• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Maldoror

Remember Ocarina of Time ? The three notes from the royal family song (Zelda's Lullaby) you played with the Ocarina (left, up, right, left, up, right) ?
Play it backwards, change the tempo, and there it is.

I'm just talking about these 3 notes played twice, the rest of Midna's theme is totally new.

Just a coincidence, but Midna's theme backwards isn't Zelda's theme.

The notes I'm hearing are:

C#-G#-D#

For it to be Zelda's theme reversed (in a different key) it would have to be:

C#-F#-D#

MNC

DieNgamers said:
What?

Also, I don't hear Zelda's theme in Midna's theme at all.
Well, I don't recall that reversed thing being a song. Those two links are reversed versions of what might have been midna's musical theme mentioned some posts earlier.

Donkey Thong said:
HOLY MOTHERTRUCKING SHIT!

This is the first one since the cloud/bush that has really blown my mind. I'm shocked that the tanooki shadow got more responses than this.

Hoyl fucking fuck I NEVER noticed that shit.

Can't be unseen, CAN'T BE UNSEEN!!!!!

My whole adolescent life was a lie. Fuck you capcom.

Ventrue

PseudoKirby said:
uh.... when an Elite is saying wort wort wort in halo they are saying GO GO GO backwards..

Probably well known, but when a zombie catches fire in HL2, it is a backwards recording of a guy screaming oh god etc.

mrgone

"This video is not available in your country"

What the FUCK, now Youtube is region restricting? It's bad enough getting the "SILENCE FOREIGNER" treatment on the various cable stations' and content providers' own sites, but now fucking youtube? This shit is bullshit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
mrgone said:

What the FUCK, now Youtube is region restricting? It's bad enough getting the "SILENCE FOREIGNER" treatment on the various cable stations' and content providers' own sites, but now fucking youtube? This shit is bullshit.
I've noticed this happen to some videos too. Completely ridiculous.

Shoogoo

mrgone said:

Same here gaddammit, since when the internet is limited by country borders?

Kulock said:
From a previous page...
la.gif

Think of it this way: the tip of the sword blade is going under Link's hand, under the sprite.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think so. Look at those sprites again... the upper one, with the sword, is one pixel back of the lower one. This partially disguises the fact that the hand with sword is in fact two pixels longer than the hand with staff. With sprite art like this, two pixels matters. As I said, both ends of the sword have been cut off and pushed in to form the staff... the pointy end has been pushed in to form a flat end (facing against Link's hand) that reduces by one pixel the length of the weapon, and where with the sword there are black border pixels on both the sword and hand (making for a two pixel border between the two), with the staff there is only a one pixel border. Your explanation here is that 'well, that other border row is underneath, inside/under his hand'. Okay, reasonable... but still, the fact is, the shape of the end of the item is different. Even was the two-pixel border restored and the staff would still have a different (flat) shape on both ends, unlike the sword and hand's pointy tips. Do you see what I mean? It's very hard to be specific here...

Toma said:
Ich can totally agree to the "same sprite" idea. So I'd say they are indeed exactly the same sprites. Only switched and recolored.
To make it more clear.

13z3b0k.gif

The hand is the top layer.

Yeah, that helps a lot... that would be a good explanation for what they did, yes. But the fact is, the resulting sprites are different because of the changes to the borders... it makes for a different look and a different actual resulting sprite. But that's probably what they did to change it, yes... so is it 'the exact same sprite'? Mostly, but they modified it with more than just colors and direction. They changed the position (pushing the two together by two pixels -- compare the total lengths of the final sprites, the one with sword is two pixels longer than the one with staff. This is partially hidden by the fact that the upper Link sprite is shifted back one pixel when compared to the lower one, but it's obvious once you notice that) of the object as well.

Is it supposed to be something like 'with the sword, there is a hilt in his hands that you can't see, but with the staff, he has to hold it a bit farther up because it's a shorter object' or something like that?

