• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Chopper

For me, I had a friend who was a pretty compulsive liar. He told me about the trick (up/down on the d-pad while standing on the barrel) and I figured he was just bullshitting me.
I have no idea how people found that hard. Even in a worst case scenario, just press every button!

I have no idea how people found that hard. Even in a worst case scenario, just press every button!

It's weird because the first time I reached it I figured it out, then on my next replay I got stumped like everyone else despite having you know, done it before.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that in the whole 2D series, up is NEVER used except for that fucking part. So no one would imagine they have to press it, followed by down, and then repeat the sequence to move the damn barrel unless they get lucky. It completely changed the mechanics of the game without prior warning, and that's as bad design as it ever could be.

The problem is that in the whole 2D series, up is NEVER used except for that fucking part. So no one would imagine they have to press it, followed by down, and then repeat the sequence to move the damn barrel unless they get lucky. It completely changed the mechanics of the game without prior warning, and that's as bad design as it ever could be.

Well if you press down first then it's not that hard to figure out...

BHZ Mayor

It also didn't help that the first thing you were likely to try was jumping, and jumping "kinda sorta" worked, but it wasn't enough to get you through.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well if you press down first then it's not that hard to figure out...
Well, I'll concede that you could discover it that way, if you try it long enough. But the most reasonable thing is to expect the player will try jumping, maybe mixing it with ducking, which won't get him anywhere.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just recently learned about this.

The need to blow air into cartridges on the original NES was due to DRM.

http://nesdev.com/NES hardware development guide.txt

Basically, the NES console contained a chip called CIC which would try to perform a handshake with a corresponding chip on the game cart. If it didn't succeed, the system wouldn't boot and you'd get the blinking power light.

This was to make it much harder for people to build unauthorized carts, but unfortunately it made loading carts a lot more dodgy as the smallest amount of dust would cause the check to fail.

You can actually disable this check by clipping the right pin in the console:

MMVYg.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Basically, the NES console contained a chip called CIC which would try to perform a handshake with a corresponding chip on the game cart. If it didn't succeed, the system wouldn't boot and you'd get the blinking power light.

This was to make it much harder for people to build unauthorized carts, but unfortunately it made loading carts a lot more dodgy as the smallest amount of dust would cause the check to fail.

MMVYg.jpg

Wait, there's a CHIP inside the NES that tries to talk to the Cartidge, to verify it's an actual valid NES Cartridge. Because of dust (on the cart), talking to it is, sometimes, not possible, which makes the game not boot.

To fix that, we blow on the cartridge (in turn, removing dust from the cart), which allows proper communication between the cart and the console.

By removing this check on the console hardware size, we wouldn't have to blow on cartridges anymore?

But if what prevents this is dust on the contacts, which means the cartridge can't be read, how will you load the actual game code from an unreadable cartridge, since it's covered with dust?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wait, there's a CHIP inside the NES that tries to talk to the Cartidge, to verify it's an actual valid NES Cartridge. Because of dust (on the cart), talking to it is, sometimes, not possible, which makes the game not boot.

To fix that, we blow on the cartridge (in turn, removing dust from the cart), which allows proper communication between the cart and the console.

By removing this check on the console hardware size, we wouldn't have to blow on cartridges anymore?

But if what prevents this is dust on the contacts, which means the cartridge can't be read, how will you load the actual game code from an unreadable cartridge, since it's covered with dust?

Too much dust could still cause problems sure, but the contacts can still look relatively clean and the damn thing can still fail to boot. I'm guessing removing the check would mean those types of issues wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Cheerilee

There was no "need" to blow on your cartridges. There was a need to have clean contacts. Blowing on them was a quick fix that shortened the life of your carts and systems, "forcing you" to blow on them with increasing frequency.

The slow fix, storing your carts appropriately and cleaning them on occasion, is safer and easier than modding your hardware to increase it's tolerance for corrupted data.

Makes sense given the developer's name.
....really?
It's clever. You unscramble some clues to get a secret password that lets you proceed. The password turns out to be "THE WORLD IS SQUARE" in reverse. The game character ponders it's depth for a moment.

The world map is a square. The world (in FF6) is not round, as the characters are likely to believe, it's flat, and square. It's a shocking scientific truth.

And the world is also Square. It's a shocking metaphysical/spiritual truth. The game character (if they fully understood it's meaning) is hit with a double-mindblow.

jarosh

MMVYg.jpg

Too much dust could still cause problems sure, but the contacts can still look relatively clean and the damn thing can still fail to boot. I'm guessing removing the check would mean those types of issues wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Nonsense, the blinking power-up LED and failure to boot still happens even with a disabled CIC. The problem is with the front-loading design and the shitty 72-pin connectors, whose pins degrade rapidly and make poor contact with the carts to begin with. Replacing the connector is the only surefire way to prevent the blinking from happening. The NES fails to start up if *any* of the connectors don't make proper contact. Disabling the NES' CIC, the 10NES chip, has very little effect on this.

Dunan

It's clever. You unscramble some clues to get a secret password that lets you proceed. The password turns out to be "THE WORLD IS SQUARE" in reverse. The game character ponders it's depth for a moment.

The world map is a square. The world (in FF6) is not round, as the characters are likely to believe, it's flat, and square. It's a shocking scientific truth.

And the world is also Square. It's a shocking metaphysical/spiritual truth. The game character (if they fully understood it's meaning) is hit with a double-mindblow.

I liked that puzzle but never knew why they changed it from the original when Ted Woolsey translated the game. In the original, it's just "Dear friend, rest in peace." (ともよやすらかに)

Het_Nkik

Replacing the connector is the only surefire way to prevent the blinking from happening. The NES fails to start up if *any* of the connectors don't make proper contact. Disabling the NES' CIC, the 10NES chip, has very little effect on this.

