• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Clipper

It's not limited to PS1 games either, of course. I still have fond memories of discovering the hidden Warcraft II song when I decided to play the tracks on my CD player one day. I found it so mind blowing and hilarious at the time. I wonder if there are people that never found it, though...

Hmm, just noticed from the Youtube vid it may have been the expansion that had the track, not the game itself. Still, whichever disc it was, it was awesome.

RagnarokX

PWiey.png

Yea from reddit but this blew my mind.

I guess you don't remember being able to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnYKEaNvak

Myriadis

I think it also works for Driver, at least on PC. Or that was a special thing done by the gaming magazine, I don't know. I liked that soundtrack, but I can't find the disc anymore.

And one small thing here, about the Composer Brothers that appear in Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask,

Sharp the Elder

Flat the Younger

Are very likely based on Mario and Luigi. Flat, the younger one, is larger than Sharp and wears green, just like Luigi.
Sharp, the older ghost, wears red and is the smaller one, like Mario.
I like that one because these two were the more memorable characters in Ocarina of Time for me.

Re: The redblock audio thing. This reminds me (sorry this rambles on a tad).

The wording I like to use streamed if it is just a track played back. Like the CD tracks here. MP3s would also be the same.
Sequenced is the other way of doing it which is putting samples to a music sheet essentially. Important if you have more than 60 minutes of music (like say, Final Fantasy...plus you've got 400MB+ of FMV). You tend to be limited on resources (RAM to load sound effects into to make your music, number of channels) so audio quality does a hit (though these days if MP3s or whatever are low bitrate you're taking just as much of a hit going streamed).

These days streamed rules the roost though I assume like the DS, 3DS and opther handhelds have some use of sequenced music going on (DS has streamed formats too, for instance the CO themes in Advance Wars Days of Ruin are all streamed).

To be honest the more mindblowing thing for me (kinda related) was that the [Sega CD] Mega CD improves the Mega Drive sound capabilities enormously with as extra RAM and disc space for PCM samples and I think a few more sound channels too and hardly any games bothered to use it. The most noticeable example is Sonic CD. The past stages are all sequenced instead (which is why there is no US version of them as the reprogramming would take too long). Lying dormant on the disc are PCM samples for tunes that are only found in the present and future songs suggesting as some point in development it was going to be all sequenced but I guess they found themselves with ~500MB of space doing nothing and it would marginally improve loading times (and improve sound quality as its full CD quality now rather than whatever compromise you need to use on the PCM samples to fit them in RAM) to go streamed (as you don't have to load the sequence sheet or the sound samples for the BGM).

Any game that had cd-audio music can do this. Track 1 was the data track and the rest was the music tracks.
Also, data is normally silent or skipped but my parents have a CD player that tries to play it as music. What a horrid sound (its like disc based game crashes but worse).

Mike M

Nick N
The fact that people find the ability to play CD game redbook audio soundtracks in a CD player to be mind blowing makes me feel very old.

Gintamen

Two parties prayed to the holy Triforce, what followed was destruction. That's paranormal meta stuff.

I wish there were still some kind of gimmicks coming with games, not even easter eggs are prevailing anymore.

That reference to Mario & Luigi in OoT is brilliant, so that's a confirmation of who's the more devious of the two?

CorvoSol

Two parties prayed to the holy Triforce, what followed was destruction. That's paranormal meta stuff.

I wish there were still some kind of gimmicks coming with games, not even easter eggs are prevailing anymore.

That reference to Mario & Luigi in OoT is brilliant, so that's a confirmation of who's the more devious of the two?

I don't get it?

What I do get is that the argument on that page is hilarious. "I think there is no connection and the devs don't think about any timeline at all." Then Hyrule Hystoria happened. Tee hee.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
All this cd player talk reminded me when I put in a Dreamcast disk in my Saturn and a voice said "This is a Dreamcast disk" or something like that.

It's like I'm playing the future...

battle arena toshinden had the soundtrack plus a track that doesn't occur anywhere in the game. it's a very silly song with stereotypical "chinese" melodies and chanting, to this day i have no idea what it's purpose is and it's not on youtube. perhaps i have to fix that.

battle arena toshinden had the soundtrack plus a track that doesn't occur anywhere in the game. it's a very silly song with stereotypical "chinese" melodies and chanting, to this day i have no idea what it's purpose is and it's not on youtube. perhaps i have to fix that.

I know exactly what you are referencing, I used to bump the Tohshinden tracks in my stereo on occasion.

Jawmuncher

Did anyone mention the craziness of the Arc the Lad disc that could unlock all sorts of things in other games.

PSX CD Debug

On the Makeing of Arc the Lad CD, press Circle, Square, Circle 7 times and then Square. this will take you to a menu where you can look at the contents of a PSX CD.

