• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Mak

Kulock said:
I doubt it, but I wonder if it'll blow anyone's mind to know that the Minus World is different in the Japanese FDS version?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2i-QOsBpw
Swimming Bowser.

I forgot there was a FDS version of SMB.

The underwater swimming on a normal stage and the floating bloopers from the minus world must have been inspiration for World 9 of Super Mario Bros. 2 (JPN) and the floating bloopers in that game.

supermariobros2jpn9-2.gif

Speaking of Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUoCa_Yl_o

What the hell, there are four Warp Whistles in Mario 3? The fourth only accessible in the Japanese release?

Super Mario Wiki seems to confirm it:

World 5-1 (Japanese Version)

In the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros 3, when you go through the pipe at the end of the level, you will come out at the ending, with a wall behind you. If you are a raccoon, fly up the wall until you get to the top. Once there, you will here a sound like the one played when a treasure chest appears. Now, come down! When you go to the ending, there is another flashing item on the ground(5 UP and warp whistle.) If you time it right, you will hit the warp whistle with your tail. Then, after you hit the roulette box, there is a treasure chest that appears. When you run into it, you will acquire either a 5 UP or a fourth and final warp whistle.

I imagine this is common knowledge, but I sure in hell didn't know it.

Mama Robotnik said:
Speaking of Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUoCa_Yl_o

What the hell, there are four Warp Whistles in Mario 3? The fourth only accessible in the Japanese release?

Super Mario Wiki seems to confirm it:

I imagine this is common knowledge, but I sure in hell didn't know it.

TMK lists it as a glitch, but it looks kind of intentional to me. Since it doesn't function exactly like it does in the World 1 Fortress, you have to hit that extra object, and have a chance at a 5up.

hank_tree

Maybe this has been mentioned before but the full game of Final Fantasy VII is on all 3 discs. The only thing that differs is the CG movies. So if you load up the game on disc and then swap in disc 2/3 you will see random CG movies from those discs whenever a CG movie is played.

The 4th whistle trick was changed in the US/PAL release I think, they removed the need to warp to the end of the stage and just allowed you to progress like normal, removing the wall and removing the trick to find another whistle.

GatorBait

Clipper said:
I do wonder how many people here know about Super Mario Bros. method to continue from the start of the world you died in when you held A when pushing start...

WHAT?!?!

Damn...beating the game would've been so much easier when I was younger if I knew this. :lol

Sixfortyfive said:
In Super Mario Bros, you can:

- continue from the start of the world you lost on by holding A+Start at the title screen
- select your starting level for the second quest by pushing B.
Ok seriously I never knew this, always started from the beginning every time...

I knew about finishing the game = level select so I only feel half shocked :lol

I've got one. In the original Ridge racer the backwards speach in the track Rare Hero (I think thats the one) is just the in game announcers phrases played backwards.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Probably old as fuck and has been posted several times in this thread but in Dead Space
If you take the first letter of each chapter it spells NICOLE IS DEAD

Just read it right now and it fucking blew my mind.

G-Fex

Cool little thing from Cracked.com

I just never put it together, supposedly Super Mario was inspired by Alice in Wonderland.

You + Mushroom makes you tall. I can't believe I never got that.

elektrixx

Banned
The Twilight Princess thread reminded me of this one.

In the Wii version of TP, I remember there being one or two instances of characters shaking hands in cutscenes. Because the game was mirrored, they shook hands with the wrong hands.

There was something else I noticed while playing that was wrong in cutscenes because it was mirrored, but I can't remember it now.

Pancho said:
Probably old as fuck and has been posted several times in this thread but in Dead Space
If you take the first letter of each chapter it spells NICOLE IS DEAD

Just read it right now and it fucking blew my mind.

Wow. This is fucking awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
elektrixxx said:
The Twilight Princess thread reminded me of this one.

In the Wii version of TP, I remember there being one or two instances of characters shaking hands in cutscenes. Because the game was mirrored, they shook hands with the wrong hands.

There was something else I noticed while playing that was wrong in cutscenes because it was mirrored, but I can't remember it now.

The cutscenes are mirrored along with the game. The Wii version is consistent in the hand shaking.

G-Fex

Choppasmith said:
MegaManJumpSprite_normal.jpg

Mega Man has an exclamation point on his forehead

Yeah I know they're panels to absorb solar energy, but I just can't unsee it.

