• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Final Fantasy V:
OxLKD.gif
WI29F.png

jaxword

DiipuSurotu said:
Final Fantasy V:
OxLKD.gif
WI29F.png

Where's the Tiferet?

Probably just a coincidence since simple geometric patterns are found all over religious and cultural imagery. Finding them in games is even more common.

AshMcCool

Don't know if it fits here but I just heard Daniel Craig is apperantly a passionate video gamer? Really suprised me. (Are you here? ;) )

Lijik

AshMcCool said:
Don't know if it fits here but I just heard Daniel Craig is apperantly a passionate video gamer? Really suprised me. (Are you here? ;) )
I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me out, I like to keep a low profile.

Firehead said:
Dunno if this was posted or not, so I apologise if it was.

In the New Super Mario Bros. games, the goombas and koopas dance around to the music, right?

Remember this scene from the Super Mario Bros. Movie?
It's also used as a plot device at the end.

It's actually a lot more mind-blowing to me that this movie exists. I saw it in the theatre at age like 11 and even then I thought it was bizarre. Looking back now, it's actually kind of fascinating from certain standpoints, like the totally weird but inspired production design to the strangely excellent cast (excellent as actors, not as the embodiment of these characters). To realize that this was supposed to appeal to fans of the bright, colorful world of Super Mario Brothers, though -- that is the ultimate WTF.

Roto13

catapult37 said:
It's actually a lot more mind-blowing to me that this movie exists. I saw it in the theatre at age like 11 and even then I thought it was bizarre. Looking back now, it's actually kind of fascinating from certain standpoints, like the totally weird but inspired production design to the strangely excellent cast (excellent as actors, not as the embodiment of these characters). To realize that this was supposed to appeal to fans of the bright, colorful world of Super Mario Brothers, though -- that is the ultimate WTF.
Ugh, yeah. This was the way the early 90s worked. :p

DiipuSurotu said:
Final Fantasy V:
OxLKD.gif
WI29F.png

What's the context of this? The image on the right is some sort of Jewish ... something (my religious studies degree was acquired in the Mirror Universe, so I don't have it). And I don't quite know how it relates to the scene on the left, other than positioning. Any clarification?

Also, is that a face in the center of the tree, about two sprites below the top blue fellow?

AshMcCool said:

I heard they cast him to replace to Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. Google Imaged his face and it shocked the hell out of me.

GameplayWhore said:
What's the context of this? The image on the right is some sort of Jewish ... something (my religious studies degree was acquired in the Mirror Universe, so I don't have it). And I don't quite know how it relates to the scene on the left, other than positioning. Any clarification?

Also, is that a face in the center of the tree, about two sprites below the top blue fellow?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot

It's also placed on a tree, so it's probably not a coincidence.

Chopper

Leslie Swan is in the credits to every Nintendo game ever, more or less. I think she's a member of the testing team.

One day, I thought "Hey, I went to school with a Leslie Swan once!"

That totally blew my mind.

Then I remembered it was Leslie Pond. :(

Anyway...
oatmeal said:
U R MRGAY
LOL! I still can't believe that. That PS3 thing is awesome though.

Chopper said:
Leslie Swan is in the credits to every Nintendo game ever, more or less. I think she's a member of the testing team.

She's in the credits to most NoA-released games since Super Mario 64. She was the voice of Princess Peach in that game, and the localization manager at that time. She still works in localization, as far as I'm aware.

jaxword

GameplayWhore said:

That's the boss of FFV, Exdeath/Exodus, an evil tree.

The image on the right is from the Jewish religion, Sephirot.

It's very likely this is just a coincidence, especially as we can probably find many, many other examples of sprites standing in similar geometric patterns.

For example, FF4:

2wnu13c.png

Is that a cross at the bottom?

RockXLight said:
She's in the credits to most NoA-released games since Super Mario 64. She was the voice of Princess Peach in that game, and the localization manager at that time. She still works in localization, as far as I'm aware.

And she's totally cute!

Leslie_Swan.jpg

jaxword said:
It's very likely this is just a coincidence, especially as we can probably find many, many other examples of sprites standing in similar geometric patterns.

For example, FF4:

2wnu13c.png

Is that a cross at the bottom?