Use the control pad to highlight and item, and X to run the selected file. To look at whats on another CD, replace the CD and press Start. This will change the screen and will show whats on the CD. From here, you can acess secrets, endings, or mini-games from the CD. Example: You can view the Babe Viewer on the Blasto CD.

CAUTION: While this is really cool, this can this can completely SCREW UP you memory card if you try to save your game with all that you've accessed. I would advise you to take out your memory card and do stuff

SAVE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Sony or anyone else dose not aprove of this because you are toying around with there games and you are responsable if any thing screwy happens.

I know exactly what you are referencing, I used to bump the Tohshinden tracks in my stereo on occasion.

aaaand done.

Did anyone mention the craziness of the Arc the Lad disc that could unlock all sorts of things in other games.

PSX CD Debug

On the Makeing of Arc the Lad CD, press Circle, Square, Circle 7 times and then Square. this will take you to a menu where you can look at the contents of a PSX CD.

Use the control pad to highlight and item, and X to run the selected file. To look at whats on another CD, replace the CD and press Start. This will change the screen and will show whats on the CD. From here, you can acess secrets, endings, or mini-games from the CD. Example: You can view the Babe Viewer on the Blasto CD.

CAUTION: While this is really cool, this can this can completely SCREW UP you memory card if you try to save your game with all that you've accessed. I would advise you to take out your memory card and do stuff

SAVE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Sony or anyone else dose not aprove of this because you are toying around with there games and you are responsable if any thing screwy happens.

Does this work on the PSN version?! o_0

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Street Fighter Alpha for PSX had also the music available for audio cd players.

This may have been posted already or just common knowledge.

Being an inferior American and having not grown up with the original music from Sonic CD, it came as quite a shock when I was recently playing Sonic 2 for Game Gear and got to Green Hills Zone and heard this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKehYLYP-A

It's Toot Toot Sonic Warrior!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3cFn6NneHA

Also, Sonic 2 for Game Gear came out the year before Sonic CD meaning Toot Toot Sonic Warrior isn't the original.

As the story goes, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD were supposed to be the same, or at least a similar type of game. Both games were to feature time travel in some form, and an early magazine even mention a "Sonic 2 CD" as the game's original name.

Sonic CD was originally supposed to launch in early 1992, ahead of Sonic 2 for the Genesis. That's why many of the game's mechanics (spindash, etc.) play like more janky versions of Sonic 2's, and why Sonic CD uses the Sonic 1 sprite. There's even a cheat code you can enter in Sonic CD that brings up artwork of Tails that says, "See you next game", referring to the fact that Sonic CD was finished and ready to go in 1992.

Sega felt Sonic 2 for the Genesis was more important than Sonic CD, and pushed Sonic CD well in to 1993 to fill the gap between Sonic 2 and 3 (along with a number of other spinoff games, like Sonic Spinball, etc.).

I always felt Sonic 2 for the Game Gear straddled the line between the two games. There's a boss in Sonic 2 GG that resembles a deleted scene from Sonic CD's FMV ending, for instance, and there's some weird low-res artwork in the Sonic 2 JP manual that looks like a Game Gear version of Sonic CD's intro FMV. Sonic 2 GG also involves Tails being kidnapped by Metal Sonic (instead of Amy Rose).

Jamie OD

Also in those games you could just switch the game cd for a music cd and it would play ingame, until it needed to load data again.

I remember the Monster Rancher games used that idea to let the players upload monsters from their CD collection, like a very early version of Skylanders.

Gravijah

PSX CD Debug

SAVE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

i swear there was another disc that did something similar. anyone remember which?

Dunan

I just watched it; congratulations on your first view and first 'like' for that video!

After successfully playing the Castlevania CD, I remember doing this for the Toshinden games long ago; borrowing them from a friend who was apoplectic that I'd try putting them in a CD player -- "You're going to mess them up!"

I can still see the look on his face when the "trick" worked!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To be honest, using redbook (CD) audio for games was so common in the 90s that I feel it almost doesn't really belong in this thread.

The general idea of it is an interesting fact, and it's certainly noteworthy if there was a secret track not found in the game (a la SotN), but there were countless games that let you do this.... let's NOT start listing them all.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, if we are talking about Red Book Audio, I can at least give one silly Easter egg thing I found out when I was ripping a bunch of music from PS1 games a few years back, the tracks in Namco Museum Volume 3 actually have Metadata from a record called "Don't Stop Movin'", by Livin' Joy. (Well, half of them, I don't know where the lifted the names for the other from)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livin'_Joy

namcoM3.jpg

Also, while I may be wrong, I believe the music tracks on the disc don't appear anywhere in the game, they are original songs based on the games featured in the collection (Though they may be burred in the extras).

