• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

MNC

This might not be surprising but Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite SNES game and ever since I played this game many times and I never noticed this until now....

During the Metal Mantis boss fight you can see the floor that looks like a heart shape.

Does this have any significance in the game?

Haunted

Excuse me if this has already been posted:

ib26jSep8A0LZJ.png
Vaguely asinine music comparison! Playing Recettear the other day gave me Sonic 1 8-bit vibes.
This might not be surprising but Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite SNES game and ever since I played this game many times and I never noticed this until now....

During the Metal Mantis boss fight you can see the floor that looks like a heart shape.

I think we're officially scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Someone post some shitty Pokemon trivia to complete the failure.

Of course I'm scraping the barrel, that's why I said it was vaguely asinine.

I suppose one thing worthy of note is the hidden canaries in Sonic 2 8-bit. On Sky High Zone act 1, you have to make your way to the top left. There's a hidden 1-up there. If you run into it from the left, it causes canaries to spawn from the trees and run towards you. This is the only way to trigger it and it has no purpose at all. An interesting little easter egg.

Video.

bjork

haheha sorry, but this post killed me.

That damned level.

To contribute in some way, Black Belt for the Sega Master System is a re-skinned Fist of the North Star in the same way SMB2 was. The company that made the game lost the rights in the states.

Last Battle for the Genesis followed this as well.

We should hang out sometime.

Maybe dumb or maybe it is told already, but Dreamcast console counts till year 2085.

Did Sega know something that we didn't know?

Didn't check the other consoles, will check gamecube and ps2 other time...

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
Maybe dumb or maybe it is told already, but Dreamcast console counts till year 2085.

Did Sega know something that we didn't know?

Didn't check the other consoles, will check gamecube and ps2 other time...

It's probably to do with a full byte of data with whatever data type they were using. Think along the lines of why you can only have 255 rupees in The Legend of Zelda (because a full byte covers 00000000-11111111 which is 0 to 255 in base 2). So to save room, they only used one byte of data for the date, and however its configured that's their 255.

jaxword

Here, I'll reverse the trend for the Mana revelation:

okjOT.jpg

Early versions of Mana had a fairly different story, shown here with the entire crew fighting the first boss.

okjOT.jpg

Early versions of Mana had a fairly different story, shown here with the entire crew fighting the first boss.

Isnt the story already different because of the poor translation? I just remember that S-E didnt even give a proper script to the translators, when they translated it. They gave them some broken-ass english translation, that they had to correct.

If I remember correctly, that is.

jaxword

Isnt the story already different because of the poor translation? I just remember that S-E didnt even give a proper script to the translators, when they translated it. They gave them some broken-ass english translation, that they had to correct.

If I remember correctly, that is.

The translation was done by poor old Ted Woolsey, who is now famous for being forced to work under Nintendo censors AND a very limited timespan. So the changes he made to the story were a product of that era's policies.

Gravijah

http://i.imgur.com/okjOT.jpg[IMG]

Early versions of Mana had a fairly different story, shown here with the entire crew fighting the first boss.[/QUOTE]

i'm not sure you should look into that screenshot so much. they probably just wanted to show off the entire party.

Het_Nkik

I suppose one thing worthy of note is the hidden canaries in Sonic 2 8-bit. On Sky High Zone act 1, you have to make your way to the top left. There's a hidden 1-up there. If you run into it from the left, it causes canaries to spawn from the trees and run towards you. This is the only way to trigger it and it has no purpose at all. An interesting little easter egg.

Video.

What are the odds that those birds are supposed to be Rappies from the Phantasy Star series? I know there were Rappies in Phantasy Star III and that came out a good two years before Sonic 8-bit, and the way those birds run reminds of the way they run in PSO...

I'm probably reaching.

okjOT.jpg

Or the Mana Sword glitch ?_?

I made a PAR code long ago about that you change the Boy to any character in the game but I found one unused character that was cut from the game. The White Cloaked figure and Eileen had a different sprite.

I'll try to upload the image of him/her/it and Eileen.

Unknown cloaked figure with different pose. He/She/It has both arm raise but it's hard to capture it but I'll try to do that later. The unknown character data sprite is between Fanha and Sheex.

Eileen with hood and alternative version of Eileen.

What are the odds that those birds are supposed to be Rappies from the Phantasy Star series? I know there were Rappies in Phantasy Star III and that came out a good two years before Sonic 8-bit, and the way those birds run reminds of the way they run in PSO...

I'm probably reaching.
I think it's more likely that they're the yellow birds from Flicky, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

To expand on that because I didn't know there were people who never realized this

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are characters described in the last book of the Bible - the Book of Revelation, which itself is a book in the Bible that prophecises future events including the apocalypse. The four horsemen symbolize four aspects of destruction, specifically; Famine, Death, War, and Pestilence and the horsemen are commonly named as such.