Oh so that's why his name is Dr. Light.

Damn goody two shoes.

Video game handshakes have always bothered me

They're usually one hand in another hand and then an up and down motion

That kind of handshake would convince everyone that you were mild-mannered and weak.

ShockingAlberto said:
Video game handshakes have always bothered me

They're usually one hand in another hand and then an up and down motion

That kind of handshake would convince everyone that you were mild-mannered and weak.
Wellllll I don't want to be culturally insensitive or anything but a lot of games are made by Japanese and they are the masters of the deadfish handshake.

G-Fex said:

I just never put it together, supposedly Super Mario was inspired by Alice in Wonderland.

That's actually not true.

Miyamoto said:
Some time ago I was being interviewed and I spoke about Alice in Wonderland. But it seems there was some misunderstanding and it's since been stated that I was influenced by Alice in Wonderland. That isn't the case. It's just that there has always somehow been a relationship between mushrooms and magical realms. That's why I decided that Mario would need a mushroom to become Super Mario.
Source: Iwata Asks: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Gameboy415

G-Fex said:

This may be common knowledge to a lot of people here, but on a somewhat related note Donkey Kong was originally designed as a Popeye game. Nintendo lost the license to use the Popeye characters in its games and replaced them with what became some of gaming's biggest icons.

DK = Bluto
Pauline = Olive Oyl
Jumpman/Mario = Popeye

Gomu Gomu

All About the PlayStation 1's Design
"The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that's what I wanted."

Before you ask, in case you didn't know, the circle meaning "yes" is a Japanese thing (most functions in a Japanese game performed by it), whereas over here, we contradict this by predominantly using the X button, which despite intended to mean "no" is in a more logical position for Western gamers (who associate the bottom button as the "main" one).
Mind Blown. It all makes sense now.

Well here's something interesting. From one of the first issues of NP in '89

Apparently Lt. Worf kicked Ganon's ass. Now where do you think Ganondorf comes from?

30j2std.jpg

kai3345

Banned
The name of the world in Dragon Age, Thedas, is an acronym originally used on the official forums to refer to the at the time un-named setting. It stands for The Dragon Age Setting, or TheDAS.

iidesuyo said:
The Japanese version of Sonic 1 was improved compared to the EU/US version.

It had

- moving clouds in Green Hill
- underwater effects in Labyrinth zone
- more parallax layers in some levels
- spike bug removed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2oro0p-m0&translated=1

Mind blowing? To me it was when I first played the JP version on the Mega Collection :D
I am fairly sure that the spike bug was not removed in the Japanese original version, it was changed in some mega collection back in 2003 or whenever it came out. That youtube user there is playing the rom ripped from the collection.

Plus it's not a bug it was intentional, sonic 1 code shows that spikes always caused instant damage even when flashing in the original builds. Personally I like it but a lot of people bitch.

Diablohead said:
I am fairly sure that the spike bug was not removed in the Japanese original version, it was changed in some mega collection back in 2003 or whenever it came out. That youtube user there is playing the rom ripped from the collection.

Plus it's not a bug it was intentional, sonic 1 code shows that spikes always caused instant damage even when flashing in the original builds. Personally I like it but a lot of people bitch.

I liked it too Diablohead. I went from Sonic 2 to Sonic 1 as well.

Jasoco

Banned
Choppasmith said:
Well here's something interesting. From one of the first issues of NP in '89

Apparently Lt. Worf kicked Ganon's ass. Now where do you think Ganondorf comes from?

30j2std.jpg
C.J. Worf?

Where did that come from? Why do they never call him C.J.? Does the C. stand for Commander? Then what does the J. stand for? Now I'm confused.

OnPoint

Here's one I don't recall seeing in here: Super Mario Bros. has a day/night cycle.

World 1 & 2: Daytime

World 3: Nighttime

World 4 & 5: Daytime

World 6: Nighttime

World 7 & 8: Daytime

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OnPoint said:
Here's one I don't recall seeing in here: Super Mario Bros. has a day/night cycle.

World 1 & 2: Daytime

World 3: Nighttime

World 4 & 5: Daytime

World 6: Nighttime

World 7 & 8: Daytime

Night is shorter than day in the Mushroom Kingdom, apparently.

Top Bottom