• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

fisheyes

Count me in with group that didn't know about the Green tomatoes (are they really supposed to be apples, by the way?) increased the timer. And the music thing is really cool too

Gravijah

MAtgS said:
1279556681516.jpg

i hate you get out of here

viewtiful_dru said:
In Super Mario World, the green apples increase the time on the clock. When the clock read less than 100 seconds, the music gets faster.

So you can let the timer decrease to 99 seconds then eat a green apple, then wait for it to decrease again and the music will get even faster. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHcfGYVHpnI
wat is this i dont even...

Come on, I have played through SMW like 900 times (and I am not even kidding) and I haven't noticed that green apples increase time

Cheerilee

Mxylptlk said:
My mind was actually blown three times. Yoshi can get wings?!?
Green Yoshi is the basic Yoshi with no special powers (although he can use colored shell powers).
A green Koopa shell is a basic shell with no special powers (although it can trigger colored Yoshi powers).

If Yoshi eats a red shell, he can spit fireballs if he spits the shell out before he swallows it.
If Yoshi eats a yellow shell, he will get a "ground pound" effect until he either swallows the shell or spits it out.
If Yoshi eats a blue shell, he will get wings and be able to fly until he spits or swallows.

A red Yoshi gets the fireball-spitting effect anytime he eats any Koopa shell. If he eats a yellow or blue shell, he gets ground pound or wings in addition to the fireballs.
A yellow Yoshi gets the ground pound effect with any color shell, in addition to the shell's own color effect.
A blue Yoshi gets wings with any color, in addition to whatever the shell color gives him.

If you spit out the shell before Yoshi swallows it, you can pick it back up again to continue it's effect. You can't do this with red Yoshi or red shells though, because you spit fireballs, not the original shell. This makes blue and yellow Yoshi's the finest Yoshi's overall in Super Mario World, because you can combine and abuse the blue and yellow powers across entire boards. Red Yoshi can fly and ground pound briefly if you get him the right shell, but it never lasts long as the shells are consumed by his fireballs.

Blue (awesome) + Yellow (awesome) = Green (lame)

Also, Yoshi is a member of the Koopa family. That's not a saddle on his back. It's a spiny's shell with no spikes.

viewtiful_dru said:
In Super Mario World, the green apples increase the time on the clock. When the clock read less than 100 seconds, the music gets faster.

So you can let the timer decrease to 99 seconds then eat a green apple, then wait for it to decrease again and the music will get even faster. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHcfGYVHpnI
For some reason, this is so much more "holy shit" than cloudbush.

I wonder why they decided to make Yoshi's arms orange on the in-game sprite (the one on that canvas is a later edited version), when the original SMW art didn't reflect that? Added definition is all I can guess, but Yoshi hardly moves his arms in SMW.

YoshiArms.gif

Left is Super Mario World, right is Super Mario Advance 2, the GBA port.

Alastor

That's probably old, but...

I just found out that Leon S. Kennedy and the famous merchant from Resident Evil 4 both have the same voice actor, Paul Mercier. Awesome.

mclem

lljride said:
I thought they were stirrups or something, never noticed they were arms.

To be fair, if you saw them when they were orange, they look a lot more like they're associated with the saddle ( / shell ) than with Yoshi himself.

I used to think they were stirrups too. But Mario's feet don't move with them, and there's some sprites where they're more obviously hands than others. I eventually figured it out pausing on a weird frame as a kid, and spending the next ten or so minutes pausing and unpausing, and squinting at my blurry old tube TV.

smwmarioandyoshi.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is kinda old, don't think this is in this thread:

Persona 4-GAF reference:

wslb3n.jpg

Muppet345 said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Here's an interesting twist on this thread:

Go to YouTube.com on a computer.
Watch any video.
Pause the video.
Hold in the Left Arrow key on your keyboard.
Play Snake.

Forkball

ULTROS! said:
This is kinda old, don't think this is in this thread:

Persona 4-GAF reference:

wslb3n.jpg
That's not from GAF, it's from Gamefaqs. Someone on GAF just copied it.

The only true GAF gaming reference is in Scribblenauts.

Marvie_3

Banned
Dacvak said:

Watch any video.
Pause the video.
Play Snake.
Holy fuck. :lol :lol :lol :lol

rvy

Banned
Forkball said:

Wasn't there something in Psychonauts too?

Dacvak said:

Watch any video.
Pause the video.
Play Snake.
lol wtf, how did I never find this before it seems so easy to activate :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Forkball said:

I thought there was a shoutout in the credits of some games...

Top Bottom