• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Someone needs to explain why it's Oddysee and not Oddysey and then my mind will be blown.
I'm afraid that part is not very interesting. "Odysseia" is localised differently across languages. Some languages like English ended it with "ey", and others would use a double "ee" at the end. There are quite a few more variations as well. It's most likely rooted in local phonetics. The elongated "ee" is not really a sound English uses, and vice versa for the "ey" in many other languages. A lot of these localisations is that a lot of them dropped the "a" at the end for similar regional pronunciation reasons.

Oddworld probably just used one of the other spellings. "Odd"-pun aside, the spelling Oddword employed does read more fluently in English if I'm honest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ive read page 70 now, and I didn't find any shocking secrets about Mario:(. What does the thread title refer to?

[post=9490699]Clouds and bushes in SMB use the same sprite.[/post]

The title refers to post #70 rather than page #70, however, it seems a post on the first page was deleted as it is now post #69.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It took me 8 years to notice this, but "Buoy Base Galaxy" in Super Mario Galaxy is a pun on the famous French fish soup, bouillabaisse, named so because the level is of course shaped as a bowl of liquid.

Huh.
It took me a while to notice a similar joke in Windwaker.
In the german version of the game, Windfall Island is called Port Monee. I never really thought about it cause it made sense. It's a port. Done.

However, Portemonnaie (or, as Wikipedia tells me even Portmonee, making my late discovery even dumber) in german also means "wallet", which makes sense since Windfall Island is the island with the shops on it. I felt really dumb when I realised that. Like, really dumb.

Cade

Huh.
It took me a while to notice a similar joke in Windwaker.
In the german version of the game, Windfall Island is called Port Monee. I never really thought about it cause it made sense. It's a port. Done.

However, Portemonnaie (or, as Wikipedia tells me even Portmonee, making my late discovery even dumber) in german also means "wallet", which makes sense since Windfall Island is the island with the shops on it. I felt really dumb when I realised that. Like, really dumb.

That's a pretty good localization choice considering the original name, Windfall. Are there other localizations of the game with different money-themed names?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That's a pretty good localization choice considering the original name, Windfall. Are there other localizations of the game with different money-themed names?

Not really. Outset Island is called Präludien (in Spirit Tracks the first town was called Prologia, so they really like that joke) which is pretty obvious.

The german translation of Zelda games is consistently pretty good. I like most of the changes they made. (For example Bomb Island is called Isla Bomba which is not quite AS obvious and sounds more exotic)

Probably the greatest (and fucking weirdest) thing they ever put in were those enemies in Link's Awakening that would scream "NOT WITHOUT A CONDOM" and "GIVE ME YOUR JUICE I'LL GIVE YOU MINE" in german. That's....just....weird. WEIRD

FyreWulff

Damnit I just got that too.

Windfall in English is often used to describe getting a lot of money.

And it's the island that has a lot of money.

Cade

Not really. Outset Island is called Präludien (in Spirit Tracks the first town was called Prologia, so they really like that joke) which is pretty obvious.

The german translation of Zelda games is consistently pretty good. I like most of the changes they made. (For example Bomb Island is called Isla Bomba which is not quite AS obvious and sounds more exotic)

Probably the greatest (and fucking weirdest) thing they ever put in were those enemies in Link's Awakening that would scream "NOT WITHOUT A CONDOM" and "GIVE ME YOUR JUICE I'LL GIVE YOU MINE" in german. That's....just....weird. WEIRD

Haha, I'd read about that last one. Very strange. I actually meant if there were localizations of WW in other languages that use other money themed puns for Windfall Island, but thanks for the info :D

Damnit I just got that too.

Windfall in English is often used to describe getting a lot of money.

And it's the island that has a lot of money.

Yeah, it's a pretty good name since at face value it just sounds like a fancy, plausible island name.

Big Nikus

Haha, I'd read about that last one. Very strange. I actually meant if there were localizations of WW in other languages that use other money themed puns for Windfall Island, but thanks for the info :D

In french, it's Mercant'île.
Ile = island in french.

Chrozi

Neo Member
I personally think that games like Sewer Shark and Night Trap were originally going to be this type of VHS game system is still way bizarre to me (and the system was supposed to come out in the late 80s.). Those are two that I can think of.

Project NEMO developed by Hasbro. I actually talked to one of the creators, Al Nilson, at PAX East and asked how the unit would jump between video on a VHS tape. He said the frames were interlaced and the unit would play just the frames for a specific scene. The technology worked but was prohibitively expensive to mass produce the units.

Peach's castle on the Super Mario 64 box art looks like a Super Mario Galaxy planet.

Miniature spherical planets have been a thing in the Mario series well before Super Mario Galaxy:

udTgBWg.jpg

(and of course Yoshi's Island in gameplay)

mclem

That's not the pun there. Mercantile is a merchant themed word, much like windfall (in English and French; actually Mercant isle might be a more effective pun than your suggested one).

But the point of the pun is that it has a double-meaning, and 'Ile' for Isle is the bit that might need explaining to the average non-French reader!

In Hyrule Warriors there's a glitch that allows characters to swap weapons and animations with other characters.

