• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kirk said:
I know I posted this somewhere else before, and it's not terribly mind-blowing, but I love this thread, and I thought I'd contribute.

I was always a little mystified as a kid by the names of the characters in Golden Axe, such as Ax=Battler and Death=Adder. Why the equals sign? I thought they were trying to equate the characters to the magic that they used. Death used the Adder magic, so he was "Adder", and so on.

Much much later I discovered that they were double hyphens, not equals signs. Probably the most notable place you've seen a double hyphen is in the name Waldorf=Astoria. Double hyphens are often used in Japanese when writing foreign names to separate the last name from the first name, since traditionally Japanese doesn't have the concept of spaces. I guess somebody kept the hyphens in the names in Golden Axe even though they were using English, probably not aware that it would look strange.

Why%20does%20it%20glow%20Jesus.JPG

First time I see double hyphens in my life. I think the more frequent way of separating a first name from a last name in Japanese is this dot: ・. For instance: デス・アダー (Death Adder). Apparently it's called "chûten", or "middle point" or something.

Not saying you're wrong though, it's just that I'd never seen double hyphens up until now, let alone in lieu of a chûten.

Chao

eXistor said:
I literally just found out something cool about Zelda II, which may or not be an extremely old and well-known thing.

I've been playing Zelda II these last few days after replaying the first Zelda after many years (both games still rock btw.) and in Zelda II when you get to the south of the map, you get to Death Mountain to get the Hammer, at the very base of the map is what looks like a recreation of the entire Zelda 1 map in miniature. It all fits, where Spectacle Rock is, lake Hylia (if that's what is was even called back then), the river that flows out of it, the cemetary, Lost Woods, all the locations are correct.

Zelda II map:

Zelda 1 map (huge picture)

Again, this may be ancient knowledge, but this is the first time I noticed it, so it may be new to some other gaffers.

I must be blind, I just don't see it :\

Kirk

Kilrogg said:
First time I see double hyphens in my life. I think the more frequent way of separating a first name from a last name in Japanese is this dot: ・. For instance: デス・アダー (Death Adder). Apparently it's called "chûten", or "middle point" or something.

Not saying you're wrong though, it's just that I'd never seen double hyphens up until now, let alone in lieu of a chûten.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%80%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%8F%E3%82%A4%E3%83%95%E3%83%B3

I've seen it sometimes in newspapers. It seems to crop up in photo captions, too, separating the caption from the credit. But you're right, the dot is far more common these days.

Xrenity

TheGrayGhost said:
Dammit, people. Are you guys passed out when playing games? How could you not notice SMB3's clear stylistic choice?

Anyway, that stylistic choice doesn't mean it was all a staged event. That's dumb.
It's not like it matters if it was staged or 'real'. It's not like the Mario games even follow a timeline. :p

Kirk

acidviper said:
What does it say on WW disc. I sold mine a while ago

TheWindWakercd.jpg

Zeruda no densetsu Kaze no takuto

Just the Japanese name of Wind Waker (The Legend of Zelda - The Baton of the Wind)

I had never really taken a close look at these Zelda characters. They're almost entirely legible as Japanese katakana, just highly stylized.

Kirk said:
I know I posted this somewhere else before, and it's not terribly mind-blowing, but I love this thread, and I thought I'd contribute.

I was always a little mystified as a kid by the names of the characters in Golden Axe, such as Ax=Battler and Death=Adder. Why the equals sign? I thought they were trying to equate the characters to the magic that they used. Death used the Adder magic, so he was "Adder", and so on.

Much much later I discovered that they were double hyphens, not equals signs. Probably the most notable place you've seen a double hyphen is in the name Waldorf=Astoria. Double hyphens are often used in Japanese when writing foreign names to separate the last name from the first name, since traditionally Japanese doesn't have the concept of spaces. I guess somebody kept the hyphens in the names in Golden Axe even though they were using English, probably not aware that it would look strange.

Why%20does%20it%20glow%20Jesus.JPG

Awsome, I thought about this too, now I have a good explanation.

Shoogoo

Drkirby said:
Well, here is a little tip that blew my mind.

