• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

rocK`

Banned
Blutonium said:
The power selection menu in Prototype uses practically the same sound that Goldeneye 64 uses when you get hit by bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIKjS1s0Eg (skip to 1:00)

The cruise map in Street Fighter 4 uses the same sound as the rocket launcher from Goldeneye 64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iK3m0MYInw (skip to 0:38)

Might be some 'Wilhelm-scream' kind of thing that's going on here

I don't think they are 'Goldeneye' sounds, because Goldeneye the game uses a lot of regular movie sounds, like getting chopped in Goldeneye is a very familiar tv/movie sound

Kulock said:
Their names were puns and references.

Morton's named after Morton Downey Jr., Roy after Roy Orbison I think it was (in reference to his big glasses), and so on. Some were named after Nintendo staff I think, so it's not all celeb references.

One of the most obvious is the Ludwig Von Koopa after Ludwig Van Beethoven, and all the compose symphony stuff they tell you when you beat him in Super Mario World.

dave_d

Ferrio said:
Named after an actor eh?

Umm Morton Downey Jr was a talk show host in the 80's. On the other Roy Orbison was quite frankly one of the most legendary singer/songwriters of rock/pop music.

GCX

The Mario 3 thing officially blew my mind.

I always thought what a weird idea the animal costumes were but even those make sense now.

Kulock said:
Some were named after Nintendo staff I think, so it's not all celeb references.

Lemmy (of Motörhead), Iggy (Pop), Wendy O. (Williams), and Roy (Orbison) are all musicians. Morton (Downey) Jr. and Larry (King) are TV talk show hosts.

UraMallas

Unfortunately the only World in SMB3 that is like that is the first one. After that they go to other worlds. Basically, it's World 1's theme, just like World 2 is a desert and World 3 is a water world. World 4 is giant, World 5 is sky, World 6 is ice, World 7 is plant/pipe, World 8 is underground/fire/Bowser.

As far as I can remember, the only stages that used the bolts and whatnot are in World 1. It's simply the "theme" of that world. I guess, if you never knew that that was the theme, that could be the mindblowing truth gleaned from that post. You could argue that the first world was part of a play until the end of it?

Ferrio

Banned
UraMallas said:
Unfortunately the only World in SMB3 that is like that is the first one. After that they go to other worlds. Basically, it's World 1's theme, just like World 2 is a desert and World 3 is a water world. World 4 is giant, World 5 is sky, World 6 is ice, World 7 is plant/pipe, World 8 is underground/fire/Bowser.

As far as I can remember, the only stages that used the bolts and whatnot are in World 1. It's simply the "theme" of that world. I guess, if you never knew that that was the theme, that could be the mindblowing truth gleaned from that post. You could argue that the first world was part of a play until the end of it?

What about the airship levels? Mario doesn't actually move forward, but airship moves backwards like a set would for an actor on a stage.

UraMallas

Ferrio said:
What about the airship levels? Mario doesn't actually move forward, but airship moves backwards like a set would for an actor on a stage.
I see what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that no other world is like that. It can be thought of as World 1's theme. "Theatre," or something. That's how I always thought of it. I remember when I first played it I made that connection and I guess it's kind of just stuck, I used to call it "Play World" or "Theatre World."

NR1

Going along the same lines as the SMB3 revelation, Yoshi's Island takes place in a coloring book.

Baby Mario= Coloring Book

The entire world is colored in crayon. The DS sequel failed to replicate this style too well, which is one reason I don't much care for it.

YoshisIsland_jeu1.png

Super_Mario_World_2_Yoshis_Island_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Yoshi's Story was much less subtle with it's pop-up book/ Play-Doh appearance.

Vitet

charlequin said:
Lemmy (of Motörhead), Iggy (Pop), Wendy O. (Williams), and Roy (Orbison) are all musicians. Morton (Downey) Jr. and Larry (King) are TV talk show hosts.
And don't forget Ludwig Von (Beethoven)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I couldn't get a game to fire up on my SNES today so I ejected the cartridge and slammed it in harder. Fixed it. I try the same trick on my 360 and the damn DVD tray just breaks. Mind blown.

The Hermit

charlequin said:

I didn´t said wow, I said holy shit. :O

The thing I am most surprised is that both most shocking revelations are from Mario games, games that almost everyone played yet few noticed their subtleness.
Hence why those little things seems much bigger ...

Boerseun

Banned
tedtropy said:
I couldn't get a game to fire up on my SNES today so I ejected the cartridge and slammed it in harder. Fixed it. I try the same trick on my 360 and the damn DVD tray just breaks. Mind blown.

