• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Clipper

Requeim said:
This is a small thing, but i never noticed it before now, despite having played through the game so many times.

In Super Mario Brothers 3, if you run into the end area with a full p-meter and jump at the right time you will get a star every time. Everybody knows this, but i had no idea the same thing happens even if you don't run.

If you just hold right at the start of the end zone and walk without stopping and jump as you would when running, it will also get you a star each time. It's also easier in a way, since you don't need to gain momentum and you won't jump too early or late. The only thing potentially screwing this up is when there's enemies in the end zone, but for levels that just pop you up into the endzone from a pipe, it's pretty useful.

Probably old and already somewhere in the thread, but my mind was kind of blown at least.
I don't remember it, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been said yet. Just to add to it, though, any repeated action within the area will always get you the same card. The spinner isn't randomised and isn't detecting that you ran or walked before jumping into it, it is just that each of those actions causes you to hit the spinner with the same latency after it spawned (it spawns when you get close) so it will be on the same value every time. If you time your jump correctly or do some other action on the way to the spinner, you can get flowers or mushrooms every time too (to see the various star pictures if you want).

TheOGB

Banned
The Awesomest said:
Also, the male trainer's hat in Pokemon Black and White is a pokeball when seen from above.
zEQA7.jpg
Every mainline playable Pokémon Trainer has something Pokéball-esque about/on their hat. Every male trainer, at the very least.

LeleSocho

Banned
Myriadis said:
- I guess some people never noticed it,because the only area with Toxic Haze in Super Mario 64 is in the Hazy Maze Labyrinth afair and you rush anyway to avoid dying in this green,toxic haze.However,if you stand there doing nothing,Mario will hold his hands in front of his nose and then he starts coughing.
Mind blown

TyRaNtM said:
I'm quoting myself this, because nobody read it (someone put a big image before and next my post). If this isn't mindblowing, at least tell why.

I'm not sure how it would be mindblowing since the game even tells you about Onyx evolving into Steelix. I guess I'm just missing what exactly makes the wild Steelixes than you can catch special.

hikarutilmitt said:
I'm not sure how it would be mindblowing since the game even tells you about Onyx evolving into Steelix. I guess I'm just missing what exactly makes the wild Steelixes than you can catch special.
They're over 100 years old, probably meaning that the game is at least 100 years in the future

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
sonikokaruto said:
They're over 100 years old, probably meaning that the game is at least 100 years in the future

The thing is that the wild Steelixs are 100 years old Onixs that evolved naturally (without any item).
Do you remember how a Onix can evolve without have 100 years old?
They evolve with a Metal Coat equiped and you must trade that Pokémon.

The real mindblowing here, is that wild Steelix are very old Pokémon that you can catch!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You guys are so slow, I noticed that like, the day I bought Jedi Outcast (Which coincidentally was a week after release)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Easy_D said:
You guys are so slow, I noticed that like, the day I bought Jedi Outcast (Which coincidentally was a week after release)
Oh yeah, well I noticed cloudbush in 1988 ;P

Koren

Probably just a coincidence, but I've been thinking about it for the past few days...

In Sonic the Hedgehog, Blaze works closely with Silver.

Silver Blaze is the name of a racing horse in (and the title of) one of the Sherlock Holmes short stories. I read pobably too far into this, but yet... A Doyle reader among the developpers?

Still, I take this chance to say that this thread is great, and thank all contributors!

I noticed the JK thing about a month after I bought Outcast, and it was during a loading screen for a multiplayer match. I felt oddly enlightened that round. For one fleeting round of Outcast I was truly a Jedi.

This is "mind blowing" only to me, but I just had my iPod on shuffle and the song "Get it Together" by the Go! Team came on. At first I was like, WTF? That's the same melody as the LittleBigPlanet theme. Then I realized it IS the theme. So here I am, having had this album for years, and LBP came out in what, 2008? I'm super LTTP, but it was a nice surprise. :)

catapult37 said:
This is "mind blowing" only to me, but I just had my iPod on shuffle and the song "Get it Together" by the Go! Team came on. At first I was like, WTF? That's the same melody as the LittleBigPlanet theme. Then I realized it IS the theme. So here I am, having had this album for years, and LBP came out in what, 2008? I'm super LTTP, but it was a nice surprise. :)
On the other hand one of the tracks on LBP was used in some loan adverts in the UK a few years ago, upon hearing the song it revived much hatred from the depths of my soul for daring to remind me of those horrible adverts.

