• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Pac-Man's eyes are actually shaped like pac-men/pac-man's.

Pac-Man_World_2_Coverart.png

I didn't know this. Awesome!

womp

As an old school gamer (I'm an old fart), this wasn't a shock to me because....

Pac-Man's eyes have been like that since he debuted. :)

puckman.jpg
Pac-Land_PCE_A.jpg

I had this as a kid...It uses the more common at the time American Pac-Man logo.

Pac-Man_BoardGame.jpg

And a Super Pac-Man arcade machine...

cabinet.jpg

Unfortunately the art can bit really all over the place though in general. No offense but I think it is funny it took a *GameCube* game for this to be noticed since he's been like that since birth....heh

you guys seriously didnt see the pac-man eyes thing?

I know, right.

It's not even a Pac-Man specific thing, that's a traditional feature of old cartoons in general. I always notice it because it annoys me since it's a really weird way to draw a highlight.

They've even been commonly called "Pac-Man eyes."

gcAFG.png

UqfJF.gif

In other words it's almost definitely not intentional that it's a similar shape as his head, that's just one way to draw old-timey cartoon eyes.

In other words it's almost definitely not intentional that it's a similar shape as his head, that's just one way to draw old-timey cartoon eyes.

That doesn't follow at all. Any cartoon artist could tell you that this type of eyes existed pre-Pac-Man, but that doesn't mean it was an accident that Pac-Man has them. I imagine the artist that drew him not only used that type on purpose, but thought it was pretty clever to do so. I know I would have.

Also, the traditional way to draw them (or any highlight) is facing the same direction. Pac-Man's are normally facing opposite of each other. Again, probably not an accident.

That doesn't follow at all. Any cartoon artist could tell you that this type of eyes existed pre-Pac-Man, but that doesn't mean it was an accident that Pac-Man has them. I imagine the artist that drew him not only used that type on purpose, but thought it was pretty clever to do so. I know I would have.

Also, the traditional way to draw them (or any highlight) is facing the same direction. Pac-Man's are normally facing opposite of each other. Again, probably not an accident.

Why would the eyes facing opposite each other imply that they're meant to symbolize his body shape, but oh, if they're facing the same way then it looks nothing like him?

I have no doubt that over time they've realized that his eyes look like his body, but I see no reason to assume one way or the other that he was drawn that way originally for this express purpose.

If it wasn't intentional, he wouldn't still have those eyes here in the distant future world of 2012.

His pointy eyebrows and long nose aren't shaped like his body either, so why does he still have those? It's just because they've been resistant to redesigning the character.

Axiology

No kidding.

Dot Gobbler is exempt though.

dot_gobbler1.jpg

One of the most horrifying pictures ever drawn.

It's like this fatty who is forced to gorge himself to death by ghosts only he can see. Look at that torment on his face.

Also, eww at that "new" Pac-Man. Pac-World 2 ftw.
It's like they decided he wasn't accessible enough so they gave him Mario eyes and Sonic (Adventure) shoes :(

Roto13

His pointy eyebrows and long nose aren't shaped like his body either, so why does he still have those? It's just because they've been resistant to redesigning the character.

They've modernized every retro thing about him except the shape of his eyes. They haven't been "resistant to redesigning the character." Scroll up a bit and see.

Het_Nkik

It's like this fatty who is forced to gorge himself to death by ghosts only he can see. Look at that torment on his face.

It's like they decided he wasn't accessible enough so they gave him Mario eyes and Sonic (Adventure) shoes :(

I see at as he needs to run away from these ghosts in order to live, but he's such a glutton he can't stop eating long enough to flee. And even the ghosts are frowning at such a sad site.

They've modernized every retro thing about him except the shape of his eyes. They haven't been "resistant to redesigning the character." Scroll up a bit and see.

...Are you kidding? I was going to PM you because people don't want to read pedantic arguments but seriously now.

Just about everything is the same about him EXCEPT his eyes. They keep the Pac-Man shape but are colored in now.

h1jSU.jpg

He still has unadorned orange gloves and even a round "connector" where his arms attach to his body. I specifically mentioned the nose and eyebrows but looking closer, the only differences are colored eyes and more detailed shoes.

Roto13

...Are you kidding? I was going to PM you because people don't want to read pedantic arguments but seriously now.

Just about everything is the same about him EXCEPT his eyes. They keep the Pac-Man shape but are colored in now.

h1jSU.jpg

He still has unadorned orange gloves and even a round "connector" where his arms attach to his body. I specifically mentioned the nose and eyebrows but looking closer, the only differences are colored eyes and more detailed shoes.

He's a very simple character. His nose is completely different, as are his shoes, and even his eyes are more animu-styled but for some reason they kept the 30s-style shape to the eyes. Probably because 30s-style eyes look like Pac-Man. Mickey Mouse doesn't still have Pac-Man eyes, nor do any of the (few) characters from that era who are still around.

UncleSporky said:
Why would the eyes facing opposite each other imply that they're meant to symbolize his body shape, but oh, if they're facing the same way then it looks nothing like him?

Because, by breaking with the norm of highlighting both eyes the same way (ie. realistically, even though it's a cartoon), they're emphasizing that shape. Reversing the highlight for one eye is very weird.

UncleSporky said:
I see no reason to assume one way or the other that he was drawn that way originally for this express purpose.

But you did assume one way or the other. You said:

UncleSporky said:
it's almost definitely not intentional

I say otherwise. It's almost definitely intentional.

Color version is far more sympathetic.
lvpV5.jpg

This might be obvious as hell, and I'm sure it's been lurking in the back of my mind forever, but I just fully realized the other day that Isaac Clarke's name is probably a reference/tribute to Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke.

Isaac-Clarke.png
=
arthur-c-clarke.jpg
+
isaac-asimov.jpg

Top Bottom