If you guys have them, pop in some of the Namco Collections and see if the other 4 discs have similar things. Also, I think the disc I ripped was from the Non-GH version, but it has been a long time.

PWiey.png

Yea from reddit but this blew my mind.

It's not really all that mindblowing. A lot of old Sega CD games were like this too. Ecco the Dolphin, Earthworm Jim Special Edition, Sonic CD, Final Fight CD... Sewer Shark had a creepy hidden message with backwards chanting. .

Castlevania: SOTN has one bonus music track not found in the game along with a warning message from Alucard telling you to not play track one in a regular CD player because it contains computer data. But you probably won't listen to him anyway. AH Beaten!

Most old CD ROM games had red book audio media that streamed directly from the CD. It was very common.

dose

Maybe. Compare this and the quote of my post above.
Nah, I'm pretty sure the height of the towers is related to the size of the save file and not how long you play. I can't believe people didn't know about this btw, I'm positive I read about this on gaf when the PS2 was launched lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nah, I'm pretty sure the height of the towers is related to the size of the save file and not how long you play. I can't believe people didn't know about this btw, I'm positive I read about this on gaf when the PS2 was launched lol.

You did. I read it in Official PlayStation Magazine and the like. But time marches on and yesterday's common lore is tomorrow's mind-blowing fact.

Nibel

I think it also works for Driver, at least on PC. Or that was a special thing done by the gaming magazine, I don't know. I liked that soundtrack, but I can't find the disc anymore.

And one small thing here, about the Composer Brothers that appear in Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask,

Sharp the Elder

Flat the Younger

Are very likely based on Mario and Luigi. Flat, the younger one, is larger than Sharp and wears green, just like Luigi.
Sharp, the older ghost, wears red and is the smaller one, like Mario.
I like that one because these two were the more memorable characters in Ocarina of Time for me.

This is awesome!
Isn't Mario in almost every Zelda somehow? I remember him in Link's Awakening on the GB for example.

mclem

Well, if we are talking about Red Book Audio, I can at least give one silly Easter egg thing I found out when I was ripping a bunch of music from PS1 games a few years back, the tracks in Namco Museum Volume 3 actually have Metadata from a record called "Don't Stop Movin'", by Livin' Joy. (Well, half of them, I don't know where the lifted the names for the other from)

I didn't think CDs *had* any metadata - but lots of rippers would generate a disc ID from the information available to it and use that to look up on an online database such as CDDB. Could it be an ID collision?

SappYoda

It's not limited to PS1 games either, of course. I still have fond memories of discovering the hidden Warcraft II song when I decided to play the tracks on my CD player one day. I found it so mind blowing and hilarious at the time. I wonder if there are people that never found it, though...

Hmm, just noticed from the Youtube vid it may have been the expansion that had the track, not the game itself. Still, whichever disc it was, it was awesome.

Wow that's hilarious.

Gravijah

I didn't think CDs *had* any metadata - but lots of rippers would generate a disc ID from the information available to it and use that to look up on an online database such as CDDB. Could it be an ID collision?

it likely is. i've had it happen with other CDs in the past.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is awesome!
Isn't Mario in almost every Zelda somehow? I remember him in Link's Awakening on the GB for example.

aLttP: Mario portraits.
LA: Tarin
OoT: Talon and the picture in Hyrule Castle Courtyard.
OoT3D: Replaces the pictures with a 3D model of a NSMB level.
OoS, FSA, MC: Also Talon
MM: Mr. Barten (although he lacks the outfit colour reference) and a Mario mask on Happy Mask Salesman's bag

jaxword

aLttP: Mario portraits.
LA: Tarin
OoT: Talon and the picture in Hyrule Castle Courtyard.
OoT3D: Replaces the pictures with a 3D model of a NSMB level.
OoS, FSA, MC: Also Talon
MM: Mr. Barten (although he lacks the outfit colour reference) and a Mario mask on Happy Mask Salesman's bag

Did you know about this reference?

LCcaH.png

It says
Here lies Loto.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think I read it before, but I completely forgot about it.

gTgQ1.jpg

(NES version has Erdrick from Dragon Warrior, but the Famicom version said Link)

jaxword

I bet Hironobu is kicking himself for not making just ONE main character for FF1, because he would've been a legendary gaming name on par with Link and Erdrick/Loto and, yeah, probably even Belmont and Megaman.

Mael

Also in those games you could just switch the game cd for a music cd and it would play ingame, until it needed to load data again.