GaussTek

Rapstah

Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire broke the chain of being able to transfer Pokémon from previous games to the current generation, but such a feature was planned at one point:

"
Welcome to the POKéMON CABLE CLUB
TRADE CENTER.
COLOSSEUM.
TIME CAPSULE.
"

The Time Capsule is listed in the same part of the game's text as the other two features available over link cable. The name of "Time Capsule", the same as in Gold/Silver/Crystal, also suggests you would have been able to trade back in the same way as those games supported trades to Red/Green/Blue. This is the only reference to the Time Capsule in the game, so it was probably dropped early on in development.

Jasoco

Banned
The Goomba's are dancing again.

I love that movie. I really do.

Also, that scene reminds me of the part in Beyond Good and Evil where you have to follow the shadows in the elevator to avoid being seen as people keep getting on and off.

arab said:
just realized that the lightsaber logo for jedi knight series has a j and a k on the handle
jfHOi.jpg

Yeah, you're really late on that. I got that logo as a tattoo on my right shoulder blade both because it is a light saber, and because the J and K are my initials (before some of you freak the hell out, it's my only gaming tat and I got it more because it fits in with my ongoing Star Wars theme).

SpacLock

All you have to do to turn on your 360 controller is hold the Start button, not Start and Back at the same people like people once thought.

It's good to remember this when you're around your friends, because pressing the Guide button is so mainstream.

Roto13

Correctomundo said:
Yeah, you're really late on that. I got that logo as a tattoo on my right shoulder blade both because it is a light saber, and because the J and K are my initials (before some of you freak the hell out, it's my only gaming tat and I got it more because it fits in with my ongoing Star Wars theme).
As though Star Wars tattoos are somehow less lame than video game tattoos. :p

Apologies if obvious/already posted, but only just realised this today after such a long time that I just HAD to share it.

On the old PS3 game boxarts, the "reflective" or lighter effect on the "PLAYSTATION 3" text that runs up the left side of the box highlights the characters "P", "S" and "3", the abbreviation used for the system.

Example:

mgsoldmanart.jpg

Again, apologies if this was obvious to some/most people, but it went over my head for ages. Clever, subtle design IMO.

Roto13 said:
As though Star Wars tattoos are somehow less lame than video game tattoos. :p

There's nothing lame about tats in the first place, but from my experience, some people feel compelled to rip on those who get game related tats. Startlingly, I've had very few people upset over the Star Wars theme I've got going.

vid

Snarfington said:
Example:

mgsoldmanart.jpg

Again, apologies if this was obvious to some/most people, but it went over my head for ages. Clever, subtle design IMO.

Not really mindblowing, but in a similar vein... all of the "L"s in the Metal Gear Solid 4 logo are upside down "7"s. Metal Gear 7/Metal Gear Solid 4. Classy.

Erigu

vid said:
Not really mindblowing, but in a similar vein... all of the "L"s in the Metal Gear Solid 4 logo are upside down "7"s. Metal Gear 7/Metal Gear Solid 4. Classy.
And Metal Gear (the first game) was released on 7/7/1987.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Snarfington said:
Apologies if obvious/already posted, but only just realised this today after such a long time that I just HAD to share it.

On the old PS3 game boxarts, the "reflective" or lighter effect on the "PLAYSTATION 3" text that runs up the left side of the box highlights the characters "P", "S" and "3", the abbreviation used for the system.

Example:

mgsoldmanart.jpg

That's genuinely mindblowing. Cool find.

OnPoint

Snarfington said:

Example:

mgsoldmanart.jpg

Pretty sure I saw this in a GAF thread a year or two ago, but it's apparently not that widely known

oatmeal

Banned
Snarfington said:

Example:

mgsoldmanart.jpg

U R MRGAY

Correctomundo said:
Oh my.

Sealda

Banned
Snarfington said:

Example:

[IMGhttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/04/mgsoldmanart.jpg[/IMG]

Mind blown

Top Bottom