• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

It seems there is a very obscure sidequest in Final Fantasy IX Disc 4 which nets you a Protect Ring if completed. It requires you to keep coming back to Linblum after each cutscene or boss battle in Memoria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYMDCuS_lA

This was reported by a GameFAQS user which found it by reading the Ultimania guide.

Wait, one of the brothers was named Penero?

In Japanese that would be equivalent to FF12's Penelo!

Ovid

Old but fun.

IwU9I0B.jpeg

As most know, Akira was originally Shenmue's protagonist.
What???

Is this for real? Shenmue is a prequel to Virtua Fighter?

Erigu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYMDCuS_lA
This was reported by a GameFAQS user which found it by reading the Ultimania guide.
So it was mentioned in the Ultimania, and yet they call it "newly discovered"... Okay.

Wait, one of the brothers was named Penero?
In Japanese that would be equivalent to FF12's Penelo!
Nope. In Final Fantasy IX, Penero's name was spelled "ペネロ / penero". In Final Fantasy XII, Penelo's name is spelled "パンネロ / pannero".

Ovid

Shenmue was SUPPOSED to be a prequel to Virtua Fighter kinda sorta.
Early Saturn version screenshots showed Akira as the main character instead of Ryo.
The latter is heavily based on the former, though.
So today it's considered a standalone franchise with the characters being unrelated?

So it was mentioned in the Ultimania, and yet they call it "newly discovered"... Okay.

The gap between what the Japanese FF fanbase knows and what the rest of the FF fans knows is immense. For instance, the FFX Scenario Ultimania plainly states that Tidus was originally an undead plumber, but since a large majority of Ultimania interviews have never been translated by anyone, the general English fanbase didn't know it until two years ago.

Pretty much, Virtua Fighter is just a game franchise in Shenmue's world. You can even buy VF merchandise in the game.

It's a bit anachronistic, though. Shenmue is set in the 80's, almost none of the Sega game characters you get out of capsule machines existed at that time. :p Nor should Ryo own a Sega Saturn.

There's still some references to Shenmue being Virtua Fighter, though, beyond just Ryo being Akira. Lan Di bears more than a passing resemblance to Lau Chan. I also recall there's some fighting tournaments in Shenmue 2 when you get to Kowloon, and some of the fighters in that have Virtua Fighter analogs. I haven't been to that part in ages, though, so I can't be any more specific than that and Google is of no help.

But yeah. Here's some CG art Sega put out for Virtua Fighter 2, showing Akira

Bag9Mf7.jpg
8FUFeQy.jpg

And here's a screencap of the very first Shenmue teaser (back when it was called "Project Berkley" in 1998)

S6WxUP0.jpg

They have the same arm bands, and white-shirt Akira is likely the same model Ryo uses in the Project Berkley teaser :p

Nakayumi

I just stumbled across this little fact and it blew my mind. Apparently the name Wario, is a portmanteau of 悪い (warui, bad) and Mario. No idea why the thought never crossed my mind as a someone who studies the Japanese language, but it's a pretty clever pun nonetheless.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I just stumbled across this little fact and it blew my mind. Apparently the name Wario, is a portmanteau of 悪い (warui, bad) and Mario. No idea why the thought never crossed my mind as a someone who studies the Japanese language, but it's a pretty clever pun nonetheless.

Something I just found out from a recent Miyamoto interview: Mario's brother was named Luigi due to the japanese word "ruiji" which means "similar". It never ends with these dudes!

Mael

Wasn't the ending of Pikmin 2 showing Louie traveling the planet and encountering various other species and even showing that the planet wasn't deserted or after an apocalypse but really just another scale altogether?

Actually it's even better. It's an anagram of the word "ijiwarui" 意地悪い (meaning ill-natured, mean, nasty, sadistic, cruel, mean-spirited). That makes a great pun with the Ruiji name.

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
But everyone knows that 3D Realms is notorious for using assets of other games (without asking):
DukeNukem3d-DoomedSpaceMarine.png

I thought id at the time was part of Apogee or Apogee licensed id's games during that time.

After looking, it looks like the relationship ended while Doom was in development. So maybe they weren't so far off on the not asking part and might have legally owned some assets before id moved the project over. Either way, the research is interesting. I always thought the two companies were part of the same parent company for the longest time.

