• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Labrys

Devil May Cry 1 isn't the only game in the series to screw up a name completely in the translation.

DMC1 famously screwed up naming Vergils DT form as Nelo Angelo (which is nonsense) instead of Nero Angelo (which means black angel)

DMC4 screwed up the translation of this big bad mother fucker

Berial was meant to be Belial, an actual demons name, mean while Berial is just a made up name. This would go better considering how most of the other enemies in the game are named after demons, like mephisto or Baal.

I think this is because of how Japanese R sounds can be translated either way. For example, Berial is ベリアル, Beriaru. Instead of making the ri an L sound they just kept it like the romanization.
I'm guessing with Nelo Angelo they... did the opposite, as it would be Nero in the Japanese romanization.

Axass

I think this is because of how Japanese R sounds can be translated either way. For example, Berial is ベリアル, Beriaru. Instead of making the ri an L sound they just kept it like the romanization.
I'm guessing with Nelo Angelo they... did the opposite, as it would be Nero in the Japanese romanization.

Of course it's due to that, but when you translate something, you should understand the context and source material. I mean, getting Belial right was easy, it's a demon, just open google and search for both Berial and Belial. Same with Nero, open google and you'll immediately find out it's "black" in Italian. They just decided at random, probably going with what sounded better in their minds. Very unprofessional.

Dunan

This happens in game after game, though the translators have been getting better.

I played Ninja Gaiden as a child and had no idea that "Lukifell" was a bad romanization of ルキフェル , which is the "correct" classical Latin pronunciation of Lucifer. Not until much later, seeing the name in katakana, did the truth jump out at me. Parthena パルテナ becoming "Palutena" in Kid Icarus is another; the non-classically-trained translators are stuck guessing whether it's R or L, and often they guess wrong.

I can't believe that it wasn't actually posted here by now.

You know Midna, from Twilight Princess?
midnauuukc.png

Everybody thought that Midna speaks some gibberish that just sounds vaguely similar to English. Turns out it is actually English, just scrambled and chopped.

Listen for the unscrambled voice clips here
I had a feeling she was talking english it sounded like it was a little to me. Same with Fi, has anyone looked into Fi's voice?

This happens in game after game, though the translators have been getting better.

Honestly, I wish it were more popular to use the dakuten on the 'r' family to make 'l' in katakana. It would clear up a lot of mistranslations.

ロック&ロール゙ = Rock & Roll
ロ゙ック&ロ゙ード = Lock & Load

I never noticed before that the Castlevania Simon's Quest box art is basically a direct copy of the old AD&D Ravenloft module and its cover art of Strahd von Zarovich...

I guess not too surprising in the context of the Metal Gear box art also being a copy. Just... no idea how I never noticed or heard about that before.

Mike M

Nick N
I never noticed before that the Castlevania Simon's Quest box art is basically a direct copy of the old AD&D Ravenloft module and its cover art of Strahd von Zarovich...

I guess not too surprising in the context of the Metal Gear box art also being a copy. Just... no idea how I never noticed or heard about that before.

I've seen the comparison on GAF before, but I can't remember if it was in this thread or not.

ReyVGM

is that even true?

do we have any interview or something?

I tried googling it but all it came up was some RE sites liking to some random kotaku article talking about FF7.

Well, only Capcom has the source code for RE and Good Troop, so there would be no way of knowing. Now, if whoever said that means that you can see part of the source code inside the game's code, then that's another thing.

And as far as I know, that's not true. If it were, it would be all over The Cutting Room Floor (tcrf.net) and it isn't.

Zubz

Banned

Eh, I don't see it at all. Alice has all that acne, a longer face, and a different haircut; the only similarity I see is braided ponytails and round glasses. Incidentally, I'm half-hoping that if they make another Punch-Out!!, they add these guys and the guys from Super Punch-Out!! in.

One final bit is the source code of Resident Evil (PS1) has parts of Goof Troop (SNES) source code in it.

Are you lying to me, Starwolf? I really hope you're not lying. Because that'd be cruel.

