• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

how can one say the enemies in SMB2 don't really exist? At that point, we didn't know much of anything about the Mario world, outside of MB, SMB, Donkey Kong, and Wrecking Crew.

bjork

JodyAnthony said:
how can one say the enemies in SMB2 don't really exist? At that point, we didn't know much of anything about the Mario world, outside of MB, SMB, Donkey Kong, and Wrecking Crew.

^ this. It's like "I got all them pokemon, even Mew!" and then they go "no you didn't, here's a billion more including baby versions and egg versions and ones that only evolve at night etc."

SMB is like Johto, there's a whole Mario World (lulz) out there we didn't know about yet

Don't forget Rosalina
resetting the entire universe
at the end of Galaxy. Mario canon is in such a mess I don't think it'd be worth piecing it together.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Don't forget that we now all know that SMB3 was all just a play so clearly he would have required the cooperation of the koopas to put on such a play. That would lead me to believe that it took place some time after he established a friendship with some of them in Mario RPG.

JodyAnthony said:
how can one say the enemies in SMB2 don't really exist?

Because SMB2 USA is all a dream. They've filled in some of the enemies by including them in Yoshi's Island, but enemies like Birdo and Bob-ombs are still imaginary by the franchise standards.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All of this Mario continuity stuff is making my brain ache. You're all wrecking me :lol

ZAK

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Don't forget Rosalina
resetting the entire universe
at the end of Galaxy. Mario canon is in such a mess I don't think it'd be worth piecing it together.
And what if SMG is set at the beginning of the Mario timeline? Would that mean most of the Mario games never happened? Or is there now a possibility of a split timeline, like with Zelda and OoT?

jaxword

The Blue Jihad said:
Because SMB2 USA is all a dream. They've filled in some of the enemies by including them in Yoshi's Island, but enemies like Birdo and Bob-ombs are still imaginary by the franchise standards.

Well, Sm64 proves Bobombs exist in the Mario kingdoms, and Mario and Luigi 2 proves baby Mario fought them as a baby.

So they can exist in his adult subconcious.

The only wildcard is Birdo, but as Birdo is Yoshi's bf/gf, that proves he/she exists too!

yurinka

RevenantKioku said:
You can collect the letters E,X,T,R,A for an extra life.
And if you reach level 20 without losing a single life there is a secret bonus level full of diamonds.
Same happens if you reach level 40 without dying, and level 60, etc

Jezan

Pipomantis said:
Ok, it will sound stupid, but I juste realized that F-Zero = Formula Zero.

And the cars in F-Zero use a G-Diffuser System, the same that the Arwings use. :p

Mama Robotnik said:
I don't get it. Why do all the Nintendo fans focus on Zelda-timelines? Mario is where the complicated temporal shit is at.

They need to find a place/time to write their fanfic :p

Jezan said:
And the cars in F-Zero use a G-Diffuser System, the same that the Arwings use. :p

Don't forget that in one of the endings in Star Fox Command they start racing in the G-Zero Grand Prix.

DSC00205-medium.jpg

DSC00238-medium.jpg

Plus the cameo of James McCloud in F-Zero GX. Heck, they might as well just make an F-Zero/Star Fox crossover.

Cheerilee

IIRC, F-Zero was also originally meant to mean Friction Zero (since there's no contact with the ground). It would explain G-Zero as being Gravity Zero.

KevinCow

Banned
In Donkey Kong Country 3, you encounter a family of bears such as this one called the Brothers Bear.

scxlxt.png

While they all have slight differences such as their clothes and fur color, they share a generally similar facial structure, and all their names begin with B. There happens to be a certain other Rare bear who looks like he'd fit right in with this group and also happens to have a name beginning with B.

BanjoKazooieCover500px.jpg

My guess is that this was an intentional link between the two series, though whether Banjo or the Brothers Bear were designed first is anyone's guess. Furthering this theory is the fact that in the GBA port of DKC3, released after the sale of Rare to Microsoft, the Brothers Bear seem to have undergone a dramatic change in design.

