• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

jman2050

Danthrax said:
That would make sense considering Sonic is falling uncontrollably at the beginning of Ice Cap Zone (onto the snowboard). It probably was supposed to be falling from a blown-up Flying Battery Zone. Cool.

Bingo.

Also TSR, I don't quite have many of the finer details of the Dreamcast Sonics committed to memory, but Sonic 2 and S3K are easy as pie :p

This is gonna be a clone of the PA Forums thread, isn't it XD

TheSonicRetard said:
Close. The Flying Battery Zone is the ship which bombs Angel Island Zone right before you fight robotnik.

Well yeah, but it was probably resting in the Launch Base Zone when Robotnik was launching the Death Egg.

Then when Sonic fights Robotnik in the Mushroom Hill Zone, Robotnik realizes that he's fucked so he calls the Flying Battery from the Launch Base. How could it have gotten to the Mushroom Hill Zone in such a short time if it wasn't right there? It's not like it moves that fast (remember that Sonic can keep up with it).

And the Flying Battery definitely originated from the Launch Base Zone. That's where Robotnik launches his shit.

morningbus said:
How about this, as I just recently found this out:

The original Japanese Legend of Zelda used the Famicom's second controller microphone to kill Pols Voices with your voice.

PolsVoice.png

In the American version you just attack them normally. However, in the instruction manual, they still give you a, now confusing, clue on their weakness with "[Pols Voices hate] loud noises."

Not earth shattering, but interesting nonetheless.

Actually, the instruction still makes sense. Use the whistle when around Pols Voices, and they'll instaneously die.

jman2050

Oh yes, there's one thing in S3K that actually blew MY mind when I first learned of it.

Go to Sky Sanctuary as Knuckles, initiate the fight with Metal Sonic and... don't beat him. Just stall until the 10 minute time limit is reached. The thing I'm referring to should become quite apparent after a few minutes...

jman2050 said:
Oh yes, there's one thing in S3K that actually blew MY mind when I first learned of it.

Go to Sky Sanctuary as Knuckles, initiate the fight with Metal Sonic and... don't beat him. Just stall until the 10 minute time limit is reached. The thing I'm referring to should become quite apparent after a few minutes...

My God, it's like a murder mystery.

I'm scared to do it.

This is gonna be a clone of the PA Forums thread, isn't it XD

:D With the added bonus of me not having to type up ALL the shit.

I'll get the ball rolling with Sonic 1...

So I trust everyone's fucked around with debug mode before in Sonic 1. Ever taken a good look at the end sign post when you're in debug mode?

debug.jpg

As you can see, when you're in debug mode, the images for all the item boxes are loaded into vram in the spot where the signpost should be. Look at the first image - it's an item box never seen before. Here's what it looks like put together:

tvgogglesnr9.gif

It turns out it's an air goggles item. The sprites for it still exist in Sonic 1. The idea was that you'd bust one open, and then you'd be able to breath underwater in Labyrinth Zone, an idea that was later reused in Sonic 3 (via the bubble shield)

s1googles9thah2.gif

^the stuff that would have saved a million gamers in labyrinth zone

So... you guys wanna know how vertical scrolling is handled in levels like labyrinth zone?

lyre

TheGrayGhost said:
Actually, the instruction still makes sense. Use the whistle when around Pols Voices, and they'll instaneously die.
iirc hey stop moving when you play the flute, not die. However, they die with a single arrow shot, and a slew of them if lined up.

So in Sonic the Hedgehog (1-knuckles), every level is essentially a giant rectangular, horizontally laid out box, and you usually begin the level in the upper left corner of the box. For most levels, this is ideal because it gives you lots of room to run left and right. However, certain levels feature more vertical action than horizontal action (Labyrinth Zone, for example). This creates a somewhat unique problem for level layout, as labyrinth zone's design calls for really high vertical chasms that extend farther than the height of the level.

So, to get around this, there's a flag that can be set which will allow the level to loop back on itself, sort of like old arcade games like ms. pacman. That way, when you reach the bottom of the screen, and continue to go down, you'll find yourself on the top of the level.

To illustrate how this translates to level design, I'll use a well known example - hidden palace zone from Sonic 2. Because this level has water in it, it's easy to show how the level wraps.

s2protosnap031dk8.gif

For most people, that's how HPZ ends, an impassible vertical wall. This wall is actually placed near the top of the level. If we scroll over to the right and all the way down using debug, we find more level deep underwater:

s2protosnap032jo9.gif

follow this underwater level portion a bit, and you resurface and can continue for a bit:

s2protosnap040xa9.gif

The level is actually layed out like this:

looppe5.png

where the periods are whitespace, and the lines are platform. The trick is that the game would have wrapped around at the top of the screen and made it seem like the vertical climb was longer than it was. Labyrinth zone does similar things right before the boss fight.

Now, as you see, this creates problems with regards to the water level. The bottom of the level is submerged in water, so as we go to the top of the screen, we suddenly find ourselves dunked in water. So how does labyrinth zone get around this? By moving the water level.

As you climb towards the boss in LBZ act 3, you'll notice at one point the water level drops. If you climb back down, you'll eventually find that a door has closed that prevents you from going further back. What happened is that the game unloaded the water for the level. Notice how the water level rises back again right before the boss fight.

Anyone care to hear about how solidarity works in Sonic the hedgehog, or would you guys rather see neat unseen things?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TheSonicRetard said:
Not just that - it originally wasn't supposed to be a snow board. Notice how, when sonic leaves Flying Battery Zone, a door pops off with him? He was originally supposed to ride that down the mountain like a snow board.

Obviously, when FBZ was scrapped in sonic 3, they added the snow board. The idea was reused in Sonic Adventure 2.

That's really awesome.

jman2050 said:

What? Shit I really need to go back and play this now. I hope I can get my Genesis working again.