I replaced my 72 pin connector a good... I don't know, 6 years ago? Still works perfect. Haven't had to blow or fidget with carts in a long time. Feels good.

MMVYg.jpg
There was never a need to blow into NES carts.

The real cause of blinking light in 99% of cases was some of the pins in the 72 pin ZIF (zero insertion force) connector were bent and not making contact with the cart. This was unavoidable with the original 72 pin connectors based on usage of the console; each time you inserted a cart and pressed down, the pins would bend and eventually lose tension, making contact spotty and causing the flashing lights.

NES consoles can be restored to working, like-new status by replacing the original 72 pin connector with an OEM that is much, much tighter (puts a death grip on the cart).

edit:
Nonsense, the blinking power-up LED and failure to boot still happens even with a disabled CIC. The problem is with the front-loading design and the shitty 72-pin connectors, whose pins degrade rapidly and make poor contact with the carts to begin with. Replacing the connector is the only surefire way to prevent the blinking from happening. The NES fails to start up if *any* of the connectors don't make proper contact. Disabling the NES' CIC, the 10NES chip, has very little effect on this.
This. Exactly.

jaxword

Heh. Wonder if any kids reading that would even get the gag.

Wonder if any kids read it in the first place, actually...

Judging from the letters pages, it seems rather popular with the kids' market.

I suspect it's a lot of late 30s/40s Nintendo nerds buying it for their kids.

Which is fine by me, the more Megaman, the better.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

MMVYg.jpg
But... but... blowing the carts was half the fun of playing NES games!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
In Assassin's Creed Revelations; Ezio takes on a ship in Istanbul and arrives to Cappadocia by the same ship. The weird part is there's no sea, river, canal, or river anywhere near Cappadocia.

Here is an overall map:
SgfxC.jpg

It's a mystery how anyone can travel there by a ship
Maybe he used his magical space apple.

jaxword

Or you know, any Mega Man... I still cling to the hope that someone at Capcom someday realizes that a Mega Man fighting game like Power Stone would be insanely awesome...

Keep buying the comic. It's an easy way to show Capcom the western audiences are profitable.

In fact it may be the ONLY way.

Rlan

Keep buying the comic. It's an easy way to show Capcom the western audiences are profitable.

In fact it may be the ONLY way.

The Sonic comic was pretty much the ONLY thing Sonic fans had during the Saturn days. Cartoons finished, a compilation, a racing game and a port of an Megadrive game? Desperate times, man.

"Listen, listen! I heard that Brycen was in the movies a long time ago!"

- Little girl in Icirrus City, Pokemon Black/White

And in Black/White 2 he is actually in the Pokewood event where you make movies.

ReyVGM

Stupid Archie Comics... everyone knows it was Dr. Wily who was controlling the alien converted from a fake Dr. Wily.

CorvoSol

I hate to burst the donut world theory, but the worlds of Final Fantasy Four and Five, at the very least, are most definitely round. You see "The Blue Planet" from space, I think. Even if you don't, all its moons are round, and when summoning Bahamut in the DS version, the entire Solar System is displayed as spherical. In FF5 there are globes everywhere.

Roto13

I hate to burst the donut world theory, but the worlds of Final Fantasy Four and Five, at the very least, are most definitely round. You see "The Blue Planet" from space, I think. Even if you don't, all its moons are round, and when summoning Bahamut in the DS version, the entire Solar System is displayed as spherical. In FF5 there are globes everywhere.

Yeah, but the actual, functional world is still a donut. You can't walk around the sphere you see in those cutscenes.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
"Listen, listen! I heard that Brycen was in the movies a long time ago!"

- Little girl in Icirrus City, Pokemon Black/White

And in Black/White 2 he is actually in the Pokewood event where you make movies.

One of the GameFreak interviews released around Black and White mentioned this too, even saying that Brycen abandoned his Movie Star Career due to Alder's influence.

There was other stuff like Grimsley was actually from a rich family, but lost all his money gambling...in the actual game, this is never mentioned, but he does have one line involving flipping a coin, and his color scheme resembles a roulette, and the fact he doesn't wear socks is symbolic. Also he's based on a vampire, and Shauntal a werewolf.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ah, I just beat the Elite 4 yesterday, I remember the line about flipping a coin. How do we know about his socks?

The interview said that.

I can't find it right now, but one of the staff members was like "pay attention to the fact he doesn't wear socks."

I guess the implication is he gambled them away?

MNC

I'm afraid I don't quite grasp which part you're saying is amazing, but yeah, it's pretty good with the in-jokes and fan winks.

I think it's quite awesome there's a current Archie comic about Mega Man 2 that has pretty good art and all the in-jokes (Metal Blade is OP etc)

Stupid Archie Comics... everyone knows it was Dr. Wily who was controlling the alien converted from a fake Dr. Wily.

So the alien hologram at the end of Mega Man 2 was converted from...a fake Dr. Wily? As opposed to being controlled by the real Dr. Wily Huh? This is probably some kind of weird joke that went right over my head, but please explain yourself.

ReyVGM

So the alien hologram at the end of Mega Man 2 was converted from...a fake Dr. Wily? As opposed to being controlled by the real Dr. Wily Huh? This is probably some kind of weird joke that went right over my head, but please explain yourself.

It's not a joke. When you enter the last boss' room, you see (a fake) Dr. Wily turning into the alien. But after you defeat it, you see that it was Dr. Wily controlling everything in that dark room. So, this is the only (original series) Megaman game where the last boss is not Dr. Wily. Contrary to popular belief that the last boss has always been Dr. Wily.

They did the same thing in MM4/5/6 with the Cossack/Protoman/Mr.X bit, but instead of ending the game right there after revealing it was Wily controlling everything, you just went to the real last stage in the game.

Top Bottom