• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Platy

bbYbF.png

OMT

I know it's not popular to mention Pokémon related info in here, but has anyone mentioned the thing about how supposedly, there were originally supposed to be 190 species in Red/Green, that their index values were left in the game as the 39 Missingno.s, and that those are read in the Time Capsule as specific Gen 2 species? Similarly, Mew was originally written out of the game, but apparently added back in a last-second move by the programmers.

Knowing that the Gen 1 species were, for the most part, created in the order of their index numbers, and the existence of Gen 2 species in the beta art for Red/Green, one can conclude that it's likely that some of the designs in Gold and Silver are older than many of those in Gen 1.

If you mean Super Mario Bros. 2 stole Doki Doki's artwork, then no. That's Super Mario Bros. USA, which was released in Japan and advertised as a Mario branded remake of Doki Doki Panic. They recreated the box art with Mario characters to further express that fact.
Also, both pictures look as though they were drawn by Yoichi Kotabe; hardly a rip-off if it's by the same artist.

Huh, I didn't know about Yoichi Kotabe until now. I figured all of the old artwork was drawn by Miyamoto. They're not too different, huh:

Mario_SMB.png

Mariombros..PNG

(The first is Miyamoto and the second is Kotabe). It's like he took Miyamoto's artwork and kind of cleaned up the "model". I see from the same wiki article that the modern Peach (post SMB 1) is all him. In that first SMB artwork that Miyamoto did, she looks a lot more like Pauline:

Bowser_and_Peach_original_SMB.png

And of course, Bowser looks crazy, too.

The Iwata Asks Flipnote Studio series (there are a couple of volumes with him in them) is a treasure trove of Yoichi Kotabe info.

Regarding the crazy original Bowser design. Miyamoto originally intended for Bowser to be an Ox. The whole turtles thing fitting together so gracefully changed that.

Anteo

I know it's not popular to mention Pokémon related info in here, but has anyone mentioned the thing about how supposedly, there were originally supposed to be 190 species in Red/Green, that their index values were left in the game as the 39 Missingno.s, and that those are read in the Time Capsule as specific Gen 2 species? Similarly, Mew was originally written out of the game, but apparently added back in a last-second move by the programmers.

Knowing that the Gen 1 species were, for the most part, created in the order of their index numbers, and the existence of Gen 2 species in the beta art for Red/Green, one can conclude that it's likely that some of the designs in Gold and Silver are older than many of those in Gen 1.

Uh, I think from 152 onwards, the Id of the NonPokemon data matches a pokemon from the next gen, so it's a lot likely that transfering one of these will get you a valid pokemon in G/S/C. Also the Mew thing is that they had some debug utilities in there, after taking those out they got extra space for a pokemon, and they secretly added Mew, even people at nintendo ignored Mew existence for a while.

LuFel

It's interesting how the character mappings doesn't follow the one in the game:
d5d0z.png

in the game the character in DokiDokiPanic ver have the same gameplay as the mario2 ver

the kid = Toad
the blue woman = luigi
the little girl = Peach
the fatguy = Mario

they doesn´t run in DokiDokiPanic.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
in the game the character in DokiDokiPanic ver have the same gameplay as the mario2 ver

the kid = Toad
the blue woman = luigi
the little girl = Peach
the fatguy = Mario

they doesn´t run in DokiDokiPanic.
To be more specific, you don't hold down B to run in DDP.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Jenny Jaros, or Princess Kwilanna from the Saints Row The Third DLC, Gansters in Space, has a suspicious amount of visual similarities to Jenny from the comic/cartoon Bucky O'Hare.

UmxHP.jpg

6aIi5.jpg

The name, the hair, the outfit. The glowy things! Just look at those glowy things.

MizzouRah

Unlike many landmarks in Assassin's Creed II, the Palazzo Auditore is not a building found in the real world. However, it is very clearly inspired by the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi in real world Florence, designed by Michelozzo de Bartolommeo.

Quote from AC II "the Palazzo Auditore is notable for its rusticated stonework and Roman pilasters... Lorenzo de' Medici mentioned in a letter addressed to Giovanni that he admired the facade's lack of 'ostentation'."

The real life building was constructed with a similar rusticated stonework for a wealthy family as a private residence who wished to remain modest, despite building their own palace. Hence, the lack of ostentation in the design.

Wiki quote from Medici-Riccardi:
"When the Medici family returned to Florence after their short-lived exile in the early 15th century, they kept a low profile and executed their power behind the scenes. This is reflected in the plain exterior of this building, and is said to be the reason why Cosimo de' Medici rejected Brunelleschi's earlier proposal."

Palazzo Auditore:

Palazzo Medici-Riccardi:
2329920-Palazzo_Medici_Riccardi_Florence.jpg

There's some knowledge for ya asses. Graci a mi Renaissance Art History course I'm taking this summer. Playing ACII to study for an exam on Monday.

jaxword

Seems racist.

Japan was not the most racially sensitive place 30 years ago. They wouldn't know or care that a blackface mask is considered racist in the US.

In fact, it's not very racially sensitive NOW, given that there's like 4 black people in the entire country.

Rufus

Just a little longer and people won't even know what a Discman was.

Anyway, I don't know how I found out about it, but I uses to put every CD game into a player to see if you could listen to the music that way.

were people really unaware of redbook audio? it doesn't work for all PSX games and is more common with games released earlier in the console's lifespan.

Muskweeto

There are quite a few PS1 games that can be played on a cd player, I think most games with any sort of recorded audio or Redbook audio can.

Edit: beaten.

Any ps1 or saturn game which stored it's music tracks as actual cd music, it works in a player.

It's nothing mind blowing IMO, games changed that later in the console life to stop people ripping or they used methods to compress the sound to save space.

Any ps1 or saturn game which stored it's music tracks as actual cd music, it works in a player.

It's nothing mind blowing IMO, games changed that later in the console life to stop people ripping or they used methods to compress the sound to save space.

Yeah, probably games just used more and more data and they needed the space.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Any game that had cd-audio music can do this. Track 1 was the data track and the rest was the music tracks.

Most games on PS1 were like this, especially the older ones. Check out the soundtracks from the Ridge, Wipeout and Destruction Derby series :)

Top Bottom