TheSonicRetard said:
Anyone care to hear about how solidarity works in Sonic the hedgehog, or would you guys rather see neat unseen things?

Both, preferably, but I'll take neat unseen things for 300.

This might have been posted in the thread already, but you can see Mario in Sonic the Hedgehog:

rgwccn.png

Those etchings are "supposed" to be two lions but we all know what they are. ;)

Avrum

Guybrush Threepwood said:
This might have been posted in the thread already, but you can see Mario in Sonic the Hedgehog:

rgwccn.png

Ah, now this is a mind blower for me, not quite clouds as bushes (vice versa) mindblowing, but "how the hell did I miss this after all this time" mindblowing. NOw that I see it, I can't unsee it.

TALES. OF. INTEREST!

This isn't video game related, but for fans of Big Trouble in Little China...

Who was the main hero of the movie?

You leave Jack Burton alone! Wait, what does BTILC have to do with anything going on here?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

Alpha_eX

jman2050 said:

Care to explain this one? I can't be bothered to find and play the game to find out.

[Nintex]

DavidDayton said:
In the game, Malon and Talon are both wearing Bowser brooches/pendants. There are some screenshots I took ages ago over at TMK, but the screen shot size and quality is a bit poor.
There are also bowser paintings in the Hyrule Castle gardens I think, but they're not well hidden so I guess everyone knows about them.

fresquito

Does anyone here know that you can be little mario, but still have fire balls in SMB? And when you're hit again, you turn big, and when you're hit again you die, being big.

JonnyBrad

rgwccn.png

I must be blind, don't see it :(

Steroyd

Wow everything I knew was a LIE, from the cloud bush, to... everything.

I CAN'T UNSEE THE 3.

TheSonicRetard said:
Miles "Tails" Prower

Miles Prower

Miles per hour

WOW why have I always thought Miles second name was power. O_O

CLEEK

At the end of the 80s, Namco wanted to break into the movie business. They thought they'd found a way to enter Hollywood when Masaya Nakamura, the founder and CEO of Namco, met up with an American film studio head who was currently filming in Toyko.

They negotiated to work together on the studio's next project, a mainstream comedy, based on an idea by the studio head, to be filmed in Japan but for a US audience. Namco became the primary producers, providing a budget of 1.5m dollars up front and arranging Japanese distribution rights.

Unfortunately for Namco, the studio head they met was Lloyd Kaufman from Troma (when he was filming Toxic Avenger 2). The film Troma made with Namco's money was Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, which was a far removed from what Namco had envisaged. They withdrew their support, which meant the film didn't get released for a few years after its completion.

Huggy

Already entered?

In MGS4, Otacon still uses his "pushing up glasses" animation during Codec sequences quite frequently when he switches to contacts half way through the game.

FirewalkR

Huggy said:
Already entered?

In MGS4, Otacon still uses his "pushing up glasses" animation during Codec sequences quite frequently when he switches to contacts half way through the game.

That happened to me too all the time when I switched to contacts. :lol

OT: Funny (stupid) story: when I still used glasses and way before I switched to lenses, I recall one day when I woke up I couldn't find my glasses, and I actually went around the house trying to find them, completely oblivious to the fact that I was seeing properly...

Must still have been half-asleep. o:)

Diablos

Rydias said:
It seems there were lots of changes that Chrono Trigger underwent. For instance:

A lot more area from "1999 A.D." appears in this shot, including more domes:
1999_AD_28CTP29.png

There's a whole other village in Prehistoric times to the right. And just above it is some weird mountain structure:
65000000BC_28CTP29.png

Also, the Epoch was at one time some sort of hovercraft:
Epochb_dn.gif
If you emulate the game and use cheat codes, you can get to all of these places. It's interesting... for a few minutes, at least.

jaypah

Justin Bailey said:
Really? Y'all never noticed that?

i know.....it's like the first thing you notice. but other stuff in this thread was "OMG" to me when others were like, "um, yeah...duh" so it's all good.

Poimandres said:
You leave Jack Burton alone! Wait, what does BTILC have to do with anything going on here?

I just thought of it.

And that's not correct.
Wang was the main hero. Jack was just his sidekick.

Yeah, it blew my mind the first time someone pointed that out.

tabsina

Dacvak said:
Proof: (First Google image result for Mario 3 Title Screen)

super-mario-bros.-3-screenshot-title.jpg

How did it take me almost 20 years to see this?

~Dac
why is that now the only thing i can see when i look at the title screen, whereas i haven't ever seen it in the past 20 years (i'll admit i wasn't looking at title screen the WHOLE time)

The Hermit

SonicRetard and Jman just made this thread awesome to me...

I love classic Sonic! The Battery Zone continuity explanation blew my mind...

jman2050 said:

Hey, plz tell me... I´m dying over here.

The Hermit

I just did the Knuckles final boss thing and damn, that's awesome.

That might be one of the best examples of continuity I've seen in a single game.

O_O

Fuck it I am trying it...

EDIT: is just the Island slowing falling at the background... or something else? Cause I knew about the island way back when I used to play this game every day...

Baiano19 said:
EDIT: is just the Island slowing falling at the background... or something else? Cause I knew about the island way back when I used to play this game every day...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's that.

It's so awesome because if you're just focusing on fighting Metal Sonic (who has the Master Emerald, which is why Angel Island is falling in the first place), it's extremely tough to notice.

I can't believe they had the sense to program that into the game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Threi said:
you people REALLY didn't notice the SMB3 shadow?

its like RIGHT in your face.

This. Even though I can't talk. I just now noticed that on Klonoa's hat, you had pacman eating a pac dot. That's even more obvious than the Mario Bros 3 shadow. lol

All of this sonic stuff makes me go O_O.

Top Bottom