Surgical alcohol applied to the connectors on the cartridge will solve the problem. If you carry on slamming it in you're likely to damage the connectors and the cartridge slot.

epmode

Ferrio said:
I can't tell if anyone's being serious anymore. It's a forced scrolling stage, done for gameplay purposes. Later Mario games did the same thing. Mario World, for example.

totowhoa

Banned
UraMallas said:

Gamefaqs pic section for SMB3 shows shadows on the skyline and bolted blocks in other worlds. Either way, it's a pretty interesting idea

Darklord

Banned
Atilac said:
Anyone notice the mass effect character in the cinematic trailer for star wars the old republic? You see his face when that fish guy gets spin kicked by the sith. Idk the timings

3531e81.jpg

Him? I think it's just some generic guy which is what Shepperd looks like anyway.

Gagaman

How many of Mario's DID actually happen? Mario 2 was a dream, Mario 3 was a stage performance and Galaxy was re-written as if nothing happened...and Mario 1 had bushes and clouds that looked the same, so THAT can't of happened either except maybe in Mario's mind. :lol

Gagaman said:
How many of Mario's DID actually happen? Mario 2 was a dream, Mario 3 was a stage performance and Galaxy was re-written as if nothing happened...and Mario 1 had bushes and clouds that looked the same, so THAT can't of happened either except maybe in Mario's mind. :lol

I say none of them! Maybe in the real world a toilet cistern fell on Mario's head or something and he's been in a wacky coma ever since. In the very final game he'll wake up to a massive health insurance bill or end up getting institutionalised.. his name probably isn't Mario and he probably doesn't even have a brother! He was an only child, socially inept with women, in a world devoid of colour - a world where plumbing is much less glamorous than it is in the mushroom kingdom.

epmode said:
I can't tell if anyone's being serious anymore. It's a forced scrolling stage, done for gameplay purposes. Later Mario games did the same thing. Mario World, for example.

Super Mario World is a play, too?!??! Holy shit!

samusx

Banned
Isn't like one of the first things he says something along the lines of that he was a reporter.

Mario 64 was not a movie.

I_D

Blutonium said:
The power selection menu in Prototype uses practically the same sound that Goldeneye 64 uses when you get hit by bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIKjS1s0Eg (skip to 1:00)

The cruise map in Street Fighter 4 uses the same sound as the rocket launcher from Goldeneye 64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iK3m0MYInw (skip to 0:38)

Might be some 'Wilhelm-scream' kind of thing that's going on here

I can't even tell you how many games use Jet Force Gemini sounds. I lost count a long time ago.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, here is a little tip that blew my mind.

Have a GBMicro? Hold the button to lower the sound while turning it on, the system will start up on mute. Great if you want to play some GBA games but don't want to disturb anyone.

tabsina

Darklord said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/3531e81.jpg

Him? I think it's just some generic guy which is what Shepperd looks like anyway.

Hrm.. that one actually reminds me more of Alex Mercer of Prototype.. don't really recall what Shepperd looks like atm though

Immortal_Daemon said:
I can't even tell you how many games use Jet Force Gemini sounds. I lost count a long time ago.
I swear Rare created a sound library from the effects in that game and then sold it to every developer making a game set in the future. Hell, they're even in Infamous.

I still really wish they would release a fully orchestrated soundtrack for Jet Force Gemini.

wRATH2x

Banned
NR1 said:
Going along the same lines as the SMB3 revelation, Yoshi's Island takes place in a coloring book.

Baby Mario= Coloring Book

The entire world is colored in crayon. The DS sequel failed to replicate this style too well, which is one reason I don't much care for it.

YoshisIsland_jeu1.png

Super_Mario_World_2_Yoshis_Island_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Yoshi's Story was much less subtle with it's pop-up book/ Play-Doh appearance.
Now this I knew about.

-Eddman-

In Pokemon Silver, the pokedex entry for Xatu, the psychic type bird says: "In South America, it is said that its right eye sees the future and its left eye views the past."

So, Pokemon = real world?

UraMallas

HomerSimpson-Man said:
SMB3...stage show....all this time....

...Oh my god...
It's not, though! Only the first world is like this, the rest of the game is not. It's the theme of that world.

-Eddman- said:
In Pokemon Silver, the pokedex entry for Xatu, the psychic type bird says: "In South America, it is said that its right eye sees the future and its left eye views the past."

So, Pokemon = real world?
I don't get this. What are you saying?

DanteFox

UraMallas said:
It's not, though! Only the first world is like this, the rest of the game is not. It's the theme of that world.

That pokemon isn't supposed to take place in the same world as the one we live in.

-Eddman-

UraMallas said:

Like DanteFox said, Pokemon is supposed to be a fictional world with fantasy regions like Hoenn, Johto, et al. Pokemon Silver contradicts this notion.

Top Bottom