So the main protagonist in Darksiders is War, the main protagonist in Darksiders II is Death. Don't ask me why they called the other two horsemen in that game Fury and Strife, but I'm guessing because Famine and Pestilence are pretty piss poor character names... or maybe they explained it somehow (I never actually played the game)

There is no Horseman of Pestilence- the rider of the White Horse is Conquest,which is pretty damn badass.

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come and see!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

— Revelation 6:1-2˄ NIV

There is no Horseman of Pestilence- the rider of the White Horse is Conquest,which is pretty damn badass.

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come and see!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

Lambs can't open things.

The translation was done by poor old Ted Woolsey, who is now famous for being forced to work under Nintendo censors AND a very limited timespan. So the changes he made to the story were a product of that era's policies.

Has there ever been a proper retranslation of the original text? I know there's a ROM hack out there but it's just based from the already shitty US version, just rewritten to make it sound less like ass.

Yeah, I think you're right, "Pestilence" is an ecclesiastical interpretation... I think it's more common in pop culture references for some reason. That being said, pop culture fucks it up all the time - all the Westerns I used to watch (Tombstone, Pale Rider, etc) referenced Death as riding upon the Pale horse. Even though I think it's suppose to be Conquest or Pestilence.

Yeah, I think you're right, "Pestilence" is an ecclesiastical interpretation... I think it's more common in pop culture references for some reason. That being said, pop culture fucks it up all the time - all the Westerns I used to watch (Tombstone, Pale Rider, etc) referenced Death as riding upon the Pale horse. Even though I think it's suppose to be Conquest or Pestilence.
Pale != White iirc

Wiki

Nairume

Banned
Has there ever been a proper retranslation of the original text? I know there's a ROM hack out there but it's just based from the already shitty US version, just rewritten to make it sound less like ass.
Nope, just the one font/revision patch.

Though, it turns out there was an attempt to retranslate the script itself, and the guy doing it was just making random notes about it on GameFAQs. For what it's worth, he had this to say pretty early on in his translation notes.

I don't know the first thing about ROM hacking/patch writing, so unless I actually do finish and someone down the line wants to make it into a patch, it'll pretty much just stay "on paper".

Having given the whole Japanese script a quick once-over, I don't think those of us playing the NA version lost *quite* as much as we thought. Some nuances and curiosities were lost, but in many cases the English is just a more concise and less flowery telling of the information contained in the original. At worst, we lost some of the flavor of the original script. My respect for Ted Woolsey has only increased; he did an excellent job considering he was working against severe time constraints, and censorship, AND technical limitations.

Keep in mind, as the game was originally supposed to be on a CD, even the Japanese version was scaled down from what was originally envisioned. The large amount of content that was cut in the process of cramming the game into a cartridge will remain lost to the ages, unfortunately.

So bottom line, it appears as though very little in terms of actual plot was lost in translation. Still, I'll continue work at this bit by bit for anyone curious about the original wording.

Personal thought: As you know, they changed the "temples" to "palaces" in keeping with NOA's policy against religious references. "Palace" rolls off the tongue just fine, though I'm reminded that many other Square RPGs of the day used the term "shrine". Does that, too, not have religious connotations? My guess is that Woolsey was playing it as safe as possible.

Nope, just the one font/revision patch.

Though, it turns out there was an attempt to retranslate the script itself, and the guy doing it was just making random notes about it on GameFAQs. For what it's worth, he had this to say pretty early on in his translation notes.

Well, on one hand I guess the US version wasn't that much of a loss. On the other, it's really a shame so much had to be cut even from the Japanese version.

If there's any game I want a remake of, it's Secret of Mana. I'd love the game to get a re-imagining on the Vita/3DS, complete with all the plot details and content that had to be cut.

Andrew J.

Conquest/Pestilence=White

War=Red

Famine=Black

Death=Green (which is associated with death in Greek but not English, so got changed to "pale")

Kirk

Ok, then maybe this will be more interesting: Mana was originally considered for the NES:

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/secret-of-mana-nes/

Note this is, like, a beta-beta version, so it's completely different than what we got in almost every way.

Just to be clear, it was Seiken Densetsu, AKA Final Fantasy Adventure, that was originally planned as a Famicom Disc System game. Seiken Densetsu 2, AKA Secret of Mana, was originally planned as a SNES CD-ROM game.

The FDS version wasn't so much a beta version as a completely different, cancelled game. They just re-used the name.

ReyVGM

All these years I always thought the Game Boy version of Duck Tales was just a mere port of the NES version, but my mind was blown when I learned how mistaken I was. While the story and theme is the same, the level design is completely different. It's like playing a remixed version of the NES original.

iirate

I was just playing through that part the a week or so ago, and I must've played the game a dozen times when it first came out. Good catch!

Top Bottom