• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

LeleSocho

Banned
The actor who did these roles:

Uzu Sanageyama from Kill La Kill

Viral from Gurren Lagann

Did this guy.
02.jpg

In Gurren Lagann ep 26 minute 21:10 Viral makes a sound that is almost the same as Adult Link jumping in OOT

Do you remember the Golemech fight in Starfox 64, when you take the easy route to venom, the one in the tunnel?
1368291-golemech060sjx6.png

I always thought that the tunnel is endless, just using the same trick as the endless staircase in Super Mario 64.

Turns out this tunnel is not endless. That boss fight is timed.

After about 6-7 minutes, you will get an extra life and then crash into multiple walls that you won't survive no matter what.
See it here (Bad quality). And what happens if you use a infinite shield cheat (Good Quality)
The same thing happens with the Macbeth boss"You're too slow, time to end this!". It takes about 10 minutes to get to that point.

LGom09

The lead designer of Ikaruga also composed all the music and did most of the background graphics for the game. That dude's talented.

Do you remember the Golemech fight in Starfox 64, when you take the easy route to venom, the one in the tunnel?
1368291-golemech060sjx6.png

I always thought that the tunnel is endless, just using the same trick as the endless staircase in Super Mario 64.

Turns out this tunnel is not endless. That boss fight is timed.

After about 6-7 minutes, you will get an extra life and then crash into multiple walls that you won't survive no matter what.
See it here (Bad quality). And what happens if you use a infinite shield cheat (Good Quality)

If you beat the Katina level (the Independence Day reference) without shooting down a friendly ship (or Peppy doing so, which can happen, and does count against you), you get a different ending message. I remember the easiest way to do this was to circle around the outer perimeter until the mothership opens up.

The change is really subtle, but it's nice that it's there. Here it is from a wiki:

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Katina#Trivia said:
In Star Fox 64/3D, if the player succeeds in destroying the mothership's core without shooting/destroying a Cornerian ship, instead of Bill saying "Take care, Fox" with Fox replying "You too....Bill", Bill will say "I'm glad we're on the same team, Fox" and Fox will reply "You owe me one."

In Star Fox 64/3D, for every Cornerian ship shot down, there will be one less Cornerian ship flying behind you when you finish the level.

Aside from Fox, the only Star Fox team member who may accidentally shoot down a friendly aircraft is Peppy Hare. ("Enemy down... wait, that was one of ours!")

It is kind of messed up Peppy can botch it for you, It's random, as far as I know.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Aside from Fox, the only Star Fox team member who may accidentally shoot down a friendly aircraft is Peppy Hare. ("Enemy down... wait, that was one of ours!")

Pigma never betrayed James.

It was Peppy all along! :0

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've never heard the phrase 'Nintendo hard' in my life.
It's an extremely well known and common expression.

Also, pretty much everything on that "didn't know" image is stuff everyone has known for a long time. And it's such an old image. From 2009? When the Wii was still new as was the iPhone. (It'd be only the 3GS at that point.)

Also, pretty much everything on that "didn't know" image is stuff everyone has known for a long time. And it's such an old image. From 2009? When the Wii was still new as was the iPhone. (It'd be only the 3GS at that point.)

Hard to say if it's truly "extremely well known" or common, since I can think of maybe one person I've ever heard saying it. That and the term is rather fallacious, anyway...

I've heard it on occasion, but only in reference to NES games. "Arcade hard" would be more accurate I think though, as the most difficult NES games are patterned after arcade gameplay.

Apparently not that well known as I don't remember hearing it either...

iidesuyo

Funny how they chose the least successful Playstation console as a comparison the Nintendo consoles. The PS2 would probably not fit on the paper, hehe.

Mike M

Nick N
"Nintendo hard" seems doubly weird considering Nintendo being associated with games for children for decades now. I've seen people use "old school hard" or "8-bit hard," but "Nintendo hard" just seems like a TV trope page that some random person who actually used that term made because he wanted it to catch on.

You can get some really interesting results if you put the date of Nintendo's founding into perspective. For example...