Even better, FFIV on the ps1 is small enough to be in the RAM of the PS1.
Boot the game, load everything and open the lid and remove the disc and the game will keep playing till you try to save on the memory card (quick save will work though).
Pretty awesome when you think about it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Boot the game, load everything and open the lid and remove the disc and the game will keep playing till you try to save on the memory card (quick save will work though).

Isn't this true for Animal Crossing GC also?

Jedi2016

The original Ridge Racer was like that. Once loaded, you could remove the disc and put your own music CD in. Custom soundtrack! It wasn't an accident, either, it was built right into the game, I think the manual even mentioned it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
As the story goes, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD were supposed to be the same, or at least a similar type of game. Both games were to feature time travel in some form, and an early magazine even mention a "Sonic 2 CD" as the game's original name.

Sonic CD was originally supposed to launch in early 1992, ahead of Sonic 2 for the Genesis. That's why many of the game's mechanics (spindash, etc.) play like more janky versions of Sonic 2's, and why Sonic CD uses the Sonic 1 sprite. There's even a cheat code you can enter in Sonic CD that brings up artwork of Tails that says, "See you next game", referring to the fact that Sonic CD was finished and ready to go in 1992.

Sega felt Sonic 2 for the Genesis was more important than Sonic CD, and pushed Sonic CD well in to 1993 to fill the gap between Sonic 2 and 3 (along with a number of other spinoff games, like Sonic Spinball, etc.).

I always felt Sonic 2 for the Game Gear straddled the line between the two games. There's a boss in Sonic 2 GG that resembles a deleted scene from Sonic CD's FMV ending, for instance, and there's some weird low-res artwork in the Sonic 2 JP manual that looks like a Game Gear version of Sonic CD's intro FMV. Sonic 2 GG also involves Tails being kidnapped by Metal Sonic (instead of Amy Rose).

Tails is kidnapped by Robotnik in Sonic 2 GG/MS, not Metal Sonic ;) What deleted scene in the Sonic CD ending are you thinking of, BTW?

As for PS1 games with music that was listenable via a CD player, Duke 3D had that too. And it had some really good remixes of the music from the PC version.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Some Dreamcast games had wallpapers when inserted into a PC CD-ROM drive. I remember Sonic Adventure had a few, as well as Sonic Shuffle.

Now this I didn't know, though I knew about the music stuff. Will have to try it out with a few games later.

I believe Warcraft 2 had a music track of some sort on it. Seems like I remember dance music with clips of units talking sampled in it.

::edit::
I'm a Medieval Man. Would post a link to YouTube or something but I'm on my phone and can't check to see if what I'm linking is correct or not.

The music that plays in Paper Mario's intro is based on the classic children's song "Inchworm".

Paper Mario Intro (resemblance becomes really obvious at 0:42): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4QUkMS41DnY#t=14s

Inchworm (Sesame Street version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W0lQ0bdcjfY#t=26s

I've held back on posting for quite a long time because it seems that every time someone posts a half-decent music comparison in this thread, people tear it to shreds for not being a note-for-note duplicate. So let me say first that this is not a note-for-note carbon copy of the same song. Obviously Yuka Tsujiyoko played with the melody a bit. But seeing as how Paper Mario begins with a children's book, it's a safe bet that a famous children's song like Inchworm was the inspiration for it's opening music.

EDIT: Youtube Doubler for extra proof: http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...v=W0lQ0bdcjfY&start2=27&authorName=meahwahwah

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this true for Animal Crossing GC also?

It is, I forgot if you could save or not, but it was a neat little feature. I guess if you had two Gamecubes but only one copy of the game then it would be a neat way to play it.

I remember the Monster Rancher games used that idea to let the players upload monsters from their CD collection, like a very early version of Skylanders.

Yep, the cool thing about this was even certain disks had special monsters. So for instance if you put in DOA1 it would get a Pixie monster that looked like Kasumi. I think there was one for the Little Mermaid soundtrack that would give you a mermaid monster. I remember there being quite a few unique ones, maybe some of those might be some interesting facts.

I'd say the prayer was more for protection, rather than destruction. The eyes are more used to display that Ganon took over and did some serious business on Hyrule. There is even translated text for it:

In fact the whole opening to Wind Waker is a frieze, so it is essentially supposed to set up the history of the series to that point. I think it was the first of the Zelda games to do that.(haven't played SS yet)

Some Dreamcast games had wallpapers when inserted into a PC CD-ROM drive. I remember Sonic Adventure had a few, as well as Sonic Shuffle.

Yep, DOA2 had some of the girls in bikinis. Not that I'd ever look at them or anything...

Also, while perusing through the internet I found out that Link was supposed to appear in Golden Sun 2. While not sure as what, there is a Link sprite in the source code for the game.

bDRV3.png

Sorry if that's some old news...

Top Bottom