Yeah, pareidolia is a wonderful thing. I could just as quickly say that the above image is a skull
Space Invader

But big thanks to those who clarified for me. Even if it's not an actual relation, this thread is at its best when people go into detail about the finds. :)

I doubt this one is in here, so if anyone can find it in this topic egg on me, but here we go.

In resonance of fate, the entire populace of the world is forced to live on a gigantic tower named "Basel". The reason is that the outer world as become so polluted by toxic gas that anyone who lives in it contracts cancer.

Ironically enough, "Basal" is the most common type of skin cancer. It could thus be intimated that the humans themselves are in fact a kind of cancer. It is only at the end of the story when
the party kills the cardinals and releases them from their poor choices (ie: fight against the structure that allows our world to become polluted) that the actual world of the game becomes in habitable again as is seen when the party walks along a beautiful hillside in front of a stunning ocean

deep shit man

Roto13

Someone should make a thread about regional differences and censorship in old games. I love stuff like that.

EDIT: You know what? I'm going to do that. :p

iidesuyo

jaxword said:
Now that's a new one on me, and I LOVE stuff like this. Where did you see that one?

Found it on the German site schnittberichte.com.

The site compares cut versions with uncut ones, but it's more about movies than about games.

Another example is Dragon Knight III/Knights of Xentar for PC and PC Engine. (Warning: NSFW).

I played the game as a kid, and while even the cut version was naughty, I never knew there was a 16+ version. The magazine that put it on their monthly CD pretty much sold it as another standard Japanese RPG. There also seems to be an official Japanese hardcore version.

Locke_211

In Mass Effect 2, there's a planet with a big robot production line called Capek. Karel Capek is an early twentieth-century Czech playwright whose "Rossum's Universal Robots" coined the word 'robot'.

Roto13 said:
Someone should make a thread about regional differences and censorship in old games. I love stuff like that.

EDIT: You know what? I'm going to do that. :p

Here's one I did several years ago for Soul Blazer/Blader (pardon the large-ish image):

SoulBlader_vs_SoulBlazer.png

BowieZ

Banned
I'm more mind blown that I didn't realize this till now lol but:

Maple Treeway theme and
Bowser's Castle (Wii) theme

are the same.

The latter is just half speed.

hikarutilmitt said:
Here's one I did several years ago for Soul Blazer/Blader (pardon the large-ish image)

Okay, censoring 16-bit mermaid boobies, that I can understand given NoA's strict censorship policies of that era. But turning that lovely animé styled lass into female David Duchovny?
Not cool.

Chopper said:
Holy shit. You have re-blown my mind!

Thanks for the info.

No problem! :)

AbsoluteZero said:
And she's totally cute!

Leslie_Swan.jpg

OMG YES. I've been a fan of hers for so many years, but before today I had never seen a picture of her. Now whenever I beat SM64 and hear Peach say "We need to do something special for you", I'll be picturing ^that^ lovely face.

Which is, um...decidedly creepy of me, and I should get out more.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, it's the first time I hear about it, (or notice it, rather) and it's still awesome.

Come at me, bro.

BY2K said:
Well, it's the first time I hear about it, (or notice it, rather) and it's still awesome.

Come at me, bro.

I'M COMIN AT YOU BRO
But yeah, it is cool. I've seen it in this thread somewhere before, but it was a while back. The thread itself is a bit cyclical so i'm not surprised certain ones pop up several times.

BY2K said:

Onion Relish said:
I've seen it in this thread somewhere before, but it was a while back. The thread itself is a bit cyclical so i'm not surprised certain ones pop up several times.

http://jc-news.com/cloudbush/?action=search&post=2032&tag=151

I promise for reals that I'm going to fix this soon so that (A) robots stop randomly tagging stuff alphabetically, and (B) individual Facts are indexed so they can be directly linked and edited.

If I do it in the next two weeks, it'll be good, as I'll be seriously nerding it up on the US West coast for two and a half weeks afterward.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
RurouniZel said:
I never noticed it before now, so this may be insanely obvious to everyone else, but just in case here goes. Techno de Chocobo from Final Fantasy VI, if you listen carefully to the first 3 beats played, it isn't just a random bass sound; the synth is saying "Chocobo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjANi9efro
I always thought it sounded like a Starcraft Dragoon saying "chocobo".

Top Bottom