• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gozan said:
That's because the connectors were an industry standard:

I'm not sure that Commodore, Sega, and whoever made the Amstrad using Atari's joystick design made it an "industry standard" -- there were many, MANY other computer and game systems out there at the same time, using a variety of connectors and designs.

Stike

DavidDayton said:
I'm not sure that Commodore, Sega, and whoever made the Amstrad using Atari's joystick design made it an "industry standard" -- there were many, MANY other computer and game systems out there at the same time, using a variety of connectors and designs.

de facto standard

Read.

DDayton

Stike said:

Sigh.

They aren't even a "de facto" standard when they are only used by Atari, Commodore, and Sega... are you aware of how many different game systems and computers were available at that point in time?

The fact that Commodore and Sega (sort of) used Atari-style joysticks and connectors doesn't make it a defacto standard when Apple, Texas Instruments, IBM, Coleco, Intellivision, Radio Shack/Tandy, Timex/Sinclair, and many others all used DIFFERENT connectors and joysticks... not to mention Nintendo.

I'll grant that there was a period in time in which the Atari-styled joysticks were the best selling overall, but the computer/game market of the early 80s was fragmented enough that there was no joystick standard (real or de facto) of any sort.

Stike

Dont discuss with me, take on Gozan and the Wikipedia crew, you are certainly at the right address with them ;)

I just wanted to point out that industry standard and de facto standard are quite a difference ;)

Brashnir

DavidDayton said:

Sigh.

They aren't even a "de facto" standard when they are only used by Atari, Commodore, and Sega... are you aware of how many different game systems and computers were available at that point in time?

The fact that Commodore and Sega (sort of) used Atari-style joysticks and connectors doesn't make it a defacto standard when Apple, Texas Instruments, IBM, Coleco, Intellivision, Radio Shack/Tandy, Timex/Sinclair, and many others all used DIFFERENT connectors and joysticks... not to mention Nintendo.

I'll grant that there was a period in time in which the Atari-styled joysticks were the best selling overall, but the computer/game market of the early 80s was fragmented enough that there was no joystick standard (real or de facto) of any sort.

PCs used the same connectors too, only not for joysticks. They were used primarily for mouse connections prior to the PS/2 port gaining popularity. The interface is the direct precursor to USB.

Cheerilee

Gozan said:
That's because the connectors were an industry standard:
In 93/94, Atari sued Sega for violating 70 different Atari-held patents. One of which, I remember people mentioning at the time, was for using that off-the-shelf controller port in the Master System and the Genesis. They settled out of court, with Sega giving Atari $50 million in cash and agreeing to buy another $40 million worth of Atari stock (so basically, Sega lost $90 million).

That's why everybody stopped using that port.

JHarris

I'll try one....

The opening music in Mega Man II, before the game starts? It leads off with much of the ending theme to the original Mega Man. (Probably some know this already, but it took me by surprise back when I first played it.)

JHarris said:
I'll try one....

The opening music in Mega Man II, before the game starts? It leads off with much of the ending theme to the original Mega Man. (Probably some know this already, but it took me by surprise back when I first played it.)
Wait, the opening music to Mega Man II uses part of the same music to a game in the series that came directly before? SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
alnjty.jpg
The fact "sega" is a colloquial Italian word for masturbation makes this ad incredibly creepy.
This is also the reason why Italian ads used to pronounce Sega more like an English word (but kids weren't stupid and used to joke about it anyway) than a Japanese one.

mclem

DavidDayton said:

Just a quickie: While the default Timex/Sinclair joystick was a different standard (albeit the same port shape) as that system, the extremely popular Kempston interface used that system. Since I grew up with Spectrums, I always consider it to be the Kempston standard since it's what I encountered first.

In the UK there did seem to be a period in the early eighties where that standard was supported on all the most popular systems; I think the NES was the only major exception.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not all that mind blowing, but did anyone else notice the GBA Player's start up disk was in a Japanese gamecube game case?

Jazzem

Drkirby said:
Not all that mind blowing, but did anyone else notice the GBA Player's start up disk was in a Japanese gamecube game case?

That must be a US/JP thing as my PAL GBA Player disk is in a standard western GC case.

Koshiro said:
I remember seeing the first part of the (terrible) Shenmue Online trailer that was at ChinaJoy, but I don't recall seeing the second part: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaUvDUYRsY <-- SPOILERS.

This basically shows you what was going to happen in Shenmue after 2:
transporting into the past, Lan Di destroying the world with a giant dragon, Sha Hua being transported with her fancy old-style Chinese clothing
... it's all there.

So (and I can't believe I'm saying this) maybe it's better that the series never continued? : \

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jazzem said:
That must be a US/JP thing as my PAL GBA Player disk is in a standard western GC case.
Most likely, though its that way with all GBA players in the US. I only realized it though today when I saw a startup disk's case that still had the cardboard sleeve on it and it clicked, and that finally answers why the GBA Player's Star Up Disk's box had a Memory card slot in it, since I always used to think it was custom for it.

DDayton

mclem said:
In the UK there did seem to be a period in the early eighties where that standard was supported on all the most popular systems; I think the NES was the only major exception.

Well, to be fair, it was supported by the Atari 2600, Atari ST, C64, Amiga, Master System and Genesis... and (aside from the 2600) those tended to have a much larger presence in Europe and the UK than they did in the USA. As far as I know, the Amstrad was never even released over here...

Eiji

Tntnnbltn said:
From another (now locked) thread...

What the hell is Dhalsim doing inside E.Honda's thousand hand slap?

PS: Mind blown. I will never see the cover the same way again :lol

Azure J

Thread title needs to be changed to reflect the new cloud bush that is the Turbo cover. I shat a brick myself because I have a copy of the game (found randomly in my old apartment), never had an SNES, never played it, busted it out after I saw that just to be sure, and had a O_O face the whole time. :lol

Edit - Holy shit at Wiintel. :O

From a previous page...
la.gif

A Black Falcon said:
What? That's not true at all! You're right that the two were based off of the same template, but they aren't identical, obviously. If you look at the ends of the sword, you see the last two black pixels on the end of the sword stick out on their own, beyond the lines made by the two edges of the sword.

Think of it this way: the tip of the sword blade is going under Link's hand, under the sprite.

Magnus

Miles Prower.

Miles Per Hour.

First blowing of the mind for me in awhile in this thread. Wow. :lol Dhalsim on the SF2 Turbo cover had me shit bricks too.

The Goldeneye/Mario in Sonic 1 images are both ridiculous stretches. That's his hand holding the gun on the cover, and Mario just isn't there in the image, they're lions.

The SF2 hadoken/fireball/hands bullshit still blows my mind. I've asked everyone I know who plays games and no one ever noticed it. :lol

CaVaYeRo

TJ Spyke said:
That people can misspell game and franchise names even after multiple entries and years. Examples:

1)People typing "Megaman" instead of "Mega Man"
2)People typing "Starfox" instead of "Star Fox"
3)People typing "Sim City" instead of "SimCity"
4)People typing "X-Box" or "XBox" instead of "Xbox"

and the one that bugs me the most:
5)People typing "Wiimote" or "Wii-mote" instead of "Wii Remote"
This is even worse, including most "pro" journalist:
6) People typing and saying "Nintendo Wii" insted of what Nintendo clearly said in the console name PR: "Wii".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kulock said:
From a previous page...

Think of it this way: the tip of the sword blade is going under Link's hand, under the sprite.

Ich can totally agree to the "same sprite" idea. So I'd say they are indeed exactly the same sprites. Only switched and recolored.
To make it more clear.

13z3b0k.gif

The hand is the top layer.

Top Bottom