• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Cheerilee

english isn't my first language and when I played it for the first time I was young.
So I just looked at her polygonal model and always thought she was a he.

Your English may have been better than you knew, because "Jessie" is a gender-neutral name. It can be used for boys as well.

Platy

That's nothing: they're also both part of Namco's UGSF series, which puts them in the same continuity as Ace Combat, Xevious, Galaxian, etc. Possibly even games like Xevious and Tales of Eternia.

,...not sure if you understood xD

My mind was blown that the mostly pink character is the SON and not the DAUGHTER

RoadDogg

...yes =x

You know those games whose names makes no sense ?

It took me a while to understood why the first Super Mario Bros was named that way since you could only play with Mario ....

You can play as Luigi in 2 player. I guess if you never played or heard of Mario Bros prior to SMB it could be confusing.

You can catch a female Mr. Mime in Pokemon.

Japan -> US translations aren't always impeccable.

Mr. Driller is called Mr. Driller in Japan.

Roto13

WN4LoXB.png

The first ever appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog in a video game was in the arcade game Rad Mobile, as an air freshener or ornament or something. It came out about two months before Sonic 1 on Genesis.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
http://i.imgur.com/WN4LoXB.png

The first ever appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog in a video game was in the arcade game Rad Mobile, as an air freshener or ornament or something. It came out about two months before Sonic 1 on Genesis.

Not-that-Interesting fact: Back in the early 2000's, the local arcade had one of those machines and NOBODY EVER PLAYED IT.

I knew about the Sonic thing and decided to play the game, only because of that factor. I didn't like the game that much, but then the hydraulics broke and I had to play it leaning sideways for like 10 minutes.

Cool story bro

Platy

Maybe I was confusing with Drill Dozer ... or maybe it just the pink color and I was like "yeah it is another game of a franchise called Mr Driller" =P

WN4LoXB.png

Kinda poetic considering Mario first appearencce also wasn't on a Mario game xD

Koren

Kinda poetic considering Mario first appearencce also wasn't on a Mario game xD
And if you put aside Donkey Kong were initially it was named Jumpman and not Mario, in its first game with the name Mario, DK Jr if I'm not mistaken, he's... the bad guy ^_^

Alienous

Not exactly a mind-blowing fact but I wasn't able to prove this until today so I gotta share it!

Major Minor, the feline protagonist from the unbelievably shitty Wii game Major Minor's Majestic March, was originally a human! I told my friend about it but he didn't believe me so I scoured the internet for a picture... but surprisingly enough I found NOTHING! So I decided to dig through my old issues of Nintendo Power for proof...

Congrats, you are 90% more of an investigative journalist than pretty much all of the reporters in the gaming industry today.

Not-that-Interesting fact: Back in the early 2000's, the local arcade had one of those machines and NOBODY EVER PLAYED IT.

I knew about the Sonic thing and decided to play the game, only because of that factor. I didn't like the game that much, but then the hydraulics broke and I had to play it leaning sideways for like 10 minutes.

Cool story bro

Fun fact:

Radmobile was the most popular arcade game in Encino, California during the early to mid 90's. Especially among those in high school.

Radmobile.

G-Fex

Fun fact:

Radmobile was the most popular arcade game in Encino, California during the early to mid 90's. Especially among those in high school.

Radmobile.

Which is a coincidence since I remember it from Encino Man.

I had no idea it was a real game.

Also I have one neat fact or secret.

If you get one of the endings in Resident Evil 1 where barry merely knocks out wesker then goes with jill to see tyrant. If you come out and revisit the power room you'll find Wesker's dead body beside the triggering system for the bomb.

He was killed by Chimera monsters

Camjo-Z

Congrats, you are 90% more of an investigative journalist than pretty much all of the reporters in the gaming industry today.

That's a little dramatic, don't you think...
it's more like 89%

Also I just thought of something... in the Grand Theft Auto games, when you die, you always restart outside of a hospital. But how does this make any sense? If you're dead, even a hospital wouldn't be able to revive you... UNLESS...

GTA takes place in an alternate universe where medical technology has advanced to the point where humans can be resurrected after premature death!!

Ocaso

Also I just thought of something... in the Grand Theft Auto games, when you die, you always restart outside of a hospital. But how does this make any sense? If you're dead, even a hospital wouldn't be able to revive you...

