST? I'm sure people riding the hype train didn't get a shock, buy MY mind was blown when I played it a few weeks after launch. I knew next to nothing about the game and was completely taken by surprise. I actually recognized their voices before the (not so great) character models' similarities hit me.

Nathan Fillion was the only one whose likeness is in the game and only in ODST. The others just lent their voices.

MNC

Kulock said:

Here's something about TF2 that caught me earlier today. I don't know if Spies still do this in-game, they might (or it may have been patched out since), but Valve can be the master of the subtle touch at times:

Spies disguised as other classes have a tell with their eyes. They generally keep them wider, and stare at the player instead of looking where the spy's looking.
That's fucking amazing. If this wasn't intended, Spies would've just gotten the regular scout player model or something. And the eyes really DO look like the spy's :lol

mclem

LiquidMetal14 said:
The file size small though.

And other PS1 titles allowed the swap trick I believe.

Well, yes. If they could load the entire game into RAM in one go, as many early ones did, they no longer needed the CD; and on top of that, they'd stream the ingame music as redbook audio, so swapping the CD just changed their input source.

Edit: Bah, slow.

Kurtofan

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
If you didn't already realize this just from playing DKC2 itself then the only thing you need to blow your mind with is a shotgun
I didn't die enough time to realize it :p
But yeah I feel ashamed,the music is so good and I did the game at least 6 times :lol

Bentendo

Leondexter said:

Whoever disputed it didn't know what they were talking about. It was in Nintendo Power's Mario Mania guide which accompanied an interview with Miyamoto. Chris Kohler also confirmed its existence to be true.

Diablohead said:
I remember discovering this, it worked with the 60fps version of RR1 that followed along Ridge Racer Type 4 too, Ridge Racer Hi-Spec. That even had updated car models and textures I believe.

Kulock said:

That is amazing. It won't make much difference during the actual game, but the fact that they put it in there is just great.

jdogmoney

Android18a said:
I just remembered this one after trying it in SMG2 and it not working. This is probably well known, but I discovered it by accident as a kid and it served me well for the 100-coin challenges.

In Super Mario 64, if you run around any of the stompable wooden stumps (such as the four in Bob-Omb's Battlefield) a few times, five coins come flying out.

I don't remember seeing this in a manual, and the internet was still something not many people had back in '96/97 so I'm not sure how well known this was.

Did you punch butterflies?

I punched butterflies.

Pumpkins

Kulock said:

That's a nice find, I never knew about that.

Cubituss

Neo Member
In Call of Duty 3 there was a short polish campaign starring a hero named Bohater. "Bohater" means "hero" in polish. And there is no such name in our language. I remember literally falling off the couch when I saw an ingame character turn towards the screen and say "Isn't that right, Bohater?".

Probably someone left "Bohater" as a placeholder for the dialogue recordings.

Amir0x

Banned
Forkball said:

Yoshi-concept.png

Looks like a Chocobo invaded Mario!

BowieZ

Banned
Yoshi-concept.png

I always thought this image portrayed Yoshi standing tall and also bending forward, but it looks like the creature bending forward is a separate drawing with a small body and some sort of anvil-shaped wing.

BowieZ said:
I always thought this image portrayed Yoshi standing tall and also bending forward, but it looks like the creature bending forward is a separate drawing with a small body and some sort of anvil-shaped wing.
Not quite(I think), look at it again, the red version is obviously what changed into the actual yoshi.

redyoshi.jpg
blueyoshi.jpg

samusx

Banned
If you ask me its just a blend/compromise on the design ideas.

Firstly it seems that they wanted a dinosaur type design so they went with the basic head and long neck design. But for pixel tile design/game play purposes you can see why they would go with a taller vertical choice rather than a wider horizontal design.

It seems from the drawing that they had flying ideas in mind. I think they made a compromise by adding those abilities to the Yoshi character through him eating various colours of koopa shells. This solves a gameplay problem of the Yoshi character becoming too powerful in one level and making following levels too easy. By the power-ups being limited in the way that they are the level designers can offer the player the ability, and then have it be taken away at the end of a level without the player feeling ripped off.

All together smart choices I would say.

Cubituss

Neo Member
Pikelet said:
More likely they didn't expect anyone to notice.

Calling your hero "Hero" on purpose, while there are thousands of polish names at the internets? Come on :)

On the side note, good thing that CoD3 didn't have polish subtitles. "Hero, you lead the way!" LOL.

Xav said:
I thought I read somewhere that Ridge Racer is actually only like 512 kilobytes total.

For comparison, Kirby's Adventure on the NES is also 512 kb.

Erigu

Cubituss said:
Calling your hero "Hero" on purpose, while there are thousands of polish names at the internets? Come on :)
Don't overestimate video game writers. Heck, Mortal Kombat did it with "Shujinko".
Besides, what's the alternative? Why would they use the Polish word for "hero" as a placeholder? Are the developers Polish?

Wichu

BowieZ said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Yoshi-concept.png[IMG]

I always thought this image portrayed Yoshi standing tall and also bending forward, but it looks like the creature bending forward is a separate drawing with a small body and some sort of anvil-shaped wing.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2vs0079.png

Mind blown?

Mak

Kulock said:

Yeah, that's from the Mario Mania Player's Guide from 1991. They were trying to put in Yoshi since they finished Super Mario Bros.
http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/theman/interviews/0561.shtml

Miyamoto: We usually have lots of ideas that we haven't been able to implement yet. A good example is Yoshi the dinosaur who just appeared in Super Mario World. We wanted to have Mario ride a dinosaur ever since we finished the original Super Mario Bros., but it was impossible technically. We were finally able to get Yoshi off the drawing boards with the Super NES.

In a recent Iwata Asks it was explained that the powerups of Super Mario Bros. 3 came about because they couldn't put Yoshi into the game.
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol2_page7.jsp

Cubituss

Neo Member
Erigu said:
Don't overestimate video game writers. Heck, Mortal Kombat did it with "Shujinko".

And what does that mean?

Besides, what's the alternative? Why would they use the Polish word for "hero" as a placeholder? Are the developers Polish?

Point taken, no they are not. My guess is the dialogues were originally written in polish (with a placeholder name for Hero) and later someone decided to replace the original lines with english vocals. I can't think of ANY other reason why the protagonist would be called Hero.

Well, at least his name is not TBD.

Top Bottom