• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

AniHawk

sephiroth never destroyed the world though. he just stabbed someone through the back.

but yeah, final fantasy vii is terrible.

jaxword

AniHawk said:
sephiroth never destroyed the world though. he just stabbed someone through the back.

Well, he did ram a meteor into the planet, that takes out a lot of people.

The FF6 comparison doesn't really work anyways since Kefka being a product of experimentation isn't a major character trait like Sephiroth's identity crisis was.

In fact, it's not even mentioned outside of that missable npc.

LayLa

this thread is too long to check through, and you probably knew this anyway but i've mentioned it to a few people who didn't know so....
the Space Invaders are fish.
Tomohiro Nishikado, creator of Space Invaders, was originally inspired by Breakout and an illustration from H.G. Wells' War Of The Worlds, and as the Martian was very similar to an octopus he designed the Invaders to look like sea creatures - crab, squid and octopus.

here's a screengrab from his design doc, taken from the excellent UK tv program Thumb Candy which you can watch on Youtube (also featuring Steve Russell, Nolan Bushnell, Shigeru Miyamoto, Ed Logg, Tohru Iwatani, and an incredibly rare interview with a bugeyed Matthew Smith!)

invaders.jpg

AniHawk said:

I think it's just bad wording. I think the intent is "for the purpose of destroying the world".

Trike

randomlyrossy said:
Yeah, I don't think it's mind blowing that a character in a Street Fighter movie was based on a character Street Fighter. In fact, I think that's kinda the point.

Well, the movie did come out before Street Fighter IV came out for consoles. And unlike any other characters in the movie (that I can recall) they did not use her more familiar name. To be fair, every character in that movie is either only based on the character in the games only in name or seemingly by accident.

But in retrospect it does look dumb of me to post it.

iidesuyo said:
Darkwing Duck on NES runs on the same game engine as Mega Man 5.

437.jpg

6a00d83452033569e200e54f3d8b408833-800wi.jpg

If you know it becomes obvious.

Source, please. I could just as easily say Duck Tales runs on the same game engine as Mega Man 2, just because they were made by mostly the same staff at Capcom. I just want to know if this is a proven fact or you're just assuming because the engines have similar physics.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They both have the Super Arrow and a lot of other connections. I wouldn't say outright that it's the same engine but it is very, very likely.

Until today I never noticed that the Bullet Bill cannons in Super Mario Bros weren't meant to be depicting a human skull:

nes_SuperMarioBros_enemies_bulletcannon.png

The shape is the skull of a Toad (or at least a mushroom person), complete with domed bone head and short, stalk-like jaw.

All these years and I only notice it today. Am I the only one?

Holepunch

Mama Robotnik said:
The shape is the skull of a Toad (or at least a mushroom person), complete with domed bone head and short, stalk-like jaw.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm pretty sure they're just skulls.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
randomlyrossy said:
Yeah, I don't think it's mind blowing that a character in a Street Fighter movie was based on a character Street Fighter. In fact, I think that's kinda the point.
Someone posted character portraits from an unreleased Dimps game that bore a striking semblance to Rufus and C Viper. But I can't find them.

Jasoco

Banned
ULTROS! said:
This is pretty old (not sure if this was posted).

FF7plot.gif

It's obviously a joke but it's pretty much spot-on.
VI is so much better than VII anyway. I hate VII. I love VI. maybe it's the awesome 16-bit graphics vs. The icky early 3d pre-rendered backgrounds and low polygon models. I haaaaaate VII.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
TheYanger said:
Yeah...last I checked if it was the skull of a toad the eye sockets would be small and BELOW the huge domed section.

Judging by the shape alone, they would more likely be Koopa Troopa skulls if anything. I'm not sure if they intended it to look like any particular skull. More likely it just got that shape because it felt easier to recognise or something, at least that's my guess.

Here's a Zelda 2 skull for reference:

Linkskull.png

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
iidesuyo said:
Darkwing Duck on NES runs on the same game engine as Mega Man 5.

http://s.uvlist.net/l/y2005/6/437.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]My most played game on gameboy probably. Loved this

Myriadis

Mama Robotnik said:
Until today I never noticed that the Bullet Bill cannons in Super Mario Bros weren't meant to be depicting a human skull:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k423/mappster29/nes_SuperMarioBros_enemies_bulletcannon.png

Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes it very clear that they're just skulls:

Btw,I looked at the instruction booklet of the Orginal Super Mario Bros and noticed that the first page with the "Super Mario Bros"-Title has a space background.Funny concidence,but given that he became so famous it was just a matter of time to let him explore the space.

OnPoint

BarrenMind said:
Just read a new mindblowing secret about Super Mario Bros on Twitter. Discovered by one Dan Ryckert from Game Informer:

@DanRyckert Dan Ryckert:
Ho-ly shit. I just learned that holding A and pressing start at the Super Mario Bros. menu starts you off where you last died. #mindblown

Yep, just tried it. Totally works. RT @scott_wi: @DanRyckert For real? Even on the original NES version?

Just tested it again. Lost all my lives at World 3-1, kicked back to the menu, held A and pressed start. Back at 3-1 with all lives.

Clarification - if you die on 3-2, 3-3, or 3-4, it starts you back at 3-1. It just takes you back to the X-1 of the world you were last on.

Did anyone know this? Did a quick search but didn't see this posted in this thread or elsewhere. Googled it and saw several instances where this was discovered before, but I've never heard about it. Such a simple thing, can't believe I never tried it as a kid.