15cc868.png

While other things like map screens were changed a bit, these were the only characters in any of the GBA ports of these games to be completely redone like this. Why? Probably for the same reason Banjo and Conker were removed from the DS version of Diddy Kong Racing.

Holepunch

Travis Touchdown:
f_travisgm_c64f68e.gif

Same Voice Actor as

The Medic
tf2_medic.jpg

and oddly enough

Also the Medic in Quake Wars
enemy-territory-quake-wars-20060419044346515.jpg

And The Scout
tf2scout1ag3.png

is the Better Safe than Sorry Church guy in L4D Death Toll Campaign

ZAK said:
And what if SMG is set at the beginning of the Mario timeline? Would that mean most of the Mario games never happened? Or is there now a possibility of a split timeline, like with Zelda and OoT?

I'm on it. I thought making a timeline for LOK was complex, but this is really something else. So far I have four seperate universes and three distinct temporal incusrsions. There will be a thread eventually to celebrate my collosal wastage of time.

Hope no one wants any gifs making anytime soon.

MNC

CommieCaptorS said:
Family tree this shit up.

We are witnessing the birth of another Mario-gate.
My heart jumped when I saw your post <3

E: Wait, what the fuck? Travis is the Medic!?

Mama Robotnik said:
I'm on it. I thought making a timeline for LOK was complex, but this is really something else. So far I have four seperate universes and three distinct temporal incusrsions. There will be a thread eventually to celebrate my collosal wastage of time.

Don't forget to combine the timelines at a certain point to explain Link showing up in Super Mario RPG :p

Talladega Knight said:
Don't forget to combine the timelines at a certain point to explain Link showing up in Super Mario RPG :p

I already have. My timeline has 13 seperate coexisting universes so far. Every cameo must be explained. Also, Samus's appearance in Mario RPG, the Pikmin in Mario Golf and the inter-universal bastard that is Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games are all being catered for.

Zelda timeline is nothing compared to this madness.

abombb

Banned
ZAK said:
*shoots self from confusion*

KevinCow

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
I already have. My timeline has 13 seperate coexisting universes so far. Every cameo must be explained. Also, Samus's appearance in Mario RPG, the Pikmin in Mario Golf and the inter-universal bastard that is Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games are all being catered for.

Wouldn't the Zelda timeline be part of the Mario timeline, since Link shows up in Mario RPG? Not to mention the Mario pictures in OoT, and the goombas, chain chomp, and Wart in LA.

And what about Smash Bros?

KevinCow said:
Wouldn't the Zelda timeline be part of the Mario timeline, since Link shows up in Mario RPG? Not to mention the Mario pictures in OoT, and the goombas, chain chomp, and Wart in LA.

Yeah, already including it all. This is my start so far:

(Universes Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Eta, Theta, Iota and Lambda form)

In Universe Alpha (UA) stars, planets and galaxies form

(In Universe Omega (UO) stars, planets and galaxies form)

(In Universe Theta (UT) stars, planets and galaxies form)

(In Universe Kappa (UK) stars, planets and galaxies form)

(In Universe Lambda (UL) stars, planets and galaxies form)

Mario's World (MW) forms in UA

(In UO, Earth1 forms)

(In UT, Earth2 forms)

(In UL, Earth3 forms)

(In Universe Eta (UET), three Goddesses come into existence)

(In UK, Hocotate and the Pikmin Planet form)

Life evolves on MW (Toads, Koopas, Yoshis, Humans, etc), on other worlds (X-Naughts, Shroobs, Tatanga's species) and in space (Star Spirits)

(In UO, life evolves on Earth, including humans)

(In Universe Beta (UB), The Tribe of Ancients and the Tribe of Darkness evolve)

(In Universe Gamma (UG), Master Hand evolves)

(In Universe Delta (UD), Demons evolve)

(In Universe Epsilon (UE), Smithy evolves)

(In UET, the three Goddesses create the world of Hyrule and fill it with life, then depart)

(In Universe Theta (UT), life evolves including humans, Chozo, and Space Pirates.)

