• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

ReyVGM

The Yoshi sprite design (and the best design period) used in Yoshi's Island (AKA the best sidescroller ever made) wasn't really used in that game the first time. It was actually used first in.... Yoshi's Cookie and Mario All Stars two years earlier.

In Yoshi's Cookie, you can catch the sprite in the ending of the game and in Mario All Stars, you can see the sprite in Mario 3's transformed king of World 7.

yoshicook2-10.gif

*Edited to show the sprite used for Super Mario All Stars, also in 1993. Thanks Kishi!

Here's one I've just worked out myself, apologies if old.

Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World all have the same minimum number of levels that need to be passed to win the game: Twelve.

Super Mario Bros. 2

(1) 1-1,
(2) 1-2,
(3) 1-3 (WARP),
(4) 4-1,
(5) 4-2,
(6) 4-3,
(7) 5-1,
(8) 5-2,
(9) 5-3 (WARP),
(10) 7-1,
(11) 7-2,
(12) 7-3

Super Mario Bros. 3

(1) 1-1,
(2) 1-2,
(3) 1-3 (collect warp whistle 1),
(4) 1-F (collect warp whistle 2), (WARP),
(5) 8-Tanks,
(6) 8-Boats,
(7) 8-Airship,
(8) 8-1,
(9) 8-2,
(10) 8-F,
(11) 8-Tanks 2,
(12) 8-Final

Super Mario World

(1) Yoshi's Island 2,
(2) Yoshi's Island 3,
(3) Yoshi's Island 4,
(4) Iggy's Castle,
(5) Donut Plains 1,
(6) Donut Secret 2,
(7) Donut Secret House,
(8) Star World 1,
(9) Star World 2,
(10) Star World 3,
(11) Star World 4,
(12) Front Door

I think I've worked this out correctly, surely the number twelve is by intent? Then again, maybe its just a coincidence.

Haunted

Gravijah said:
would you be able to swim through it while it's brown
Mario could!

ReyVGM said:
The Yoshi sprite design (and the best design period) used in Yoshi's Island (AKA the best sidescroller ever made) wasn't really used in that game the first time. It was actually used first in.... Yoshi's Cookie and Mario All Stars two years earlier.

yoshicook2-10.gif
Yoshi's Island Yoshi has superior shading. :eek:

BocoDragon said:
I like this one. It articulates something I've always known but never thought too deeply about.

I'm pretty sure the artists just tinted the screen for artistic license and color within the environment. At this point, Nintendo was getting all tricky with the small NES colour palette to create mood instead of 16 color primarys.

KevinCow

Banned
ReyVGM said:

In Yoshi's Cookie, you can catch the sprite in the ending of the game and in Mario All Stars, you can see the sprite in Mario 3's transformed king of World 7.

yoshicook2-10.gif

*Edited to show the sprite used for Super Mario All Stars, also in 1993. Thanks Kishi!

I like how this picture says Yoshi no Cookie and Yossy Island instead of the actual damn English titles. It's like the weaboos who go to IMDb and change Super Metroid to Supa Metoroido or some other shit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Warm Machine said:
I'm pretty sure the artists just tinted the screen for artistic license and color within the environment. At this point, Nintendo was getting all tricky with the small NES colour palette to create mood instead of 16 color primarys.
Perhaps... but I always thought the art design of world 8 was certainly designed to be "evil world".

The oceans are red. While Nintendo would never admit to it... in a metaphorical sense those are "blood oceans". I always thought so, anyway.

BocoDragon

Kuran said:
Why are they called the 'Mario' brothers, when Mario is his first name?
Mario is their last name.

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

Coined by the SMB movie, and later confirmed by Nintendo Power. It's the unofficial official explanation.

Rich!

Kuran said:
Why are they called the 'Mario' brothers, when Mario is his first name?

Not the original explanation, but they're called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario. Full names introduced in the movie, and then surprisingly continued with by Nintendo. They must have liked it. :lol

BocoDragon

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I don't think Nintendo has ever really gone with that. Nintendo Power, maybe, and I think I remember hearing that Nintendo of Europe did.
What are they gonna do... issue a statement? I think that it's as good enough answer as anything, and I bet people within Nintendo are fond of that answer. Is it Canon? Let's not go there. Mario Canon... *shudders*

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
richisawesome said:
Not the original explanation, but they're called Mario Mario and Luigi Mario. Full names introduced in the movie, and then surprisingly continued with by Nintendo. They must have liked it. :lol

True answer is that the characters have no full names. They're just Mario and Luigi.

But nobody cares about Luigi. Despite the fact that he's taller and can jump higher, he's a clumsy, cowardly shell of a hero. He will always live in the shadow of his brother.

Mama Robotnik said:
An interesting list, but massively flawed for not including the Pirate Ship in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain that took fourteen years to find.
Cracked don't read gaf CONFIRMED!

um, their RE2 one "We can't pinpoint how long it took gamers to find this one, and we're kind of hoping it took a really, really long time." well that's smart isn't it, making a list without knowing dates. The hidden Rebecca photo was know like the year the game came out on ps2, lol.

The hidden room in batman AA is cool, confirms the sequel before we even knew.

