• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

OmahaG8

The ps1 grey firmware look was there from the start, the paint splat looking one was around or just before the psone I believe.

I know the grey blocks was first as a friends launch day unit had it and so did my own, this was before the twin stick controller was made and released.

Just in case anyone did not know, the ps1 had a twin stick pad before the dual shock with rumble motors in it, you can tell the difference by weight and the analog sticks, the original non rumble had sticks which look more like the 360 controller and dip in.

I have one (dual analog) and you're making me feel old.

Valkyria

Banned
Once I read that the firsts psx launched with a blue firmware, then to grey and last to the blue. Until then, I always believed that they were grey from the start.

The ps1 grey firmware look was there from the start, the paint splat looking one was around or just before the psone I believe.

I know the grey blocks was first as a friends launch day unit had it and so did my own, this was before the twin stick controller was made and released.

I'm telling you, the screen I posted, I took myself, from my launch day Playstation 1. I took it home with me on Sep 9th, 1995, and have never seen that grey screen before now. Unless they both existed on launch day, which I doubt, the blue screen is the original one.

This is my Playstation, note the RCA jacks that were removed on later revisions:

And this is the model number sticker, note the manufactured date:

Which region/country are you guys?

Here in Europe/PAL-lands, launch consoles have the grey menu, and Playstation systems from 1998 onwards+PSone's have the vomit splatter.

Maybe that's it. Per my post above, obviously I'm in the US - launch day 9/9/1995. (Red E NOS and all that.)

Shaneus

Fight!_Fight!_Fight!_etc..gif

Sorry, I just got caught up in the moment. FWIW, my brother's PSX bought a few months after launch (I don't think it had RCA outputs) had the silver menu as well. Feel sorry for you guys with the uber-ugmo confetti vomit one.

But what about the other two Mario games with timers?

A little bit late, and sorta beaten, but SMB1 (and 2-J, which runs on the same engine) are vastly simpler games from a technological standpoint; they use no parallax scrolling, don't even often have that many mobile objects on the screen, and everything is either the background layer (including the ground!), the interface layer, or the object layer. There was no need to defer processing on the timer because it wasn't stressed.

With SMB3, while the timer was still in they probably realized even then that there wasn't nearly as much of a reason to emphasize the time-attack nature of the levels and that the player enjoyed exploring a lot more; it's sort of surprising the timer survived into SMB4, and it's telling that Yoshi's Island and SMB64 drops it entirely. So the timer in SMB3 does run slower, and they probably just didn't care because making the game look and play cool was the priority.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A little bit late, and sorta beaten, but SMB1 (and 2-J, which runs on the same engine) are vastly simpler games from a technological standpoint; they use no parallax scrolling, don't even often have that many mobile objects on the screen, and everything is either the background layer (including the ground!), the interface layer, or the object layer. There was no need to defer processing on the timer because it wasn't stressed.

With SMB3, while the timer was still in they probably realized even then that there wasn't nearly as much of a reason to emphasize the time-attack nature of the levels and that the player enjoyed exploring a lot more; it's sort of surprising the timer survived into SMB4, and it's telling that Yoshi's Island and SMB64 drops it entirely. So the timer in SMB3 does run slower, and they probably just didn't care because making the game look and play cool was the priority.
Interesting, it even does it when you walk. Not as slow but still. Very interesting.

I remember the first thing I said to my sister the day she brought home SMB2. "Does it have a timer?" I tell ya, in those early days of learning Mario games, that timer in SMB1 was kind of an enemy for us. Fortunately by the time 3 came along, I was a better player and the timer didn't matter. Now I know partially why. It was always going slower! And I was always running.

Why was it called PSX at first anyway? I wondered this for years and the acronym was abandoned even though it was used pretty much the entire console life.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why was it called PSX at first anyway? I wondered this for years and the acronym was abandoned even though it was used pretty much the entire console life.

It was the internal code name, I believe.

"Play Station" was a longstanding games project within Sony, but the one machine design that actually made it to market was code name PS-X.

It was popularized by the early internet community, and by magazines. Ziff Davis (of EGM fame) had a Playstation magazine called PSX.... before they were granted the Sony license to rebrand it as Official US Playstation Magazine.

I've noticed the chiptune community has taken to calling the original Game Boy "DMG", the original code name/product number. I think this is similar.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And we called it PSX all through the lifespan of the console, too.

It wasn't until PS2 and the PSone model that we took to calling it PS1.

It's very similar to the Atari 2600... That's what I always knew that console as... but it turns out that it was known as the Atari VCS until its successor the Atari 5200 came out, and the VCS was rebranded.

And for similar reasons, I don't think we will know the first Xbox as the "Xbox 1" any longer.

Shaneus

And we called it PSX all through the lifespan of the console, too.

It wasn't until PS2 and the PSone model that we took to calling it PS1.

It's very similar to the Atari 2600... That's what I always knew that console as... but it turns out that it was known as the Atari VCS until its successor the Atari 5200 came out, and the VCS was rebranded.

