• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Bear

Isn't this just a mere coincidence?

Why would it be? Tons of games have expanding crosshairs that indicate accuracy, it goes at least as far back as Deus Ex 1 and BF1942.

Not exactly mindblowing, I'm surprised anyone thinks it's out of the ordinary, but it's definitely intentional.

Now I think about there is this song I used to know that was believed to be heavily influnce to a snowboundland in dkc2..really cant remember I know I saw the video on youtube once it was in like antartic or alaska or some shit with huskies pulling a sleigh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, today I finally realized why the main character of Kid Icarus is called Pit.

Palutena's name is a corruption of Pallas Athena, the Greek Goddess who gave humanity the first olive tree.

The seed of an olive is often called a "pit".

Pretty obvious now that I think about it.

Sagitario

So, today I finally realized why the main character of Kid Icarus is called Pit.

Palutena's name is a corruption of Pallas Athena, the Greek Goddess who gave humanity the first olive tree.

Nice catch!

Tomasooie

Wow you might be onto something, not only did it remind me of Aquatic Ambiance, but also some other themes in DKC2 and 3.

Yeah, especially Stickerbrush Symphony!

Now I think about there is this song I used to know that was believed to be heavily influnce to a snowboundland in dkc2..really cant remember I know I saw the video on youtube once it was in like antartic or alaska or some shit with huskies pulling a sleigh.

Vangelis -- Antarctica

This one's undeniable.

Off-topic, but speaking of musical similarities...

Guns N' Roses -- Don't Cry

Metallica -- The Unforgiven II

TheKyle07

As I understand it Pit's name is a shortening of "Cupid".

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think most of you know the PS2 Startup animation.

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.

My god...

I thought Palutena came from Pallas Athena, that is, the name taken on by Athena after she slew her childhood friend Pallas, for many years too, but it actually comes from another appellation of hers, parthena, or παρθένα, which is Greek for virgin. She was a virgin goddess in traditional classical mythology (although I seem to recall reading that, like a majority of goddesses, she likely began as a fertility goddess). It's where the term Parthenon comes from. Rendered into Japanese, it's パルテナ, that is pa - ru - te - na. Remember that L and R are not distinguished in Japanese., so you get Palutena.

In other words, she is named after Athena, but it's not the mangled compound of two names that it seems to be, but a proper transliteration of the term into Japanese. It beats calling her Virgin.

MNC

Why would it be? Tons of games have expanding crosshairs that indicate accuracy, it goes at least as far back as Deus Ex 1 and BF1942.

Not exactly mindblowing, I'm surprised anyone thinks it's out of the ordinary, but it's definitely intentional.

It doesn't expand. EatChildren means the health/ammo bar indicate the spread.

Salsa

man i just got a new copy of Mario Galaxy for my nephew and after all this time i realized that the beggining with Mario running around trying to catch a rabbit in a small planet with a house in it is extremely reminescent of Dragon Ball Z

i know its a coincidence but lol

Ok, here's one I just found. It's probably common knowledge, but on the front end of the 3DS, where you have your game previewed (3D model at the top of the screen), if you blow into the microphone, the 3D model will spin around. I've only tested this with Mario Kart 7 so far. Pretty neat.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, here's one I just found. It's probably common knowledge, but on the front end of the 3DS, where you have your game previewed (3D model at the top of the screen), if you blow into the microphone, the 3D model will spin around. I've only tested this with Mario Kart 7 so far. Pretty neat.

All the software does something. Some spin faster or jump up or something. Most are just accelerated versions of their idol animation or just a spin or jump.

Anteo

man i just got a new copy of Mario Galaxy for my nephew and after all this time i realized that the beggining with Mario running around trying to catch a rabbit in a small planet with a house in it is extremely reminescent of Dragon Ball Z

i know its a coincidence but lol

What? wow that's right! Heh didn't notice that before

Clipper

On about the second day after I received my 3DS, I started playing it on the bus. I noticed all the logos spinning around like crazy (due to the bus engine triggering the microphone) and I thought it was some weird glitch that had caused the clock for the menu system to speed up. I figured it out later on, but I was really worried for a moment there.

Oh, in something related, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (the DS game) is nigh unplayable in sections if you are on a plane or other loud vehicle. There's some enemies that react to microphone noise by experiencing a knock-back animation. So if there's constant noise, like in a plane, they keep getting knocked back and this can force them out of the arena you are playing in so your attacks can't reach them. When you combine this with the fact you are locked in arenas until you kill all the creatures, it means you are stuck. I actually played the game for the first time on a flight, so I thought the game was horribly broken and it took me a while to go back and try again, which is when I discovered the mechanic as the game was much easier in a normal environment.

Mike M

Nick N
box-art-battles-the-kirby-series-20110907021410833.jpg

While I'm sure it's common knowledge, I've only just discovered that Kirby has always been pink in Japan.

This has shattered my worldview, as Kirby going from white to pink has long been my most hated character redesign ever, and it turns out my preferred incarnation was always a lie the whole time : (

MNC

Yeah I dunno what to think about didyouknowgaming. I've read most of them IN THIS THREAD so it feels like some kind of copycat. Maybe it's a gaffer at work?

CoilShot

Did you notice these white towers, some higher than the others? That's not just nice useless eye-candy.

The towers represent games. The more games you play on the PS2, the more towers are added. The longer you play a game, the higher the tower gets.

Sometimes, it erases all towers. I think it happens when you unplug the console.
Edit: It seems that it actually reads data from the memory cards to show the towers.

This is amazing

I noticed that something like 10 years ago and I think this statement isn't completely true.