KevinCow said:
I like how this picture says Yoshi no Cookie and Yossy Island instead of the actual damn English titles. It's like the weaboos who go to IMDb and change Super Metroid to Supa Metoroido or some other shit.

Not to drag this off topic, but UGH I hate this. It can make searching for game titles so annoying. They get away with it because of IMDB's new rule of how titles MUST be in the language of it's country of origin. I talked with one of the admins and said in cases like this where even the logo is English in the Japanese version (like Final Fantasy) can be kept in English. I've changed a couple like Dissidia back. Just sent an update request for this though, linking the Japanese boxart as proof that the title is indeed in actual English.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mama Robotnik said:
An interesting list, but massively flawed for not including the Pirate Ship in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain that took fourteen years to find.
Because that wasn't an Easter Egg, it was a removed level. Why they removed it, who knows, we banned Dyack so we can't ask him, but it wasn't an Easter Egg.

And I will never get why people had so much trouble finding the Chris Houlihan Room, I found it by mistake in 2002 and thought nothing of it. I mean, pegasus boots at the hole near the castle is an easy as way to trigger it since I loved playing with the boots to travel slightly faster :lol

Drkirby said:
Because that wasn't an Easter Egg, it was a removed level. Why they removed it, who knows, we banned Dyack so we can't ask him, but it wasn't an Easter Egg.
Could you not say the same thing for the zelda room? *edit* maybe I need to check on it again, I thought the only way in was by doing a glitch or something, I don't remember. *edit2* you just said how :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If I remember correctly, Pegasus shoes at tunnel next to the castle (The one right at the start of the game, where you uncle is) is the "proper" way to do it.

Also, I am a bit disappointed they put Wesker's Desk over Suikoden 2's Color Intro. Why? Here is how you get the color Intro in Suikoden 2. Right before the Intro, you have a fight with a set of guards on a cliff. After you beat them, you are supposed to select "Jump off", after which the intro rolls. But, instead you can select to wait for anther group of guards to show up. And you can keep doing this. If you do this more then 108 times, you will unlock the color intro. This takes roughly 2 hour and 15 minutes of fighting guards.

Then again, it is very likely Konami published the easter egg in a magazine.

Jasoco

Banned
Diablohead said:
Could you not say the same thing for the zelda room? *edit* maybe I need to check on it again, I thought the only way in was by doing a glitch or something, I don't remember. *edit2* you just said how :D
The Zelda room was a prize in a Nintendo Power contest where the winner would be put in a Nintendo game.

In order to get there you need to make it from the church to that hole you fall down at the start of of the game in a set amount of time and the only way is by running and slashing your way through really fast.

Mama Robotnik said:
Here's one I've just worked out myself, apologies if old.

Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World all have the same minimum number of levels that need to be passed to win the game: Twelve.

Super Mario Bros. 2

(1) 1-1,
(2) 1-2,
(3) 1-3 (WARP),
(4) 4-1,
(5) 4-2,
(6) 4-3,
(7) 5-1,
(8) 5-2,
(9) 5-3 (WARP),
(10) 7-1,
(11) 7-2,
(12) 7-3

Super Mario Bros. 3

(1) 1-1,
(2) 1-2,
(3) 1-3 (collect warp whistle 1),
(4) 1-F (collect warp whistle 2), (WARP),
(5) 8-Tanks,
(6) 8-Boats,
(7) 8-Airship,
(8) 8-1,
(9) 8-2,
(10) 8-F,
(11) 8-Tanks 2,
(12) 8-Final

Super Mario World

(1) Yoshi's Island 2,
(2) Yoshi's Island 3,
(3) Yoshi's Island 4,
(4) Iggy's Castle,
(5) Donut Plains 1,
(6) Donut Secret 2,
(7) Donut Secret House,
(8) Star World 1,
(9) Star World 2,
(10) Star World 3,
(11) Star World 4,
(12) Front Door

I think I've worked this out correctly, surely the number twelve is by intent? Then again, maybe its just a coincidence.
Yeah, I mentioned this in the NSMBWii OT: NSMBWii's shortest route is very nearly the same number of levels, 13 in this case:

1-1
1-2
1-3 (to cannon)
5-1
5-2 or 5-3
5-Fortress
5-4
5-Ghost House (to cannon)
8-1
8-2
8-7
8-Airship
Bowser's Castle

And on top of that, SMB2j's (aka Lost Levels) shortest route is also 12 levels:

1-1
1-2 (warp)
4-1
4-2
4-3
4-4
5-1
5-2 (warp)
8-1
8-2
8-3
8-4

Haunted

Myriadis said:
Oh,it's nothing special,but

Noitu Love = evoL utioN.

I don't know how I missed that all the time.:lol
mah gawd

Half of the stuff in this thread that's actally mindblowing to me makes me feel stupid. :lol

Lijik

Gravijah said:
Why do people have those intros that last forever? I hate when they are before music. Ugh.
Its the worst when its for game footage, and the uploader doesn't understand the concept of fucking editing so half the video is their intro, and then all the startup shit for the game before you get to a level. Bonus points if they don't skip the game's intro. Double bonus points if a game's intro only plays after you wait at the menu for a minute and they still fucking include it.

Top Bottom