• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Starting in Super Street Fighter 2, DeeJay's pants have "MAXIMUM" written down the sides because of the memory limits of the CPS hardware. The word looks the same regardless of which way the character is facing.

I read this a while ago, but I thought in the interview, Capcom mentioned what they really wanted his pants to say. Something like JAMMIN or close to that. Does anyone remember exactly what it was.

I'll accept answers in the form of a question.

chiablo

What is MANTIS?

rGtFzzH.jpg

A miserable little pile of secrets.

zruben

Banned
I heard about it in Nintendo Power or something.

According to Wikipedia the reasoning is:
"The reason for this is explained in the official Nintendo Player's guide as a Hylian superstition that requires the shield to always face Death Mountain (located to the North) to protect oneself from the evil powers originating within the mountain."

And it is in the "The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past Nintendo Player's Guide" on page 143.

oh, great. so it was mentioned somewhere before =)

even if the explanation doesn't work 100% correctly, I think it's funny to see that they thought of something to explain the spite flip.

Joei

I wouldn't say this is incredibly surprising, and if you think to search for it you can easily find it, but I did not know that in Zelda 1 the dungeons had names. Like, dungeon one was called The Eagle, two, The Moon... and more up to eight. I have the original with the box and instruction manual and was flipping through it the other day and saw this and was really surprised.

The names of them can be found here... http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

MikeOShay

Neo Member
When a game accepts this type of secret as a norm then the entire game becomes a fucking hunt for a needle in a hay stack.

Thats one of the reasons I'm not so keen on the New Super Mario series. I don't want to have to jump and against every fucking inch of the game to find an invisible wall, thats just cheap.

But Nintendo gives visual hints for upwards of 90% of the invisible walls. They're in the spots where the foreground is less exciting than usual.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I love how bored he looks, slouched in the chair.

Trike

Any source? Credits or something?

I can't find any voice actor information for Majora's Mask other than Link and Fierece Deity Link. However, the person who voices Link in Wind Waker also voiced him in The Phantom Hourglass and Brawl, but that is it. It is interesting to note that Aryll and Link have the same VA.

It's a bit anachronistic, though. Shenmue is set in the 80's, almost none of the Sega game characters you get out of capsule machines existed at that time. :p Nor should Ryo own a Sega Saturn.

There's still some references to Shenmue being Virtua Fighter, though, beyond just Ryo being Akira. Lan Di bears more than a passing resemblance to Lau Chan. I also recall there's some fighting tournaments in Shenmue 2 when you get to Kowloon, and some of the fighters in that have Virtua Fighter analogs. I haven't been to that part in ages, though, so I can't be any more specific than that and Google is of no help.

But yeah. Here's some CG art Sega put out for Virtua Fighter 2, showing Akira

Bag9Mf7.jpg
8FUFeQy.jpg

And here's a screencap of the very first Shenmue teaser (back when it was called "Project Berkley" in 1998)

S6WxUP0.jpg

They have the same arm bands, and white-shirt Akira is likely the same model Ryo uses in the Project Berkley teaser :p
Holy shit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just noticed this now that I feel stupid but I want to share :/

tumblr_mph64npXSP1s2i16to1_500.png

That sheath seems like a face, but isn't. It only has one eye - the mouth and "closed" eyes are actually the blade itself, with the holes of the sheath forming that look.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I expected something interesting to come of that. So you can walk around in the background there. That's - something.

Well I was joking about the megaton, but if you played FF7 in 1997 and have played it a bunch since then, it's kind of a 'whoa, you can go there??' thing.

If it doesn't work try adding a # before t=59m10s

I think # is the old way and & works now but who knows with youtube.

B.K.

In Final Fantasy VI, Terra's sprite has green hair:

32JDdqJ.jpg

Even though she's blonde in the Amano art:

GwcN2sD.jpg

At one point during development, Square apparently had an alternate sprite for her that was blonde.

At one point during development, Square apparently had an alternate sprite for her that was blonde.

A different hair style, even. That's really neat. Someone should consider making a hack of the game to restore those.