(In Universe Iota (UI), Culex's species evolves)

(In UK, life evolves including Olimar's species and the Pikmim)

(In UL, life evolves including humans and animals with human characteristics)

(In UB, Timpani and Blumiere meet and fall in love)

(In UB, the Dark Tribe casts Timpani to the void between worlds. Blumiere goes insane with grief and turns to dark magic.)

(In UB, Blumiere becomes a powerful sorcerer and renames himself Count Bleck.)

(Universe Beta is destroyed by Count Bleck, who begins to explore other universes in his search for Timpani)

The first settlements form on MW including Rogueport.

(In UT the Chozo galactic civilisation forms)

(In UT the Chozo genetically engineer the Metroid species)

(In UD, the Demon known as the Shadow Queen, and her cohorts Bedlam, Marylin and Vivian depart to invade other universes)

+++Universal Incursion 1: The Shadow Queen and her cohorts arrive in UA+++

The Shadow Queen and her cohorts occupy and conquer Rogueport killing many of its inhabitants

Four heroes of UA sacrifice themselves to seal away the Shadow Queen. Bedlam, Marylin and Vivian escape

(In UT, the Human galactic civilisation forms)

(In UT, the Space Pirates Galactic Empire forms)

The benevolent Mushroom Kingdom is established, populated mainly by Toads

The aggressive Koopa Empire forms, an alliance of a diverse species under the rule of a King

The wizard Merlon is Born

+++Universal Incursion 2: Timpani emerges in UA+++

Timpani is dying from her exposure to the void between universes. The wizard Merlon transforms her into a Pixl so she can survive. Timpani renames herself

Tippi.

(In UL, Dr. Gerald Robotnik is born)

Kamek is Born

Toadsworth the Younger is born

Mario and Luigi's parents are born

(In UET, Ganondorf is born)

(In UL, Dr. Ivo Robotnik is born)

Bowser is born as King of the Koopa Empire. Kamek acts as his guardian and advisor.

Kamek has visions of adult Bowser's numerous defeats and attempts to create an alternate future in which the Mario Bros are eliminated

(In UT, Samus Aran is born)

(In UET, Link and Princess Zelda are born)

Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, and Wario are born.

[[Yoshi's Island]]

[[Yoshi Touch and Go]]

[[Yoshi's Story]]

---Temporal Incursion 1: Adult Bowser and Future Kamek arrive seeking the power of the Star Children, in order to conquer the future---

[[Yoshi's Island DS]]

The Yoshi named 'Yoshi' is born

---End of Temporal Incursion 1: Adult Bowser and Future Kamek return to their own time---

Toadsworth the Younger begins to act as Peach's guardian and advisor

The Shroobs invade MW

[[Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time]]

---Temporal Incursion 2: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and Toadsworth arrive from the future. Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach and Baby Bowser return with

them to the future, and the group jumps back and forth in time repeatedly---

---End of Temporal Incursion 2: All characters return to their native timelines---

---Temporal Incursion 3 - Unknown events cause Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach and Baby Donkey Kong to be taken to the future to play various sports with

their future selves, including Kart Racing, Tennis, Baseball and Golf---

---End of Temporal Incursion 3 - All characters return to their native timelines---

Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, Baby Bowser, Baby Wario, Baby DK and Baby Yoshi all grow up.

Donkey Kong Jr. is born

(In UO, Pauline is born on Earth1)

(In UL, Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Knuckles and Amy are born)

(In UL, Dr Gerald Robotnik creates the artificial lifeform known as Shadow the Hedgehog)

Peach becomes Monarch of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bowser becomes Monarch of the Koopa Empire.

(In UL, Dr Gerald Robotnik is executed by the Earth government)

+++Universal Excursion 1: Mario, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. travel to Earth1 in UO by unknown means+++

(In UO, Pauline and Mario meet. Mario adopts the nickname Jumpman)

(In UO, Donkey Kong captures Pauline, and Mario comes to her rescue)

[[Donkey Kong]]

(In UO, Mario Captures and restrains Donkey Kong, and gives him to a circus)

(In UO, Donkey Kong escapes the circus

[[Donkey Kong Circus]]

(In UO, Mario again captures Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong Junior attempts to rescue him.)