Technically they can. That's the whole purpose of CPR which, though not as effective in real life as in the media, does provide the possibility of bringing someone back from death when performed correctly. That said, the chances of this happening if you have an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest are near zero, so GTA's doctors are either hella good, or hella fast.

Also, it's a videogame.

MCN

Banned
Also, it's a videogame.

I think we all know that's the real answer here. Same reason Mario just starts back at the beginning of a level or at a checkpoint after falling down a bottomless pit, or why hiding behind cover somehow causes mortal wounds to heal in seconds in most games today.

Camjo-Z

Technically they can. That's the whole purpose of CPR which, though not as effective in real life as in the media, does provide the possibility of bringing someone back from death when performed correctly.

I'd like to see someone try and perform CPR on a Russian dude who just leaped out of a helicopter 5000 feet in the air and get a positive result!

(also i hope no one thought i was actually serious with that theory)

This one is more of an easter egg, but here goes anyway:

In Kirby Super Star, there's a very, very, VERY slim chance that when using the Stone ability, it will turn Kirby into a
Mario Statue
or into a
Samus Statue.

I wasted 15 minutes trying to do this exact thing yesterday, no joke.

Platy

Also I just thought of something... in the Grand Theft Auto games, when you die, you always restart outside of a hospital. But how does this make any sense? If you're dead, even a hospital wouldn't be able to revive you... UNLESS...

GTA takes place in an alternate universe where medical technology has advanced to the point where humans can be resurrected after premature death!!

zzv0cuE.png

In Kirby Super Star, there's a very, very, VERY slim chance that when using the Stone ability, it will turn Kirby into a
Mario Statue
or into a
Samus Statue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmVEvulLJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQj3D0TTcs

I wonder if Return To Dreamland has any rare drop like this ... the amount of stones is awesome ! It even has a Smash Bros trophy xD

edit :

Has LOTS of trophys, HAL logo and a sprite ! =O

Zertez

Not really a video game fact, but a reference to one. I had to reset Netflix on my friends Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player. To reset it, you had to enter Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up. I thought it was a funny shout out to the old Konami code.

baphomet

It's not a big deal, but to this day I know a code that I've never seen mentioned before anywhere. And unfortunately I'd have to see the instruction manual to remember it.

It's for Criticom for the PS1 (never tried it on the Saturn), and it upgrades all the characters to level 3. I figured it out by entering the developers in the back on the manual in the password section. It was one of the first 3 if my memory serves correct, but I would remember if someone has a scan of it.

Not that anyone cares, but its an unknown code for a horrible game that's 18 years old. Figured I'd throw that out there just because.

whitehawk

Banned

Mario Statue
or into a
Samus Statue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmVEvulLJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQj3D0TTcs
Me and my friend got the
Mario one once. We paused at the spot for quite a while lol. Never got Samus. I wonder what the chances are to get those statues. Less than 1%? Getting the naked man is probably 5-10%.

jaxword

I'm almost done my article on obscure FF facts. Taken me a lot of my spare time over this term, hope people will enjoy it. A small preview: which FF had the first vocal sample? Hint: It wasn't One Winged Angel.

Older than the internet. But he isn't even dying, they just slapped him on top of the background. He is literally on top of everything, including the wall. He is also at the wrong angle.

mQFAGFul.jpg

I'm almost done my article on obscure FF facts. Taken me a lot of my spare time over this term, hope people will enjoy it. A small preview: which FF had the first vocal sample? Hint: It wasn't One Winged Angel.

FFVI?

FFVI had "Approaching Sentiment", an infamous choral track sung by the development team on the Final Fantasy VI Special Tracks album. But as far as I know it wasn't something that was written to actually appear in the game (similar to the earlier vocal tracks released on FFIII, FFIV and FFV albums).

I'd say Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals, the 1994 FF anime.

STHX

It seems there is a very obscure sidequest in Final Fantasy IX Disc 4 which nets you a Protect Ring if completed. It requires you to keep coming back to Linblum after each cutscene or boss battle in Memoria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYMDCuS_lA

This was reported by a GameFAQS user which found it by reading the Ultimania guide.

Top Bottom