For those who haven't played the game, Lana has a weapon called the Summon Gate which lets her summon mini-bosses. While she does so she sings notes from the classic Zelda theme.

https://youtu.be/2kxHanJbsa8?t=179

If you use the glitch to have Zelda use it, she actually sings Zelda's Lullaby instead
https://youtu.be/s7-6M6Ydk5M?t=25

Link can do it too, but he just does this weird gargling scream instead of singing:
https://youtu.be/U84YVzNtQvA?t=138

Loptous

I just realized that you can move the camera around on the download screen of the 3DS eshop.
/mind blown

There's nothing to see though

In Super Mario World getting all the secret exits in the Valley of Bowser makes the map look like this:
ValleyOfBowser.png

81 is the amount of exits in the game, minus the front door, back door, and the Star world levels.

Also, the year a certain little fella (eventually) named Mario made his debut!

Jaeger

Karin Kanzuki would have possibly made her first original appearance in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, where what looks to be a completely finished stance based on Sakura's own laying in the code near Dan's sprites. Her appearance is based on her original in Sakura Ganbaru! manga, with boots instead of sneakers.

jtvKUvM.gif

Of course, she eventually went on to debut in Street Fighter Zero 3, instead.

a1VCVJj.png

Guybrush Threepwood in Monkey Island 2 (and 1) is actually quite tall if you play with a correct screen aspect ratio or on an actual 4:3 CRT screen. He was never meant to be short and chubby; his design from the third game doesn't really come out of nowhere.

epmode

a1VCVJj.png

Guybrush Threepwood in Monkey Island 2 (and 1) is actually quite tall if you play with a correct screen aspect ratio or on an actual 4:3 CRT screen. He was never meant to be short and chubby; his design from the third game doesn't really come out of nowhere.

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about DOS aspect ratios. Lots of old VGA games ran at 320x200 and the CRT monitors stretched them vertically to fill the screen. So the pixels were actually tall rectangles instead of perfect squares.

DOSBox provides an option to correct the aspect ratio so the games display properly on modern monitors but it's not always enabled by default.

In Super Mario World getting all the secret exits in the Valley of Bowser makes the map look like this:
ValleyOfBowser.png

81 is the amount of exits in the game, minus the front door, back door, and the Star world levels.

I'm a bit late to the party but I saw your post quoted all the time here and was thinking "Huh that's how my game also always looked, what's so special about it and 81 exits? o.o" Then as I just scrolled upwards and saw it again I just let out a audible "Holy... D:" Well done Nintendo, so many years later! :p

Erika the Celadon gym leader in Pokemon Red and Blue is notorious for "dozing" off and sleeping.

This is due to that in every appearance in the series she has a Pokemon who can induce sleep using "Sleep Powder".

Celadon Gym is also home to Kanto's one and only Peeping Tom.

mqdefault.jpg

Predatory rape reference.

Erika the Celadon gym leader in Pokemon Red and Blue is notorious for "dozing" off and sleeping.

This is due to that in every appearance in the series she has a Pokemon who can induce sleep using "Sleep Powder".

Celadon Gym is also home to Kanto's one and only Peeping Tom.

mqdefault.jpg

Predatory rape reference.

The fact that people still adore Mario. Hey, I liked the guy too... when I was fucking 8.

DMC and NG fans don't generally get along. Seriously guys it's time we cut this shit out.

Having a go at Mario or at Mario games?

Because he's pretty bland as a character, but Mario games have never stopped being amazing.

Dunkley

Having a go at Mario or at Mario games?

Because he's pretty bland as a character, but Mario games have never stopped being amazing.

The time between his post and your reply is longer than the amount of years Link spent being sealed away in the Sacred Realm after pulling out the Master Sword.

I have my doubts that he could explain a stance he took on this a little more than 7 years in the past.

Weiss

Banned
I think I found a way to work around the texture glitch when you play Psychonauts on the 360.

Nearly every time you pause it messes up Raz's textures, but I've found that by entering the Items and Skills menu by pressing left or right on the D-Pad, and then pressing start, Raz's textures will stay the same.

I tried pausing the game the regular way a whole bunch of times after this and I can't get the textures to change either.

Since we're talking EA, do people know the Electronic Arts/Ultima stuff? Can't recall if this has been here before.

[...]

One of the finest, most acclaimed RPGs in history is basically a diss track.

Origin games of the era are filled with this sort of thing. Garriott and the rest of the Origin staff regretted the sale of the company to EA almost instantly*, especially since it was really questionable whether or not they even needed to do so in the first place. The later Wing Commanders might've had trouble shaking out the way they did without EA, but beyond that Origin was actually doing just fine on its own when it was acquired. U7 is not the only one with EA disses; I recall U8 and other products having plenty of them, too, though sadly I don't have examples at hand right now.

*(And boy, were their instincts ultimately right)

Zubz

Banned
So I was listening to a Spotify playlist and this song plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMhcP7ab3k&feature=youtu.be

First thing to pop into my mind is Mario World.

What is the deal with this guy? Has he obtained some rights to that or what?

Original for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j36B92fifJI&feature=youtu.be

I was surprised when I heard my roommate listening to that song the first time. But it's a pretty short sample; so long as it doesn't reach a certain length, you're free to sample it.

Top Bottom