I believe the representation of tower is somehow linked to your saves. More saves more tower. But I don't think all save had timer so I believe more highs means more save per game.

Myriadis

I noticed that something like 10 years ago and I think this statement isn't completely true.

I believe the representation of tower is somehow linked to your saves. More saves more tower. But I don't think all save had timer so I believe more highs means more save per game.

The number of towers are connected to the Memory card, but it is indeed just one game per tower. As I mentioned it earlier, I started with no towers. Played four games, four towers are added. I also thought that the game I played the longest there also had the highest one, so I got the conclusion that it is tied to how long you play the game. But having the height of towers dependent on the number of saves could actually also be a possibility.

bjork

Yeah I dunno what to think about didyouknowgaming. I've read most of them IN THIS THREAD so it feels like some kind of copycat. Maybe it's a gaffer at work?

This was the same thing I thought. Too many overlaps, even if some of them are fairly common knowledge.

If someone could find some evidence to support this, that would be great, but according to TV Tropes, the black part of Bowser armbands in Super Mario Bros. is actually blank space, because 8-bit sprites back then could only support up to 3 colors.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OzikSw1bu70/S8PC2PPUfHI/AAAAAAAAAHI/vit_gt2fl-8/s400/Bowser.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I can't find a screenshot for the life of me, but I'm pretty sure that at one point you can encounter Bowser on a blue background in Super Mario Bros. 2 (the JP version AKA Lost Levels) if you absolutely need proof.

Regardless, you can easily see this technique come into play in Final Fantasy 1, as the battle sprites do the same thing since every battle takes place on a black background, while their sprites in the menu are on a blue background.

Mike M

Nick N
I can't find a screenshot for the life of me, but I'm pretty sure that at one point you can encounter Bowser on a blue background in Super Mario Bros. 2 (the JP version AKA Lost Levels) if you absolutely need proof.

Regardless, you can easily see this technique come into play in Final Fantasy 1, as the battle sprites do the same thing since every battle takes place on a black background, while their sprites in the menu are on a blue background.

In the Mario All-Stars version, you fight Bowser at the end of World 9-4 in some sort out outdoors castle, but I don't know how true that is to the original (SMBAS did muck around with some BGs in SMB3)

Muskweeto

This may have been posted already or just common knowledge.

Being an inferior American and having not grown up with the original music from Sonic CD, it came as quite a shock when I was recently playing Sonic 2 for Game Gear and got to Green Hills Zone and heard this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKehYLYP-A

It's Toot Toot Sonic Warrior!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3cFn6NneHA

Also, Sonic 2 for Game Gear came out the year before Sonic CD meaning Toot Toot Sonic Warrior isn't the original.

Myriadis

Just a little one:

You may have noticed that in Skyward Sword, there are some Boboklins who have these horns to summon other Boboklins. In certain parts of the game, they like to play other short melodies - and one of these just happens to be the ocarina melody from A Link To The Past.

Video with the Boboklin playing the melody (Huge Spoilers, near the end of the game!)
Song from the Flute Boy in AlttP (which is also the ocarina melody).

Nothing big or special, but neat. I think Skyward Sword has a ton of references. And I didn't even notice that they play different melodies.

RagnarokX

Just a little one:

You may have noticed that in Skyward Sword, there are some Boboklins who have these horns to summon other Boboklins. In certain parts of the game, they like to play other short melodies - and one of these just happens to be the ocarina melody from A Link To The Past.

Video with the Boboklin playing the melody (Huge Spoilers, near the end of the game!)

Nothing big or special, but neat. I think Skyward Sword has a ton of references. And I didn't even notice that they play different melodies.

Are you sure? It just sounds like a charge.

Just a little one:

I didn't either. I'll need to hear some of these other melodies.

Used to play it at a local arcade.

0MaeH.gif

Unless you're really, really old...no you didn't. You're probably thinking of the video version of the same game.

The Laser Clay Shooting System was a shooting simulation that were present in many former bowling alleys in Japan. In the simulation, players fire their laser rifles at moving targets produced by an overhead projector. A series of reflections determines whether or not the target was hit by the "laser shot"; when a hit is registered, the projector displays a picture of a destroyed target.

The Laser Clay Shooting System was redesigned in 1974 and was renamed "Mini Laser Clay". This game would be displayed in arcades as opposed to bowling alleys. Mini Laser Clay consisted of two shooting ranges in which up to four players could play simultaneously. Players would pay ¥100 to shoot ten clay pigeons with two shots per pigeon; players would "pull" each clay pigeon by stepping on a button near their feet. High scores would earn players tokens which could be exchanged for prizes. Cheaper models of Mini Laser Clay featured single players who would shoot targets, projected by a 16mm film, at an arcade cabinet with a revolver.

0MaeH.gif

Unless you're really, really old...no you didn't. You're probably thinking of the video version of the same game.

He wouldn't have to be that old. I've played it, and I'm 39. Unless you're one of those that thinks 39 is "old", in which case you can DIAF, but otherwise, it's not inconceivable for someone within a few years of my age to have played it. It was quite common in the 70s. At least as much as I remember seeing the damned thing.

jaypah

He wouldn't have to be that old. I've played it, and I'm 39. Unless you're one of those that thinks 39 is "old", in which case you can DIAF, but otherwise, it's not inconceivable for someone within a few years of my age to have played it. It was quite common in the 70s. At least as much as I remember seeing the damned thing.

I thought the comment was odd too but not because of the time frame and more because I never knew it was released outside of Japan. Though obviously you two guys could have been in Japan in the 70s. Actually that wouldn't surprise me, GAF has all kinds of folks from around the world.

Top Bottom