That's a sprite of the guy from Doom.

In Duke Nukem (I had to Google "Doom cameo" because he failed to clarify what that was a screenshot of and I've never played all of Duke Nukem)?

Thank you.

A screenshot from a game making fun of another game, all of which were released before you were born, it seems.

:p

I wasn't aware that Doom was released in the early 80's.
Or that there was some prerequisite that I should be able to identify any game released in my lifetime.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wasn't aware that Doom was released in the early 80's.
Or that there was some prerequisite that I should be able to identify any game released in my lifetime.

No, but I don't see a scenario in which you liked both computers and videogames enough to have played Duke Nukem and not be able to identify the Player Character in Doom.

I guess if you never played any multiplayer at all? I just find it strange because I never did play multiplayer Doom (no LAN network on School that I could use for that) and I've always known it.

Also, it's in the first or second stage of Duke Nukem.

No, but I don't see a scenario in which you liked both computers and videogames enough to have played Duke Nukem and not be able to identify the Player Character in Doom.

I guess if you never played any multiplayer at all? I just find it strange because I never did play multiplayer Doom (no LAN network on School that I could use for that) and I've always known it.

You're really good at making broad assumptions. Who said I was ever a PC gamer? I'm a Nintendo nerd. Being a fan of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda doesn't automatically make me PC gamer...I never was. I played a few levels of Duke Nukem because my sisters boyfriend installed a cracked version of it on the family computer when I was 13.

Besides all that, you act as though every gamer should be familiar with the the way the main character of Doom, a first person game, looks. I have never played a Doom game, I am not a fan of FPS games, and this isn't even a character who gets a lot of visual mainstream exposure, which is probably because of that first person thing.

Mael

You do realise that Doom was released on pretty much all supports including SNES and that had no multiplayer at all.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You're really good at making broad assumptions. Who said I was ever a PC gamer? I'm a Nintendo nerd. Being a fan of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda doesn't automatically make me PC gamer...I never was. I played a few levels of Duke Nukem because my sisters boyfriend installed a cracked version of it on the family computer when I was 13.

Besides all that, you act as though every gamer should be familiar with the the way the main character of Doom, a first person game, looks. I have never played a Doom game, I am not a fan of FPS games, and this isn't even a character who gets a lot of visual mainstream exposure, which is probably because of that first person thing.

You do realise that Doom was released on pretty much all supports including SNES and that had no multiplayer at all.

You are both right, I do assume things a lot. When Valjean said "The Tomb Raider thing is nice", I assumed he knew Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem, which meant that I did assume that he had access to a PC and was into videogames back then, which was reinforced when he said he played duke nukem. Which is why I found it strange that he couldn't recognize the first player character on the market leader game of the same genre.

Since you said you're a Nintendo Fan, It's like somebody came up to you and said that Zelda were pretty good games, but I don't know whose pictures are those inside the Castle in Ocarina of Time.

Besides, your question was already answered twice. I was simply going to answer it, but when I noticed it was already answered, I decided to make a joke instead (please note the :D on the original message, which indicates that it's a light hearted message).

Either way, I apologize to both you and the thread, as those are not Gaming Facts that blow your mind.

You are both right, I do assume things a lot. When Valjean said "The Tomb Raider thing is nice", I assumed he knew Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem, which meant that I did assume that he had access to a PC and was into videogames back then, which was reinforced when he said he played duke nukem. Which is why I found it strange that he couldn't recognize the first player character on the market leader game of the same genre.

Since you said you're a Nintendo Fan, It's like somebody came up to you and said that Zelda were pretty good games, but I don't know whose pictures are those inside the Castle in Ocarina of Time.

Besides, your question was already answered twice. I was simply going to answer it, but when I noticed it was already answered, I decided to make a joke instead (please note the :D on the original message, which indicates that it's a light hearted message).

Either way, I apologize to both you and the thread, as those are not Gaming Facts that blow your mind.

There's a pretty big divide between recognizing Lara Croft and having played Doom when it first came out. But in any case, I'm sorry too.

JaseMath

Mario%202%20end.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 2 takes place in a world called Subcon and is revealed to be a dream at the end.

Subcon is shorthand for subconcious.

:O

Top Bottom