And for similar reasons, I don't think we will know the first Xbox as the "Xbox 1" any longer.
Very interesting about the 2600/VCS thing, had no idea. But as far as the original Xbox goes, I'll still call it the Xbox 1... only because people who know me know there's no way I'll ever talk about the Xbox One in a positive light ;)

Final Fantasy X fact from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74598751#post74598751

This reminds me: what was up with the scene where your party fell into the lake but everyone was chilling and talking as if not being submerged into water ? I always found that scene weird and incomprehensible. And then everyone wakes up in the desert. I always thought the guys behind the game simply had no ideas how to bridge the two scenes and cut corners.
The game didn't explain/present this well at all, but here's what happened:

Look at this render of Sin from the game files.

bSDspn1.jpg

See those buildings on its head?

Now check out this video around 30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42JzPJgluYo

OvyDKQ5.jpg

Look familiar?

Yep. They landed right on top of Sin. The game does a terrible job of explaining this to you (the only other hint is Auron remarking "The ground!" before the CG scene of Sin plays.)

The party passes out because he starts dreaming; I guess that's when he releases his "toxin". He then takes them to Bikanel, where they all wake up. Why does he take them there? The best theory is that Jecht is still in a little control (remember before Braska's Final Aeon, where he says soon he'll "become Sin completely"?), so he takes Tidus and co. to where Yuna is being held so they can reunite. (Unfortunately Home is attacked by the Guado before they can reach her, and the story continues from there.)

As for the water level: it isn't right below the ice. It's right there where the party is, far below the temple. (If the water went right up to the ice, Macalania Temple would also be underwater.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLaSknLWUA

PlayStation was the name for the Nintendo CD system that got canned. They added the X when they started working on a stand-alone machine to help internally separate it. They just decided to keep it for convenience purposes.

I'm telling you, the screen I posted, I took myself, from my launch day Playstation 1. I took it home with me on Sep 9th, 1995, and have never seen that grey screen before now. Unless they both existed on launch day, which I doubt, the blue screen is the original one.

This is my Playstation, note the RCA jacks that were removed on later revisions:

And this is the model number sticker, note the manufactured date:

I should have noted that I am in PAL land, so maybe it varys.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
...Which two are you talking about? There have to be at least 10 Mario games with timers. Nearly every 2D Mario platformer has one.
NES/Famicom only. Since we're talking about processor limitations leading to clock slowdown.

Namely, SMB 1, SMB2 Japan and the aforementioned SMB3.

But it was explained well above. SMB3 used a technique of having two different scrolling planes on screen. One for the status bar and the other for the game. It makes sense that when the main game section is updating fast that the clock timer would slow down. SMB1 and 2 did not have a separate canvas with a status bar on it, instead they drew their status right onto the top of the screen, which was always a single background color for simplicity.

Then again, it could have just been a neat easter egg since it's still in SMB3 All-Stars, but you know what else is present in All-Stars? The terrible collision detection in SMB1 and the ability to get sucked into the wall in 1-2. (Though the Minus World does not exist, you can still perform the trick)

Question answered. Problem solved. Dilemma deleted.

Nymphae

Banned
That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

1)People typing "Megaman" instead of "Mega Man"
2)People typing "Starfox" instead of "Star Fox"
3)People typing "Sim City" instead of "SimCity"
4)People typing "X-Box" or "XBox" instead of "Xbox"

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"

This is not worth caring about.

That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

1)People typing "Megaman" instead of "Mega Man"
2)People typing "Starfox" instead of "Star Fox"
3)People typing "Sim City" instead of "SimCity"
4)People typing "X-Box" or "XBox" instead of "Xbox"

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"

I'm almost positive that the word "wiimote" was used at some in some official capacity by Nintendo.

Platy

Way less OMFG than cloudbrush, but it blew a friend's mind so I might post this =P

At least is a cool little nod

The dude on the left is receiving lots of awkward handsome non mii fanarts "Mr Mendel", named after Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, who did lots of experiments on plant hybridization

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Way less OMFG than cloudbrush, but it blew a friend's mind so I might post this =P

The dude on the left is receiving lots of awkward handsome non mii fanarts "Mr Mendel", named after Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, who did lots of experiments on plant hybridization

Father Gregor Mendel, to be precise -- an Augustinian friar/scientist.

MikeOShay

Neo Member

What, uh... what game is this?

batbeg

I'm almost positive that the word "wiimote" was used at some in some official capacity by Nintendo.

After the Wii announcement Nintendo actually officially deigned it the Wii Remote and asked it be referred to as such instead of informal terms like "wiimote", much like Microsoft outlined the Xbox One not to be referred to as the One/Xbox/etc.

Small detail that I never though about until yesterday, In the original resident evil if you hold down to walk backwards you walk backwards, but if you do so near an enemy the character will tip back further and move slightly slower to show fear until you are a big enough distance away to just normally walk again.

I think this is one of those things which make resident evil tank controls work so well, you can rotate and run off but to a lot of casual players, holding back to retreat is what you press first.

I don''t remember leon doing this in RE4 or chris in RE5 so I guess they binned the idea.

Top Bottom