• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

flkraven

I just found out that SEGA/MS were so close that the original Xbox was almost backwards compatible with the Dreamcast. That blew my damn mind.

aMxuPwk.gif

Roto13

Today, my morning shower epiphany is that you can't have a grid pattern on a sphere and have the squares all be the same size and shape. This means the special stages in Sonic 3 are shaped like donuts, not spheres. They just look spherical because of camera tricks. (It's a fisheye lens effect.)

RoadDogg

Today, my morning shower epiphany is that you can't have a grid pattern on a sphere and have the squares all be the same size and shape. This means the special stages in Sonic 3 are shaped like donuts, not spheres. They just look spherical because of camera tricks. (It's a fisheye lens effect.)

???
stock-photo-checker-ball-clipping-path-included-1742702.jpg

Roto13

That's a circle, not a sphere. :p

I'll illustrate with some Christmas ornaments I still have hanging around because I'm lazy. You can also do all of this in real life by just drawing a grid on a golf ball or something you have laying around.

If the lines are all the same length, they look like this from the side, but they're not evenly spaced all the way along the line.

Once they hit the top or the bottom (the poles), they run together.

You can have lines that are evenly spaced, but they're not the same length.

So you end up with this.

Put those two types of lines together, and the spaces close to the poles become triangles. You see this on a globe that shows longitude and latitude, at the north and south poles.

A sphere with a "grid" on it that doesn't eventually result in triangles looks like this, but these squares aren't uniform.

By the way, this was covered ages ago in this thread, but world maps for games like Final Fantasy VI are also donut shaped, because flying straight north forever loops you to your relative position on the bottom edge of the map, instead of eventually leading to a north pole. On a sphere, heading north from any position will eventually lead you to the north pole.

zeldablue

The tree area inside the moon in Majora's Mask is shaped like the Mask of Truth

o1HJM.jpg

e2MC0.jpg

R5MaZ.jpg

25cHno3.png

"This is the Mask of Truth. It is a mysterious mask passed down by the Sheikah. With this mask, you can see into other people's minds... It's useful, but scary! Why is it scary? You may find out as you grow older and discover the true meaning of life... Ho ho ho!"

It all makes sense now. And that crazy mofo totally foreshadowed this in Ocarina of Time.

wNQeTtY.png

No wonder the Mask of Truth is on the cover of the remake. The whole game is about the Happy Mask Salesman forcing Link to see the "truth" by peering really deeply into the scarier parts of the human mind.

*Mind explodes*

Ok maybe I'm stupid or something but I really think that Alessa from Konami's Silent Hill is somehow inspired by Porky from Nintendo's Mother series.

Alessa (Silent Hill):
g6u2CFN.jpg

DNW1Ye1.jpg
(movie version)

Porky:
B2dNeLj.jpg

4KaLbbg.png

0QhfvrD.jpg

That's a circle, not a sphere. :p

I'll illustrate with some Christmas ornaments I still have hanging around because I'm lazy. You can also do all of this in real life by just drawing a grid on a golf ball or something you have laying around.

If the lines are all the same length, they look like this from the side, but they're not evenly spaced all the way along the line.

Once they hit the top or the bottom (the poles), they run together.

You can have lines that are evenly spaced, but they're not the same length.

So you end up with this.

Put those two types of lines together, and the spaces close to the poles become triangles. You see this on a globe that shows longitude and latitude, at the north and south poles.

A sphere with a "grid" on it that doesn't eventually result in triangles looks like this, but these squares aren't uniform.

By the way, this was covered ages ago in this thread, but world maps for games like Final Fantasy VI are also donut shaped, because flying straight north forever loops you to your relative position on the bottom edge of the map, instead of eventually leading to a north pole. On a sphere, heading north from any position will eventually lead you to the north pole.

Of course! You loose your squares when you shrink to a point. That's why the fundamental group of the sphere is trivial while that of the donut is the cross product of integers.

#topologyexplainsall

OnPoint

Back in the day, folks who wanted a little crimson in their Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis had to put in a code. That code was A B A C A B B

For years, at least for me, that string of letters has been synonymous with punching people so hard they bleed.

However, today, I found out that 'ABACAB' may mean something different to some people. That it is, in fact, an album by the band Genesis.

Back in the day, folks who wanted a little crimson in their Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis had to put in a code. That code was A B A C A B B

For years, at least for me, that string of letters has been synonymous with punching people so hard they bleed.

However, today, I found out that 'ABACAB' may mean something different to some people. That it is, in fact, an album by the band Genesis.

lol ok, this is good!

sn00zer

The Order 1886 engine is a heavily modified version of RAD's PSP engine..... so I dont want to hear anybody saying "Oh this game is based on a modified such and such engine so it will be limited by X, Y, and Z"

that one is new for me. good stuff.

karobit

The Order 1886 engine is a heavily modified version of RAD's PSP engine..... so I dont want to hear anybody saying "Oh this game is based on a modified such and such engine so it will be limited by X, Y, and Z"

I honestly spent more than a moment thinking "R... Robot Alchemic Drive?!"

mclem

I'm pretty sure that internally they're just grids, rendered in a form that looks like a sphere. The topology of a wraparound grid is the same as the topology of a ring doughnut, anyhow.

Leezard

The over world of DQIII looks a lot like our world. Imagine a map being split along the Atlantic ocean, with North and South America on the eastern edge.

