• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Mael

Gameboy415 said:
Found this on Digit Press:

281am8l.jpg

You can control the ducks in Duck Hunt!

Sure wish I knew about this 26 years ago! :lol

WHAT.THE.HELL!!!!

Gameboy415 said:

Oh yeah, I remember that now. I think you could only influence their flight direction, it wasn't exactly 1:1 control.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
yeah the Duck Hunt bit is real. My brother and I used to cheat to get high scores by putting them in the corner and nailin em all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sunflower said:
yeah the Duck Hunt bit is real. My brother and I used to cheat to get high scores by putting them in the corner and nailin em all.
I thought everyone did this.

It's been a long time since anything in this thread actually surprised me, but with the Duck Hunt revelation my mind is officially blown.

jaxword

Another revelation about Duck Hunt: You can move the gun close and just shoot the white duck icons at the bottom and get the kill.

ElFly

anonymousAversa said:
they invaded bro

So we can't credit him with making a really devious stage anyway (which was the original point).

e: oh come on people. If it was in the manual it shouldn't be mind blowing.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Always read your manuals people. :p

I always do, that is why I knew about this also. I remember my sister wanting to play the game and I grab the 2nd controller when she wasn't looking and I try to make it so hard for her to get a duck, good old times. :lol

Nose Master

Gameboy415 said:

I thought this was common knowledge... my brother used to fuck with me with the second player controller all the time when I was a kid :lol

G-Fex

Watching a certain movie yesterday got me to think about a certain ninja named Rain from Mortal Kombat and his color.

It's not a coincidence. It's a very deliberate reference to one of the highest selling albums of all-time.

Rain in Mortal Kombat is purple. Purple Rain. Prince. Went Platinum 13 times.

UFRA

Gameboy415 said:

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind blown. This thread delivers x1,000,000

G-Fex

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's not a coincidence. It's a very deliberate reference to one of the highest selling albums of all-time.

Very cool then.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Screw you internet! Controlling ducks in Duck Hunt is NOT some hardcore "mindblowing" secret.... you mofos just missed out on common knowledge back in the day. It was in the manual.

Did you know you can run in Super Mario Bros by holding B? Whoa MINDBLOWNZ.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Oh damn, how did I not get this :lol

Chris R

Squire Felix said:
Tool Assisted Speed runs are not impressive...
I disagree. Seeing just how broken some games are is fun to watch. Of course, a proper speedrun is much better, but TAS Glitch runs are entertaining.

G-Fex

BocoDragon said:
Screw you internet! Controlling ducks in Duck Hunt is NOT some hardcore "mindblowing" secret.... you mofos just missed out on common knowledge back in the day. It was in the manual.

Or that if you held down the attack button in Bad Dudes you can do a energy attack?

rhfb said:
I disagree. Seeing just how broken some games are is fun to watch. Of course, a proper speedrun is much better, but TAS Glitch runs are entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvY1MNF26-w&feature=fvw

I love this Item Abuse land TAS. Just the fact that hack is impossible to play in real time then seeing them do it tool assisted is interesting and pretty damned awesome. Human skills are truly not enough.

G-Fex said:
Or that if you held down the attack button in Bad Dudes you can do a energy attack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvY1MNF26-w&feature=fvw

I love this Item Abuse land TAS. Just the fact that hack is impossible to play in real time then seeing them do it tool assisted is interesting and pretty damned awesome. Human skills are truly not enough.
One of my favorite gaming videos ever. Mario titles are just too much for a mere man to play.

Gameboy415

BocoDragon said:

I actually didn't until one of my Dad's friends showed me how! :lol

I guess I never read manuals as a kid...

Platy

my guess is that most people didn't even knew how to read when they first played those nes games ... and when they learned they already lost/destroyed/didn't care for the manuals ... or at least that was what happened to me xD

Clipper

I do wonder how many people here know about Super Mario Bros. method to continue from the start of the world you died in when you held A when pushing start...

I must admit, it did take me quite a few playthroughs to figure out what Princess Toadstool (not Peach yet :p) meant when saying to push B to select a world in the second quest, though.