Vitet

SuperAngelo64 said:
Just a coincidence, but Midna's theme backwards isn't Zelda's theme.

The notes I'm hearing are:

C#-G#-D#

For it to be Zelda's theme reversed (in a different key) it would have to be:

C#-F#-D#

In any case, Midna's theme is Hyrule Field Theme (obviously from TP) in slow piano

Redd

Holy Mother, I never noticed Dhalsim in the E Honda Thousand Hand Slap. This and the Bush are hands down the best I've seen in the thread. How the heck did I miss that.:lol

mrgone said:

Can't you use a proxy from America to view the content?

Struct09

BlacKMaRK said:
http://www.wikicheats.com/images/7/7d/Ratchet_and_Clank_Going_Commando_Logo.jpg[IMG]

in the logo for Racthet and clank 2(going commando), the title of the game is written on a metallic "2". see it?[/QUOTE]

To add to this, here's the logo of Up Your Arsenal:

[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/2090va0.jpg

They flipped the ampersand so that it looks like a 3

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SDZeta said:
Ahhh and anyone else got shit scared when they noticed the 2 faces in Secret of Mana? I noticed one of them when I played for the first time 10 years ago and it freaked me out.

secret01.jpg

Why would they do that? Whyyyyy.
They mouth "Elvis is alive." Much like the face on Mars.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
eh, that sound is everywhere (even though it's comically awful). It was in one of MGS4's trailers as well.

DavidDayton said:
They aren't even a "de facto" standard when they are only used by Atari, Commodore, and Sega... are you aware of how many different game systems and computers were available at that point in time?

The fact that Commodore and Sega (sort of) used Atari-style joysticks and connectors doesn't make it a defacto standard when Apple, Texas Instruments, IBM, Coleco, Intellivision, Radio Shack/Tandy, Timex/Sinclair, and many others all used DIFFERENT connectors and joysticks... not to mention Nintendo.

I'll grant that there was a period in time in which the Atari-styled joysticks were the best selling overall, but the computer/game market of the early 80s was fragmented enough that there was no joystick standard (real or de facto) of any sort.
I hate to break your bubble, but it was a de facto standard, at least on the console side of things. ColecoVision and Intellivision II both used DB-9 connectors. In fact, ColecoVision controllers worked on other DB-9 based systems and, depending on the game, DB-9 based generic controllers would work on ColecoVision. I never had a Intellivision II (just the original model) so I'm not sure about compatibility on that one.

DB-9
------
Amstrad
Atari 2600
Atari 7800
ColecoVision/ADAM
Commodore VIC-20/64/128/4/16
Commodore Amiga/CD32
Intellivision II
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis

...and that's just the biggies. I'm sure I've forgotten one or two. Several of those systems were very successful. Successful enough that I remember third-party joysticks not bothering to say what they were compatible with.

And to put a little perspective on that list, the 2600 came out in 1977, the CD32 was "supported" until 1995. It's as much of a de facto standard as there ever is going to be on consoles.

Wow, the Simon's Quest ripoff is shameless. :lol

A Black Falcon said:
Is it supposed to be something like 'with the sword, there is a hilt in his hands that you can't see, but with the staff, he has to hold it a bit farther up because it's a shorter object' or something like that?

Yes. It's just clever recycling for the limited storage and memory of the Game Boy.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Squirrel Killer said:
I hate to break your bubble, but it was a de facto standard, at least on the console side of things. ColecoVision and Intellivision II both used DB-9 connectors. In fact, ColecoVision controllers worked on other DB-9 based systems and, depending on the game, DB-9 based generic controllers would work on ColecoVision. I never had a Intellivision II (just the original model) so I'm not sure about compatibility on that one.

Bother... I have a Colecovision in my closet, too... how did I not notice that?

I might be willing to give in and agree that it was a "video game system de facto connector standard during the early 80s"...

(Grumbles)

Top Bottom