They're not subtle about it in many cases, either. "Castle Town of Portoga" (Portugal), "Castle of Romaly" (Rome, Italy), "Greenlad" (Greenland), for example.

Cheerilee

The over world of DQIII looks a lot like our world. Imagine a map being split along the Atlantic ocean, with North and South America on the eastern edge.

Aliahan (the birthplace of the hero and starting point of the game) is Atlantis, it's just not located where Plato believed. It's in the South Pacific, rather than in the Atlantic, just outside of the Mediterranean.

Dragon Quest's Kingdom of Aliahan once ruled the world with advanced teleportation technology, but their civilization fell, and their last remaining Travel Door connects to the southern tip of Rome, suggesting to some observers that you (the player) have just come in off the Mediterranean.

Forkball

Here's one I just found out. Bizarro Sephiroth is a boss in FFVII.

Bizarro_sephiroth.png

What's the deal with the name? Turns out his Japanese name is Rebirth Sephiroth, which makes more sense given the story. However, the Japanese Katakana was a bit ambiguous and the translators thought it was "Reverse" Sephiroth, so they went with that idea and named him Bizarro Sephiroth.

Couple of random findings I wanted to share. Nothing mind-blowing, just interesting...

Final Fantasy VIII Soundtrack...

I always noticed that the in-game version of the track "Unrest" had a slight modification that plays during the scene when Squall and company are waiting for their SeeD entrance exam results...

Check out the part at 18:47 specifically... Now check out the offical soundtrack version. That little rift is missing (it should be at 0:24).

Maybe just a last minute change they made that didn't make it onto the soundtrack CD? Or is it some kind of error in the game's MIDI data? If you listen to the game version, the sound is a little... "strange", after all.

Threads of Fate (Dewprism) Soundtrack...

I have always loved the track "Rasdan" which plays in the final dungeon in Threads of Fate. But I never understood what "Rasdan" meant... that is until I studied the katakana behind the track's title."Rasdan" or ラスダン (Ra-su-dan) is a portmanteau in Japanese of "Last" and "Dungeon" or "Ras-dan".

Maybe this was a well-known thing (I assume it's a commonly-used gaming term in Japan?), but I thought it was interesting to have this track title finally make sense!

Mature

There's an interesting musical callback I found recently in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

In one of the last sequences of the game,
Harry is stranded in the middle of Lake Toluca and desperately swimming towards the light house where he believes Cheryl is.
You can see the scene here. The song that plays during this is called Ice and you can hear it here. It's a sort of haunting melody with the distant sound of a woman's voice. I quite like this track, so when I was recently listening to the Silent Hill 3 OST and heard the track 'A Stray Child' I quickly picked up a similarity in the two. At about 20 seconds into A Stray Child you can very distinctly hear the same sounds that are in Ice rearing up. The scene where A Stray Child shows up is when Heather meets Vincent in the Library and he teases(?) her about them looking like monsters to her— a relatively notable similarity in what Harry is about to realize when he enters the light house. Also that it's referencing another song titled A Stray Child in the first place probably isn't coincidence.

Whether it was intended to be a subliminal aural callback to Cheryl as an adult or simply a neat re-use of the sound, I found it to be interesting.

tenton

Didn't MS develop the operating system for the dreamcast? makes sense

No, they did not. Microsoft ported Windows CE (with Direct X APIs) over to the Dreamcast for easier PC ports, but most developers didn't use WinCE, they used Sega's dev platform and OS. Unless of course one was doing a port of a PC game (e.g. Resident Evil on the Dreamcast was a port of the Windows version).

Now, there seems to be some confusion over what the intention was, but I recall, Windows CE wasn't supposed to be the main OS for most Dreamcast games, merely an option to get the PC developers on board quicker. In the end, most games used the Sega OS and not Windows CE.

Dunan

They're not subtle about it in many cases, either. "Castle Town of Portoga" (Portugal), "Castle of Romaly" (Rome, Italy), "Greenlad" (Greenland), for example.

"Bharat" is the 'correct' name for India, and "Jipang" (the old European rendering of the Chinese word Jih-pên 日本) is right where Japan is. Is "Eginbeat" Edinburgh? Is "Norud" the Russian word narod ('homeland')? There are a couple of others like this.

In Japan, it is standard to put Japan at the center of the world, even if it means that poor Greenland get split in two off at the edges. I suspect that Japanese players of this game didn't even have to make any kind of mental switch to see that as a world map.

EctoPrime

My memory of this might be incorrect but player 2 can troll the first player in Super Mario Bros by pressing start over gaps killing momentum on the NES version which is not possible on the Famicom edition.

Riptastic

Probably already mentioned but whatevs

I always found it mildly interesting that the small flags (cant remember the real term for them) in Majoras Masks Clock Town had the circle, square & triangle from the Playstations joypad.

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not????

majora_s_mask__clocktown_by_uniquelegend-d6x7ovd.jpg

Sadly no "X".

Probably already mentioned but whatevs

I always found it mildly interesting that the small flags (cant remember the real term for them) in Majoras Masks Clock Town had the circle, square & triangle from the Playstations joypad.

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not????

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/342/8/2/majora_s_mask__clocktown_by_uniquelegend-d6x7ovd.jpg[/IG]

Sadly no "X".[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibsLXfQwW2ILeU.gif

Top Bottom