Metal B

Wario actually debuted three years before Super Mario Land on the TV show:

66a9rFO.jpg

Source.
This is also the original story of Waluigi;
Walugi actual wasn't a bad guy in the beginning. He wasn't even called by this name from birth. Actually he was only a normal guy, who was just a little obsessed with the color green. He lived in a green house, drove a green car, had a green frog as his pet and a girlfriend with beautiful green eyes. He only started to become a plumper and of course bought himself a green overall, like the one we see in the picture.

But what we didn't saw in the cartoon, are the events after there first class. The teacher didn't liked to get confused over two students wearing similar green overalls and ordered Waluigi to change his into a different color. Waluigi begged the teacher and cried his heart out not to have him change his overall, since the color was his most favorite thing in the world. But the teacher only get annoyed over his whining. Either he would change the overall or he would never become a plumber, were his last words of the subject matter! Heavy-heartedly Waluigi finally agreed.

He choose purple the color of unhappiness and his personally changed with it. Living his life besides this guy, who stole his favorite color, drove him mad. He began hating Luigi over everything else, tried to beat him in every small detail and also projected his hate on the world. He destroyed his green house with a purple hammer, sunk his green car in the purple shimmering river, let his green frog eaten by a purple crocodile and gave his girlfriend a purple eye. After the last bit he named himself Waluigi, screamed at Luigis doorstep to face him (he wasn't at home) and finally vanished into the night.

Luigi never noticed any of this.

OMG. For real?

Fake Edit:

Upon further reading, here are a couple of articles:

www.mariowiki.com/Wario

http://web.archive.org/web/20080603115614/http://www.*****.com/article.php?artid=10570

Related reading:

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=319

Based on the above I'm not 100% sure that's supposed to be Wario in the cartoon per se, more that after SML2, they may have decided to pattern Wario after that similar character in the show (although I don't know if the character in the show was given any defining traits or personality, or name). I'm not sure if Wario was designed with his current color scheme when he appeared as the villain in SML2. The articles above indicate he was an R&D1 creation, though, and that the original inspiration may have appeared in Wrecking Crew, all the way back in 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7ISVKAbYcvc#t=348

The character makes an appearance in two different instances and doesn't speak. He's just background scenery, basically. It is interesting though. It makes you wonder if NOJ saw this and based Wario off the design of if this was based on some early version of Wario floating around Nintendo (doubtful DIC had that close of ties to NOA). Or maybe it is just an odd coincidence?

Datschge

Persona 3 looks more like EMW (Eisenacher Motorenwerke), a German car maker who was shut down in East Germany by the Soviets after WWII
Actually the Automobilwerk Eisenach was owned by BMW until the end of WWII. That EMW logo was created after it was expropriated and BMW started a legal case forbidding them to continue using BMW.

Sorry if this is old to some people, but I haven't seen it posted.

In Bravely Default, the Lee family are all based off puns.

Braev Lee: Bravely
Edea Lee: Ideally
Mahzer Lee: Motherly

My mind is blown right now.

Mike M

Nick N
Sorry if this is old to some people, but I haven't seen it posted.

In Bravely Default, the Lee family are all based off puns.

Braev Lee: Bravely
Edea Lee: Ideally
Mahzer Lee: Motherly

My mind is blown right now.
Not just them, a lot of the names are puns relating to their jobs. Holly Whyte (Holy white), Ominas Crowe (Ominous crow), etc.

sn00zer

Spyro 2+3 has a lot of elements that would later be used in Ratchet and Clank including an early design of clank

Spyro 2 'Metropolis' level is a futuristic level containing a robot character very similar to Clank, Metropolis is also the name of one of the main home worlds in Ratchet and Clank

as well as more robotic-like characters and designs

Spyro 3 was most obvious as Agent 9 controls very much like Ratchet including the ability to strafe while shooting and throw grenade

Spyro 2+3 has a lot of elements that would later be used in Ratchet and Clank including an early design of clank

Spyro 2 'Metropolis' level is a futuristic level containing a robot character very similar to Clank, Metropolis is also the name of one of the main home worlds in Ratchet and Clank

as well as more robotic-like characters and designs

Spyro 3 was most obvious as Agent 9 controls very much like Ratchet including the ability to strafe while shooting and throw grenade

Damn how did Spyro's model look so fucking good on PS1? That's PS2 quality.

Wario actually debuted three years before Super Mario Land on the TV show:

66a9rFO.jpg

Source.