Have a GBMicro? Hold the button to lower the sound while turning it on, the system will start up on mute. Great if you want to play some GBA games but don't want to disturb anyone.

Its in the instruction booklet :) and it's exactly the same for the DSi too.

Nice find guys, keep it going :D

EatChildren said:
Which is going to be interesting since at the end of Mario Galaxy
the entire galaxy/universe basically ends and is 'rebourn' back to the point where the game initially left off, as if nothing happened. So then we ask ourselves if past Mario titles happened during the universe events of Galaxy, or post rebirth. Is the end of Galaxy actually BEFORE all Marios?

Oh god.
Not just reborn, but reborn to the specifications of Rosalina. She actually reforms the universe to her own liking.
The end of Galaxy was quite awesome. I'm happy I reached 3 times in the last two weeks.

Forkball said:
Here's something trippy I just found out:

Remember Phantom Ganon from Wind Waker?
Phantom_Ganon_(The_Wind_Waker).png

In Hylian, his sword says Zubora Gabora. Zubora and Gabora are the names of the blacksmiths in Majora's Mask on Snowpeak. They are the ones that forge the Gilded Sword.

Zubora.jpg

Gabora.jpg
Ha! That deserves a bump.

bmf said:
Not just reborn, but reborn to the specifications of Rosalina. She actually reforms the universe to her own liking.
The end of Galaxy was quite awesome. I'm happy I reached 3 times in the last two weeks.

I think that's reading a little too far in. I'm pretty sure she said
that it was going to be different from how Mario remembered it, but didn't imply she controlled or designed it specifically.

I also don't believe Mario Galaxy was
a reboot any more than any other Mario title to the next, it was just them setting themselves up to make a sequel with similar characters and themes but all new settings. Like here's the Honeyhive Kingdom, except it's radically different from how it was in Galaxy 1. That sort of thing.

wrowa

Forkball said:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/zelda/images/a/a2/Phantom_Ganon_(The_Wind_Waker).png[IMG]

In Hylian, his sword says Zubora Gabora. Zubora and Gabora are the names of the blacksmiths in Majora's Mask on Snowpeak. They are the ones that forge the Gilded Sword.

[IMG]http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/9/90/Zubora.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/d/d3/Gabora.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
In a world where Nintendo cares about the timeline and the story of Zelda this would be a pretty shocking revelation. When the MM blacksmiths forged the sword of Phaton Ganon Wind Waker's world has to be Termina actually! Well, or at least the people of Termina must have found a way to travel to Hyrule at some point. Or the worlds got combined. Or whatever.

But well, we are not living in a world where Nintendo cares abut the timeline and story of Zelda.

Sagitario

ronito said:

Reminds me of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4024555&postcount=53 :p

wrowa said:
In a world where Nintendo cares about the timeline and the story of Zelda this would be a pretty shocking revelation. When the MM blacksmiths forged the sword of Phaton Ganon Wind Waker's world has to be Termina actually! Well, or at least the people of Termina must have found a way to travel to Hyrule at some point. Or the worlds got combined. Or whatever.

But well, we are not living in a world where Nintendo cares abut the timeline and story of Zelda.

Relax, it's just a nice little easter egg [which have always been present in the Zelda games]...

I know this isn't a secret or a mind blowing thing, but I found this to be cool:

3162695140_f11045fd77.jpg
3161861515_fa52bc204b.jpg

CO_Andy

Nintendo refused to released Bionic Commando on Virtual Console to spite Cap for releasing a 'supposedly' better version on other systems.

Forkball said:

Phantom_Ganon_(The_Wind_Waker).png

Zubora.jpg

Gabora.jpg
That is so cool you found that! Bump was deserved.

Clipper

Is it because the same set of four islands is repeated four times? That's hardly mindblowing.

Edit: Oh, warp pipe shaped islands. Nice.

ChoklitReign said:
My gosh... it took me a second... and then it hit me... and my mind was blown. Like others, I've seen this many times and it never hit me...

By the way, that's not Giant Land (world 4) - it's Pipe Land (or was it Pipe Maze?) (world 7).

batbeg

Is it just the middle island looking like a mushroom or is there something more to it? I knew that one looked like a mushroom already, so am intently staring down the picture :lol

Top Bottom