Sixfortyfive

Clipper said:
I do wonder how many people here know about Super Mario Bros. method to continue from the start of the world you died in when you held A when pushing start...
I didn't know about that until a few years ago, actually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Clipper said:

I must admit, it did take me quite a few playthroughs to figure out what Princess Toadstool (not Peach yet :p) meant when saying to push B to select a world in the second quest, though.

What's what now?

Is this the first SMB? You hold B when?

Clipper

Andrex said:
What's what now?

Is this the first SMB? You hold B when?
Yes, first SMB for NES. First, you need to beat the game once. Then, when you are at the title screen, you can push B to select the world that you start on. Each time you push B, the world number at the top of screen increments.

Sixfortyfive

In Super Mario Bros, you can:

- continue from the start of the world you lost on by holding A+Start at the title screen
- select your starting level for the second quest by pushing B.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That A thing will come in handy.

Clipper said:
Yes, first SMB for NES. First, you need to beat the game once. Then, when you are at the title screen, you can push B to select the world that you start on. Each time you push B, the world number at the top of screen increments.

Ahh OK. I've never gotten that far. Really should download it off the VC now that I've beaten SMB3 and am going through SMW (for the 80th time, btw.)

Clipper

Here's another one that I've never been really sure about, but have found cool.

Most people know of SMB's "Minus World" accessible by a glitch in 1-2, but that's not what I call it. Here's some images to refresh everyone's memory:
Smbminusworld.jpg
250px-Min.png

Now, it's not really a negative world number, it's really Level 1 of the world with a character that looks like a space (apparently the value of the character is 36). This is like how 2-1 is the first level of the second world.

When I first noticed this, I started to call it Space World instead of Minus World, then something occurred to me... is this the origin of SpaceWorld, the English name for Nintendo's own conference that they used to run? I've never seen any real etymology of the conference name, so I don't know if this is true, and it could all be coincidence. However, I always find it fun to think that's why it was named that way and that everybody who calls it the Minus World is wrong :D.

I doubt it, but I wonder if it'll blow anyone's mind to know that the Minus World is different in the Japanese FDS version?

http://themushroomkingdom.net/bugs/1 said:
In the Famicom Disk System version of SMB, the Minus World is a swimming version of World 1-3, with gray enemies, pink platforms, and a floating Bowser. At the end, if you touch the flagpole too high, you'll float over the castle door and won't clear the level. Touch it about halfway down to be safe, and you'll drop right into the door, taking you to World -2! World -2 is exactly like World 7-3, except beating the level takes you to -3. World -3 is like 4-4, except it's not a maze, there's no Bowser at the end, and the graphics are blue instead of gray. After you touch the axe at the end, you are thanked as usual, but the Mushroom Retainer is not there. Press B, and you are taken to the title screen, where you can keep pressing B to choose a World, exactly as if you had just beaten the game.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2i-QOsBpw
Swimming Bowser.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ I've heard it has something to do with the way the data is stored on a disk, as opposed to a cart. Minus World is definitely a glitch, and the data structure affects how the glitch works.

GaussTek

Clipper said:
Here's another one that I've never been really sure about, but have found cool.

Most people know of SMB's "Minus World" accessible by a glitch in 1-2, but that's not what I call it. Here's some images to refresh everyone's memory:

Now, it's not really a negative world number, it's really Level 1 of the world with a character that looks like a space (apparently the value of the character is 36). This is like how 2-1 is the first level of the second world.

When I first noticed this, I started to call it Space World instead of Minus World, then something occurred to me... is this the origin of SpaceWorld, the English name for Nintendo's own conference that they used to run? I've never seen any real etymology of the conference name, so I don't know if this is true, and it could all be coincidence. However, I always find it fun to think that's why it was named that way and that everybody who calls it the Minus World is wrong :D.

Man! Never thought about the Minus World like that. So it's really World "Space"-1. That makes sense.

About the SpaceWorld thingy, I also doubt, but knowing Ninty wouldn't be surprised if that really was the origin :lol

Top Bottom