Did you know there's a 1-up hidden right before the game's first pit? Jump in between the pipe and the pit (almost directly in the middle) and you'll uncover a hidden block. Be sure to grab it before it falls in the pit, though.

Trike said:
Here is another one:

Moon Bloodgood as Detective Maya Sunee in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
148psvo.jpg

Crimson Viper promo art for Street Fighter IV
21l0bat.jpg

Crimson Viper's real name is Maya.

Sorry if this was obvious for others, but I just found that out the other day >_>
Whoa nce...I didnt know that. =0

Trike said:
Well, the movie did come out before Street Fighter IV came out for consoles. And unlike any other characters in the movie (that I can recall) they did not use her more familiar name. To be fair, every character in that movie is either only based on the character in the games only in name or seemingly by accident.

But in retrospect it does look dumb of me to post it.
Hell no man...good find..I play SSF4 almost everyday and I didnt know that.. =D

Setting myself up for disappointment here:

WkK6s.gif

Very very minor and not mind blowing, but I noticed how Nintendo changed the logo of Pilotwings in the western versions.
I only see one image and I don't know if it's the Western or JP logo.

iirate

Yep, until now always thought the flag had a peace sign. Never knew why, but man, mind blown again. This thread delivers less and less every day, but you can always leave it to Mario to deliver.

Sheik790

Yeah, I always assumed it was a peace sign to, as Mario's arrival had liberated the castle and brought peace to it...oh well

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sheik790 said:
Yeah, I always assumed it was a peace sign to, as Mario's arrival had liberated the castle and brought peace to it...oh well
Why would Mario take down the flag with the Peace Sign then?

antonz

drizzle said:
Why would Mario take down the flag with the Peace Sign then?
Because Mario is actually the most violent game ever made? The entire game is slaughtering turtles and mushroom men. You even kill the innocent citizens of the mushroom kingdom with every brick you smash.

Mindblowing brutality

I've been meaning to post this for a week now:

Did you know that Bayonetta's unlockable weapon "Pillow Talk" is the weapon that Waka, the half-baked prophet wields in Okami? I'm playing Okami for the 2nd time right now and when he called his weapon Pillow Talk I lost my damn mind

Seda

Small, but I just learned playing the Song of Storms in Majora's Mask cures jinxing from Blue Bubbles.

Like my favorite game all time (one of) and I didn't know that :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Gryphter said:

Did you know that Bayonetta's unlockable weapon "Pillow Talk" is the weapon that Waka, the half-baked prophet wields in Okami? I'm playing Okami for the 2nd time right now and when he called his weapon Pillow Talk I lost my damn mind
from what i've heard bayonetta is full of stuff like that

sn00zer

Gryphter said:

Ones from Bayonetta I know off the top of my head:
-Map that the Bayonetta doll moves around in uses Okami foot prints to show progression
-Bayonetta says"Henshin agogo baby!" (Viewtiful Joe)
-One of the characters near the end says "I'll fill your soul with LIIIGHHHTTT" (DMC)
-Her Panther form trails dead plants (Okami)
-Bayonetta uses Ebony and Ivory in the opening cutscene when she breaks out of the coffin (DMC)
-Bayonetta's spider demon is Ardor from DMC

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
this is a mere theory, but does anyone think that scorpion from the slammasters series could be the bushin master of guy of final fight/street fighter fame?

they seem to have a similar dress(scorpion looks like a shirtless guy), their walk cycles are similar, and their kicks are similar. they both have a anti aerial kick( one could say that guys evolved from scorpions) and scorpions teleportation could be some sort of bushin flash step

LayLa said:
this thread is too long to check through, and you probably knew this anyway but i've mentioned it to a few people who didn't know so....
Tomohiro Nishikado, creator of Space Invaders, was originally inspired by Breakout and an illustration from H.G. Wells' War Of The Worlds, and as the Martian was very similar to an octopus he designed the Invaders to look like sea creatures - crab, squid and octopus.
invaders.jpg

What actually blows my mind is that looks like it could be a design doc for Metal Slug 3!

NinjaBoiX

Did you know that you can pick up the "Pure Time Trails" DLC for Mirror's Edge for free on the Euro PSN? As you can pick up the game for about the same as a packet of crisps these days, that's rather compelling news I feel.

Your welcome thrifty-GAF.

Rapstah

The Japanese language doesn't have a general grammatic plural. It's common for fictional nouns from Japanese games, like Pokémon or Pikmin, to not have a plural.

In case this wasn't obvious to anyone.

--

The first Pokémon evolution to ever have been concieved was probably Niroran (male) > Nidoking. These Pokémon occupy index values 3 and 7 respectively inside the coding of the first-generation games, no other pokémon up to them share evolution families. The first evolution family to have any of its members in order is the female version of this couple, Nidoran (female) and Nidoqueen, taking up index values 15 and 16.

Nidorino and Nidorina appear to have been concieved much later, taking up 167 and 168 respectively.

Londa

Banned
LayLa said:

here's a screengrab from his design doc, taken from the excellent UK tv program Thumb Candy which you can watch on Youtube (also featuring Steve Russell, Nolan Bushnell, Shigeru Miyamoto, Ed Logg, Tohru Iwatani, and an incredibly rare interview with a bugeyed Matthew Smith!)

invaders.jpg

I see a Dragon Quest character.

Top Bottom