Nintendo was founded only a matter of months after the Eiffel Tower opened.
Nintendo is older than Sears and Roebuck
Nintendo predates the very inception of the RMS Titanic
Nintendo is older than nearly every, if not every, automobile manufacturer
This September 23, Nintendo will turn 1/8 of a millenium old.

Nintendo platformers still get it in on the difficulty tip if you're going for 100 percent completion.

Yes. Getting all shiny medals and completing hard mode in Tropical Freeze was probably the single most challenging proposition I've faced in any game this year, much more time consuming and taxing than beating Dark Souls 2 (though I admittedly did not go for a completionist playthrough there).

vypek

I'm not really sure if this belongs in this thread, but I was watching The Amazing World of Gumball (it's a Cartoon Network show, for those who haven't heard of it) and spotted a pretty cool nod to the Shadow of the Colossus. The episode is actually called "The Colossus," so maybe it wasn't just a subtle reference.

Here are some screencaps of the scene in both the game and the show:

Thats pretty cool. I never played Shadow of the Colossus so I didn't notice. But there is an episode of the same show there the kids are looking for something in the attic. When the find it in a secret part of the attic, the 8(?) note "Zelda" tune plays (the same when discovering something hidden) but with slightly different notes I believe. Thought it was a cool reference

Thats pretty cool. I never played Shadow of the Colossus so I didn't notice. But there is an episode of the same show there the kids are looking for something in the attic. When the find it in a secret part of the attic, the 7(?) note Zelda tune plays (the same when discovering something hidden).

The couple of times I happened to see the show it had game references. It made me wonder if the show is made in the UK or by someone who used to live there, as I saw multiple SNES carts, but they had the same shell as the Super Famicom and UK carts instead of the US ones.

But then, Mordecai and Rigby are always playing on a Master System in Regular Show...

This is probably just a funny coincidence, but I was listening to music from that band that "inspired" Guile's theme, and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5TKQE6aLA

The specific bit shows up for the first time at 0:20, basically the song's chorus. Sounds just like Mute City doesn't it? Perhaps Guile's theme wasn't the only video game theme they inspired. Like I said, this is probably just coincidence, since this is far from the dead ringer the other song is, but it gave me a bit of a start.

Javier

The couple of times I happened to see the show it had game references. It made me wonder if the show is made in the UK or by someone who used to live there, as I saw multiple SNES carts, but they had the same shell as the Super Famicom and UK carts instead of the US ones.
Yeah, Amazing World of Gumball is the first cartoon produced by Cartoon Network Development Studio Europe. It's a British cartoon.

They also did a spot-on Street Fighter parody.

FyreWulff

I heard "nintendo hard" used tons back then, and it was usually in reference to NES games. Because a lot of them were cheap in their difficulty. Also, the usual videogame joke in a movie/tv show/etc tend to reference world 8 in mario bros when referring to something difficult

She also wound up doing the remixes of the NES Super Mario Bros. games' music for Super Mario All-Stars
, which is probably why I prefer to play the originals

Wow, I had no idea she did SMAS. In that case, she probably composed the bonus room music that's used in SMB and Lost Levels, which does sound more in the vein of her Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings songs now that I think of it.

Raist

Banned
Is Nintendo really bigger than companies like Sony? I find that very hard to believe.

Not sure which metric is being used.
Certainly not employees, because Nintendo has ~5,000 (as of now, maybe a bit less when that chart was made) and by that metric is smaller than Ubisoft, for instance.

Leezard

Not sure which metric is being used.
Certainly not employees, because Nintendo has ~5,000 (as of now, maybe a bit less when that chart was made) and by that metric is smaller than Ubisoft, for instance.

IIRC at the time, Nintendo had a larger market cap. That was most likely the metric used.

LGom09

This is probably just a funny coincidence, but I was listening to music from that band that "inspired" Guile's theme, and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5TKQE6aLA

The specific bit shows up for the first time at 0:20, basically the song's chorus. Sounds just like Mute City doesn't it? Perhaps Guile's theme wasn't the only video game theme they inspired. Like I said, this is probably just coincidence, since this is far from the dead ringer the other song is, but it gave me a bit of a start.

Coincidence, I'd say. A similar phrase can be heard in the Phendrana Drifts theme. It plays throughout the song, but it's easiest to hear at 2:08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE#t=128

Top Bottom