• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Soulhouf

Cocopjojo said:
I never knew you could kill these things in SMB3 (the orb and the jet fire):

SMB3Orb.png
SMB3Fire.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QVeVXyFMM
OMG, mind blown again by this game O_O

Jocchan: WTF this can't be real. This guy is up to something.
But wait, he seems quit interested...

jercruz

oh yeah, the tanooki drop as I call it.

i never really think it was that a secret then :O

i thought it was common knowledge...

bengraven

So they revealed the Google Triforce thing was a Zelda reference and now the artist is banned from Google and her images obscured to remove the Triforce.

Ezduo

Banned
bengraven said:
So they revealed the Google Triforce thing was a Zelda reference and now the artist is banned from Google and her images obscured to remove the Triforce.

Ooo, drama. Link?

Jocchan said:
Not strictly a videogame fact, and I hope it's not old, but this blew my mind:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2q0tt8n.jpg[IMG]
Special thanks, again, to Onilink (again not the one from this board), for linking me the pic.

Hint: [spoiler]Look at the guy on the left side.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

LMAO really! :lol

Chairhome

bengraven said:

They're probably just trying to cover their butts cause of possible copyright infringement.

Jocchan said:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2q0tt8n.jpg[IMG]
Special thanks, again, to Onilink (again not the one from this board), for linking me the pic.

Hint: [spoiler]Look at the guy on the left side.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]This guy needs to be in the background of more things. Kinda like an uninterested Waldo.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Chairhome said:
They're probably just trying to cover their butts cause of possible copyright infringement.
Nintendo didn't even come up with the Triforce design. I'm almost positive that it's some obscure religious symbol or something, though I'm having a hard time finding any info on it right now.

EDIT:

triforce.jpg

I forget what city/village this was in, but the triforce design was fucking everywhere, especially on a lot of items in some temple/shrine that we passed through. They didn't permit pictures inside it so this was the only one I got.

I can't for the life of me remember what the symbol itself was supposed to represent, though.

jaypah

Sixfortyfive said:
I forget what city/village this was in but the triforce design was fucking everywhere, especially on a lot of items in some temple/shrine that we passed through. They didn't permit pictures inside it so this was the only one I got.

probably Hyrule.

More about the "triforce" history:

And so we can trace the history of the Triforce symbol from three dragon scales to the symbol of a mighty family to the motif in Japanese graphic design to the Zelda games themselves.. But does this really have any significance for the Zelda games? Check back next week to find out . . .

triforce.gif

Source

jaxword

bengraven said:

Guess this is what happens when nerds get a little too excited and digg it everywhere...

Jazzem

Mama Robotnik said:
Thanks! I only noticed about a year ago myself. after a decade of playing the game.

What I noticed even later (and I can't believe its so blatant!):

Emerald Hill and Hill Top Zone are the same level, with a pallete-swap and some different trees. How did I not see this!?

You're treading a fine line between surprising me and destroying my childhood here :lol

But great finds nonetheless :) Again, I recognized recurring parts (namely, the grass), but damn, as you said that is pretty blatant! At least the backgrounds are different :p

Clearly the recolouring concept of cloud/bush has had a (subtle) influence on the industry!

BowieZ

Banned
Vitet said:
Oli said:
Not sure if this has been posted or not, I apologize if it has.

The music for World 2 [sic -- World 3] in Super Mario Bros. 3: Linky

Is the fairy fountain and file select theme from the Zelda series: Linky
It's the inverted version of the same theme with some minor changes
Actually, the Fairy Queen theme is comprised of two phrases, an antecedent and a consequent phrase: the second phrase (0:12 in the video) is not an inversion, it's a direct lift apart from a slightly different end few notes ;)

BooJoh

Clipper said:
That link is broken. Clear your cache if you still see it. It does seem that most if not all of the Google triforces are gone, which is crazy, as I don't think Nintendo has a copyright on the triforce design.

Well, whatever. Mind blown by corporate fear.
Weird... the link still works fine for me, but the Triforce in the Earth Day Logo I pointed out has been removed since I posted that.

Is such an ambiguous symbol really such a controversy? Consider my mind blown.

mclem

oracrest said:
This level in Bubble Bobble:
contains a giant scale sprite of the UFO ship from Space Invaders.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the middle section of that represents the bunkers and the stepped structure in the centre is the player's base, too. Er, I think. Both Taito games, anyhow. I admit, I always thought this one was fairly obvious, but I guess if you don't see it, you don't see it.

Chairhome

Sixfortyfive said:
Nintendo didn't even come up with the Triforce design. I'm almost positive that it's some obscure religious symbol or something, though I'm having a hard time finding any info on it right now.

jocchan said:
The Triforce is also a well-known fractal, the Sierpinski Triangle.

Guardian Bob said:
More about the "triforce" history:

I know this, but if you go to her personal blog, her profile pic is her dressed up as Link, and she has a bunch of Zelda fan art... so, its not hard to make the connection.

Now, I don't think the Triforce is copyrighted, but the connection is there, I'm sure there's some kind of policy behind it.

Also, from Jystiq
jystiq said:
Google got back to us about the existence, and subsequent disappearance, of the symbols, saying, "Our doodles aim to celebrate interesting events and anniversaries around the world that reflect Google's playful personality and love of innovation. As for our Triforce Easter egg, we're glad people discovered it and enjoyed it before it vanished back into the Zeldasphere. We appreciate people around the world looking into our artwork so closely!" Now, just to find that Zeldasphere ...

She probably wasn't fired... I think.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Nah, that's just Google's "Hey, we're zany and hip!" response. It still smells fishy.

BooJoh

Probably damage control on Google's part. They won't get a C&D from Nintendo since, well, they've already ceased, and this way they avoid the drama that would stem from treating this as an administrative action against her.

abombb

Banned
Jocchan said:
2q0tt8n.jpg

Hint:
Look at the guy on the left side.
Oh god, I...I think I need to lie down for a while.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
EmCeeGramr said:
C&D? Covering their asses?

It's three triangles, you crazies.
If they did just disappear for a while, that's just weird. I dunno, something about the way a lot of the stuff Google has written just rubs me funnily. Not, OMG CONSPIRICIES but just weird.

BooJoh

EmCeeGramr said:
C&D? Covering their asses?

It's three triangles, you crazies.
The mere fact that they vanished and Google said something about it shows that they saw it as more than that.

Clipper said:
What the hell? The triforces are back. THEY ARE ALL BACK.

I specifically checked that image and it was gone about 4 hours ago.

I guess they realised it was an unnecessary measure, or maybe even got an official go-ahead by Nintendo :p.
And yet, for me, they're gone again. I just refreshed, Ctrl+F5, even closed my browser and cleared my cache. Nothing there.

Clipper

BooJoh said:
The mere fact that they vanished and Google said something about it shows that they saw it as more than that.

And yet, for me, they're gone again. I just refreshed, Ctrl+F5, even closed my browser and cleared my cache. Nothing there.
OK, you're right. It's just because I'm on my work PC that's hidden behind a proxy that has a cache that takes ages to update. When I check on my iPhone that uses a different server, the images are gone or obscured again.

The triforce logo images never came back, sorry for the confusion :p.

Top Bottom