• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

DryvBy2 said:
This is very disappointing. Not the reference, but that people didn't know this already. It's a parody game of different varieties. Did you know the end boss
is from Aliens, along with the yellow mech thing you walk around in?
Did you know the bank scene in the lobby is from the Matrix? Did you know the beach scene is from Saving Private Ryan?

Did you know A Clockwork Orange is a little more obscure to Americans than Aliens or Saving Private Ryan?

I knew the name "A Clockwork Orange," but I had no idea what the movie was even about, save for that one scene that Conker parodied. And even then, to me it was only "oh yeah, that's Clockwork Orange."

Some parodies are going to fly over people's heads. It's just how it is.

David Wise apparently scored the XBLA port of mech game War World if his website's MP3 player is anything to go by, this is despite still being employed at Rare at that time.

So random, yet mind blown. I guess he was tired of all his projects at Rare getting cancelled and secretly worked on this?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Reason the Island Yo-Yo in Star Tropics was changed to the Island Star on the Virtual Console version is that Yo-Yo is still trademarked in Canada.

Meohsix

found this on reddit.
eD2d1.png

Thoraxes

My old high-school AP English teacher worked on the art assets for the original Mortal Kombat. He had friends that worked for Midway and asked him for his help. He is now a school superintendent.

At least, this was shocking for me like 7 years ago. I thought he was lying till I beat the game to double-check.

This is kinda old but a quick search found nothing on GAF:

Link's awakening DX has traces of “QBasic” along with other source code stuff

I found most fascinating was the source code implies that Nintendo lost the source code to Link's Awakening and so when making the DX version disassembled the game. Or they worked from Z80 machine code for some reason...given Iwata said in one of the Pokemon Iwata asks he programmed Pokemon Stadiums battle engine directly from reading the Game Boy assembly code for the game it that isn't so unlikely...

But such things in games isn't totally crazy, there are examples on that page (both in the main post and comments) and I recall some Playstation game had a copy of the South Park Christmas episode stuck in the root directory to fill up the disc.

Just read a new mindblowing secret about Super Mario Bros on Twitter. Discovered by one Dan Ryckert from Game Informer:

@DanRyckert Dan Ryckert:
Ho-ly shit. I just learned that holding A and pressing start at the Super Mario Bros. menu starts you off where you last died. #mindblown

Yep, just tried it. Totally works. RT @scott_wi: @DanRyckert For real? Even on the original NES version?

Just tested it again. Lost all my lives at World 3-1, kicked back to the menu, held A and pressed start. Back at 3-1 with all lives.

Clarification - if you die on 3-2, 3-3, or 3-4, it starts you back at 3-1. It just takes you back to the X-1 of the world you were last on.

Did anyone know this? Did a quick search but didn't see this posted in this thread or elsewhere. Googled it and saw several instances where this was discovered before, but I've never heard about it. Such a simple thing, can't believe I never tried it as a kid.

OMG Aero

BarrenMind said:
Did anyone know this? Did a quick search but didn't see this posted in this thread or elsewhere. Googled it and saw several instances where this was discovered before, but I've never heard about it. Such a simple thing, can't believe I never tried it as a kid.
This isn't mind blowing at all. It's been known about and been on GameFAQs for years.
Next you'll be saying the level select code in Sonic 1 is mind blowing.

webrunner

Minor thing, but the two PSP star ocean game's boxes line up:
star-ocean-box1.jpg

Also, the box art on Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age Origins Awakening line up pretty well - pretty much exactly if it wasn't for that "expansion pack" thing on top.

dragon-age-origins-box-art-front.jpg
dragon-age-origins-awakening-box-art-front.jpg

Also, more obvious but not everyone has all four together on a shelf (sorry, these scans i found don't line up perfectly)
589682_51700_spine.jpg

589681_51699_spine.jpg

582446_52661_spine.jpg

551240_44778_spine.jpg

Also same with GU
929995_87509_spine.jpg

929996_84310_spine.jpg

928400_67464_spine.jpg

There aren't enough games that actually look like they should go together on a shelf.