Cheerilee

32JDdqJ.jpg

Even though she's blonde in the Amano art:

GwcN2sD.jpg

Less of a mindblowing fact than alternate sprites, but Lenna and Faris from FFV were also blondes in the Amano art, changed to pink and purple in the sprites.

Rosa, Lenna, Faris, Krile, Terra, Celes... aside from green-haired Rydia, Amano had a pretty good run of blondes going. The sprite artists kind of had to change half of them, otherwise they'd start running out of ways to tell the characters apart.

Platy

c7sMrcB.png

Huh, how about that.

Sort of looks more boring now without it.

This reminds me how I was talking with a friend and she mentioned that Fairies having a Steel weakness is related to the changeling legends that if you used a metal comb near the children's bed, fairies would not steal your children.

The bizarre part is that what really protects you from fairies is what they call "cold metal", which is a metal that wasn't mixed with any other metal.... so STEEL and a sword per se are NOT strong defenders against fairies =P

Also, a "sword being strong against fairy" is a very homophobic sentence in brazilian portuguese =P

Myriadis

Rosa, Lenna, Faris, Krile, Terra, Celes... aside from green-haired Rydia, Amano had a pretty good run of blondes going. The sprite artists kind of had to change half of them, otherwise they'd start running out of ways to tell the characters apart.
He also seems to have a thing for white-haired guys that kinda look like girls in goth style.

Another little thing I didn't know about Mega Man 2 (and surely many who played that game when they were kids do):

Pressing and Holding the B Button while selecting a boss turns the stars in the boss intro screen into birds.

4lejandro

According to Wikipedia the reasoning is:
"The reason for this is explained in the official Nintendo Player's guide as a Hylian superstition that requires the shield to always face Death Mountain (located to the North) to protect oneself from the evil powers originating within the mountain."

And it is in the "The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past Nintendo Player's Guide" on page 143.

I think I have that issue laying somewhere, I remember they discussed Deejay's pants and how it was clever because MAXIMUM doesn't flip amongst other examples.

Another Final Fantasy VI fact, from V-Jump:

The following scene was written but ultimately discarded from the game:
Strago: I have one request... Show me your face. Even if you are him, I have no intention of wasting time trying to talk you into staying. I just want to know... for Relm's sake...

Shadow: ...... (He takes off his mask and shows Strago his face. However, his back is turned so that the player can't see.)

Strago: Thank you... Shadow. ...Come, let's have a drink.
ストラゴス:「ひとつだけお願いがある…。お前の顔を見せてくれ。もしお前がそうだったとしても、ワシはお前に残ってくれという無理な相談を持ちかける気はない。ただ、リルムのためにも…知っておきたいだけなんじゃ…」

シャドウ:「……………(覆面を取ってストラゴスに素顔を見せる。ただし、背中を向いているため、プレイヤーは顔を見ることができない)」

ストラゴス:「ありがとう……シャドウ。……さあ、飲もう」

The Nintendo 64 version of "Killer Instinct" had a single frame within a move from the "Orchid" character that had some malfunctioning panties... ..

1641d1362959918-north-korea-vows-nuke-u-s-1334496790782.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The Nintendo 64 version of "Killer Instinct" had a single frame within a move from the "Orchid" character that had some malfunctioning panties... ..

You just won the most useless fact without a screenshot award. Congrats.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

PICS OR GTFO

Edit: Well, I just wasted time Gooling this like a perv. Couldn't find it. Thanks, Obama. I'm gonna go look for the nude raider code...

jaxword

...Why did they leave this out?!

I mean, you can figure out that Shadow is Relm's father, but why did they choose to not explicitly state it?

They got sloppy with some of FF6's coding and programming. There's many things IN the code that were supposed to be said and done, but were left out due to bugs or poor event planning.

They got sloppy with some of FF6's coding and programming. There's many things IN the code that were supposed to be said and done, but were left out due to bugs or poor event planning.

Is this true only of the English version, or does the JP version explain everything as intended?

Top Bottom