[[Donkey Kong 2]]

[[Donkey Kong Jr.]]

(In UO, Donkey Kong Jr. frees Donkey Kong)

(In UO, Mario returns to UA)

(In UO, Donkey Kong breaks into Stanley the Bugman's greenhouse to wreak more havoc.)

[[Donkey Kong 3]]

(In UO, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. follow Mario back to UA. Pauline remains in UO)

+++End of Universal Excursion 1: Mario, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. return to UA+++

Loads more to do and loads of gaps but its a start. To Zelda scholars who think the two-timeline theory is complex: Consider this behemoth.

Anyway, to keep this on topic: the videogame fact is: The Mario Timeline is more complicated than the Zelda timeline.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
All the characters are toys/trophies in Smash Bros. so you can exclude those games out of the continuity.

Yeah but where did Master Hand get the inspiration from the toys from?

Universe Alpha (UA), that's where.

But you could also say that the Smash Bros. universe is meta and Master Hand got the idea from playing Nintendo video games. After all, there are several video game systems in the background of the Melee trophy display room.

Overall I think this shit is getting way too meta for its own good.

Metalmurphy said:
What really blows my mind is that fact that she's not even attractive but gets all sort of attention just cause she's in the gaming industry.

I mean
jade-raymond-pic.jpg
jade-raymond-21b.jpg

Ugh...

most people who follow her are horny pron addicted gamers with little REAL LIFE social interaction with females

so I don't see why you are surprised

sorry to burst your bubble but the average gaffer isn't rolling up to club every weekend with a model in each arm

While we're still on voices:

Albert Wesker from the Resident Evil series
KJGB91l147179417_400x300.jpg

is also Alexei from Tales of Vesperia.
028.jpg
(I swear this is the only image i could find.)

um, she's attractive as hell, and not just because she's in the game industry, which i think is a stupid rationalization. i have many interactions with real life attractive females, and i can honestly say she floats my boat more than most women.

Talladega Knight said:
um, she's attractive as hell, and not just because she's in the game industry, which i think is a stupid rationalization. i have many interactions with real life attractive females, and i can honestly say she floats my boat more than most women.

That and the fact that I get hard for white brunette's doesn't help either :lol

I'm not sure how well known this is, but the Soundtracks of the Game Gear Sonic games as well as the European/Japanese version of Sonic CD's soundtrack are both influenced by the acid house band 808 State. In fact, several songs are practically ripped from their albums.

The most obvious examples of this are the boss theme from Sonic 2 and the character select screen from Sonic Chaos, but Sonic CD, which had the some of the same composers as Sonic 2 GG and one of the same composers as Sonic Chaos (Nafumi Hataya to be precise), is heavily influenced by and even samples the band's songs.

For reference:

Cubik by 808 State: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoFUiihvr0

Sonic 2 Game Gear boss theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vnAInBO8I

Metallic Madness's theme is similar at the beginning as well.

Metallic Madness Present: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeboaR4XZbQ&feature=related

Lift by 808 State: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFIzcucxn_k

Sonic Chaos character select: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTVJkjiTtWE

This one is a bit iffy, but Wacky Workbench has a section that's kinda similar to the background in the song Flow Coma.

Flow Coma by 808 State: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49P4GUA4AIY&feature=related

Wacky Workbench Present: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qniLNn2_zTY

Pacific is actually sampled twice in Sonic CD, both in the special stage theme and the time attack menu theme.

Pacific 707: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk5LinbN8HA&feature=related

Special Stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIr9bhyxjew&feature=related
(starts in the background around 0:24)

Little Planet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqDhFL15gA&feature=related

I just realized this last week and it blew my mind. Your mileage may vary.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mama Robotnik said:

You need to make a gif explaining the timeline, and at different stages of your understanding of it.

mclem

Mama Robotnik said:

I have to ask:

Super Smash Bros: Brawl? Subspace Emissary?
Pilotwings 64 (There's that Rushmore-style mountain)

Good luck.

Top Bottom