BarrenMind said:
Just read a new mindblowing secret about Super Mario Bros on Twitter. Discovered by one Dan Ryckert from Game Informer:

@DanRyckert Dan Ryckert:
Ho-ly shit. I just learned that holding A and pressing start at the Super Mario Bros. menu starts you off where you last died. #mindblown
I find it mind-blowing that someone didn't know about that code. It was even mentioned on an episode of MST3K!

webrunner said:
Also, more obvious but not everyone has all four together on a shelf (sorry, these scans i found don't line up perfectly)
589682_51700_spine.jpg

589681_51699_spine.jpg

582446_52661_spine.jpg

551240_44778_spine.jpg

Also same with GU
929995_87509_spine.jpg

929996_84310_spine.jpg

928400_67464_spine.jpg

There aren't enough games that actually look like they should go together on a shelf.

Never played these game but now i have mad respect for them just because of this small detail. Games look so nice when lined up or covers have consistency as a series and match. Looks great from a distance too. Love the Onimusha games on my shelf.

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Never played these game but now i have mad respect for them just because of this small detail. Games look so nice when lined up or covers have consistency as a series and match. Looks great from a distance too. Love the Onimusha games on my shelf.

I actually have all 4. I would take a picture if i had a better camera, but the images all line up remarkably well. And yes, the waiter grunty is french for whatever. Mon ami!

Trike

I looked and didn't see this posted, but mock if it is old. Or if it is just too obvious.

2m7ztx5.jpg

It forms a head. The "y" even forms the back of the head/hairline. It is a pretty clever logo.

TheOGB

Banned
Trike said:
I looked and didn't see this posted, but mock if it is old. Or if it is just too obvious.

2m7ztx5.jpg

It forms a head. The "y" even forms the back of the head/hairline. It is a pretty clever logo.
I don't see anything more than a face

karobit

TheOGB said:
I don't see anything more than a face

Yeah I'm not seeing the "y" being a part of the face, unless it's a cellphone that they're holding to their head, calling their friend to say "Yo dawg, Carnival Games is a piece of shit!"

Ultima_5

webrunner said:

The Ys games released recently on the psp line up. Can't find pics though
edit: beaten by quite a bit haha. Got to eager to share Ys knowledge!

Gravijah

KarmaCow said:
Aren't there a bunch of pokemon with a flower theme? Not really that mind blowing.

It's not really mindblowing, but I think that that Pokemon was actually an unused design from around RBY.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
George said:
found this on reddit.
http://i.imgur.com/eD2d1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

They leave out tons of designs every game (I think they left out like 100 for B/W), this isn't completely unsurprising.

Ignis

webrunner said:
(boxarts lining up)

Strangely enough, US and jp versions of Katamari Damacy actually have connecting rainbows.

katamari.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
eh there's no way that was intentional considering nothing else on the spine matches up, whether it's the cloud, the city or the scape

Rufus

Ah, right, only the second one came out here.

Amir0x said:
eh there's no way that was intentional considering nothing else on the spine matches up, whether it's the cloud, the city or the scape
Now I see it too, meh.

Amir0x said:

It just lines up because the art on the Japanese version is a little higher up.

Trike

Here is another one:

Moon Bloodgood as Detective Maya Sunee in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
148psvo.jpg

Crimson Viper promo art for Street Fighter IV
21l0bat.jpg

Crimson Viper's real name is Maya.

Sorry if this was obvious for others, but I just found that out the other day >_>

Trike said:
Here is another one:

Moon Bloodgood as Detective Maya Sunee in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
148psvo.jpg

Crimson Viper promo art for Street Fighter IV
21l0bat.jpg

Crimson Viper's real name is Maya.

Sorry if this was obvious for others, but I just found that out the other day >_>

Yeah, I don't think it's mind blowing that a character in a Street Fighter movie was based on a character Street Fighter. In fact, I think that's kinda the point.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is pretty old (not sure if this was posted).

FF7plot.gif

It's obviously a joke but it's pretty much spot-on.

Top Bottom