• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Clipper

I'm pretty sure it's coincidence. The XP icon has a different colour between the sun and water compared to the Evangelion shot. Also the shadow.

And no, it's not one symbolising the other either.

RagnarokX

Evangelion isn't a video game...

And that's clearly a sailboat on the sea at sunset. The sky, water, and sun reflection are all completely different

RagnarokX

it doesn't have to be an exact copy but both are very much like each other.

They're almost nothing alike...

Foreground object to the left in front of a sunset. Wow. Too close to be a coincidence! Googling "sunset sailboat" reveals a bunch of Evangelion copycats as well.

Nibel

I think most of you know the PS2 Startup animation.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.

Whaaaat the fuuuck

Genius!

Haunted

So many Evangelion references!

I think most of you know the PS2 Startup animation.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.
That's incredible.

BHZ Mayor

If someone could find some evidence to support this, that would be great, but according to TV Tropes, the black part of Bowser armbands in Super Mario Bros. is actually blank space, because 8-bit sprites back then could only support up to 3 colors.

Bowser.jpg

KAOz

Short bus special
If someone could find some evidence to support this, that would be great, but according to TV Tropes, the black part of Bowser armbands in Super Mario Bros. is actually blank space, because 8-bit sprites back then could only support up to 3 colors.

Seems like it's possible. Was digging around a little, and found sprites of 8-bit Bowser against a white background. The bracelet parts and so on was white then.

LeleSocho

Banned

Bowser.jpg

So the nostril too is a blank space? neat.

Probably won't blow any minds, but.....

I thought that Caius Ballard in FFXIII-2 was great, especially the voice actor. I recently purchased Darksiders in the PSN sale and started playing it today, turns out that the voice of War is the same guy, and with the exact same tone in delivering his lines.

Thought it was worth a mention.

Here is a little extra trivia;

did you know that Lightning's voice actress has also voiced Lira from Mass Effect ?

Wiz

In Wario Ware...Kat and Ana...Katana...

Don't know if I should feel ashamed or astonished that I only recently realized this.

because 8-bit sprites back then could only support up to 3 colors.

Bowser.jpg

4 colours. :p

The transparency is really just a colour set to a transparent value. Think about it like a 256 colour transparent gif. NES sprites could either display 4 solid colours or 3 colours with one transparency.

But yeah, most likely all the black areas are transparent. It makes sense since Bowser was always displayed on a black background in each castle.

Myriadis

4 colours. :p

The transparency is really just a colour set to a transparent value. Think about it like a 256 colour transparent gif. NES sprites could either display 4 solid colours or 3 colours with one transparency.

But yeah, most likely all the black areas are transparent. It makes sense since Bowser was always displayed on a black background in each castle.

It's so insane how much they did with such limitations. And then you have something like Megaman 3, which looks even better. But I love how Nintendo managed to do it so well with some tricks. It's the reason we have cloudbush and the fact that the tileset in the underground levels is the tileset for the first overworld levels, but just in another palette.

It's so insane how much they did with such limitations. And then you have something like Megaman 3, which looks even better. But I love how Nintendo managed to do it so well with some tricks. It's the reason we have cloudbush and the fact that the tileset in the underground levels is the tileset for the first overworld levels, but just in another palette.

Mind = blown

hirokazu

I realised cloudbush and the pallets swap thing when I was seven. It seems so obvious to me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All these years, countless replays, and I only just noticed that the Half-Life 2 crosshair:

crosshairs23su0b.gif

Doesn't just show health and ammo, but also indicates the maximum spread and damage zone of the SMG and Combine AR.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Isn't this just a mere coincidence?

Could be, but knowing that adds logic to the crosshair. Especially when firing automatics over distance. You know exact spread radius, and thus the probability of rounds hitting their target.

The Boat

I think I found a piece of music that may have inspired (in part) DKC's Aquatic Ambiance.

Dexter Wansel's "What the World is Coming To".

Especially the part I've linked to, but listen to the whole thing.
I don't know if it's common knowledge or not but scrap brain zone from Sonic 1 sounds a lot like the ending theme from Blade Runner.

Sonic 1
Blade Runner

Listen to the drums.
I'm sorry, but these are gigantic stretches. As usual.

Top Bottom