• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Not mind blowing but dumb on my part, it only occurred to me during the first level of the game that Alan wake is a play on Awake.

I felt stupid as it should have been obvious to me but it fit in with the theme of the first level at least lol.

Now I know how some people miss seemingly obvious ones

Posted this in the Metroid Prime Trilogy topic, but it's pretty neat, so I'll post it here too:

In Metroid Prime 3, you can listen to hidden audio messages from various Nintendo employees, including Shigeru Miyamoto and Satoru Iwata. They're all in Japanese though and there are no subtitles, unfortunately. Although Kenji Yamamoto (a composer for Nintendo) plays the guitar and whistles a bit of the Metroid Prime 1 menu theme.

Xater

I hope this is not old. Thee is some interesting stuff about Super Mario Bros. that can be found here: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_j-e.shtml

For example this effect is missing in the US version so you can play faster:

World 3 is Japan with the castle where Nintendo HQ is:

And then there is also this change:

And more. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe it was posted before, but the Gruntilda's Lair music from Banjo-Kazooie is actually very similar to an old song from the 30s, Teddy's Bear Picnic.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Probably not true, but interesting anyways.
XdQ6g.png

Also this:
doOLg.jpg

TUSR

Banned
SpacLock said:
Was posted in another thread by someone else, but I don't remember who.

You could play with dual analog controls in Goldeneye for N64 by hooking up two controllers.

Controller 1:

B Button: Action
A Button: Fire
Start Button: Pause
Z Trigger: Aim
Control Stick Up/Down: Move
Control Stick Left/Right: Turn

Controller 2:

B Button: Action
A Button: Fire
Start Button: Pause
Z Trigger: Fire
Control Stick Up/Down: Look
Control Stick Left/Right: Strafe

Other control styles.

Fuckin miracles!
This can be done in PD too can it not? Thought this was well known

Kurtofan

Bisnic said:
Maybe it was posted before, but the Gruntilda's Lair music from Banjo-Kazooie is actually very similar to an old song from the 30s, Teddy's Bear Picnic.
Holy shit I just checked,mind blown!

TheYanger

Squire Felix said:
This can be done in PD too can it not? Thought this was well known

It is, but that's what this thread has mostly devolved into :/ Shit that is in the manual or options screen is now 'mind blowing' to some people apparantly.

Bisnic said:

Speaking of Rare Music, I just KNOW that DKC2 Map Music is taken from something, like a classical piece, but ugh I can't place it.

Gravijah

Jasoco said:
It doesn't work. I tried it in both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Classics. I can't go down the ladder. Only up. Citation and proof needed.

Using vnes, I can confirm it works.

2q37hw0.png

Took a bunch of tries, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
InfiniteNine said:
http://imgur.com/XdQ6g.png[/IMG
Also this:
[IMG]http://imgur.com/doOLg.jpg
Well, since Giovanni is Silver's Father... Yeah, that seems pretty logical.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Also, looking at that woman's hips, I guess we can confirm that Giovanni is an ass man.
Team rocket is now the best pokemon villian group by an even wider margin than five minutes ago.

MAtgS

The reason Fawful hired Midbuss?
pork & beans

& while we're on the subject of poke'mon villains...
Mars_DPPt.png

Possible older sister? Come to think of it Rocket & Galactic are both space themed names, their uniforms are black & white respectively, both are without leaders at the moment & we still haven't learned who the bad guys of Poke'mon Black Version & White Version are yet. Hmmm......

MAtgS said:
The reason Fawful hired Midbuss?
pork & beans

& while we're on the subject of poke'mon villains...
Mars_DPPt.png

Possible older sister? Come to think of it Rocket & Galactic are both space themed names, their uniforms are black & white respectively, both are without leaders at the moment & we still haven't learned who the bad guys of Poke'mon Black Version & White Version are yet. Hmmm......
2ro3rtj.jpg

Gravijah

Jasoco said:
So it's one of those "Might work, but not always" things? What triggers it?

I started going through some of the other videos to help figure it out, you basically have to hit down on the dpad when Mario is on the left side of the ladder. It took quite a few tries to do, but I might just suck.

This has probably been mentioned already (and most people probably had some idea), and the facts are very fuzzy, different sources say different things, but either way:

The Warhammer Warcraft relation

Blizzard had been in negotiations with games Workshop to make a Warhammer game. For whatever reasons, the deal fell through, Blizzard modified a few things and released Warcraft

TheOGB

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Kanto war[IMG]
Also this:
[IMG]Silver's mom[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=MAtgS][IMG]Team Galactic chick[IMG]
Possible older sister?[/QUOTE]
HOLY FUCK, THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
viewtiful_dru said:
In Super Mario World, the green apples increase the time on the clock. When the clock read less than 100 seconds, the music gets faster.

So you can let the timer decrease to 99 seconds then eat a green apple, then wait for it to decrease again and the music will get even faster. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHcfGYVHpnI

This game is HOW old and STILL showing me new things. Amazing.

Azure J

viewtiful_dru said:
In Super Mario World, the green apples increase the time on the clock. When the clock read less than 100 seconds, the music gets faster.

So you can let the timer decrease to 99 seconds then eat a green apple, then wait for it to decrease again and the music will get even faster. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHcfGYVHpnI

I knew about the apples thing and sorta discovered the whole "music going crazy fast thing" when I played SMW a few years ago, but I thought I was fucking crazy at the time. Nice to see it's confirmed, now excuse me while I go FUUUUUUU in the corner now.

Top Bottom