Toads may have originally been female. There was a 1986 Mario anime accompanying the release of Mario 2/Lost Levels, and in it the Toads Mario rescues at the end of the "levels" are Peach's obviously-female handmaidens.

Also worth mentioning is that this movie is the source of Luigi's weird blue-and-yellow alternate color scheme in Smash Bros:

luigi-alternate-colors.png

Oh, and there's a scene where Luigi gets high on a poison 'shroom. Just saying.

("Borrowed" from: http://www.backofthecerealbox.com/2014/09/toad-mushroom-retainer-female.html)

While most Pokemon Yellow anime references are fairly obvious three that I feel go unnoticed are,

- Muk becomes a catchable Pokemon at the Power Plant. This is a direct reference to the Muk Ash caught in the anime.
- Dragonair becomes a catchable Pokemon in the Safari Zone. This is a direct reference to the Warden's Dragonair in the banned Japenese episode.
- Charizard is able to learn the move Fly, which he was unable to do in Res and Blue. This is a direct reference to Ash Charizard who can Fly in the anime.

Additionally you can fit AJ and his Sandshrew and the Coupoe from the School of Hard Knocks. But those have been mentioned in this thread I believe.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
- Charizard is able to learn the move Fly, which he was unable to do in Res and Blue. This is a direct reference to Ash Charizard who can Fly in the anime.

Gonna get anal here, but Ash's Charizard does not know "Fly". In Japan, Fly's name is much more specific...it's Sora Wo Tabo, which is like "fly into the sky". So it makes it clearer it's different from simply the ability to fly. I don't think Ash has ever commanded it specifically to use that move.

Of course, they probably gave him Fly since he's a Flying-type, clearly able to transport the player character, and has wings.

I think the original name is probably why most Bug-type Pokemon with wings cannot learn it, since I don't believe bugs can reach the same height as birds can?

I played Ninja Gaiden as a child and had no idea that "Lukifell" was a bad romanization of ルキフェル , which is the "correct" classical Latin pronunciation of Lucifer. Not until much later, seeing the name in katakana, did the truth jump out at me. Parthena パルテナ becoming "Palutena" in Kid Icarus is another; the non-classically-trained translators are stuck guessing whether it's R or L, and often they guess wrong.

It's not just games either. There was an amusing example of a Japanese Transformers character named 'Minerva' which came out as this due to wrong guessed on the L/R and V/B front:

On the subject of Japanese, I've been studying the language recently and stumbled on this kanji: 夭 (ヨウ, meaning calamity/early death)

I was instantly struck by the resemblance to the Kanji which appears on Akuma's back: 天 (テン, meaning heavens/sky)

I know it's officially been referred to in game as 'ten' but I can't help wondering if Capcom mixed this up somewhere down the line. The meaning of 夭 seems to fit better with the character and other Kanji associated with him (滅, Metsu/Destruction) for example. Plus the top stroke of the Kanji in game usually seems closer to the shorter angled right to left 夭 than the longer straight horizontal left to right stroke of 天.

Or am I just mad?

Rodney

Neo Member
This one has three instances of the word BOGI in yellow; I can't figure out what that means, but the light blue sign at the top right reveals that that building is a BANK.

Bogi is the nickname of Boglárka, a girls' name.

The boss Papa Carlo has RABA written on its body. This is the name of an automotive company in Györ, but that could be coincidental. And what are those X's and lines on the front?

RABA (Rába) is very well-know in Hungary, so I don't think it's a coincidence.

Now I'm fascinated by Hungarian runes and want to learn all about them. Seems that Hungarians are still using them. Check out this street sign!

I suppose every Hungarian fan of Sine Mora picked this up right away, but for those of us who were uninitiated, this is a great easter egg!

Rovásírás is indeed very interesting it's a shame that the far-right basically monopolised their use as Hungarian supremacy symbols.

Not mine; it's from this thread, but this:

Acclaim_entertainment.png

says "Acclaim", not "Akklaim".

I knew that - saw it in regular print so many times back then that I never had a chance to mess it up - but I still think it's a good one.

Axass

So Raccoon Mario was supposed to be in Super Mario World, woah! Never knew this.

What about the second one, what I'm I supposed to see there? I see Diskun but nothing else I know about. Looks like a vending machine.

Top Bottom